• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HUB] Far Cry 6, Spot The Ray Tracing: 30+ GPU Benchmarks

Md Ray

Video Index:
00:00 - Welcome back to Hardware Unboxed
01:46 - Built-in Benchmark
02:14 - Our Benchmark Pass
03:04 - 1080p Ultra
05:36 - 1440p Ultra
07:26 - 4K Ultra
08:39 - Ultra vs. Medium Quality
09:18 - 1080p Medium
10:59 - 1440p Medium
12:54 - 4K Medium
13:45 - Ray Tracing Quality
14:48 - 1080p Ultra DXR
15:17 - 1440p Ultra DXR
15:38 - 4K Ultra DXR
15:56 - VRAM Usage
16:57 - Back to you Steve

RT is working and there is a difference:

diFSNPK.png

cS2E9KP.png
KYFsfoE.png
RT is working and there is a difference:
mPC2pGY.png
XjXHQSB.png

bP96uTk.png
Ak3G7TY.png

Last edited:
well raytraced shadows and reflections especially in jungle like maps/zones is a waste of resource. You'd have to be an idiot to enable them. I';d even argue that raytraced shadows entirely in any game is a waste of resources.
RT reflections are worth it just to get rid of screen space reflection artifacts which just make so many games a lot uglier than they should.

Rt shadows, sure disable those if it lets you, and you have a weak card. But it is better.

Kuranghi

RT reflections are worth it just to get rid of screen space reflection artifacts which just make so many games a lot uglier than they should.

Rt shadows, sure disable those if it lets you, and you have a weak card. But it is better.

Tell me about it, I was just checking something in FC5 on PC and I just turn the SSR off it looks so bad, especially while flying. Its super jarring how the water surface/rain puddles change when you turn them off at first but you get used to it imo, I do miss the rougher metal reflections though, I don't mind those really.

I'm so glad I'm just playing on PS5 this time and don't need to think about any of this given how frustrated I've been with stuttering and issues in recent PC releases. Can't wait to get a PC upgrade next year and outperform my console again but I think PS5 is the way to go right now for me.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Performance looks great on all cards.

Wouldn't bother turning on RT for that performance hit.

Not on Steam so I'll be skipping.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Lethal01

Last edited:

Kenpachii

It's pretty tiresome how ignorant most people are to how limited SSR is. How can anyone look at something like this and go "RT is not worth it"?

sadly this game features non of that raytracing because the amd cards will die out in the next frame.

This game uses barely any raytracing besides really minimal shit that's straight up almost not noticable in order to keep performance on AMD cards up. So its best to disable it.

Not only does raytracing give you a performance hit on the GPU but it massively tanks CPU performance.

u4ea

Tell me about it, I was just checking something in FC5 on PC and I just turn the SSR off it looks so bad, especially while flying. Its super jarring how the water surface/rain puddles change when you turn them off at first but you get used to it imo, I do miss the rougher metal reflections though, I don't mind those really.

I'm so glad I'm just playing on PS5 this time and don't need to think about any of this given how frustrated I've been with stuttering and issues in recent PC releases. Can't wait to get a PC upgrade next year and outperform my console again but I think PS5 is the way to go right now for me.
I have to agree, sometimes no reflections are better than ssr, but it depends on how bad it is and how much camera control you have. Re2 remake I would disable that shit lol, hope to get an RT version of that game.

Me personally, i'm going to end up playing more games on PC than last gen due to RT is really going to end up being integral to visual design this gen and consoles are already omitting RT on cross gen games or just looking significantly worse. Seriously, no RT in far cry 6 doesn't bode well imo. But if the ps5 version is legit i'll of course get it instead because of physical copies.

Last edited:
It's pretty tiresome how ignorant most people are to how limited SSR is. How can anyone look at something like this and go "RT is not worth it"?
Mario 64 reflections > SRR. SSR was a huge backwards step and while it can work OK in limited scenarios, it should have never become a standard or built in to middleware like Ue4... It made it too easy to just flip a switch because otherwise maybe some devs would have come up with better solutions.

Oh well, the witch will soon be dead lol.

Md Ray

video in the OP, timestamped

Wow, didn't pay attention to that chart. Wth is going on there?

EDIT:
Okay... 3090 is only 6% faster than 3070 here. Likely an NVIDIA driver overhead problem with DX12 then.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Looks like the good ol' NV driver overhead issue mixed with CPU-limited scenario due to 1080p.

That would effect all nvidia cards then not just 3080. the 3080 is the superior card over 3070 range yet performs worse. At this point its just blatently obvious that ubisoft is crippling performance on purpose. Unless hub is full of shit but i give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

PSlayer

Honestly Ray tracing seems to be a big deal in very reflective environments,like in spiderman. In more natural environments, state of the art rasterization methods can do a similar job without the performance penalty.

winjer

Gold Member
This is a broken game, with an old engine trying to run new tech.
Even the results from Guru3d , with RT, seem strange.
A 2070S beating a 3070 and 3070Ti..........

index.php

Top Bottom