• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 |OT|: By the Power of Inafune!

Esura

Banned
Damn I wish NIS had those LEs at Gamestop. I would of loved to buy one.

Oh well, loving this game so far though. Drastic change over the previous one, good drastic changes. Sucks I can't spam HDD over and over each battle though. :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got the LE Yesterday and I put around 6 hours on the game so far. Here are my thoughts:

The Good: The in-game graphics are better, the industry shares system makes sense, quests are better designed, and the battles are better.

The Bad: Not as much "funny" skits that lampoon anime and VG's, it is REALLY easy to accidentally disengage HDD mode, and some aliasing.

The Ugly: The blatant fanservice is REALLY bad in this game, the first 10 minutes you already get an eyeful of it.

Esura

Banned
I got the LE Yesterday and I put around 6 hours on the game so far. Here are my thoughts:

The Good: The in-game graphics are better, the industry shares system makes sense, quests are better designed, and the battles are better.

The Bad: Not as much "funny" skits that lampoon anime and VG's, it is REALLY easy to accidentally disengage HDD mode, and some aliasing.

The Ugly: The blatant fanservice is REALLY bad in this game, the first 10 minutes you already get an eyeful of it.

You should change "The Ugly" part to "The Awesome". Those first 10 minutes was awesome as hell imo.

I see IF x Nepgear going places. :p

Coxy

"The Bad: Not as much "funny" skits that lampoon anime and VG's"

there will be, some really good bits about the industry in general and stuff that's happened over the last few years

I finished it for the first time last night, only got the normal ending and seem to have locked myself out of getting anything better because of the shares and lack of quests to change them, oh well, on to new game+

Jucksalbe

Banned
I finished it for the first time last night, only got the normal ending and seem to have locked myself out of getting anything better because of the shares and lack of quests to change them, oh well, on to new game+

Does that mean you can still lose shares if you die?

Coxy

Does that mean you can still lose shares if you die?

no, every quest that raises shares for one side decreases it for another side, so if you end up with 40% planeptune and 60% leanbox in planeptune and dont have any quests in planeptune that increase planeptune while decreasing leanbox you can no longer alter the shares

no, every quest that raises shares for one side decreases it for another side, so if you end up with 40% planeptune and 60% leanbox in planeptune and dont have any quests in planeptune that increase planeptune while decreasing leanbox you can no longer alter the shares

In the first one you could repeat quests and they'd move shares. Can't do that this time?

Coxy

In the first one you could repeat quests and they'd move shares. Can't do that this time?

you can repeat quests as many times as you want yeah, but there's shares for a bunch of towns, so you need a quest from that town to change the shares in thast specific town and you can only increase the share if there's a corresponding share to lower, doing planeptune + 10 arfoire - 10 quests wont increase planeptune if arfoire is already at 0

Esura

Banned
you can repeat quests as many times as you want yeah, but there's shares for a bunch of towns, so you need a quest from that town to change the shares in thast specific town and you can only increase the share if there's a corresponding share to lower, doing planeptune + 10 arfoire - 10 quests wont increase planeptune if arfoire is already at 0

Oh...my...god. I hate shares. It was one of the few things I hated in the first one and now you can't even alter shares if you do them all?

Coxy

Oh...my...god. I hate shares. It was one of the few things I hated in the first one and now you can't even alter shares if you do them all?

there's more quests available on new game+ which cover the possibilities that can lock you out in your first playthrough

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
WTF are these share things? I have my copy of the first game sealed and haven't played it.

My Premium Edition is still on transit from California. I'm guessing all you guys that already got it live in California?

Esura

Banned
WTF are these share things? I have my copy of the first game sealed and haven't played it.

My Premium Edition is still on transit from California. I'm guessing all you guys that already got it live in California?

I'm not quite as familiar with MK2's shares as I am the first one but they are pretty much reputation points for each of the four landmasses. You gain a certain amount of increase and decrease in shares of landmasses depending on what ranked dungeon quest you do. In order to get other goddesses in your party you need to achieve a certain amount of shares for that goddess landmass. Its a pain imo because you'll have to drastically decrease the shares of other landmasses in order to boost the particular landmass you want the goddess from. Also, certain events are only activated if you achieve a certain amount of shares in a landmass (events that usually consist of Gust or NISA). I pretty much got to see all of the events related to them and every other goddess sans White Heart and the True Ending in my first go so I lucked out compared to others. About 94% Event Completion by the end of the Normal Ending.

