• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive international prices leaked (899€ / £689)

iceatcs

Lmao. PC VR equivalent of Bugatti Veyron or supercar of VR. The best thing to read from this thread.

Gangxxter

Chû Totoro;196997762 said:
Maybe one day people will learn that US prices are WITHOUT taxes while EU ones are WITH taxes -_-

EU is still a little more expensive but it's not 20% more expensive.

How much are the taxes in the US? 7%?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe one day people will learn that US prices are WITHOUT taxes while EU ones are WITH taxes -_-

Oh and regarding the price, now console owners are going to feel even more like peasants lol

PC VR

Console VR

Of course you want a car to offer you a way to go from point A to point B but there's different ways to do it. With PS VR it may be less "impressive".
What I mean is that some games well optimized on PC with Vive could feel like something console owners can only dream of. VR is not like other platforms, it's very power demanding so having less power and a less high end tech Headset will make things way more challenging for devs. But it may be a good thing, difficulties and constraints are what leads to innovation. Maybe some of the best games will end up being console only games.

I'm really impatient to see the first big impressive games, exclusives or not. I'm not totally hyped by VR even if some of the tech and games shown seem to be good but seing what the industry can come up with this semi new toy will be at least fun to watch.

Edit: oh and regarding the price and the PC I have for now.... in 2016-2017, if I'm jumping in, it'll clearly be with PS VR. And actually I'm asking myself if the rumored 300-400€ price could make the difference. I just hope they don't sacrifice too much the quality of the experiences they offer. Because shitty PS VR will hurt VR as a whole, not only PS VR :/

That's just being silly.

How about this: PSVR owners will be very happy to have experiences that are close to what PCVR offers, at a fraction of the entry price.

If someone has a PS4 and not a gaming PC, they've already made the choice that they are happy with a Toyota rather than a Lamborghini. Adding VR onto that is a pointless comparison really - I doubt many people are suddenly going to throw their PS4 in the trash and soend $1500+ on a PC+OR.

vary little? They vary in almost everything important! : Screen resolution, lenses, controllers included, range of motion (room-scale), hardware admitted (ps4 vs pc)..

Yes, they vary extraordinarily little compared to sports cars.
Also, range of motion and the admitted hardware you mentioned do not even influence the price.

The comparison is just silly.

Tabris

That Canadian price is based on 70 cents which the Canadian dollar hasn't been for like a month.

That's the shitty thing about the Canadian dollar fluctuating is it'll take retailers a while to update their MSP's.

TrueOutlook

Neo Member
I'd assumed AUD$1199 for Australia. USD$899 is likely going to translate to $1299 rather than $1249.

Considering that the Oculus Rift in Australia is supposed to be around $1200 dollars, I think pricing the Vive at $1300 would be optimistic. To be completely honest, I'm expecting it to be around $1500 - $1700 in Australia.

Looks like importing is the way to go.

Reactions to these prices are always amusing.

The PC space is filled with incredibly expensive peripherals. Just look at monitors or special controllers.

And I find also funny those "I'll wait for gen2" comments. Wake up, it's not like the second iteration will be introduced at a much cheaper price.

Best we could hope for is a 10% difference. Just look at how other tech devices are sold (iPad, Surface, high-end smartphones, etc.).

If the tech bar is raised iteration after iteration, unless some magical breakthrough revolutionize everything, prices will stay the same.

And yes, I know a lot of people would like to buy this new shiny toy. But it's better to read angry posts than having a sub-par device sold at an acceptable (by whose standards anyway?) price.

Just my two cents. Mass adoption will come with time.

How much are the taxes in the US? 7%?
Depends on the state and municipality. Where I live it's 6%. Other places it can be as high as 15% or as low as 0%. Buying digital is always 0% and buying online can typically be 0% depending if the place you buy it from has operations in your state. For example, Amazon opened up distribution centers in Pennsylvania the last few years so now I get charged sales tax on anything shipping from those centers. If anything ships from out of state I don't pay sales tax.

Depends on the state and municipality. Where I live it's 6%. Other places it can be as high as 15% or as low as 0%. Buying digital is always 0% and buying online can typically be 0% depending if the place you buy it from has operations in your state. For example, Amazon opened up distribution centers in Pennsylvania the last few years so now I get charged sales tax on anything shipping from those centers. If anything ships from out of state I don't pay sales tax.

