• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humans know what happens in the minutes after they die, research says

TriSuit666

Banned
A friend of mine suffers from a heart defect inherited from his father, that makes it go into an irregular beat, and from there it'll stop if it's not shocked fairly quickly.

He's described to me 'dying' several times, so much so when it happens he gets that 'oh no, not again' feeling, as though he was 'drifting away into nothing', but all the while being conscious of his surroundings.

Whoa, it can take hours for you to be totally dead? Park me in front of a TV then for a while I guess.

As for what happens after you're totally dead, well.... I think something happens, although what exactly is anyone's guess.

But there's just something that fundamentally doesn't make sense to me about the idea of your consciousness just blinking out of existence, I'd bet something weird goes down when you die.

Put it to you this way, when is anything in life simple? Why should death be as simple as "nothing"?

Kenpachii

I always assumed that this would happen that's also when my cat and dog died i kept them overnight in the house with a blanket over them and buried them the next day when i know there is nothing going on anymore in there brains.

Always found it odd when people assumed when your heart stops beating you are instantly dead. Didn't sound logical to me.

Sorcerer

You might be able to resuscitate without the physical action then. Flash them, tell them something they're inherently against. If i wear a flat earth or scientology t-shirt or "Sega won" shirt and they comment I'll come back with a venom.

If I was dying and I heard Sega Won, I would come back to life, tear out of the hospital, hit the stores looking for the current gen Sega Console in 2018.

Astral Dog

For a few (exhausting i assume) minutes at most

I think i have seen this thread before, when someone is beheaded he/she also has moments of full consciousness before death

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For sure.

I watched them try to resuscitate my mom after her cardia arrest in hospital. Then I spent some time with her after she was pronounced dead. It messes me up just to think that she could still potentially hear me.

Trapped inside a dying body.

This is weird to type this but, according to science she absolutely could hear you.

Mihos

Gold Member
I figure it will be pretty similar to what it was like before I was born. That seemed like forever.

Fujan

Whoa, it can take hours for you to be totally dead? Park me in front of a TV then for a while I guess.

As for what happens after you're totally dead, well.... I think something happens, although what exactly is anyone's guess.

But there's just something that fundamentally doesn't make sense to me about the idea of your consciousness just blinking out of existence, I'd bet something weird goes down when you die.

Put it to you this way, when is anything in life simple? Why should death be as simple as "nothing"?

Look at how grand the universe is, compared to that we are exactly that, nothing.
We are simply lifeforms on a planet that can inhabit life, evolved into having a conscience. If something happens after death, all species should have the same "afterlife" by that logic.

Look at how grand the universe is, compared to that we are exactly that, nothing.
We are simply lifeforms on a planet that can inhabit life, evolved into having a conscience. If something happens after death, all species should have the same "afterlife" by that logic.

Scale is all completely subjective though, while humans are tiny when it comes to the scale of the universe we are massive when it comes to the microscopic world, ya know germs, bacteria, cells and so on, so I don't think scale really proves anything, something is only "big" or "small" as it relates to us, but in an objective way scale doesn't really matter, everything is a crucial aspect of the world, from cells down to atoms, everything is a building block of the whole.

And who's to say there's not some sort of afterlife for animals and whatnot? I definitely think that if humans have souls then probably every living thing has a soul of some type.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope when I "die" I get resuscitated so I can share my death story....

Me "I felt light headed, saw angels over me and a bright light"

Hospital "Your eyes were peeled back as you couldn't even blink. You were staring at a doctor, nurse and the ceiling light you moron"

Last edited:

nkarafo

Fun fact, if you get beheaded your still "alive" and concious for anywhere between 30 seconds and a couple minutes.
The worst thing about beheading IMO is where/how the head will land. In the movie Apocalypto, i cringed every time they throw them through those stairs. These head bumps must have hurt much more than the beheading itself.

royox

After the heart ceases beating, blood stops circulating to the brain and it begins to shut down.

But, this process can reportedly take hours to complete, leaving a window of time where a person is officially dead and still aware of what’s going on around them.

My fucking god. Imagine being aware for HOURS that you are dead. What scares me the most is to think that if you can still hear MAYBE you can also still FEEL PAIN for hours.

Ok now I'm really scared.

Top Bottom