• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch Pro Details Leak Ahead of Reveal - Listing Found on Amazon

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Why not just sell them direct to anyone who has had a nintendo account since 2015 first? Would this not cut out the scalpers and service the most die hard nintendo fans?
It's Nintendo. Nothing they do makes sense.

Though to be fair, Msft and Sony only NOW started doing direct to consumer sales for their next-gen boxes and even then, not in all regions or even for every person, gotta be in their "elite" programs or whatever. Hell, GPU's which cost substantially more aren't even doing it.

daveonezero

Banned
Yes, dude. A higher resolution screen is easily noticeable at that size. 720p is too low even for a 5' phone. At 5.5 inches 1440p is the minimum acceptable resolution.
Yeah if you don’t care about battery but I think 1080p is still the sweet spot under 7 inches.

kingkaiser

Battery is irrelevant to display resolution. Display size has a much larger impact on battery than resolution.
The GPU will have to run with higher clock-speed while rendering in higher resolution and thus have also higher wattage, meaning battery life will be shortened. Not that hard to understand, is it?

kingkaiser

That's not how it works. They could easily target a lower res still and upscale. They do that already even at 720p.
You are basically asking for a higher res screen that won't be used at native resolution with 99% of the games and resort to upscaling. You must really hate good image quality. Have fun with 540p games being blown on a 1080p screen.

GuinGuin

Banned
You are basically asking for a higher res screen that won't be used at native resolution with 99% of the games and resort to upscaling. You must really hate good image quality. Have fun with 540p games being blown on a 1080p screen.

Higher resolution is always better for image quality unless you like staring at jagged pixels.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Higher resolution is always better for image quality unless you like staring at jagged pixels.
Higher resolution is better if the game runs at that resolution. A 720p game on a 720p screen will look better than a 720p game on a 1080p screen. That's why so many handheld games look blurry as hell because some games are running below 720p.

GuinGuin

Banned
Higher resolution is better if the game runs at that resolution. A 720p game on a 720p screen will look better than a 720p game on a 1080p screen. That's why so many handheld games look blurry as hell because some games are running below 720p.

That's only if your upscaling sucks balls. It should be very easy to upscale and improve the image quality. That's what every reconstruction technique does and that is how every smart developer is making best use of the hardware.

Ezquimacore

Banned
That's only if your upscaling sucks balls. It should be very easy to upscale and improve the image quality. That's what every reconstruction technique does and that is how every smart developer is making best use of the hardware.
You're right but every portable console had trash scaling so far or no scaling at all. On a 720p small screen scaling to 1080p is useless if the screen has good pixel density, all you really need is a great antialiasing method. Scaling on bigger screen is great sometimes even with normal methods like gpu scaling or managed by the tv/monitor could look fantastic and stop the jaggies. But a hypothetical switch with dlss on a 720p oled screen should look phenomenal without the need of a higher resolution because the screen is 7 inch. On the normal switch the problem even on native 720p games is the quality of the screen and lack of antialiasing.

UnNamed

Banned
720p on a 7" screen has higher pixel density than 4k on a 22" screen. 210 vs 200
Especially when you have a full RGB matrix and minimal screen door effect

_ED2l4EiX6oqG7XU5LeFIBzHyv_IsusbsUiPS9Toniw.png

Astral Dog

720p on a 7" screen has higher pixel density than 4k on a 22" screen. 210 vs 200.

Yeah not as good as a $1000 phone but great for games and battery life nonetheless.
Im getting tired of people just complaining about the screen, resolution can't be everything on a $300 tablet. Switch is pushing more impressive portable visuals than most smartphones.

Many times its not even taking advantage of its 720p screen the reason many games look off is because they are running at sub native resolution, if they change the screen it will be the same, better use the money to upgrade the actual components and take advantage of the 720p OLED games should look very pretty on it, and run at higher framerates with better graphics

Leave the screen upgrade for the next gen Switch 2

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I hope this will deliver 60fps for older titles and upcoming switch games, but I feel like my expectations maybe a little too high.

But if I can play mh:rise and botw2 at 60fps I'd be super duper happy & it would tempt me to upgrade.

I hope nintendo add basic social features on the switch soon too, but that is probably asking too much as it's been 3 years or so and still nothing

GuinGuin

Banned
Im getting tired of people just complaining about the screen, resolution can't be everything on a $300 tablet. Switch is pushing more impressive portable visuals than most smartphones.

Many times its not even taking advantage of its 720p screen the reason many games look off is because they are running at sub native resolution, if they change the screen it will be the same, better use the money to upgrade the actual components and take advantage of the 720p OLED games should look very pretty on it, and run at higher framerates with better graphics

Leave the screen upgrade for the next gen Switch 2

Those jaggies tho... They can do a little better and still make it work.

Astral Dog

Those jaggies tho... They can do a little better and still make it work.
I mean, its ok still expect a big improvment on Switch Pro iq both on docked and undocked, maybe anti aliasing is expensive and thats why many Switch games never use it 🤭 including third party

GuinGuin

Banned
I mean, its ok still expect a big improvment on Switch Pro iq both on docked and undocked, maybe anti aliasing is expensive and thats why many Switch games never use it 🤭 including third party

Yeah I can't handle that. PS2 should have been the last console with an anti-aliasing problem.

Top Bottom