• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC VIVE Pre devkits SHIPPED and new dev site

Compsiox

Banned
VivePRE.png

The HTC Vive Pre is now making its way to developers’ studios around the world. If you’ve been working with us to build content using the first version of our dev kit, check your inbox for the key and instructions you’ll use to upgrade that old kit to a new Vive PRE.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/666899628994620161

NEW DEV SITE:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5254-FJKZ-7829

Mrbob

How does Valve/HTC think people watch TV? Every image is the couch pushed to a weird side angle to the TV.

Full movement VR is going to be a giant bomba. Wii 2.0 but probably without the massive early success.

kennyamr

I'm hyped for this one cuz I'm hearing it's the best one of the big three.
Now we just have to wait for PSVR news to complete the holy trinity.

What I don't get is how the Oculus will successfully gain a sizeable market.
If I were a harcore PC gamer, I'd probably go for the best tech meaning the Vive.
If I were a console gamer, I'd choose the PSVR cuz of how easy will be to use it with my PS4.

Oh well, we'll see.

I guess maybe the Oculus will work with Xbox One at some point? hmmm

Nzyme32

How does Valve/HTC think people watch TV? Every image is the couch pushed to a weird side angle to the TV.

Full movement VR is going to be a giant bomba. Wii 2.0 but probably without the massive early success.

Part of the setup for room scale is making space if you don't already have a big enough space. If you want to scale to just standing, you only need enough space to extend your arms, so chances are you will not need to adjust your room. The choice is up to you and what you can do.

The min requirement for room scale is 6.5ft x 5ft, which isn't as absurd as the maximum size of 15ftx15ft

InsistentGivingGrassspider.gif

Plus, SteamVR doesn't assume you have a room already setup

rwgkzouguf3ou2oxkpsa.gif

I wish they would just give us a release window and a price. How much can be up in the air now.. this should be the final developers kit?

Nzyme32

Shouldn't these cartoon guys be getting strangled by cables?

Yeah probably. There are no cables for anything for the sake of a simple explanation. If you wanted to be pedantic about it you could comment on the fact their feet are not full planted to the floor, so they could just step over them, as most people are going to have to do if they are doing multiple 360s. I'm not bothering with VR till later iterations with better hardware and hopefully wireless. But I'm definitely in on the idea of room-scale volumes for VR

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah probably. There are no cables for anything for the sake of a simple explanation. If you wanted to be pedantic about it you could comment on the fact their feet are not full planted to the floor, so they could just step over them, as most people are going to have to do if they are doing multiple 360s. I'm not bothering with VR till later iterations with better hardware and hopefully wireless. But I'm definitely in on the idea of room-scale volumes for VR

You'll submit to VR before it gets to that point I promise.

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh..... You might wanna forget that wireless bit.

VR more than absolutely anything else is HEAVILY dependent on a lag free display, and wireless can literally never ever be as fast as wired. It's impossible.

I'm hyped for this one cuz I'm hearing it's the best one of the big three.
Now we just have to wait for PSVR news to complete the holy trinity.

What I don't get is how the Oculus will successfully gain a sizeable market.
If I were a harcore PC gamer, I'd probably go for the best tech meaning the Vive.

If I were a console gamer, I'd choose the PSVR cuz of how easy will be to use it with my PS4.

Oh well, we'll see.

I guess maybe the Oculus will work with Xbox One at some point? hmmm

Room scale VR isn't something I'm interested in and honestly are that many people going to use it on a regular basis?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Part of the setup for room scale is making space if you don't already have a big enough space. If you want to scale to just standing, you only need enough space to extend your arms, so chances are you will not need to adjust your room. The choice is up to you and what you can do.

The min requirement for room scale is 6.5ft x 5ft, which isn't as absurd as the maximum size of 15ftx15ft

rwgkzouguf3ou2oxkpsa.gif

6.5ft X 5ft is really small for 'room scale'. Barely enough space to stand in the middle and stretch your arms out. That pic on the right for the standing experience - the guy is totally going to out his fist through his expensive monitor, or break his fingers by smashing them into his desk

tokkun

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. We can't even get controllers entirely lagless, and they wanna try your entire field of vision? Good luck I guess.

Controllers operate on 800 MHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz channels. Latency can be bad because there is a lot of contention on those channels. You are competing with a bunch of other wireless signals from your neighbors' wireless routers and other devices. Packet collisions require frequent retransmits.

This is not a problem for devices that operate on 60 GHz because at that wavelength signals do not penetrate walls, so you don't have to worry about contention as long as you don't set up multiple devices on the same channel in the same room.

rwgkzouguf3ou2oxkpsa.gif

I don't see any disclaimers or asterisks on that second screenshot. BRB, staging a lawsuit worthy "accident"

Lets all take a step back and think about something. Wireless video transmission is nice and all, but has anyone considered the encumbrance of wearing a high-capacity battery on your face? Even if you wear the batter in your pocket and wire it to the headset, battery life is going to be 1-2 hrs tops, and it's going to be more annoying than just using a cable.

Compsiox

Banned
Lets all take a step back and think about something. Wireless video transmission is nice and all, but has anyone considered the encumbrance of wearing a high-capacity battery on your face? Even if you wear the batter in your pocket and wire it to the headset, battery life is going to be 1-2 hrs tops, and it's going to be more annoying than just using a cable.

SOLAR POWER /s

artsi

If the battery is large enough (something like the size of two smartphones sandwiched) I think it could power the screens and transmission for a longer time.

Bsigg12

Hololens is already doing it. 3-4 hours of full usage and that's with onboard processing and computing. That same style of battery running strictly wireless connections and video would last at least 6 if not 8 hours.

Hololens is already doing it. 3-4 hours of full usage and that's with onboard processing and computing. That same style of battery running strictly wireless connections and video would last at least 6 if not 8 hours.

Drastically different technologies. Also Hololens has like a 40 degree FOV, abysmal.

Soi-Fong

My boss actually told me that he got an email from HTC today stating that we'll be getting the Vive Pre in by this Friday. I am excited as heck!!! lol

I can take a few pictures and stuff if you guys want.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My boss actually told me that he got an email from HTC today stating that we'll be getting the Vive Pre in by this Friday. I am excited as heck!!! lol

I can take a few pictures and stuff if you guys want.

Pictures would be welcomed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. We can't even get controllers entirely lagless, and they wanna try your entire field of vision? Good luck I guess.
The Vive controllers astonished me at their responsiveness and I play at 120Hz on my PC at home.
I think right now they still 'need' the external tracking for this. I'd like to see how the Oculus feels.

9mwEI9V.jpg

Soi-Fong

Got our Vive Pre dev kits in the studio!! In the process of taking down the Lighthouses for the original Vive right now. lol

Top Bottom