• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei phones outside of China to lose Google Play services/Android Updates

CyberPanda

Banned
Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware and software products except those covered by open source licenses, a source close to the matter told Reuters on Sunday...

...Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app. Details of the specific services were still being discussed internally at Google, according to the source.

Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through the open source license that is freely open to anyone who wishes to use it.

But Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward, the source said.

Ovek

7Member7
Ouch thats a ballsy move considering they are one of the largest and best selling manufacturers using Android. Thats all Huawei's future phones completely fucked everywhere but China.

Virex

Banned
Ouch thats a ballsy move considering they are one of the largest and best selling manufacturers using Android. Thats all Huawei's future phones completely fucked everywhere but China.
Yeah it sucks. I really wanted to upgrade to the P30 Pro last week. But I had a feeling that I shouldn't so I took the XS Max. And I am glad I did now. But this sucks for Huawei users. The P30 Pro that I worked on was one damn nice phone. And the photo quality was insane

Ovek

7Member7
Yeah it sucks. I really wanted to upgrade to the P30 Pro last week. But I had a feeling that I shouldn't so I took the XS Max. And I am glad I did now. But this sucks for Huawei users. The P30 Pro that I worked on was one damn nice phone. And the photo quality was insane

Yeah one of the best if not the best Android phone on the market today. It's a damn shame, I wonder what triggered Google to take such drastic action.

Using a P20 Pro and it's comfortably the best phone I've ever used. Fingers crossed all this nonsense has blown over by the time I go for contract renewal in '21.

Virex

Banned
Yeah one of the best if not the best Android phone on the market today. It's a damn shame, I wonder what triggered Google to take such drastic action.
Trump signed something which caused Google to pull all support for Huawei. A bunch of companies jumped on board as well. Intel, AMD, Broadcom etc. Also will no long supply Huawei with any chips or software

Last edited:

manfestival

They could have easily made these phones normal but I guess they really are just pawns of the government. If this isn't confirmation of such then I don't know what would be aside from them flat out admitting it.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
They could have easily made these phones normal but I guess they really are just pawns of the government. If this isn't confirmation of such then I don't know what would be aside from them flat out admitting it.

No, this is just Google obeying the law. It didn't really have much of a choice with Huawei on the Commerce Department's "entities list." There's no evidence (not public, at least) that Huawei's phones snoop on people. That's not to say Huawei is guaranteed innocent -- just that Google has to do this regardless of what the truth is.

Ownage

Man I dodged a bullet now. Almost upgraded to a P30 Pro last week because it was very impressive. But decided to stick with Apple and upgraded from my 8 Plus to an XS Max. Glad I rather went with Apple again.
Almost did same, went for a S9+. Super happy with Samsung.

manfestival

No, this is just Google obeying the law. It didn't really have much of a choice with Huawei on the Commerce Department's "entities list." There's no evidence (not public, at least) that Huawei's phones snoop on people. That's not to say Huawei is guaranteed innocent -- just that Google has to do this regardless of what the truth is.
So what you are saying is... to wait for the fallout of the stocks of huawei to hit peak bottoms and BUY BUY BUY

Virex

Banned
So what you are saying is... to wait for the fallout of the stocks of huawei to hit peak bottoms and BUY BUY BUY
The only stock Huawei has is the stock that belongs to the CCP...cough I mean it's not a public company and all stock belongs to the company "employees"

Last edited:

DKehoe

D6_vnkXW0AAQj_Q.jpg

Last edited:

I was going to say, it's ironic that spooks Google of all things can't support a spy product.

Not that I doubt that Huawei products have backdoors and shit for China to snoop on people - god knows, the US IC makes our companies do it.

Last edited:

mekes

I might be wrong, but I don’t think this affects phones already on the store shelves or in customers hands. Just upcoming shipments and releases.

Still, better check and play it safe if you’re in the market for a new phone.

nikolino840

I might be wrong, but I don’t think this affects phones already on the store shelves or in customers hands. Just upcoming shipments and releases.

