• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 hits Steam January 28th, $14.99, Dual Audio, 900p

Durante

Hey so I'm a bit confused, is there a way to change the resolution when running at fullscreen? I think my computer might be able to run this at a stable framerate at 720p, but I have a 2560x1440 monitor and I would definitely get single digit FPS if that's what it defaults to.

Also, praise Durante.
If you use my interceptor dll you can set any rendering resolution you want and the game will use it.

(I tested 400x300 -- it's not pretty :p)

Avallon

I played this game back in its original form back when it was first released for PS3, but was never able to finish the game. It was too much of an obtuse, grindy mess. The changes that IF have made to this game are just astounding. The combat is fun now! The world map isn't a chore to navigate! Everything just feels better.

So, now that the game is working as intended, I would just like to say "thank you IF" for bringing such a fun and unique game to the PC platform. I have a Vita and PS4 as well, and I will continue to support you on each platform.

Great job Iffy!

Dinjoralo

I'm curious, does this newfound fix allow for downsampling?
Thanks though, Durante. The game was running fine in 1080p for me, but this should be nice for people who were having problems. :>

Durante

I'm curious, does this newfound fix allow for downsampling?
Yes. You can use bilinear downsampling without any issue up to 4x your resolution simply by setting it in the .ini, the game does the rest.

Alternatively (or on top of that), because it unlocks arbitrary resolutions, you can use it in combination with driver-level downsampling (e.g. DSR), but you need to set your desktop resolution to the downsampling resolution before starting the game.

Dinjoralo

Yes. You can use bilinear downsampling without any issue up to 4x your resolution simply by setting it in the .ini, the game does the rest.

Alternatively (or on top of that), because it unlocks arbitrary resolutions, you can use it in combination with driver-level downsampling (e.g. DSR), but you need to set your desktop resolution to the downsampling resolution before starting the game.
Noice.
Though it seems that using this causes framerate problems, mainly during battles. It's not the downsampling, setting it to just about any resolution causes hitching. I guess that's why it's version oh-point-one. :v

Sadly the fix seems to tank my framerate right down the toilet during battles even if I set the render resolution to 1080p, and that fuzziness on the character models when not fully zoomed in sticks out heavily, so I'll stick with the default resolution.

Durante

I guess these framerate issues some people see might actually be CPU limitations. I don't know how heavy the whole glintercept machinery is in terms of additional CPU load (and on my Haswell E I wouldn't notice :p).

Cindered

Neo Member
I guess these framerate issues some people see might actually be CPU limitations. I don't know how heavy the whole glintercept machinery is in terms of additional CPU load (and on my Haswell E I wouldn't notice :p).

That looks like what's happening on my end, my CPU usage is going from about ~75% usage to getting capped out with the mod. Guess a 3770k just doesn't cut it for Vita port gaming anymore!

Durante

That looks like what's happening on my end, my CPU usage is going from about ~75% usage to getting capped out with the mod. Guess a 3770k just doesn't cut it for Vita port gaming anymore!
Out of curiosity, are you using an AMD or Nvidia GPU?

I've noticed increased CPU usage as well by just having GLIntercept around. It's not that noticeable in game since it smooths out fairly quickly but it's particularly bad at the start of battles. Seems like a single threaded bottleneck.

I'm on i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz and a GTX 970.

Dinjoralo

dont having framerate problems with durante's voodoo on a 3570k + 780 at 4k.

Funny, I have a 3570k and a GTX 970, and I'm getting framerate problems. Weird.

I've noticed increased CPU usage as well by just having GLIntercept around. It's not that noticeable in game since it smooths out fairly quickly but it's particularly bad at the start of battles. Seems like a single threaded bottleneck.

I think the game itself had this problem on release for me, but it seemed to get fixed by a patch.

Was always curious about the series but never bothered until this PC Rebirth version and cheap price. Enjoyable with fun battles and colorful look. The warning against integrated cards is apparently overcautious, although this is an i5-4460 w/8gb ram. Runs smooth and fast as is, no crashes yet, DLC seems to be working, etc.

I switched to full-screen 1080p(-ish?) lol but here's an earlier shot with a dlc character:
neprb1_br8exxs.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
When I full-screen, the movies will either be completely black or only have a few tearing lines shown. Sound is fine. When windowed, the movies play normally. As mentioned earlier, it seems related to various codecs. Bit of a hassle to fix that just for full-screen Neptunia, so I'll just stick to windowed for now.

Uthred

S-same here. I wondered why I people were curious over this game, and now I can see its just because of their "waifus".

Rubbish, you dont need to buy into the whole "waifu" meme (and I certainly dont) to enjoy the game, its amusingly enough written with a solid if unexceptional combat system and nice looking art. There are plenty of legitimate avenues for criticism of the game without constructing stuff like this out of whole cloth.

PewPewK

I put up an official release version with a fixed config file (disabling error logging) here.

Praise be to you, game looks much better.

Only thing I'm confused by is it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I set it to (tested 1080p to 2160p), I always get 35-45 FPS using this method.

If it is a CPU issue, I don't think I should have problems, but I guess it's possible. I have an i7-3960X which is a bit old at this point, but still a pretty beastly processor.