Not always. Nintendo eshop charges tax.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Taxes aren't the only differentiator for price. In Europe you get two year full warranty, in the US it's what, 90 days? That cost factor is of course considered when setting a price. And you have to anticipate future currency conversion rates, price isn't decided on by todays conversion rates.

Again with this stupid comparison, jesus christ.
Both are first-gen, unproven pieces of technology that haven't even been in consumers hands yet. The car analogy does not work.

Yeah it's not that accurate but saying that a big budget gaming PC with Vive will offer the same possibilities as PS4 + PS VR is just being blind.

Games will make the difference but PC has a good point here, now if you want to counter balance maybe PC bad point will be the fragmented user base with lots of different configurations (both VR platform and PC) making things more complicated for devs than going for a simpler route on PS4.

Oh and regarding the price, now console owners are going to feel even more like peasants lol

PC VR

Console VR

Of course you want a car to offer you a way to go from point A to point B but there's different ways to do it. With PS VR it may be less "impressive".
What I mean is that some games well optimized on PC with Vive could feel like something console owners can only dream of. VR is not like other platforms, it's very power demanding so having less power and a less high end tech Headset will make things way more challenging for devs. But it may be a good thing, difficulties and constraints are what leads to innovation. Maybe some of the best games will end up being console only games.

I'm really impatient to see the first big impressive games, exclusives or not. I'm not totally hyped by VR even if some of the tech and games shown seem to be good but seing what the industry can come up with this semi new toy will be at least fun to watch.

Edit: oh and regarding the price and the PC I have for now.... in 2016-2017, if I'm jumping in, it'll clearly be with PS VR. And actually I'm asking myself if the rumored 300-400€ price could make the difference. I just hope they don't sacrifice too much the quality of the experiences they offer. Because shitty PS VR will hurt VR as a whole, not only PS VR :/

If it had 4k Output and Foveated Rendering, I'd say the Lambo analogy would work. I have the money for a rift and I don't care about roomscale but they cancelled my order because or 'shipping'.

Qassim

UGH. I'm still so undecided on Rift vs Vive. I may just order both and then wait and see which one ships first and cancel the other one.

Nzyme32

There's now an official blog post with the international pricing. They've also announced that Tilt Brush will be included with every pre-order.

http://blog.htcvive.com/us/2016/02/international-pricing-for-vive-pre-order/

Neat!

Both Tilt Brush and Job Simulator are amazing fun, but Tilt Brush is something really spectacular that I could definitely spend an insane amount of time with since it is so open ended to creativity.

Everything I've seen of Fantastic Contraption also seems like a lot of fun with the freedom to be silly with creations. Walking around even just a bit is so powerful, and building things with that seems ideal.

Mikeside

You should be looking into which product has a better software library.

We don't really have enough information on that right now.

It SEEMS like the Oculus Rift games are actually only tied to the Oculus store, with them saying they're not restricting headsets at all, just the storefront, but that some developers might not code their games to play with OpenVR (so, Vive)

On the other hand, at launch at least, room scale games are only going to work with Vive, but it could be shockingly quick that the Rift is expanded to allow room scale. I'm sort of expecting it to happen when Oculus Touch comes out later this year (which I still think is a fucking stupid decision on Oculus' part)

...essentially, we just don't know. Even if games AREN'T made to be compatible with one or the other headset, unless it's because of a feature like room scale or motion controls being manditory, it shouldn't be that hard for the community to get a hack together for cross compatibility, which people are expecting to happen pretty quickly.

We'll see, basically.

Qassim

We don't really have enough information on that right now.

It SEEMS like the Oculus Rift games are actually only tied to the Oculus store, with them saying they're not restricting headsets at all, just the storefront, but that some developers might not code their games to play with OpenVR (so, Vive)

On the other hand, at launch at least, room scale games are only going to work with Vive, but it could be shockingly quick that the Rift is expanded to allow room scale. I'm sort of expecting it to happen when Oculus Touch comes out later this year (which I still think is a fucking stupid decision on Oculus' part)

...essentially, we just don't know. Even if games AREN'T made to be compatible with one or the other headset, unless it's because of a feature like room scale or motion controls being manditory, it shouldn't be that hard for the community to get a hack together for cross compatibility, which people are expecting to happen pretty quickly.

