Hundreds Of Newspapers Denounce Trump's Attacks On Media In Coordinated Editorials

Jun 11, 2004
More than 300 news publications across the country are joining together to defend the role of a free press and denounce President Trump's ongoing attacks on the news media in coordinated editorials publishing Thursday, according to a tally by The Boston Globe.

The project was spearheaded by staff members of the editorial page at the Globe, who write: "This relentless assault on the free press has dangerous consequences. We asked editorial boards from around the country – liberal and conservative, large and small — to join us today to address this fundamental threat in their own words."

In a poll released Tuesday by Quinnipiac University, a slim majority of Republican respondents, 51 percent, said they consider the news media the "enemy of the people." Thirty-six percent of Republicans thought the media were "an important part of democracy."

The question asked, "Which comes closer to your point of view: the news media is the enemy of the people, or the news media is an important part of democracy?" Overall, 65 percent of U.S. voters say the media are an important part of democracy, according to Quinnipiac.
Earlier this month, CNN's Jim Acosta urged White House press secretary Sarah Sanders to say the news media are not the enemy, which she would not do.

Acosta tweeted a video on July 31 that he said was from a Trump rally, featuring Trump supporters giving the middle finger to the camera and one person yelling, "stop lying."

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/639125774/hundreds-of-newspapers-denounce-trumps-attacks-on-media-in-coordinated-editorial

About time.

Spheyr

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
Didn't we just have a piss and moan fest over "media collusion and mind control" over Sinclair having a statement read by its studios?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dec 15, 2006
I mean the problem with the press is that they're going out of their way to be sensationalist instead of factual. This is applicable no matter how you align yourself.

Having a free press is obviously important, but news organizations are constantly shooting their own credibility in the foot in the name of short-term gains.

Catphish

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA
Not that I mind one way or the other but, the first thing that came to my mind was, well, hundreds of newspapers are owned by a single media giant, so, I don't think it's any great coordinated effort. Just commands coming down from on high.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
This is great. His constant attacks on the media for daring to cover all of the negativity surrounding his administration are ridiculous. And then the only outlets that he praises are the ones that kiss his ass and pretend everything is great.

It's blatant propaganda and the sad part is that his supporters gobble it up and actually believe his drivel. They hear only what they wanna hear.

If it's not good news then it's fake news.

Last edited:

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Reminds me of the gamers are dead articles and the attack’s on Elon musk. Yeah this will help their credibility for sure /s

Jun 11, 2004
Didn't we just have a piss and moan fest over "media collusion and mind control" over Sinclair having a statement read by its studios?
Giving scripts on the downlow to anchors and a coordinated front to fight back asinine assertions are not the same thing.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
I think pretty much all outlets have a noticeable bias and promote a certain narrative by what they cover, but the only change I would make is to open up the official government communication methods like the WH press briefing to everyone, maybe based on metrics of audience size if there are physical limitations on how many reporters you can reach. I just don't see much difference between the Washington Post or the Daily Caller, other than one's news section openly admits its bias and the other lies and says it is biased only in the editorial section.

I wouldn't get the heavy hand of the government involved in policing content, unless they do things like out top secret spies or give up confidential technical information.

Last edited:

Corderlain

Jun 12, 2018
Ironically the same move video game journos pulled with gamers a few years ago. Nice to watch history repeat itself.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
Are you being intentionally obtuse, or can you really not see the massive differences between those 2 things?

Reminds me of the gamers are dead articles and the attack’s on Elon musk. Yeah this will help their credibility for sure /s
I don't get it?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Wish these same newspapers would raise concern about the corporate manipulation of our media. Wonder how many of them belong to the same handful of media conglomerates... the irony here is delicious.

But hey, Trump is da bad dude and if we stopz him, WE GUNNA WIN DA NAYSHUN!

Seriously sounds like a bunch of stupid Orcs pretending they know how a Western society should run.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Are you being intentionally obtuse, or can you really not see the massive differences between those 2 things?

I don't get it?
Gist of it is that if you criticize these "journalists" they will attack you.