I noticed that the included OpenGL32.dll is quite large compared to normal. Even with the hooking code I wasn't sure it was supposed to be that large. Durante, is it possible you bundled the debug DLL? The DLL included with GLIntercept's manual install is 865KB whereas the one in your download is 2,699KB.

I uploaded the one from GLIntercept if people want to try and see if it improves their performance: https://mega.co.nz/#!vZUS1IDD!1Di050IlmXqa2TrJOedcmlWSk550pgx2hJnpexv45FM

Dinjoralo

I noticed that the included OpenGL32.dll is quite large compared to normal. Even with the hooking code I wasn't sure it was supposed to be that large. Durante, is it possible you bundled the debug DLL? The DLL included with GLIntercept's manual install is 865KB whereas the one in your download is 2,699KB.

I uploaded the one from GLIntercept if people want to try and see if it improves their performance: https://mega.co.nz/#!vZUS1IDD!1Di050IlmXqa2TrJOedcmlWSk550pgx2hJnpexv45FM
Ah yes, this seems to work much better. Thanks.

Bingo. I was having framerate issues with Hyperresolution on my i5-4690k (@4.3 GHz)/GTX 760 combo until I used this OpenGL32.dll file.

Thanks for this mate, it makes perfect sense that the debug OpenGL32.dll file would have atrocious CPU overhead and subsequently max out a CPU core completely.

Durante

I noticed that the included OpenGL32.dll is quite large compared to normal. Even with the hooking code I wasn't sure it was supposed to be that large. Durante, is it possible you bundled the debug DLL?
I did. And also a debug build of the plugin dll. I'll fix that tomorrow.

I did. And also a debug build of the plugin dll. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Well Durante I'm 100% serious if I say, because of you I'll triple-dip for sure on Monday now! Your works should come bundled with every Windows version in case of gaming, they are essential! Thanks for the great work! :D

Thank you. Let's see if it works.

edit: nope.

Boo. If you try running the executable directly does it give you any error? There was also some mention about video codecs causing trouble and something about setting the game to an ignore directory... but I honestly don't know what the steps to fix that were.

You could also try setting it to Windows XP SP3 compatibility.

Bought it on a whim last night knowing only that the franchise was some weird moe sendup on the gaming industry. Installed and started playing it today. I... I am at a lost for words. Nothing could have prepared me.

I kind of like this stupid little game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Boo. If you try running the executable directly does it give you any error? There was also some mention about video codecs causing trouble and something about setting the game to an ignore directory... but I honestly don't know what the steps to fix that were.

You could also try setting it to Windows XP SP3 compatibility.

Hmm, alright, hopefully it works.

edit: yep, works now. Thanks for your help!

So weird though. Why do I need to run this in Windows XP compatibility.

Durante

I did some minor cleanup and built both .dlls in release mode:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=691

Now, I have an actual gameplay question!
With mouse/kb, in battle, you can hold the right mouse button to change a character's orientation without moving them. This is incredibly useful to line up attacks to hit multiple enemies. Is there a way to do this on gamepad?

ezodagrom

Only noticed it by accident...sometimes I kinda forget the d-pad is there...
Accidentally pressed up in-battle with the d-pad, which zoomed up, and after that checked what right and left did.

Durante

One thing I noticed which surprised me is that the static background images are really high res (at least 1080p). Good in IF getting the original source assets in there.

Great work from Durante as always, huge thanks for all your efforts.

I'm playing on a 16:10 monitor, which seems to be the cause of the 'sky' bars shown in my screenshot:

Bars themselves aren't the issue, rather the sky image used on them which I find really distracting. Is there any way to force black bars, or am I stuck with this?

Great work from Durante as always, huge thanks for all your efforts.

I'm playing on a 16:10 monitor, which seems to be the cause of the 'sky' bars shown in my screenshot:

Bars themselves aren't the issue, rather the sky image used on them which I find really distracting. Is there any way to force black bars, or am I stuck with this?

It seems they're not clearing the buffer after playing the intro movie and you get whatever's leftover in the letterboxed spaces. I can think of an annoying way to get it the way you want and it's to use a custom resolution with GPU scaling. Here's a handy visual guide (hopefully you use nvidia otherwise you're on your own):

Step 1: Use GPU scaling and override scaling mode
zzBki6m.png

Step 2: Go to your resolution panel and click Customize...
cijaPUs.png

Step 3: Select Create Custom Resolution...
6G35GAT.png

Step 4: Finally, create a resolution of 1920x1080,
WHxzisp.png

Then before playing change your desktop resolution to 1920x1080. You will have black bars.

Note that you don't need to use 1920x1080 as your custom resolution. Any 16:9 will do, feel free to pick the closest to your actual resolution. There's a list here. If you find the screen is too blurry or small, you can use "no scaling" mode instead of "aspect-ratio" along with a resolution that is vertically smaller than your resolution. To calculate this take you horizontal resolution and multiple by 9/16. Example: 1680 * 9 / 16 = 945. Then use this custom vertical height with your regular width, which would be 1680x945 in this example.

Top Bottom