• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Dragon Ball Z Champ Build Released + Trailer

TCKaos

Trailer and Download Link

Hyper Dragon Ball Z is a fangame made to emulate old CPS2 Capcom fighting games. It's got a pretty sizable amount of depth and plays like an actual-real-people-not-shitty-legitimately-good fighting game. It was originally developed by two gents named Balthazar and Cybaster, and eventually they branched out and got more people on board to help out. The game also features music by WizzyWhipitWonderful that sounds like old CPS2 music (it's pretty great). The project can be followed on The Mugen Fighter's Guild.

So far the game includes: Goku, SSJ Goku, Vegeta, Majin Vegeta, Ultimate Gohan, Piccolo, Freeza, Babidi, Mr. Satan, and Saibaimen as a bonus character. They're currently working on Gotenks, Super Buu,
Tenshinhan/Tien, Krillin and Android 18.
The last build included SSGSS Goku and SSGSS Vegeta as secret bonus bosses, this one replaces them with Golden Freeza

Also, this build features a palette for SSJ Goku that I made that makes him look like Goku Black (Hold Start/Enter and A/Light Kick).

Check out some screenshots:
oqF2d3f.jpg

cRRMRVj.jpg

HqjuRFg.jpg

RnOzJy2.jpg

thuway

In an alternate time line, Arc System Works had the license to make a Dragon Ball Z fighting game and it used this games moves and had their pizazz for visuals.

Either way this is awesome.

In an alternate time line, Arc System Works had the license to make a Dragon Ball Z fighting game and it used this games moves and had their pizazz for visuals.

But Arc System Works did some Dragon Ball Z fighting games. It's called Supersonic Warriors. They even made one for the 3DS.

TCKaos

They actually developed a game for the 3DS called Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden. It even has Super Saiyan God Goku, Beerus, and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku.

Unfortunately, the mechanics leave a bit to be desired. The sprites have been mined to hell and back to be used for MUGEN characters, though. Someone actually made a fucking phenomenal MvC style Nappa.

Was this the one Arin and Ross played on Game Grumps a few years back?

Yes! This is a newer version of that.

Does it have Xbox One controller support OOB? Looks great.

Also yes. MUGEN supports Xbox controllers like most other windows games. You'll have to go into the settings and map joypad controls, though. Other than that you should be fine.

L Thammy

Son of a bitch, you beat me to posting it! But I was looking forward to this, and I love that they announced Krillin.

There's a guy working on a Yamcha, but the team hasn't officially adopted his character. It looks ridiculous good though. I'll dig out some gifs.

EDIT:

They actually developed a game for the 3DS called Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden. It even has Super Saiyan God Goku, Beerus, and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku.

Unfortunately, the mechanics leave a bit to be desired. The sprites have been mined to hell and back to be used for MUGEN characters, though. Someone actually made a fucking phenomenal MvC style Nappa.

Yes! This is a newer version of that.

Also yes. MUGEN supports Xbox controllers like most other windows games. You'll have to go into the settings and map joypad controls, though. Other than that you should be fine.

Cool. I thought it looked pretty interesting. I enjoy the more traditional fighter DBZ games quite a bit.

L Thammy

Is that start menu the full current roster?

More or less. You can press left on the select screen to get an alternate version of Gohan with no undershirt (a la early Buu saga), but he plays the same. There's a few unplayable boss / miniboss characters (Saibaman, Golden Frieza). You can edit them in by poking around the select.def file if you really want.

It's not in this version, but there used to be SSGSS Goku and SSGSS Vegeta as unplayable bosses - but they're just superpowered versions of the playable ones (Golden Frieza probably is too).

Are the sprites homemade? Because it's really good

Yep, they often use other games as a model though.

TCKaos

Son of a bitch, you beat me to posting it! But I was looking forward to this, and I love that they announced Krillin.

There's a guy working on a Yamcha, but the team hasn't officially adopted his character. It looks ridiculous good though. I'll dig out some gifs.

EDIT:

That Yamcha looks sweet as shit. Do you know if that one guy is still working on a Z2 style Trunks?

L Thammy

As far as I know, no, Trunks Z2 has been abandoned. Too bad because it looked pretty good.

In brighter news, Mr. Satan in this version seems to be completely reworked and he isn't a total joke now.

Is that start menu the full current roster?