It did happen with corordinated attacks against Gamers
It did happen with an coordinated attack against Elon Musk when he critized them
and it does happen now again with Trump.

The only reason they have this bad credibility these days is on them. They lie they sensationalize and they push agendas everyone is sick of while also hiring racist people like the New York Times did with Jeong.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
I presume this is from the same clowns that said more than 2% growth are impossible that was their mantra, now we have 4% growth (while they predicted a crash as soon as trump wins) and now they are saying Obama should get the credit for something they didnt even believe was possible under Obama or anyone else. They want to have it both ways just so they can directly target trump and trump votes no matter what and no matter if its half truths or outright lies.
Then they act as victims to get their usual grandstanding and fake elitism/confidence out into the public to fool some more idiots.
2 Years of bullshit like that constantly borderline every single day news about "omg trump probably did this?" that later get "corrections" that never get even 1% of the views (intentionally of course) or retweets as the initial fake crap.
Hell yeah i would be pissed too and call them the enemy of the people among countless other insults they deserve.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I presume this is from the same clowns that said more than 2% growth are impossible that was their mantra, now we have 4% growth (while they predicted a crash as soon as trump wins) and now they are saying Obama should get the credit for something they didnt even believe was possible under Obama or anyone else. They want to have it both ways just so they can directly target trump and trump votes no matter what and no matter if its half truths or outright lies.
Then they act as victims to get their usual grandstanding and fake elitism/confidence out into the public to fool some more idiots.
2 Years of bullshit like that constantly borderline every single day news about "omg trump probably did this?" that later get "corrections" that never get even 1% of the views (intentionally of course) or retweets as the initial fake crap.
Hell yeah i would be pissed too and call them the enemy of the people among countless other insults they deserve.
Remember when Trump "disrespectfully" fed the fish in Japan?

That was kind of a lightbulb moment for me. I was like "this cannot be an actual controversy".

Jun 11, 2004
Wish these same newspapers would raise concern about the corporate manipulation of our media. Wonder how many of them belong to the same handful of media conglomerates... the irony here is delicious.

Seriously sounds like a bunch of stupid Orcs pretending they know how a Western society should run.
You don't have to wonder any more, here is a list of all the newspapers that have participated:

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/opinion/graphics/2018/08/freepress/?p1=HP_special

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Remember when Trump "disrespectfully" fed the fish in Japan?

That was kind of a lightbulb moment for me. I was like "this cannot be an actual controversy".
Two scoops
Spy soccer ball
Tits and guns

It'd be nice if these outlets had some integrity and denounced those sorts of stories as well, but they are all (literally) in bed with each other.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008

In your world do all Trump critics speak like stereotypical Jamaicans?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
You don't have to wonder any more, here is a list of all the newspapers that have participated:

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/opinion/graphics/2018/08/freepress/?p1=HP_special
I'm not seeing it. I only see their editorial and polls.

In your world do all Trump critics speak like stereotypical Jamaicans?
No, they speak like stupid Orcs pretending they know how a Western society should run. Are you racist or something?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
I'm not seeing it. I only see their editorial and polls.

No, they speak like stupid Orcs pretending they know how a Western society should run. Are you racist or something?
Hey, this is your weird thought process not mine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Hey, this is your weird thought process not mine.
You're the one who projected an ethnicicity of human people when he clearly said, Orcs.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Gist of it is that if you criticize these "journalists" they will attack you.

It did happen with corordinated attacks against Gamers
It did happen with an coordinated attack against Elon Musk when he critized them
and it does happen now again with Trump.

The only reason they have this bad credibility these days is on them. They lie they sensationalize and they push agendas everyone is sick of while also hiring racist people like the New York Times did with Jeong.
They only have a bad reputation with conservasheep. 51% of Republicans is not any kind of indictment, and when you consider that the 51% who believe that are likely the bottom of the barrel, their beliefs mean even less. Morons listen to Alex Jones, and treat Zero hedge as gospel, but feel like the Times have no credibility? Their opinions are worth nothing more than their vote,and as much as it sucks, thats also a key aspect of Democracy.

This enemy of the people bullshit started with Trump. By that fact alone, it can't be taken seriously.

