• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC might be announcing the new Vive on the 8th

Blam

https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/949339978521169920

DSyvBz0VMAEEYTE.jpg:large

There's speculation if this includes the new controllers as well but we will need to wait and see whats up.

bee

damn that's good news, wonder which resolution it'll be, i'm thinking some kind of 1440p equivalent, quite the upgrade whilst still being relatively easy/cheap to drive

Toe-Knee

damn that's good news, wonder which resolution it'll be, i'm thinking some kind of 1440p equivalent, quite the upgrade whilst still being relatively easy/cheap to drive

I thought it was already 1440p?

Edit:1200p

abracadaver

I bought an Oculus Rift just 2 weeks ago but I will buy a new Vive on day 1 if the resolution is at least 1440p

Resolution is the biggest flaw for me right now (Supersampling helps)

Kadayi

Banned
Curious to see, though that price point needs to come down. Been pondering getting into VR, but knew it was probably a good idea to wait for the updated versions versus being an early adopter.

MultiCore

I want more than just resolution.

Eye tracking? Foveated rendering?

Knuckles?

Better displays with lower black levels, less motion blur and higher refresh rates and response times?

HDMI 2.0/2.1?

Edit:
Better support for VR SLI?

Flyinmunky

I had and sold a Oculus Rift DK1 and 2, also had and sold the Vive. Each one was a step in the right direction but resolution always was a step below acceptable for me.

I've been holding off upgrading my PC untill Vive 2 launches. As long as the spec looks good ill finally jump back in.

Dalto11

Glad I've held off. I may jump on it after this if they do upgrade. Though the lens in the art work make me worry that they're not improving optics/god-rays. Only time can tell!

Haemi

I have a Vive. But with a higher resolution, bigger FOV, foveated rendering and the new controllers... i don't know if i could resist...

Edit:

New hardware isnt going to solve this problem. This is dependent on software-- the graphivs API, game engine, and graphics driver all have to support it, and then game developers actually have to build in support. Would be nice if dx 12 or vulkan had an easy way to enable disable sli support but sli is dying and it will never be.

Cheaper mix reality version with xbox one pad?

Its pretty clear high end isn't working or selling after ocolus cut price.

MultiCore

New hardware isnt going to solve this problem. This is dependent on software-- the graphivs API, game engine, and graphics driver all have to support it, and then game developers actually have to build in support. Would be nice if dx 12 or vulkan had an easy way to enable disable sli support but sli is dying and it will never be.
Yeah, I know.

NVIDIA claimed that Pascal was supposed to have a bunch of VR SLI specific enhancements. I haven't heard anything about them outside of press releases.

My problem is that GPU power is low when it comes to VR. We need More Power™ to get things going with VR, especially if they're raising resolution without foveated rendering/eye tracking.

I just got lost on my wishlist for VR. I didn't mean to imply the headset has anything to do with GPU performance.

Unless this higher resolution display also means increased field of View, I'm going to hold off on getting excited about this. Seeing things slightly clearer isn't as important to me as eliminating goggle vision.

Prat

4k with foveated rendering would be beautiful

Unless this higher resolution display also means increased field of View, I'm going to hold off on getting excited about this. Seeing things slightly clearer isn't as important to me as eliminating goggle vision.

also this :p

12Dannu123

I want more than just resolution.

Eye tracking? Foveated rendering?

Knuckles?

Better displays with lower black levels, less motion blur and higher refresh rates and response times?

HDMI 2.0/2.1?

Edit:

I find the reality of Knuckles being used in the future becoming less and less likely. The problem I think is that Knuckles will break compatibility of all other games that use Vive wands.

Reallink

The problem is wider FOV will quickly eat up any resolution gains. Pimax's dual full 4K RGB panels are in practice reportedly only minor improvements over the current Rift/Vive in terms SDE/resolution with pixel structure still readily apparent. Most likely HTC will opt for custom dual OLED's (square), which will by necessity of current tech, probably be 1600x1600ish or 2048x2048ish. Increasing FOV would quickly make that kind of modest pixel gain a wash compared to the current headsets. Of course they can improve the lenses and nix the pentile, but for the foreseeable future, the manufacturers are going to have to choose either FOV or perceived resolution in order to see a big improvement, not both. Splitting the difference will likely result in something that looks slightly wider and slightly higher res, but nothing world changing in either direction. I don't see the major manufacturers using off the shelf 5" 16:9 phone LCD's in a monstrous housing like Pimax, which is probably the only way to see massive gains this year.

wondermega

Interesting to hear, not really concerned with getting my hands on a newer kit anytime soon. Current Vive and PSVR are really checking all of my boxes, until they get super lightweight/wireless/ inside out tracking and so forth. As a developer I'm keen to continue working with current Vive setup overall, but keep them coming..

bee

seems it's called vive pro, 2880 x 1600 resolution which is a 78% increase, just need to see the price before i buy, oh and sell my old vive

Blam

seems it's called vive pro, 2880 x 1600 resolution which is a 78% increase, just need to see the price before i buy, oh and sell my old vive

Vive Pro is probably the shittiest name I've ever heard for anything of an upgrade. And wow that's a bad thing to have released on HTC's part. Now you're gonna get less adoption for the newer systesm when they do come out. This would be more like a Vive 1.5 then a Vive Pro.

bee

wireless adapter also

In addition, the manufacturer announces the Vive Wireless Adapter for the HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro , with which you can connect the headset without a cable to the PC. The adapter uses Intel's WiGig technology, unlike TPCast , but you have to be patient for a while. Only in the third quarter of 2018 should the adapter come on the market. Open and exciting the price remains: Although TPCast for the first HTC Vive available, but for around 350 € anything but a bargain. Whether the Vive Wireless Adapter can position itself here as a price-breaker remains to be seen. Whether TPCast with the HTC Vive Pro without (too) large latency problems or even works remains to be seen.

bee

the ces show is on now, they announced a HMD only upgrade option! won't be selling my old one after all it seems, good idea to keep you locked into their ecosystem

wireless adapter in the summer

Flyinmunky

Confused a bit. Need more information. Need info on whats happening with the new controllers and base stations...will they be included in a package this quarter or are they only releasing the head set? Wireless adapter in summer is great news though.

Pc i will build will be 8700k, 16gb Ram, 500gb ssd and GPU will be whatever is best SIngle (Non Titan) card available in next few months.

Last edited:

GamingArena

the ces show is on now, they announced a HMD only upgrade option! won't be selling my old one after all it seems, good idea to keep you locked into their ecosystem

wireless adapter in the summer

Makes no sense to keep your old one, you better sell whole package and get Vive PRO with new 2.0 base stations too, what will you do with extra outdated headset? and who would buy the headset by itself, would be just waste of space and money keeping it!

LaserHawk

The biggest thing I want them to fix is the blurry peripheral vision. The rest sounds really nice, especially being able to go wireless.

But from the sounds of it, they made this new hardware based on requests from business interests, like the auto industry. They also describe it as the choice for "hardcore VR enthusiasts". This sounds expensive to me. That wireless connector and the new controllers are sold separately as well.

Well... whatever. I guess I wait for reviews and see if this one is my jumping-in point. And see if I have enough money when the time comes. I always told myself "wait for the updated version".

Top Bottom