• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerk

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
It's common sense that if you dress slutty to a wrestling match all the boys will back out for fear of getting a boner and sexually assaulting you.

It is also common sense that some reactions are entirely automatic. People are not as thick as you seem to think.

Shanadeus said:
I wonder what people would say if a HS wrestler refused to wrestle with a male wrestler of a black ethnicity with the motivation that his religion consider though between a black man and a white man inappropriate.
Come on.........

Kalnos

Banned
Shanadeus said:
I wonder what people would say if a HS wrestler refused to wrestle with a male wrestler of a black ethnicity with the motivation that his religion consider though between a black man and a white man inappropriate.

You deserve a ban from life for that comparison.

kevm3

The difference between male and female is much larger than between males of different races. I don't get what's so hard to understand. Should Mike Tyson have been allowed to fight Laila Ali?

Slavik81

Shanadeus said:
When you're judging him, take a step back from the action and ask why he's doing that.

In your scenario, the reason why he would avoid wrestling the black man is completely different from his reasons in this case, even if they both stem from religious beliefs. Hence why those two cases are not analogous.

Dude Abides

Banned
Reading more about this, his refusal seems based on not wanting to engage in violence with a female, not really about the sexual aspect. Also, he took his forfeit and only whined about it a little bit, so he seems like an ok kid.

Fugu

kevm3 said:
The difference between male and female is much larger than between males of different races. I don't get what's so hard to understand. Should Mike Tyson have been allowed to fight Laila Ali?
If Laila Ali had qualified for the same fight that he did, yes.

Shanadeus

Banned
Slavik81 said:
When you're judging him, take a step back from the action and ask why he's doing that.

In your scenario, the reason why he would avoid wrestling the black man is completely different from his reasons in this case, even if they both stem from religious beliefs. Hence why those two cases are not analogous.
The reason he'd avoid wrestling with the black man would be because his religion prohibits this. The reason this young fellow didn't want to wrestle with this girl was also because his religion prohibits close contact between females and males:

"As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

Or am I misinterpreting this statement?

Raistlin

Shanadeus said:
So the religious defence isn't applicable when the religion offends your sensibilities?

I guess that's not at all happening here.
Ya'rly.

Why isn't the comparison valid?

kevm3 said:
Talk about shit comparisons lol

I don't see why this is a big deal to anyone. It was his choice to take the loss and he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Losing 3-2 in overtime in your second consolation match has to suck, though.

cubicle47b said:
I don't see why this is a big deal to anyone. It was his choice to take the loss and he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Losing 3-2 in overtime in your second consolation match has to suck, though.

Just post "who cares" next time. It's what the cool kids do.

MIMIC

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I didn't even want to play 2 on 2 basketball against girls at college(I/we did) let alone having to wrestle one.

In college, I was playing a basketball game and there was this one girl on the other team. She went for a shot and I jumped up and stuffed the SHIT out of her.

Everyone laughed and I was actually embarrassed that I did it, lol. But at the same time, I wasn't going to show her any mercy just because she was a girl. I'd rather WIN and be embarrassed than lose and be embarrassed.

Iceman

Slavik81 said:
You don't hit anyone in wrestling. Doing so would be against the rules.

I won a match (at a tourney) in the final minute by chopping my opponent's left elbow with my left hand from the top position, grabbing his wrist with my right hand and then grabbing his head with my left elbow (to pull his head to the mat) and used his arm to torque him over, placing most of the weight of this body on his neck and shoulders for the pin.

I can guarantee you that guy was in pain... and it was a completely legal move.

There aren't any jabs or uppercuts or haymakers allowed obviously, but strategic chops/slashes to limbs are absolutely essential (based on my coaching).

MIMIC said:
In college, I was playing a basketball game and there was this one girl on the other team. She went for a shot and I jumped up and stuffed the SHIT out of her.

Everyone laughed and I was actually embarrassed that I did it, lol. But at the same time, I wasn't going to show her any mercy just because she was a girl. I'd rather WIN and be embarrassed than lose and be embarrassed.

I love you, Mimic. Good on you.