There is some other major issues with shares imo in the first one. You could lose shares permanantly if Neptune or any other goddess die at any time or if you leave a ranked dungeon. If you lose enough shares permanently, you won't be able to get any other goddess and have to wait for New Game +. It seriously became my biggest pet peeve in this game, but luckily, defending and abusing the heck out of Neptune Break will get you through the game easy without dying.

AutumnAve

My pre-order copy came in yesterday! Working my way through Hyperdimension the first, so could be a while till I get to this one. :/

kiryogi

Banned
Enjoying this a bit, although at first with the framerate and battle system. . . If Nep1 was worse than this lololol. That said, battle system's gotten a little more fun as it's expanded. I'm really debating going to play dub only. . . Compa drives me nuts in japanese lol. So fucking highpitched.

Esura

Banned
Enjoying this a bit, although at first with the framerate and battle system. . . If Nep1 was worse than this lololol. That said, battle system's gotten a little more fun as it's expanded. I'm really debating going to play dub only. . . Compa drives me nuts in japanese lol. So fucking highpitched.

I like the dub for Neptunia personally...then again, I primarily prefer dubs over subs so take that for what you will. :p

Nepgear English voice actress sounds like Noel Vermillion's voice actress.

Coxy

I like the dub for Neptunia personally...then again, I primarily prefer dubs over subs so take that for what you will. :p

Nepgear English voice actress sounds like Noel Vermillion's voice actress.

Noel's VA actually plays Compa, and I think she's one of the best characters in the dub when I cant stand her in japanese

Esura

Banned
Noel's VA actually plays Compa, and I think she's one of the best characters in the dub when I cant stand her in japanese

I did a quick wiki search and...damn she voices both Compa and Nepgear. Wow, Cristina Vee is busy. She is quickly being one of my favorite English voice actress aside from Laura Bailey.

I don't understand Japanese so I don't select the option the use it and I generally don't have an opinion on whether its good or bad though but this is one of the few times I've seen someone not care for Japanese voice acting for a character. :p

Hcoregamer00

I have played the game for around 20 hours so far, is it me or is the game's difficult balance a lot more....unbalanced compared to the original game.

In the original game I just went through the dungeon and beat the boss, with this game I actually needed to grind a couple of times to beat bosses that were insanely hard.

Character spoiler:
5pb and NISA are awesome party members, they are lots of fun in battle

I did a quick wiki search and...damn she voices both Compa and Nepgear. Wow, Cristina Vee is busy. She is quickly being one of my favorite English voice actress aside from Laura Bailey.

I don't understand Japanese so I don't select the option the use it and I generally don't have an opinion on whether its good or bad though but this is one of the few times I've seen someone not care for Japanese voice acting for a character. :p

She is also the voice of Mio from K-On, Homura from Madoka Magica and Saki from AT3.

zulux21

finally got my limited edition... opened it up just to find the box to my cards ripped @_@
oh well at least I can finally start working on beating the game

Volcynika

finally got my limited edition... opened it up just to find the box to my cards ripped @_@
oh well at least I can finally start working on beating the game

That sucks man.

Got my LE today finally, everything seems ok inside. The soundtrack CD was placed in the case backwards, but that's about it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Finally got my copy from NISA. Going to start playing it after dinner. Can't wait.

Hcoregamer00

I do have another issue, which is the music. The music in this game is not as good as the previous game. The town tunes pale in comparison to the awesome themes of lowee, planeptune, leanbox, and lastation from the original. The battle music is good, but I did like the tunes in the original game more.

I wonder what caused the drop in music quality?

I got my standard edition as well! I would have loved the limited edition but everything that isn't in a local store or Amazon is kinda a no for me :( Though I'll still wait till I finished the first before I jump on this, nice to hear it seems quite improved over the first one from everyone's impressions since I already like the first! :D

Though I really wonder why the framerate still seems bad, it's not that I mind but from what I heard the Neptunia games run on the same engine as Trinity Universe which ran quite well so I'm surprised. I guess Gust and Nippon Ichi improved something there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So from Esura's impressions in another thread, and impressions in this thread... the gameplay is... ok or at least better than Neptunia 1?

And this game has shares? The share system sucked in the original. Can't believe they brought it back. You needed to transfer shares to view all of the events by redoing quests, and there was a trophy for that iirc (Histoire Enthusiast, or something?).

Coxy said:
So... they made it more complicated? :(

I couldn't stand the Japanese dub in Neptunia 1. Everyone irritated me. Actually, I don't remember liking the English dub much either, lol.