Still, better check and play it safe if you’re in the market for a new phone.

Not sure..i have a BlackBerry too and when they stopped whatsapp i wasnt able to use It even if i had the app installed in the phone

HoodWinked

i think this is a good move from google and i think the spying stuff isn't even the main reason they're doing this. Huawei is fast approaching to becoming a major oem for android and this means more leverage. Huawei operates close with the chinese government and huawei becoming the face of android isn't great. Google seems to have much better relations with other OEMs like Samsung, Oneplus, LG or their internal Pixel products.

Renoir

so. if i get a huwaei phone i cant root it and get Gapps on there?
I mean not everyone can do that but, can the techies still buy the phone and be ok with some tinkering?

I'm going to buy a Huawei for everyone in my family now. Very happy with the P30 and old school Mate 7. I don't use google play store/services and I've been teaching my relatives how to avoid that trash also. Youtube and Gmail apps for example are absolute crap.

There's plenty of 3rd party stores that offer unrelated apps and games. The highest grossing/most played mobile games are Chinese anyway. Just need some translations.

whats chinas retaliation going to be?

Make an even better phone, this time with a non-google inbuilt store. Maybe bring Wechat abroad with full merchant and app functionality.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
I'm going to buy a Huawei for everyone in my family now. Very happy with the P30 and old school Mate 7. I don't use google play store/services and I've been teaching my relatives how to avoid that trash also. Youtube and Gmail apps for example are absolute crap.

So you don't watch youtube on your phone at all? Surely the app is better than using a browser?

I'm quite heavily invested in Google's services. I use Google Music and YouTube daily. I have smart home products that I control with Google Home and the Google Home App. Google Maps is far better than any other GPS app I've ever seen (please educate me if I'm wrong here).

Meh, you can probably still root it and install Google Play manually. Amazon Fire tablets are supposed to be stuck with just Amazon Marketplace but it takes less than a minute to get Google Play on it. Someone's bound to make a foolproof way to get Google Play on Huawei phones.

Ovek

7Member7
Meh, you can probably still root it and install Google Play manually. Amazon Fire tablets are supposed to be stuck with just Amazon Marketplace but it takes less than a minute to get Google Play on it. Someone's bound to make a foolproof way to get Google Play on Huawei phones.

You can quite easily install Google Play and all the other Google Apps on a Huawei Chinese edition phone, much like Amazon and the Fire TV stuff they really don't go out of their way to stop you installing them.

Last edited:
So you don't watch youtube on your phone at all? Surely the app is better than using a browser?

I'm quite heavily invested in Google's services. I use Google Music and YouTube daily. I have smart home products that I control with Google Home and the Google Home App. Google Maps is far better than any other GPS app I've ever seen (please educate me if I'm wrong here).

Nope, the experience is superior on a browser. Fewer things to press to get to my favourites/music and it works with the screen off plus much more stable. Youtube app has crashed. All these devices have big enough screens for browser use.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

Hey, things are looking up for Huawei.

ARM has cut all ties with Huawei and Panasonic is suspending some stuff.

Oh, wait, thats not good at all.

greyshark

Not going to happen, after all.

Looks like it's only temporary - the ban will go into affect after 90 days unless they pass another extension (or make a deal).

Hey, things are looking up for Huawei.

ARM has cut all ties with Huawei and Panasonic is suspending some stuff.

Oh, wait, thats not good at all.

Huawei owns the permanent license of the ARMv8 architecture, which it can further develop independently. It also produces its own SOC.

Too little, too late.

Last edited:
Do they own a fab?

Yep. And 28 hardware research centers around the world, employing scientists in over 20 countries. Huawei is like Samsung but on steroids. It's the largest hardware/electronics manufacturer on the planet. People need to stop comparing it with the likes of Apple or Google.

Last edited:
Top Bottom