Raistlin said:
Wow, that's the most egocentric, pussyish line of thinking possible.
How so? I have seen the aftermath of wrestling a woman first hand. His first two statements are correct, the third is his own opinion if the boy made the right choice or not.

MWS Natural said:
How so? I have seen the aftermath of wrestling a woman first hand. His first two statements are correct, the third is his own opinion if the boy made the right choice or not.

Yeah, the two statements were accurate. I remember what it was like when someone else on the wrestling team had to wrestle a girl. I don't remember anyone backing down because of it, though, and I'm not sure why it came up because it obviously had to do with his religious beliefs (beliefs which he wasn't pushing on other people).

Raistlin

MWS Natural said:
Let's assume it supposedly is a lose-lose situation for him. That, of course, would only be considering him. It completely disregards her and the sport. Forfeiting like that is an extremely disrespectful to do to another athlete and to do to the game. He should just suck it up. Some things are bigger than him.

The fact the poster only considered him in the equation is why I consider it a selfish line of thinking.

Shanadeus said:
The reason he'd avoid wrestling with the black man would be because his religion prohibits this. The reason this young fellow didn't want to wrestle with this girl was also because his religion prohibits close contact between females and males:

"As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

Or am I misinterpreting this statement?
Why do all of these discussions always have to bring black people in it?? It's like we need our own Godwin's Law or something..

Raistlin said:
Let's assume it supposedly is a lose-lose situation for him. That, of course, would only be considering him. It completely disregards her and the sport. Forfeiting like that is an extremely disrespectful to do to another athlete and to do to the game. He should just suck it up. Some things are bigger than him.
It's his choice if he wants to wrestle or not...she doesn't see it as disrespectful:
"If it's his religion and he's strong in his religion, then I just respect that," Black said. "Obviously, everyone can be pointing fingers at him. He, at least, is true to his beliefs and you have to respect that. It takes a lot for a 15- or 16-year-old boy to do."

When I was in high school there was a male division and a female division
Wrestling with the chicks on the team during practice was always pretty fun though

MWS Natural said:
Why do all of these discussions always have to bring black people in it?? It's like we need our own Godwin's Law or something..

It's his choice if he wants to wrestle or not...she doesn't see it as disrespectful:

I think it's odd that the black analogy is frowned upon even when it's accurate.

"OMG THEY'RE NOT COMPARABLE!!!!!"

Raistlin

MWS Natural said:
It's his choice if he wants to wrestle or not
Which has zero to do with my point.

...she doesn't see it as disrespectful:
Or maybe she's bigger than he is. Regardless, still has nothing to do with the point.

In the particular post in question, I wasn't commenting on the wrestler at all.

Shanadeus said:
C) Make feminism an obligatory subject in school but make sure students don't feel it's a chore (you could for an example give out a 15$ or so a week to all those that show up at these classes and do well).
I don't see how acknowledging that women deserve equal rights would make teenage boys okay with inflicting pain on them.

Shit, and if even the girl was okay with him doing it everybody needs to drop the outrage, it's getting silly.

Dave Inc. said:
I don't see how acknowledging that women deserve equal rights would make teenage boys okay with inflicting pain on them.

Shit, and if even the girl was okay with him doing it everybody needs to drop the outrage, it's getting silly.

Not silly at all. the word you're looking for is sexist. "He just wants to hold the door for her!!!" She doesn't want the door held.

Alucrid

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Not silly at all. the word you're looking for is sexist. "He just wants to hold the door for her!!!" She doesn't want the door held.

...wait, I hold the door for everyone. I thought I was being nice, but it was just sexist? Damn.

kman3000 said:
People say they miss the "lol" smiley, but I miss the eye-rolling smiley the most of all.

Care to contest my point? If you hold a door for a girl simply because one does this for girls, then you are being sexist.

Just like if you say "I don't wrestle girls" when they have proven themselves and set up to the match.

krypt0nian said:
I think it's odd that the black analogy is frowned upon even when it's accurate.

"OMG THEY'RE NOT COMPARABLE!!!!!"
Natural's Law - is a humorous observation made by GAF poster MWS Natural in 2011 which is becoming an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1. In other words, Natural put forth the hyperbolic observation that, given enough time, in any online discussion regarding any form of conflict someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to discrimination faced by blacks.