History, and the 1st ammendment is clear on this: A free press is necessary for a strong Democracy.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
They only have a bad reputation with conservasheep. 51% of Republicans is not any kind of indictment, and when you consider that the 51% who believe that are likely the bottom of the barrel, their beliefs mean even less. Morons listen to Alex Jones, and treat Zero hedge as gospel, but feel like the Times have no credibility? Their opinions are worth nothing more than their vote,and as much as it sucks, thats also a key aspect of Democracy.

This enemy of the people bullshit started with Trump. By that fact alone, it can't be taken seriously.

History, and the 1st ammendment is clear on this: A free press is necessary for a strong Democracy.
Stop using the necessity of a free press to justify the rotten behavior of our current press.

They've abused their position in society and now they don't like the spotlight shining on their behavior. If anything, the press needs to get a whole lot more "free" in light of how corporations have been excluding news stories, unduly bloating up other news stories, and delivering biased reporting to their viewers for decades.

The press ain't clean. Can we all stop this pretense that Trump is the one unfairly making the press look bad and we need to unite against him?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
You have a list of the newspapers, look them up, if you're actually interested.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For some reason the link you linked doesn't go to the section you think it does, but I was able to track it down in the article itself. Thanks. Looks like it's an issue with how Boston Globe handles links and not anything to do with you.

J-Rod

Aug 30, 2005
I wonder how anyone could believe the media is working together to try and unseat the duly elected president. Perhaps a coordinated and unified effort across hundreds of newspapers will convince them how silly that is.

Last edited:

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

Free unbiased and not agenda driven press yes. But this is not what todays press is. They have no journalistic ethics anymore. They sensationalize everything. They create articles from tweets. They fake outrage, they lie etc.
That is why the press today has such a bad reputation. And this is not even the case in the US. It is the same in Germany not on that level yes but there is a big nmistrust already.

And when the so called free press attacks everyone who criticizes them like Elon Musk did than they show their true face. And you can see this on all ends. Be it left be it right everyone. You can not trust news sites anymore you can trust single people working for them but thats it. I even argue that the press is doing a lot for this current very hostile atmosphere all around.

Sorry but the press or journalists did this to themselves. And it is great when they now want to play the victim while in other countries journalists are getting arrested for reporting the truth. These entitled people stir some fake outrage EVERY fucking time. Also they have double standards, morals etc. Newest example the New York Times with Sarah Jeong. Or the fake cover from the Times etc.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Stop using the necessity of a free press to justify the rotten behavior of our current press.

They've abused their position in society and now they don't like the spotlight shining on their behavior. If anything, the press needs to get a whole lot more "free" in light of how corporations have been excluding news stories, unduly bloating up other news stories, and delivering biased reporting to their viewers for decades.

The press ain't clean. Can we all stop this pretense that Trump is the one unfairly making the press look bad and we need to unite against him?
The press doesn't look bad. You believe that the people hating on the Times, and Post ever read those papers in the first place? The only news that they see from CNN, are the clips that Fox News air.

The MSM make a mistake, and they issue a retraction, or correction.
Trump has stated that he doesn't make mistakes, and Sarah Sanders issued her first correction in a year just yesterday.
It's quite clear who lacks credibility.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
The press doesn't look bad. You believe that the people hating on the Times, and Post ever read those papers in the first place? The only news that they see from CNN, are the clips that Fox News air.

Trump has stated that he doesn't make mistakes, and Sarah Sanders issued her first correction in a year just yesterday.
They do not correct themselves thy just change articles.

Here is a site who tries to track all of it.
http://newsdiffs.org/

They have become a lying piece of shit to be honest. And there is not one exception anymore only single journalists you still can trust.

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Free unbiased and not agenda driven press yes. But this is not what todays press is. They have no journalistic ethics anymore. They sensationalize everything. They create articles from tweets. They fake outrage, they lie etc.
That is why the press today has such a bad reputation. And this is not even the case in the US. It is the same in Germany not on that level yes but there is a big nmistrust already.

And when the so called free press attacks everyone who criticizes them like Elon Musk did than they show their true face. And you can see this on all ends. Be it left be it right everyone. You can not trust news sites anymore you can trust single people working for them but thats it. I even argue that the press is doing a lot for this current very hostile atmosphere all around.

Sorry but the press or journalists did this to themselves. And it is great when they now want to play the victim while in other countries journalists are getting arrested for reporting the truth. These entitled people stir some fake outrage EVERY fucking time. Also they have double standards, morals etc. Newest example the New York Times with Sarah Jeong. Or the fake cover from the Times etc.
The press isn't playing the victim, Trump is. The press is playing their vital role in our Democracy. When opinions are published, you agree with some, and disagree with others. That's how it works outside of Conservative safe spaces.

The vast majority of people still believe in the press. When Mueller finishes his investigation, those #s will rise further, and the only people who still deny their validity will do so in a puddle of their own tears.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

I'm mostly concerned with my own perspective, not "the people hating on the Times and Post". I've read the articles for myself and can draw my own conclusions.

I think people like yourself -- unfortunately -- are blinded to media bias when the media regularly confirms your own biases. It is the same reason that Fox News is not typically a good source because they have their own bias.

I am young but I experienced the media treatment of Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, and now Trump. The majority of media outlets are water-carriers for the Democratic Party. Fox News and certain no-name outlets carry water for the Republicans. You cannot convince me that our media has acted fairly and objectively across the presidencies I mentioned.

This is why "alt media" is on the rise and it poses direct competition to the entrenched media. Mainstream media has no problem discrediting and dismissing smaller press outlets (so much for freedom of press) yet they love to shriek "freedom of the press!" in defense of their own entrenched institutions like they are doing here.

It's disingenuous. It's selfish. It's not something I can support.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
The press isn't playing the victim, Trump is. The press is playing their vital role in our Democracy. When opinions are published, you agree with some, and disagree with others. That's how it works outside of Conservative safe spaces.

The vast majority of people still believe in the press. When Mueller finishes his investigation, those #s will rise further, and the only people who still deny their validity will do so in a puddle of their own tears.
No they do not anymore. The press is one of the most mistrusted organization of today for many many people.

Here is a video about it as well

This is the BBC they are lying, they are faking and they stealth eddit their articles after the outrage is over. I am sorry but no.
I would love a free and unbiased press but this is just fucking disgusting what is going on right now

And you know what? The Free Press are not victims of anything. They are getting not arrested for articles for popinions like in the Turkey for example. They get called out for their bullshit. And when you critize them and you have inflence they will bail on you. They will write fake articles like they did with Elon Musk. Like gaming journalists did with Gamers and so on.

Watch the video and aks yourself if you can defend this.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
May 17, 2018
Trump doesn't trust our press or our security agencies but the KGB he trusts to investigate U.S. officials.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
What better way to protest our President by grouping up as a collective and denouncing him! That surely won't give those who already distrust the media anymore conspiracy theory ammo. /sarcasm

Really happy to see the LA Times not take part in this.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol-enter-the-fray-the-los-angeles-times-is-not-1534376775-htmlstory.html
LA Times is more woke than the rest of them. They pretty much said it themselves:

The president himself already treats the media as a cabal — “enemies of the people,” he has called us, suggesting over and over that we’re in cahoots to do damage to the country. The idea of joining together to protest him seems almost to encourage that kind of conspiracy thinking by the president and his loyalists. Why give them ammunition to scream about “collusion”?

Helios

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2018
Is this the part were we pretend journalists are some endangered minorities that need to be protected and saved from the evil Donald Trump?

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
No they do not anymore. The press is one of the most mistrusted organization of today for many many people.

Here is a video about it as well

This is the BBC they are lying, they are faking and they stealth eddit their articles after the outrage is over. I am sorry but no.
I would love a free and unbiased press but this is just fucking disgusting what is going on right now

And you know what? The Free Press are not victims of anything. They are getting not arrested for articles for popinions like in the Turkey for example. They get called out for their bullshit. And when you critize them and you have inflence they will bail on you. They will write fake articles like they did with Elon Musk. Like gaming journalists did with Gamers and so on.

Watch the video and aks yourself if you can defend this.
A youtube video about the BBC, seriously?

This is clearly a discussion about the Press in the US,and what is it with conservatives and using youtube as proof?
At least you're not linking to the shirtless redneck with the 666 name, that other right wingers love so much.

There is verifiable proof that the President lies multiple times each day.
I'd love to see verifiable false stories that the MSM has published and failed to correct or retract.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

This is clearly a discussion about the Press in the US,and what is it with conservatives and using youtube as proof?
At least you're not linking to the shirtless redneck with the 666 name, that other right wingers love so much.

I'd love to see verifiable false stories that the MSM has published and failed to correct or retract.
It is an example....

Go to the site i posted and look how much i steal edit and I am not even talking about stupid grammar errors.

Also American? New York Times hiring a racist piece of shit and defending it.

Last edited:

Catphish

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA

Freedom of the Press isn't solely rooted in the veracity of their reporting. It also has a lot to do with what they're allowed to report, and report on.

The MSM is now a corporately owned entity. The umbrella of brands beneath the primary owners is vast and pervasive. Do you not understand how that is fundamentally in opposition to Freedom of the Press?

If you're really a champion of free press, Trump isn't your villain. Corporate ownership is.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

When you doubt certain branches of The Press (Fox News) and then also doubt YouTube videos simply because they come from YouTube, it's really strange that you would then stand up for these poor mega-corporations.

It's almost like your behavior is based on political alignment instead of any deeper thought-process, moral conviction, or rationale...

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
It is an example....

Go to the site i posted and look how much i steal edit and I am not even talking about stupid grammar errors.

Also American? New York Times hiring a racist piece of shit and defending it.
That's what they're supposed to do. Mistakes are made, but trust belongs to those who, acknowledge and correct their mistakes.

That is something the President has admitted he's incapable of.

Who the Times hired is inconsequential to whether they can be trusted. Unless her bias spills into her reporting of facts, it doesn't mean a thing to the discussion.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
That's what they're supposed to do. Mistakes are made, but trust belongs to those who, acknowledge and correct their mistakes.

That is something the President has admitted he's incapable of.

Who the Times hired is inconsequential to whether they can be trusted. Unless her bias spills into her reporting of facts, it doesn't mean a thing to the discussion.
If they change important facts you should use a correction and not stealth editing. You even change the whole story, the whole tone etc. And they just steal edit. Rape accusation was wrong? All they fucking do is put a small update note in it after 3 weeks no one would read anymore.

And yes this double hipoccrisy means I can not trust them. They fired another tech woman for racist tweets but she was white so it was not ok. This time they hired a racist person that was not white.

And this is what they wrote about Rosanne. And when the Jeong thing did happen they secretly deleted everything of it because it would made look them bad.

How the hell can I trust such a press? Which has no standards no ethics?

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Jun 6, 2004
New York
Freedom of the Press isn't solely rooted in the veracity of their reporting. It also has a lot to do with what they're allowed to report, and report on.

The MSM is now a corporately owned entity. The umbrella of brands beneath the primary owners is vast and pervasive. Do you not understand how that is fundamentally in opposition to Freedom of the Press?

If you're really a champion of free press, Trump isn't your villain. Corporate ownership is.
Nonsense.
There is press that leans left, and press that leans right. That's an important role of the press. We might not have one source to get coverage of every story, and every side, but that's why we have a free press, and can use multiple sources.

As horrible as Fox News is, they are still a vital part of our Democracy, and have never been attacked in the way Trump is attacking news he doesn't like. We mainly just laugh at Fox News and those who repeat the crap they hear from Tucker and Hannity.

Facts are the only things that should matter with the press. What stories are they forbidden from reporting on?

Derekloffin

Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I have no sympathy for them anymore. I have no love for Trump, but the media has done an excellent job of losing my trust these last few years to the point I won't back them. They seem to be on a race to the bottom. I don't know whether it is them being dragged down along with Trump, or if they are just revealing all their issues they've had for a while, but either way the result is the same, they have burned up all my good will for them.