Yeah, Nep1's battle system consisted of me holding down a button for things to happen faster. So boring. If mk2's battle system is better for sure, I might invest in it. It looks okay from some of the JP footage I've seen, at least.

Esura

Banned
So from Esura's impressions in another thread, and impressions in this thread... the gameplay is... ok or at least better than Neptunia 1?

And this game has shares? The share system sucked in the original. Can't believe they brought it back. You needed to transfer shares to view all of the events by redoing quests, and there was a trophy for that iirc (Histoire Enthusiast, or something?).

I couldn't stand the Japanese dub in Neptunia 1. Everyone irritated me. Actually, I don't remember liking the English dub much either, lol.

Yeah, Nep1's battle system consisted of me holding down a button for things to happen faster. So boring. If mk2's battle system is better for sure, I might invest in it. It looks okay from some of the JP footage I've seen, at least.

Yes, gameplay is much better than the first imo. Won't win any awards for best battle system or anything but its much more...fun.

In this game, they do actually tell you more about shares this time and it doesn't require you to go hunting for NISA to see them, although another member has stated that you could lock yourself out of the True Ending in your first playthrough if you don't watch yourself.

Unlike the previous one, I have no issues whatsoever on recommending this to any RPG enthusiast, content be damned (I love it :p).

Coxy

Gameplay is much much better, I'd go as far as to say this actually a good battle system, it's fast and has a reasonable amount of strategy in the area of effects and positioning

no, it's much simpler, every quest shows you what shares it will change, where and by how much, it's much easier to see what you need to change and how to change it, the only problem is if you dont have an appropriate quest to lower one and raise another, which is only a problem on the first playthrough until you get the new game+ quests

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for your answers, both of you. :)

Oh, phew. I thought shares were going to be a nightmare. I really didn't like the mechanic in the original.

If the battle system is satisfactory and way better than the first game, there's no reason for me to not invest in it. And if positioning matters, that sounds good to me. I like trying everything once.

I'll go out and scour around for the game tomorrow. I'd like to get my hands on it before it gets hard to find. Content aside, I guess I like trying different RPGs in general.

kiryogi

Banned

Haha i've stuck to the jp dub since Hocchan is the lead :D

That said, Mk2 comes off somewhat solid. Like all the systems work and flow. But it still feels like a solid 6 or 7 game, if not purely mediocre. But one thing I could say though is that someone compared the battle system to Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata. I can easily say it's leaps and bounds in comparison to that haha. (I absolutely hated Trusty)

The one thing that feels really off or what cements it as mediocre is the writing. Supposedly as godawful the first one was in terms of gameplay, at least the writing very funny and entertaining? Mk2 comes off pretty plain and dry so far. There's some moments that give me a little chuckle, but it's not really keeping me hooked. If anything, the battle system is what keeps me going.

Thanks for your answers, both of you. :)

Oh, phew. I thought shares were going to be a nightmare. I really didn't like the mechanic in the original.

If the battle system is satisfactory and way better than the first game, there's no reason for me to not invest in it. And if positioning matters, that sounds good to me. I like trying everything once.

I'll go out and scour around for the game tomorrow. I'd like to get my hands on it before it gets hard to find. Content aside, I guess I like trying different RPGs in general.

Yup positioning does matter. You want to keep your healers far away, and never bunch up your characters if you can't help it. But it's also great to abuse on enemies when you have a wide attack :D Messing with the positioning like in ARMS or BLITZ to nail as many as you can at once.

frequency

So I've been waiting patiently for Amazon.ca to ship me a copy.
It's just been "Out of Stock" the whole time.

Ugh...

EBGames.ca still lists it as unreleased.

I just...
This is very frustrating.

Coxy

I dont think it's the writing that's drier so much as some of the characters arent as fun, it definitely kicks up a level in funny when
you get neptune and everyone back

kiryogi

Banned
I dont think it's the writing that's drier so much as some of the characters arent as fun, it definitely kicks up a level in funny when
you get neptune and everyone back

Maybe that's it. The oracle did say that Gear actually had manners in comparison to her sister. That said though, I do love Nisa-chan and Gust-chan a lot. Gust is straight up opportunist alchemist/merchant. She's the one that gave me the little chuckles, while Nisa-chan is just straight up funny/dumb hero antics.

green_focus

So I've been waiting patiently for Amazon.ca to ship me a copy.
It's just been "Out of Stock" the whole time.

Ugh...

EBGames.ca still lists it as unreleased.

I just...
This is very frustrating.