Oh wait, you mean if the start menu shows everyone they plan to do? In that case, no, they just plan to do whoever they want until they get bored.

Seik

Banned
Game looks legit, but aren't most of these sprites, if not all of them, ripped from Extreme Butoden on 3DS?

Anyways, if the combat mechanics are more complex than EB, I'm all in. While the sprites from AS were top notch, the fighting was lacking in depth a bit.

Game looks legit, but aren't most of these sprites, if not all of them, ripped from Extreme Butoden on 3DS?

Anyways, if the combat mechanics are more complex than EB, I'm all in.
No they aren't Extreme Butoden sprites, this project actually predates that game.

L Thammy

Some people were thinking that Extreme Butouden was ripping off Hyper Dragonball Z when it was announced, seriously. Not the creators of HDBZ, but fans on Siliconera and such. That said, some of the newly announced character do seem to have some redrawn sprites based off Extreme Butouden (look at Krillin and 18's stances), and Piccolo had a few that were based off it (look at his Hellzone Grenade or Super Explosive Wave animations).

I literally saw Dragon Ball on my tabs and didn't really read it and clicked the wrong thread.
Send help.

It's too late. You're soon going to be clicking on unrelated threads on gaming side and telling them how the latest arc is going.

Varna

Vegeta's idle stance seems inspired (not ripped, inspired) by Hyper Dimension, the best dragonball fighting game

dragon-ball-z-hyper-dimension-02.png

Why do people say this? It was just about the most un-dbz game I have ever seen. Completely fails on capturing the feel of the show. Even the old nes card games capture that a lot better. As a fighter it was completely derivative even for it's time (along with all the dbz fighting games up to that point to be honest).

Anyhow, this seems pretty cool. Feels like a mix of SF Alpha and VS series gameplay.

HyperHip

EB is a pretty good game and despite it's simple control scheme still manages to have a solid amount of depth. Tons of cool Assist/OTG combos, and since there's like a gazillion assists it leaves room for all kinds of crazy stuff to go down.

L Thammy

Because I'm obsessed. Lazy comparison between Hyper Dragonball Z sprites and Extreme Butouden sprites where inspiration is there. You can see that it's redrawn in their own style:

Also I could swear this one is based on Extreme Butouden, although I can't find it in the sheet.

Lots of the sprites and moves have been based off of earlier official Dragonball games as well as non-Dragonball fighting games so this isn't a new thing for them, even before Extreme Butouden came out, it's just more noticeable because the styles are closer. Hyper Dragonball Z's animations are much smoother than Extreme Butouden's though. Most of the animations for the characters seem to be based on other sources.

e.g. vanilla Vegeta's elbow strike is based off Butouden 1, Gohan's rising uppercut super is based off of Hyper Dimension, etc.

Durden77

Fuck this looks cool. I hope it's well balanced. I've always dreamed of a fighting game in leauge with SF or the VS. series that was a Dragon Ball game. It would be cool if this was it. The stages look awesome too. Love Yajirobe in the background of the rocky mountain stage.

While I'm at it, did anyone ever play Super Dragon Ball? That one game made apparently with the SF2 fighting director of something? If so, how was it?

Majukun

this will always be my favorite db game

dragon-ball-z-supersonic-warriorstm.33596105.jpg

supersonic warriors on gba..too bad they did a shit job or the sequel on ds

I have an earlier build of this and thought it was hard as fuck, even on easy. But I LOVE the art and animation.

Ended up finally getting Extreme Butoden and loving the whole package though.

this will always be my favorite db game

dragon-ball-z-supersonic-warriorstm.33596105.jpg

supersonic warriors on gba..too bad they did a shit job or the sequel on ds

My man. I play this on my phone all the time (only found out about it a few months ago). Works really well with touchscreen controls honestly.

This project never ceases to impress.

EDIT:

His knockdown better be that one thing better not drop the ball on that lmao

Fuck this looks cool. I hope it's well balanced. I've always dreamed of a fighting game in leauge with SF or the VS. series that was a Dragon Ball game. It would be cool if this was it. The stages look awesome too. Love Yajirobe in the background of the rocky mountain stage.

While I'm at it, did anyone ever play Super Dragon Ball? That one game made apparently with the SF2 fighting director of something? If so, how was it?
Super DBZ is great really underrated game.
https://youtu.be/nlOur3o5LSs
Some high level play if you're interested.

Top Bottom