We'll see, basically.

Yep. I've tried comparing the two on various fronts - each has different advantages and I dunno which ones I think I care about more.

Mikeside

Yep. I've tried comparing the two on various fronts - each has different advantages and I dunno which ones I think I care about more.

It's an impossible task right now, which is why it's a little silly that people are already taking sides.

There's a lot of petulant people talking about what massive dickheads Oculus are for locking things down (it's easy to get caught up in it with so little real info) but they don't really know how much it IS locked down. I sort of suspect Oculus aren't being that bad but are being cagey because they want as many pre-orders as possible

There's also a lot of Rift fans talking shit about Vive and how it's not getting any games, etc etc.

Just keep an open mind & put a pre-order on the one you like the look of better, if you want. I'm literally only going with the Vive because I can get it sooner. I think both products are going to be amazing.

artsi

Even if games AREN'T made to be compatible with one or the other headset, unless it's because of a feature like room scale or motion controls being manditory, it shouldn't be that hard for the community to get a hack together for cross compatibility, which people are expecting to happen pretty quickly.

Maybe, but if those games are important I would not buy Vive only based on this possibility, as it hasn't been done yet once. Might take some time.

I'm still thinking if I'll pre-order Vive tomorrow, or wait until later this year. I want to get both eventually but there's other things I could use 899€ for now.

Zozobra

So do all preorders need to be done through the HTC site, or are there Canadian retailers that I would have to do it through?

V.R. D.O.A.

There's going to be alot of buyer's remorse at those price points.

I guess we can kiss mass market adoption of VR goodbye again too.

Fret

V.R. D.O.A.

There's going to be alot of buyer's remorse at those price points.

I guess we can kiss mass market adoption of VR goodbye again too.

and $599 was a reasonable price for the PS3/bluray player combo in 2006

It was still a flop. And this will be a much bigger one.

Hey look, its another gaf VR thread with 90% of people not knowing anything about VR!

It's almost as if Oculus and HTC aren't targeting the mass market with these prices, and only to enthusiasts! Wow! Imagine that!

You need a Great PC to power it too.

I ordered the Oculus Rift and have a pretty beast PC. Now my order is cancelled thanks to freightfowarding.

Vive doesn't ship to my country and I'm too annoyed to order again if they plan on cancelling my order in a month.

Thanks for annoying part of the already the small target market.

Hey look, its another gaf VR thread with 90% of people not knowing anything about VR!

It's almost as if Oculus and HTC aren't targeting the mass market with these prices, and only to enthusiasts! Wow! Imagine that!

I'm the target market with a PC and 1000$ to blow on tech, but they decided to say nope can't ship.

I'm on the fence about ordering again just to have another cancel.

Well that sucks, but it's just unlucky

Honestly though they are already targeting a small market but still wanting to find ways to create doubt or just annoy them.

I was already prepared to spend 100$ on my own shipping after paying for the base 30$USD shipping.

Now I'm like F it.

None of these shipping prices for the two already costly headsets are enticing. It's more of the I have no choice but to put up type deal.

Yeah this confirms I will not be getting VR on PC in 2016.

Balls in Sony's court now then, £349 or under and I'm in, any more and I will wait.

Tainted

Yeah this confirms I will not be getting VR on PC in 2016.

Balls in Sony's court now then, £349 or under and I'm in, any more and I will wait.

Here in Aus, if it ends up being anything over $500aud ...I'll probably steer clear as well. A device which costs more than the console itself would be a pretty hard sell for many imo

Sanctuary

How many decades until this do you think it will take?

screenshot_671.jpg

UrbanRats

The difference is, they have expectations in check.
They've been repeating this for 2 years now.

Sony was expecting to sell PS3s to everyone and their grannies.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
Also, range of motion and the admitted hardware you mentioned do not even influence the price.

The comparison is just silly.

So, now Lighthouse (the tracking system that allows for a larger tracking volume and less occlusion) costs as much as a camera? The things you learn on NeoGAF....

Top Bottom