• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-is-799/

HTC Vive is $799, Ships ‘Early April’ And You Can Answer Phone Calls In VR

The consumer Vive includes Bluetooth phone integration to keep you connected while in VR

The HTC Vive will cost $200 more than its chief competition, the Oculus Rift. The $799 headset, powered by Valve’s SteamVR, will ship with a controller for each hand and a pair of “Lighthouse” laser base stations to track movement in a room-scale environment.

The price was announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, where it was also confirmed Vive will ship with an internal microphone and integrated Bluetooth support to work with a variety of smartphones. For a limited time, the system will come bundled with two popular titles: Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption.

Editors Note: Another publication broke the embargo on this information so we are matching what’s publicly available. Updates to come at 9 a.m. with quotes from Valve and HTC.
Wow.

How much for Canada..?

MUnited83

For you.
sounds reasonable. Considering that it includes the controllers and room trackers this is about what I expected it to cost.

komplanen

No thanks.

( I'll buy the gen 3-4 version for third the price and double the features a couple of years down the line.

PSVR will have to do until then.

deoee

Bye bye VR (for me)

But I did not expect this to be cheaper.

Will they fuck over Europeans and the ROW over too just like OR did?

vareon

Packing it with Job Simulator is brilliant, since you're going to need all the job you can have to afford this.

Man

kaz-hirai-747x309.jpg

With that said: I think this is a better price than the Oculus Rift considering what you get. Will pre-order but the sticker-shock will keep this niche.

Thoraxes

A lot less than I expected.

At least it comes with everything in the box at launch.

I'll still be waiting though. It's too big an investment to jump in day 1 for me.

Actually a little bit cheaper then I expected from the chatter surrounding it.

People expecting VR to sell big number early are going to be in for a shock though. I hope the initial slow sales wont kill off the entire scene.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's what I expected. Now only to see if they use decent conversion to EUR prices and decent shipping costs, not like Rift. If that is happening I'm in.

Won't that be around the price of the Rift once the Rift has the motion controllers and tracker stuff?

Either way, VR seems too much investment for me at the moment

Hip Hop

Yeah, I mean, this the full fledged VR experience unlike the PSVR or Oculus.

Hefty price, but expected.

longdi

Banned
lololololol, not only do the Vive give off the impression that it is a Gear VR clone to casuals (me included), you expect people to pay $799 + whatever the costs of the PC, to play some Steam indie games???

HTC may as well closed down now! Time to dump their stocks.

DieH@rd

Banned
That is way to expensive for me, but I expected it to be high. At least it does not cost more.

Do we know EU pricing?

AAAAAAAAAAY.
Cant they just release an headset ALONE ???

What's the point of that? Everyone would then need to buy two lighthouses and two hand controllers. Everything has to be a part of package.

It will help devs because they will get stable ecosystem. Oculus has already split users to those who will only have Xbone gamepad and those who will dish out more money on separate hand gamepads.

Maybe that guy was right when he made that thread stating all VR was dead on arrival.

Save us PSVR, you are our only hope for affordable, good quality VR this decade.

Parham

Banned
Why are some folks here surprised? Wasn't it expected the Vive would be most expensive VR solution of the bunch?

Flyinmunky

This is less than i thought. I'm guessing bout £699 for UK. Its never a straight doller to pound conversion as it be more round £550, cant see that happening

How much in Europe, 900€?

also

Editors Note: Another publication broke the embargo on this information so we are matching what’s publicly available. Updates to come at 9 a.m. with quotes from Valve and HTC.

lol, ComputerBild edited that article shortly after it went up.

That is way to expensive for me, but I expected it to be high. At least it does not cost more.

Do we know EU pricing?

What's the point of that? Everyone would then need to buy two lighthouses and two hand controllers. Everything has to be a part of package.

It will help devs because they will get stable ecosystem. Oculus has already split users to those who will only have Xbone gamepad and those who will dish out more money on separate hand gamepads.

For some people, all they want about VR is basically the 3D headset with nice FOV and headtracking. I know some people want the full set, but I'm from these people who only wants an headset to display games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I mean, that seems like a fair price for what you are getting, but sticker shock is going to be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom