• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive shipment delays/issues

viveks86

There are tons of posts about shipment issues that are consuming the OT. These are legitimate concerns and I feel should be a thread of its own, so that the OT can be used by those looking for impressions, setup guidance and other hardware/software related discussions

Looking at my crystal ball now and I can see a lot of sadness in here. For those stuck in shipment limbo, keep calm. VR heaven awaits.

ViolentP

I feel like all I need to do is try one and it will hold me off until it really starts to pick up traction. As it stands, I'm almost tempted to buy one.

Jthn

Neo Member
Have they mentioned the reason for the delay? Production shortage or just shipping issues?

I'm in the limbo for both headsets.

My KS Rift is still on "pre-order".

My Vive (ordered on the first minutes and so in the first wave) has not yet shipped.

So we wait.

jaaz

May squad checking in.

Me too. Ordered the afternoon of launch day, 2/29, because I forgot it was launch day. What I don't understand is how the HTC website is still showing May delivery if you order now. Unless they have no intention to deliver in May, of course.

Zalusithix

Me too. Ordered the afternoon of launch day, 2/29, because I forgot it was launch day. What I don't understand is how the HTC website is still showing May delivery if you order now. Unless they have no intention to deliver in May, of course.

Quite a few possibilities. One is that production is ramping up so the amount of orders that they can fulfill goes up considerably in May compared to April. Another is that that the orders were massively front loaded with the first few minutes making up the bulk of the existing orders. Or a combination of both.

billeh

Ordered at :06, charged back in March and haven't heard anything since.

Absolutely ridiculous that there are still people out there that ordered at :00-01 and still haven't received a unit. Besides everyone else that ordered in the first 10 minutes still being empty-handed.

YuShtink

If you told me last month that I wouldn't have either a Rift :)05 pre-order) or a Vive :)02 pre-order) by mid-April I would have laughed in your face...

GameSeeker

I have a Vive on order, but I don't see any delays.

HTC said Vive would start shipping/arriving on April 5 and it did. Every day since then they have been shipping orders to customers. HTC never promised folks a specific day they would receive their order. The order confirmation E-mail either says your Vive will ship in April or May.

If HTC ships all the April orders by April 30th, they will be on schedule. Too many impatient customers assumed that 100% of the April shipments would happen the week of April 5th, which is not what HTC said.

I am going to wildly speculate and say that they setup their supply chain for a couple thousand orders at first. Then when they got hit with a huge wave they had no idea how to fix it in a month. So far
1)They've sent things out of order contrary to their promise of sending things out of order
2) A few reports of multiple vive units to one person
3) A few reports of vive units NEVER EVER BEING CHARGED after the pending drop and delivery.

The rest seems like a lot of whining.

Qassim

HTC said Vive would start shipping/arriving on April 5 and it did. Every day since then they have been shipping orders to customers. HTC never promised folks a specific day they would receive their order. The order confirmation E-mail either says your Vive will ship in April or May.

If HTC ships all the April orders by April 30th, they will be on schedule. Too many impatient customers assumed that 100% of the April shipments would happen the week of April 5th, which is not what HTC said.

You're missing the point of the complaints. The source of a lot of complaints is that they (at least for Europe, not really been following other regions) shipped out of order, so that people that, for instance ordered up to 90 minutes after pre-orders went live have been getting it *in their hands* before people who ordered way before them. Not only that, but orders 00 - 04 minutes are seemingly stuck in limbo, with some orders still going out which were ordered later than that as recent as today. They initially denied this was happening but then were forced to admit they did, but the problem is, we haven't seen any real rectifying actions, at least for the UK today.

It's totally fine to me that my order isn't here. What isn't fine to me is that HTC is shipping other people their Vives well before the people who ordered *well before* those people, it's not good.

YuShtink

Just like Oculus, they intentionally misled people into thinking much larger initial batches would be going out. So yes, technically some people did get their Vives "on time." But yes, it's still scummy as fuck and they should be apologizing and doing something to make up for the dishonesty (that still continues).

And let's get real - there is no chance in hell that all the "April" pre-orders are going to be shipped in April at this point. Thinking HTC will reach that quota is insane.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Louisiana order, 5 min in. They charged my card, then the hold was released on Monday. No word from HTC, nothing on FedEx, and as far as I know not a single person in Louisiana has their Vive yet.

I'm still insanely excited for the product, but HTC handled this horribly.

Animator

I am playing with fire here but has anyone changed their shipping adress after placing the order? Mine ships in May and I want to change that from my home adress to work adress because I will be at work but with the way HTC is handling shipping so far I am afraid to change it.

Wonder why their web store says they are in stock. I'd be quite unhappy if I made an order right now and it didn't ship by Monday or Tuesday. In stock to ship sometime this month or next? What? That's not how you do business.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Preordered both rift and Vive about 9 seconds after they went live, it seemed. Still waiting on shipment.

Shoyz

Paypal timestamp suggests I'm a :01 order. Praying today is finally the day I get my tracking.

Why Canada got Overnight shipping on Wednesday for Thursday delivery and Thursday US shipments got 2-Day Shipping for Monday Delivery? What a mess. I'd feign hope for overnight+saturday delivery to get mine tomorrow but I'd be lucky to get mine Tuesday.

Yesterday they said the issues were fixed and it would be first come first serve shipping from thereon, and we still saw :07 orders getting priority. Maddening.

YuShtink

Paypal timestamp suggests I'm a :01 order. Praying today is finally the day I get my tracking.

Why Canada got Overnight shipping on Wednesday for Thursday delivery and Thursday US shipments got 2-Day Shipping for Monday Delivery? What a mess. I'd feign hope for overnight+saturday delivery to get mine tomorrow but I'd be lucky to get mine Tuesday.

Yesterday they said the issues were fixed and it would be first come first serve shipping from thereon, and we still saw :07 orders getting priority. Maddening.

So far it looks like not a single tracking number has been given today. No shipping initiated whatsoever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Dan, is that you?

HTC started processing a bunch of people around midnight in the 31st March - including me and some others on here. This would be in line with the them shipping in time to arrive on 5th April. But many orders were blocked by the banks, likely because of the way digital river presented them.

On Saturday morning HTC sent out an email letting those people know there was a problem and to talk to your bank so the charge wouldn't be blocked again - they would resubmit soon. Literally a few minutes after that email, they sent another email informing everyone affected that their order was cancelled. Again their fault.

The affected people had to try and get brought to HTC support and get their orders reinstated. We were reassured that we would not lose our place in the queue. This was Saturday for me.

I haven't heard anything since. I haven't heard anyone that had their order wrongly cancelled receive their vive yet - or even shipping info.

So not only have we clearly lost our place in the queue (we were literally processing 8 days ago), we have no idea when they will finally ship and HTC are not able to give us any information either. At this point it seems clear that any units that may have been allocated to us were probably shipped out to PayPal orders - which is another fuck up as no credit card orders at all seemed to ship for a couple of days.

Technically they didn't promise anything but even a tiny bit of reading would give you enough context to understand that we aren't just whining because we thought they'd all arrive in Tuesday, were whining because we've been led up the garden path repeatedly with no end in sight.

(Doesn't help that many of us are in a similar situation with the oculus rift too. Perfect storm of shit at the moment)

Mihos

Gold Member
I am in the second April wave, which means I probably expect a shipping notification at 11:59 pm on April 30th

There's also a rumor going around on Reddit that no orders are being shipped today. Someone was told in the shipping megathread by "customer service".

GameSeeker

Just like Oculus, they intentionally misled people into thinking much larger initial batches would be going out. So yes, technically some people did get their Vives "on time." But yes, it's still scummy as fuck and they should be apologizing and doing something to make up for the dishonesty (that still continues).

And let's get real - there is no chance in hell that all the "April" pre-orders are going to be shipped in April at this point. Thinking HTC will reach that quota is insane.

Your comments are complete speculation and have no basis in fact. Let's wait for April 30th and see how they have done. I will be happy to complain if they miss the 30th for my Vive, but I'm not complaining before that.

Wallach

Wonder why their web store says they are in stock. I'd be quite unhappy if I made an order right now and it didn't ship by Monday or Tuesday. In stock to ship sometime this month or next? What? That's not how you do business.

Yeah, that seems kind of weird to me as well. I don't know in what context they could be considered "In Stock".

wurzle

Neo Member
I got my preorder confirmation email at 00:01:05 (yes, 65 seconds after preorders started), but BofA decided the $20 steam purchase I made a few minutes earlier was suspicious, and declined the charge from HTC.

I called both BofA and HTC immediately, and HTC assured me they would be resubmitting the charge and I wouldn't lose my place in the preorder line. Several days later I got an email from HTC that they had cancelled my preorder, so I called BofA back to ask whether there had been an another attempt to charge my card (there had not), and then called HTC. HTC said I had to create a new order, but I still wouldn't lose my place in line.

