• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydorah = (Gradius + R-Type). It s a shmup that you want. Now.

Brannon

Blatantly stolen from the SA forums...

Watch it here: http://vimeo.com/7066986

Get it here: http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_hydorah.php (82 MB)

hydorah_05.jpg

hydorah_11.jpg

hydorah_02.jpg

Unless you don't like free, awesome games with kickass music. Hitler never played Hydorah, and I heard he did some bad things. You don't want to be like him.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Awesome. Thx so much. Had to use the F2 option to get rid of blurriness--looked like bilinear filter or something was on. What resolution is this outputting at? I ask only cuz I wanna hook up my laptop to my Sammy via HDMI.

The game looks awesome and all, but Gradius +R-Type? I don't get any inspiration from R-Type in that trailer. It looks more like Gradius + Gradius.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dear god I love what has happened with indie games recently!

BocoDragon

THIS IS AWESOME.

I'm using the Xbox 360 controller and it's only letting me use the analog stick.... must I use something like Pinnacle Game Profiler to use the D-Pad?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Too slow to be fun with Wine on OS X, also, audio doesn't work and changing screen modes only works partially. I think he forgot to flip the buffer sometimes as well.

But it's really gorgeous.

VariantX

was looking forward to this from the demo but i d/led the full game and it runs in slow motion on my laptop, got to figure out how to get the game to run faster

BocoDragon

It's not slow over here... It's not super fast, but it resembles the usual Gradius speed...

There are a few audio glitches I've noticed... but hopefully they can be corrected with updates.

Minsc

Gold Member
Really nicely done, everything seems top notch, though I only made it to the first boss.

Speed and graphics seem perfect, don't think I'd want it any faster, shooting is a little weird though, you seem to shoot more often when you're hitting stuff.

Definitely worth the download.

Tain

Game Maker's screen tearing/stuttering is the only thing holding this back as far as presentation goes. They really nailed that part of it. Wish I could get an artist like that.

Kinda funny that they'd hype up the game's difficulty so much only to give you a saving system that makes it far easier than the games that it emulates.

Anyway, from what I've played, this is already the best indie (though not doujin) shooter.

BocoDragon said:
THIS IS AWESOME.

I'm using the Xbox 360 controller and it's only letting me use the analog stick.... must I use something like Pinnacle Game Profiler to use the D-Pad?

Unfortunately the joystick controls are completely unchangeable, and it's mapped to joystick 1 only (which is a problem for me, usually I have my joystick plugged in as joystick 1, and my gamepad(s) as joystick 2 and beyond; having to unplug the joystick just to play some games is a pain!), with movement to the X-Y axis only, and fire as the 1 button and use special as 2. That makes it unplayable on any gamepad where the dpad isn't the X-Y axis, unfortunately, unless you use some kind of key mapping software (and that is never as good as a real gamepad axis, in my experience). It's too bad.

As for the game itself, it's alright, good graphics and music. The controls somehow feel 'slippery' or something though (or maybe overly precise?), it's hard to avoid running into things, and with a couple of speed powerups you are perhaps too fast. Getting through narrow passages is quite difficult in this game, which can be a problem. Also the powerup system ensures that if you die you're doomed, and it takes longer than even Gradius to power up; this system isn't necessarily a problem, as Gradius is my favorite shmup series and I like Gradius' powerup system due to all the options and choices. This one, however, which more like Silpheed gradually unlocks weapons as you get through the game but only allows you to swap them between levels, isn't quite Gradius. Also, it punishes you for dying by reducing weapon power, and then restarts you at bosses when you die, too, instead of sending you to a checkpoint just before the boss, allowing you to get a couple of powerups, as Gradius games do. That can be annoying, beat the boss on your first try or play the whole level over pretty much! This makes it harder and less fun than it otherwise would be. I want to like the game, but as of how far I've gotten (a couple levels in), I don't really like the controls, and the gameplay's just good. Oh yeah, and it's annoying that enemies can all shoot through and pass through walls but you can't, with your basic gun!

Or am I just annoyed that I can't beat the second level (which has two bosses and is twice as long as level 1), while I am able to beat actual '80s shmups like R-Type... but this doesn't really play like an '80s shmup. There are far too many bullets on the screen moving far too fast for it to really be something like a Gradius and R-Type game. It's not bullet-hell (no beautiful patterns, so far at least), but it's not Gradius. I've been playing Gradius ReBirth recently, fantastic game...

But anyway, yeah this game is good, and I'm having fun so far, but I definitely have a few issues with it.

Oh, and I have a 4:3 monitor. Why is this game widescreen only, when it scrolls up and down? I know some vertical shmups do that, but I've never heard of it with horizontal ones... a fullscreen option would be better.

Minsc

Gold Member
Tain said:
Game Maker's screen tearing/stuttering is the only thing holding this back as far as presentation goes. They really nailed that part of it. Wish I could get an artist like that.

Kinda funny that they'd hype up the game's difficulty so much only to give you a saving system that makes it far easier than the games that it emulates.

Anyway, from what I've played, this is already the best indie (though not doujin) shooter.

I get no tearing/stuttering, at all... could it be a lack of D3DOverrider or a lack of power?

Tain

I get no tearing/stuttering, at all... could it be a lack of D3DOverrider or a lack of power?

Is D3DOverrider for triple buffering? Not something I do if so. Power shouldn't be an issue.

Game Maker commonly has stuttering depending on the refresh rate of your monitor. I'm pretty sure it only uses integers for timing, so you'll see 60 images a second when other engines would give you the 60.01 or whatever that your monitor uses.

Some people are fine or don't notice, and the GM developer says it'll probably never get fixed. Ah well.

moojito

I do love me some old school scrolly shooters, but the ones where you instantly die when hit annoy me. This looks like that type, rather than the health-bar stylee, is that right?

Varth

Screen size made me hope for a PSP homebrew :(
Love the graphic style, however. Even the score font screams old school.

Instro

I havent gotten very far but Im really digging this game. I kind of wish you could save more often it would be much easier to try and get perfects on all the levels but w.e.

Got past that giant yellow boss earlier made it up to some level with all these plants growing all over the place. Game plays great on my Dualshock 2, d-pad works as well.

Top Bottom