• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch Pro Details Leak Ahead of Reveal - Listing Found on Amazon

DavidGzz

Companies aren't going to make a version that only works on a new model when there's 80+ million 'old' models out there.

You don't think devs would downgrade the Series S version of games if they can make it playable on the Switch Pro with DLSS? I do.

That's like saying devs wouldn't make a current gen only game like Demon's and Returnal when there are 120 mil PS4s out there.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
What really matters is how powerful this thing is in handheld mode, because that‘s gonna be the baseline for all games. What can we expect there? Is 1TF too much for a handheld in 2021?

This doesn’t sound like anything worthwhile to me. Why not just go with a true Swutch successor rather than a half measure that will either fragment the userbase or do basically nothing?

Yes I understand it needs to house a new chip but it doesn’t need a full redesign along with a spec bump like the 3DS did.

If they are concerned about 3rd party support just release the next-gen iteration with backward compatibility and it will do the same thing.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You don't think devs would downgrade the Series S version of games if they can make it playable on the Switch Pro with DLSS? I do.

That's like saying devs wouldn't make a current gen only game like Demon's and Returnal when there are 120 mil PS4s out there.
Again, you're equating a pro model with a next gen model.

Were there ps4 pro or series x exclusive titles? All those systems did was sometimes have 60 fps or fake 4k.

Corgi1985

Banned
This doesn’t sound like anything worthwhile to me. Why not just go with a true Swutch successor rather than a half measure that will either fragment the userbase or do basically nothing?

Yes I understand it needs to house a new chip but it doesn’t need a full redesign along with a spec bump like the 3DS did.

If they are concerned about 3rd party support just release the next-gen iteration with backward compatibility and it will do the same thing.
an overpriced half measure is nintendo's wheelhouse

DavidGzz

Again, you're equating a pro model with a next gen model.

Were there ps4 pro or series x exclusive titles? All those systems did was sometimes have 60 fps or fake 4k.

You're assuming it isn't Nintendo trying to keep up with MS and Sony so that they get current gen games. The Switch is selling out still so why release it at all at the moment? They know that once the majority of games are current gen, their cheap tablet won't get as many new games if they don't make it more capable. Also, is that the confirmed name? It could be Switch 2 for all we know, no?

Didn't the Wii U have exclusives that the Wii didn't? Yep. It's not like Switch Pro is the final name, even so, Nintendo don't always choose the best name for new consoles. Wii U lol.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
You're assuming it isn't Nintendo trying to keep up with MS and Sony so that they get current gen games. The Switch is selling out still so why release it at all at the moment? They know that once the majority of games are current gen, their cheap tablet won't get as many new games if they don't make it more capable. Also, is that the confirmed name? It could be Switch 2 for all we know, no?

Didn't the Wii U have exclusives that the Wii didn't? Yep. It's not like Switch Pro is the final name, even so, Nintendo don't always choose the beat name for new consoles. Wii U lol.
They're making a new tablet because Nvidia discontinued the Tegra.

Wii U came out several years after the bottom dropped out of the Wii. If the Switch pro was such a huge leap, it wouldn't have a 7" 720p screen. The 4k docked is just its theoretical maximum output, just as the base model has 1080p.

DavidGzz

They're making a new tablet because Nvidia discontinued the Tegra.

Wii U came out several years after the bottom dropped out of the Wii. If the Switch pro was such a huge leap, it wouldn't have a 7" 720p screen. The 4k docked is just its theoretical maximum output, just as the base model has 1080p.

Ah, good to know. Way less excited then. Hopefully Steams rumored handheld is a reality.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I haven't owned a Switch yet and I'm really excited to jump in. I was just waiting for 4k, mostly.

I'm also pretty selective with Nintendo games and was sort of waiting for a Metroid Prime announcement, but I'm in for the Pro.

I think I'm going to grab

- Mario Odyssey
- Breath of the Wild

..and I don't know what else really. Huh. Are the Donkey Kong Country games available?
Hopefully the new Metroid drops soon.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

The next generation will launch after 3 years when the components are better/cheaper

Animagic

Banned
I haven't owned a Switch yet and I'm really excited to jump in. I was just waiting for 4k, mostly.

I'm also pretty selective with Nintendo games and was sort of waiting for a Metroid Prime announcement, but I'm in for the Pro.

I think I'm going to grab

- Mario Odyssey
- Breath of the Wild

..and I don't know what else really. Huh. Are the Donkey Kong Country games available?
Hopefully the new Metroid drops soon.
Yeah the snes donkey Kong games are in the snes app and the most recent one, a port of the WiiU game is on the switch: tropical freeze

Marvel14

Banned
Sorry to be the thread Cynic but there is nothing "major" or "huge" in the Op's news. Most of the revelations were already in the public domain. I call clickbait.

ultrazilla

The *REAL* leak IMO is when we get details on the SOC and ram size. With the amount of R & D money Nintendo went through, I'm pretty sure this
will be a new custom SOC. Also, hoping for a minimum of 8 gig ram for developers.

Tech NeoGAF:

As others have mentioned, I'd be totally satisfied with 1440p/60fps. But I think the majority of titles will be 1080p upscaled to 4k. Unless they can't hit 60fps....they could experiment with different
resolutions I presume to get the desired frame rates?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The *REAL* leak IMO is when we get details on the SOC and ram size. With the amount of R & D money Nintendo went through, I'm pretty sure this
will be a new custom SOC. Also, hoping for a minimum of 8 gig ram for developers.

Tech NeoGAF:

As others have mentioned, I'd be totally satisfied with 1440p/60fps. But I think the majority of titles will be 1080p upscaled to 4k. Unless they can't hit 60fps....they could experiment with different
resolutions I presume to get the desired frame rates?
If they can use DLSS they can get away with less-than-ideal hardware. But almost assuredly they'd need to increase ram at a minimum if they intend on getting scaled down ports over the next few years.

Astral Dog

If they can use DLSS they can get away with less-than-ideal hardware. But almost assuredly they'd need to increase ram at a minimum if they intend on getting scaled down ports over the next few years.
Huuh keep your expectations realistic, Switch Pro is not meant to keep up with next /current gen games, just extend the Switch life.make the current and upcoming Switch games more presentable, Any 'impossible' port will be a bonus.

Just using DLSS and OLED is a huge gain for Nintendo's games, image quality wise. It will get other upgrades, but its a half step to the Switch 2 the way PSpro is.

SinDelta

It'll be hard to justify picking one up just to play botw2. It would be nice if they had some bangers they haven't announced yet.
Would these count I wonder?

Super Mario Odyssey 2
Xenoblade X-3
Xenoblade X Port
The glimpsed Monolith Soft Project whose concept art has been floating around for a while now
iu

iu
Starfox RPG on a grand Mass Effect Scale
Astral Chain 2
Wind Waker 2
Twilight Princess 2
Ocarina of Time Remake rebuilt from the ground up
A Zelda game animated using the older art styles. The illustrations.
iu

iu

iu

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Huuh keep your expectations realistic, Switch Pro is not meant to keep up with next /current gen games, just extend the Switch life.make the current and upcoming Switch games more presentable, Any 'impossible' port will be a bonus.

Just using DLSS and OLED is a huge gain for Nintendo's games, image quality wise. It will get other upgrades, but its a half step to the Switch 2 the way PSpro is.
I'm not too bothered either way as really, other than the occasional old games(doom 3, duke nukem, Snes/NES/etc) I'll almost only play exclusives on the Switch, I'd rather play everything else multiplat on PC. And with how STUNNING some of Nintendo's first party games can look on the Switch(looking at you Luigi's Mansion 3) I'd be excited with what Super Switch Pro could give Nintendo as far as overhead is concerned. They've done incredible work considering the hardware they are working on. I think like most things Nintendo, people will be underwhelmed and doubtful and then Nintendo will surprise the shit out of everyone.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I'm not too bothered either way as really, other than the occasional old games(doom 3, duke nukem, Snes/NES/etc) I'll almost only play exclusives on the Switch, I'd rather play everything else multiplat on PC. And with how STUNNING some of Nintendo's first party games can look on the Switch(Luigi's Mansion 3) I'd be excited with what Super Switch Pro could give Nintendo as far as overhead is concerned. They've done incredible work considering the hardware they are working on. I think like most things Nintendo, people will be underwhelmed and doubtful and then Nintendo will surprise the shit out of everyone.
yeah Switch pro still be cool, upgraded image quality and framerate on current games is a pretty big deal and exciting.

But i expect to see many fans angry/dissapointed their brand new Switch Pro can't run the shiny new PS5/Series X games and blame Nintendo 🤭🤷‍♂️

There will be tears 🍿

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Great news, except for the price.