Bought from amazon.com, canceled my amazon.ca order, got my shipping notice yesterday. Might work for you too!

Hcoregamer00

Maybe that's it. The oracle did say that Gear actually had manners in comparison to her sister. That said though, I do love Nisa-chan and Gust-chan a lot. Gust is straight up opportunist alchemist/merchant. She's the one that gave me the little chuckles, while Nisa-chan is just straight up funny/dumb hero antics.

I like Nepgear, she is one of my favorite new characters.

Her Japanese voice (Yui Horie) sounds way too similar to her role as Akane from Kampfer.

kiryogi

Banned
I like Nepgear, she is one of my favorite new characters.

Her Japanese voice (Yui Horie) sounds way too similar to her role as Akane from Kampfer.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the cast. But it just hasn't been very amusing aside from bits and pieces. The thing that fascinated me about the original mk1 was that despite it being such an ass game, the writing and whatnot was a real treat. Anyway, the fact that Hocchan is Nepgear is also mad plus points and why I'm dealing with Compas "waku waku"

Hcoregamer00

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the cast. But it just hasn't been very amusing aside from bits and pieces. The thing that fascinated me about the original mk1 was that despite it being such an ass game, the writing and whatnot was a real treat. Anyway, the fact that Hocchan is Nepgear is also mad plus points and why I'm dealing with Compas "waku waku"

Yeah, the script and the great music in the original one was a treat. Currently the game doesn't have any standout moments that is laugh out loud funny like the original (20 hours on the game so far). I have been genuinely creeped out with the Pedo midboss guy, and frankly the game would be much better without these stupid villains. They feel more like team rocket more than a genuinely evil threat like the OG supervillain.

Volcynika

I feel a lot more eased into this game than the first. I didn't play the first much, but it was because everything was explained so poorly, I didn't know where to start.

This game seems just a much simpler and removes a lot of the unneeded complexity of the previous game.

Hcoregamer00

I feel a lot more eased into this game than the first. I didn't play the first much, but it was because everything was explained so poorly, I didn't know where to start.

This game seems just a much simpler and removes a lot of the unneeded complexity of the previous game.

I agree that overall it is a better game, but it seems to be missing some of the origninal's charm. With that said, the battle system is far superior, the share system makes logical sense, and I find Nepgear more likable than Compa (I would replace her, but I need a better healer first :/ ).

I like mk2, I just miss Neptune and Noire interacting with the characters.

kiryogi

Banned
I agree that overall it is a better game, but it seems to be missing some of the origninal's charm. With that said, the battle system is far superior, the share system makes logical sense, and I find Nepgear more likable than Compa (I would replace her, but I need a better healer first :/ ).

I threw out Compa for Gust the moment I got her.

Volcynika

Yeah, it seems while the first had the charm and such, but it was severely lacking mechanically. Then this one they went and kinda reversed those, rather than keeping a good script and just improving the gameplay. Granted I've only played 2 hours of this game though.

lljride

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy is the item text / some of the tutorial text so damn small.

Yeah that sucks. I'm not really a fan of the font used during cutscenes either, seems pretty big and ugly.

Also not digging the new 3D character portraits. The 2D portraits were so much better looking.

Battle system seems to have potential though, which is nice.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yeah that sucks. I'm not really a fan of the font used during cutscenes either, seems pretty big and ugly.

Also not digging the new 3D character portraits. The 2D portraits were so much better looking.

Battle system seems to have potential though, which is nice.

Yeah, it's even more striking when you get a scene that uses 2D portraits. The models during the dialogs look worse than the models during gameplay parts, maybe that's just me.

Volcynika

Yeah I have to squint to see some of that text.

Oh yeah, I have to remember to download the free DLC NISA put up already. Just item packs for now, I assume?

lljride

Yeah, it's even more striking when you get a scene that uses 2D portraits. The models during the dialogs look worse than the models during gameplay parts, maybe that's just me.

Okay, so I wasn't crazy lol. I saw one scene in 2D and afterwards I wasn't sure it even happened since everything was back to 3D.

Doesn't help that I changed my PSN avatar to Compa, so everytime I go to the XMB I'm reminded what could have been :(

kiryogi

Banned
Is the combat still clunky and slow in this game? Also can you heal outside of random chance?

Combat is apparently absolutely revamped. The best comparison is that it's similar to Eternal Sonata. And what do you mean by random chance? You get a full heal when you're on the world map. Otherwise, healing is done via items or in combat thru spells.

Top Bottom