The second order was billed to my credit card last Saturday, and has been sitting in a pending state for the 6 days since then. HTC

I'm patient enough to wait until this thing shows up, but it is hard not to be disappointed that my making the effort to get my order in ASAP didn't result in getting one of the first batch of vives. Oh well, once it shows up it is here to stay.

I got my Vive, and I'm very close to cancelling my Rift, despite it being one of the first waves.

I will not be able to be provide any information regarding your estimated shipping date.
Got this as a response from the Rift support while asking about cancelling my pre-order depending on its shipping date. Frustrating.

YuShtink

Your comments are complete speculation and have no basis in fact. Let's wait for April 30th and see how they have done. I will be happy to complain if they miss the 30th for my Vive, but I'm not complaining before that.

See you May 1st lol

Some context as to why I'm past the point of "Wait and see":

They did straight up say the week beforehand that Vives would start arriving on the 5th.

They said they sold 15,000 vives in 10 minutes, insinuating that that would be their launch allotment, which would mean that around :02 I could only have maybe 3-4k people in line ahead of me. So have only a couple thousand shipped total? We were led to believe both of these launches were going to be more substantial all the way up until a couple days ago when people started calling them out.

They also lied to me last Thursday when they said my declined order was fine and would be charging again in 24-48 hours.

They lied to me again the next day saying it would recharge in 24-48 hours and that I didn't lose my spot.

My order was subsequently canceled on Saturday morning. I had to jump through hoops and get a new order placed and again was told I didn't lose my place in line and to expect shipment "any day".

Fast forward an entire week. The pending charge in my bank account is gone, I've received no shipping. Other shipments are STILL going out to people that were thousands of spots behind me in the order cue. Yesterday support told me they can no longer estimate when I'll get my Vive but it should be "soon."

And NOW today I can't even access my order information anymore. No orders in my history on HTCVive.com and I get incorrect order/password messages when I try to follow the link in my order confirmation e-mail, when it worked fine as of yesterday.

What in the fuck is going on? How can anyone defend being strung along like this?

Reallink

Dan, is that you?

In all seriousness, lot of these apologists conveniently overlooking the real issuues really are turfers. Only seems to be HTC curiously, not much of it in the Oculus camp. They all keep repeating the same rhetoric as though it's a script. Note there's no Oculus Shipping Issue thread either afaik cause no one's trying to manage/control the dialog like HTC is.

Mikeside

I had a nightmare getting any actual information about what was going on with my +1 minute Vive pre-order despite being in constant contact with HTC VP Daniel O'Brien, but he assured me that I'd be the first UK order to go out after the batch went on Wednesday.

Despite not really giving me any information as to what happened, he (and HTC VP of Comms Julia Herd) managed to get my order shipped today, out for Monday.

It freaking sucks, guys without shipping yet, but there's light at the end of the tunnel and I hope you get your emails very soon!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had a nightmare getting any actual information about what was going on with my +1 minute Vive pre-order despite being in constant contact with HTC VP Daniel O'Brien, but he assured me that I'd be the first UK order to go out after the batch went on Wednesday.

Despite not really giving me any information as to what happened, he (and HTC VP of Comms Julia Herd) managed to get my order shipped today, out for Monday.

It freaking sucks, guys without shipping yet, but there's light at the end of the tunnel and I hope you get your emails very soon!

Were you a cancelled order or was your payment ok?

Mihos

Gold Member
Wow, the barren Midwest.

We're out here... only two pins in my city, although I know of at least 10 orders just from friends. I won't be back in the country until the 23rd, so I am not in a huge hurry.

I am watching the bank account though, to make sure the charge goes through.

I hate to hear it. My order was a May batch anyway so I'm not keeping nearly as close a look at my Vive order but I'm suffering the same pain with my Oculus order. I really just desperately want to play Elite Dangerous in VR. I hope they are able to catch up. I would hate to see my Vive order slip beyond May, I did order on feb 29th.

Monger

I really didn't expect it the 5th but when I saw the authorization charge and then HTC started shipping to the west coast I got pretty excited like it would be coming soon.

So I'm not mad and haven't complained, but it certainly is a letdown. They really did a shit job of managing customer expectations and communicating the process and that's where a lot of the frustration is coming from.

Mikeside

Were you a cancelled order or was your payment ok?

Not cancelled.
I discussed with the bank and they said "the money's on hold, digital river need to take it - a pretty standard arrangement, what idiot's got you phoning us in a panic about it?" more or less

Top Bottom