If they're gonna phase out the standard Switch, I think it needs to be at or below $300, and not over it.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
People have such high hopes, I think this will be like 3DS vs New 3DS where 99% of the games will be compatible with the regular switch. The extra power will strictly be used to get Switch level graphics up to 4K in docked mode.

FStubbs

People have such high hopes, I think this will be like 3DS vs New 3DS where 99% of the games will be compatible with the regular switch. The extra power will strictly be used to get Switch level graphics up to 4K in docked mode.
This. I could see this thing getting an exclusive, extremely toned down port of Cyberpunk 2077, just for CDPR to stick it to Sony or something with the game running on dramatically weaker hardware than a PS4.

I much prefer playing on the TV too but I still love the option.

I'd buy a home and portable Switch or something.
I'd rather have them separated because as it is now it's price of the console + the pro controller + the overpriced games (physical) + I have to pay for a screen I will never use (I know myself).

So I skip, 99.99% of my gaming needs are covered as it is anyway, I have a PC and a PS5.

Sidesalad

Would these count I wonder?

Super Mario Odyssey 2
Xenoblade X-3
Xenoblade X Port
The glimpsed Monolith Soft Project whose concept art has been floating around for a while now
iu

iu
Starfox RPG on a grand Mass Effect Scale
Astral Chain 2
Wind Waker 2
Twilight Princess 2
Ocarina of Time Remake rebuilt from the ground up
A Zelda game animated using the older art styles. The illustrations.
iu

iu

iu
Is this a Christmas wish list? I doubt we'll ever see more than 2 of these.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video Games Nintendo GIF by nomalles

Tradition is an issue with older gamers but let’s say you’re a kid from Ohio and you bought one of these Switch Pros it’s amazing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just want 4K HDR support and more horsepower. And for that horsepower to actually be usable. Especially on the big existing titles. Especially with the way the newer TVs are handling SDR brightness, it makes the switch max out at 150nits while everything else can be nice and bright.

Bluetooth for headsets would be nice too.

Last edited:

SinDelta

It would be a problem for a lot of people if one of the megatons, say a new Xenoblade is a New Switch Exclusive.

Karmic Raze

I’ve been holding off on getting a Switch until a “Pro” model came out because I wanted a better quality portable screen and 4K in docked mode. If Nintendo can do this or somewhere close it (I must have the OLED screen!) then I am going all in on the Switch Pro. I’ll buy tons of games that I missed out on and make it my primary gaming platform. I have waited patiently and it looks like this is about to pay off. I just hope I can get my hands on one. The PS5 and XSX were and still are pains in my ass to get at MSRP.

Last edited:

Livia

I bought the Switch on launch day. It was my first ever buying a console on a midnight realease party here in Norway, thats how excited I were for the console. A year later I noticed a huge crack on the backplate and joy cons drifting. Mind you, I was super careful with the thing. Bought new joy cons for full price right after the drifting and a few months later they also got the drift. I really like the Switch, but man, i've never had so many problems with a console before. In 2019 I sold my Switch after it collected dust and didn't really pay that much attention to Nintendo until recently.

I will gladly buy a Switch Pro if they can iron out these problems. Having Breath of the Wild 2 as launch title would help immensely into buying my second Switch.

I bought the Switch on launch day. It was my first ever buying a console on a midnight realease party here in Norway, thats how excited I were for the console. A year later I noticed a huge crack on the backplate and joy cons drifting. Mind you, I was super careful with the thing. Bought new joy cons for full price right after the drifting and a few months later they also got the drift. I really like the Switch, but man, i've never had so many problems with a console before. In 2019 I sold my Switch after it collected dust and didn't really pay that much attention to Nintendo until recently.

I will gladly buy a Switch Pro if they can iron out these problems. Having Breath of the Wild 2 as launch title would help immensely into buying my second Switch.

Nintendo doesn't launch a new system or a major updated system without a Zelda game, so the odds are good on this one as well.

Arsic

Gold Member
I wonder if they'll do what xbox and Sony did with past games getting touch ups which lead to better FPS.

Zelda BOTW 1 at 60fps docked I'd definitely be down with.

Gives hope Acreus could be a 60fps game too.

If they support 60fps I'm there day one for this thing.

Aldric

It's probably more for last gen ports, stuff like Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier Automata or Dark Souls 3 that were likely too demanding for the base Switch could get ported on that new model.

Top Bottom