MWS Natural said:
Natural's Law - is a humorous observation made by GAF poster MWS Natural in 2011 which is becoming an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1. In other words, Natural put forth the hyperbolic observation that, given enough time, in any online discussion regarding any form of conflict someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to discrimination faced by blacks.

Good one! :D

But I'm still always going to compare interracial marriage to the gay marriage struggle in the gay rights threads. ;)

Raistlin

MWS Natural said:
Lol. Pretty accurate law I suspect.

That said, this is one of those cases where the comparison actually does make logical sense.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MWS Natural said:
Standing Ovation

chyeah!

kman3000

krypt0nian said:
Care to contest my point? If you hold a door for a girl simply because one does this for girls, then you are being sexist.

Just like if you say "I don't wrestle girls" when they have proven themselves and set up to the match.
No it's called being a nice person. But next time I walk into a building and a girl is walking behind me I'll make sure to slam the door in her face and when she gets pissed at me I'll let her know I did it because I'm not sexist.

kman3000 said:
No it's called being a nice person. But next time I walk into a building and a girl is walking behind me I'll make sure to slam the door in her face and when she gets pissed at me I'll let her know I did it because I'm not sexist.

*whoosh*

Being a nice person is opening the door for everyone. Not because they are girls. That is being sexist.

I expect you not to be able to comprehend the last sentence. Man, I even bolded it so you could catch on. Wow...

kman3000

krypt0nian said:
*whoosh*

Being a nice person is opening the door for everyone. Not because they are girls. That is being sexist.

I expect you not to be able to comprehend the last sentence. Man, I even bolded it so you could catch on. Wow...
Nope I completely understood your point. But thanks for insulting me :)

*ignore

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think whats more shameful is that he missed a perfect opportunity for a good heel swerve. Convince her that he's going to forfeit, as soon as her back is turned, schoolboy her for the pin, and give the crowd the ol index finger to the temple to show how you outsmarted EVERYONE!

MIMIC said:

Yeah, my example really didn't have to do with this specific topic about this wrestler, I just didn't think it was fair that me and this guy I didn't know(we were just shooting at a hoop in the gym) would go against these two girls.

I was happy to play with them but I thought it should be one guy with one girl in this 2 on 2 but they insisted they wanted to play them against us.

I was like "ok" and like I thought, we totally torched them scoring at will and whatnot.

Then they decided we should play this freethrow line rebounding sequence taking turns bullshit and we did that for a while and then they left.

I am all for confident females and agree that many have tons of skill in sports, etc... but what happened wasn't much fun and I wish they would have played guy/girl against guy/girl.

After basically trouncing the girls, I didn't feel good or bad about it, it just felt like a waste of time when it could have been more fun.

AceBandage said:
Well, there's really no hitting in wrestling either.
It's like sex with unitards.
The hell there isn't! A good stiff forearm to the head says otherwise. It doesn't get penalized, either, since you were "going for the grab." And the ground is much harsher on your head, than a fist. Would you deny hitting a girl, because you slammed her head into the ground, instead of punching her in the face?

Anyway. There is no separate women's division in wrestling, just like there isn't women's football(American). So, women just have to play with the men. I can't fault the kid's decision, though. It's a recreational sport, and if the rare occurence of being matched against a female conflicts with his moral code, then he can do what he needs to do.

Sibylus

Banned
There's nothing particularly noble about disrespecting your opponent's will to compete, especially if they're actually able to do so. But then again, it isn't really surprising to see someone so young stick rigidly to a religious principle, and fail to pay attention to important things like context and discernment.

kman3000 said:
Nope I completely understood your point.
You really, really didn't. Acting as if slamming the door in the face of women was the logical extension of his argument... you've either severely misunderstood him or have chosen to be disingenuous. Pick your poison.

Dan Yo

Banned
I am appalled that girls have been allowed into the boys division all of this time. I'm appalled that anyone is even suggesting that he should have gone ahead and wrestled her.

What in the hell is this world coming to? Political correctness has gone horribly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom