• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 hits Steam January 28th, $14.99, Dual Audio, 900p

SerTapTap

Hmmmm looking at all these 2D assets kind of makes me think they'll look awful if you run the game at any resolution above 1280x720.

Lowering the resolution isn't going to help unless you're on a 720p display. Either your display or the game can upscale it, game upscaling is probably better and lets non-720p stuff look better.

Yeah some of their music is quite good. Shame their first print/Limited edition CDs are never more than samplers.

Battlechili

Banned
Can you tell me the specs of your toaster? xD I'm thinking about pulling the plug as I soon as I get my paycheck, but I'm still on the fence
Sure.
http://i.imgur.com/inOEZt1.jpg
On this the game runs anywhere from 9 to 30FPS depending upon what's going on. There isn't really any noticeable lag until I go running around on a field and then its usually at about 9-10FPS so its very ugly to look at. Battles are a little smoother but still iffy, but the visual novel esque stuff, menus, and world map are fine and usually there aren't any loading issues. Note that I play the game fullscreen at 720p.

How is this game in terms of missables? Anything I should have on-hand/open if I want to avoid missing quests, etc?

I've been in the mood for a JRPG and one on Steam is perfect for me right now. Really looking forward to this one.

Corgi

Banned
Lowering the resolution isn't going to help unless you're on a 720p display. Either your display or the game can upscale it, game upscaling is probably better and lets non-720p stuff look better.

Yeah some of their music is quite good. Shame their first print/Limited edition CDs are never more than samplers.

at the same time I HATE THE OVERWORLD MUSIC.

Marche90

Sure.
http://i.imgur.com/inOEZt1.jpg
On this the game runs anywhere from 9 to 30FPS depending upon what's going on. There isn't really any noticeable lag until I go running around on a field and then its usually at about 9-10FPS so its very ugly to look at. Battles are a little smoother but still iffy, but the visual novel esque stuff, menus, and world map are fine and usually there aren't any loading issues. Note that I play the game fullscreen at 720p.

Oh, cool beans. I should get decent performance, then! Thanks.

Now to wait for the paycheck to come...

Corgi

Banned
Just bought because, its friday!

game run surprisingly fine for me, as in no issues.

You know fuck me... I've always been on the mind set that jrpgs, crappy framerate, if there is no timing aspects... whatever. who cares!

But holy shit does a 60fps jrpg look great! Even with the shitty 900p bullshit, you forget all that when you are actually playing.

smooth as nepnep's bum.

Picked it up tonight since I've had a mild interest in the series.

Didn't get very far, but things went a lot smoother when I hooked up a controller since KB+M controls are outrageous.

I like the whole concept thus far, but I'll see if I can dedicate some time this week to play more often.

Yeah, whoever came up with the way the keyboard controls work was out of their minds. Though I do give them credit for having a setup that's usable with a mouse pad, Dragon Age just flat out doesn't work on many mouse pads.

Durante

The thread title is incorrect -- apparently the game developers themselves don't know what resolution the game renders at :p

FWIW, it's rendering at 1920x1088 on my system, when set to "Fullscreen" and 1600x900 on a 2560x1440 monitor. (Yeah, none of this makes sense)

Durante

Rendering at 5120x2880 downsampling to 2560x1440:

neptuniarebirth1_2015fbxnt.png

neptuniarebirth1_2015d9avc.png

neptuniarebirth1_2015q3au5.png

I had it working half an hour ago, but still needed to take care of the HUD. WHich was about 100x easier than any other game I've ever worked on.

I even fixed the map (and minimap) rendering:
neptuniarebirth1_2015cpxvv.png

Durante to the rescue! Somehow I knew you'd enjoy the challenge - what better time to implement OGL hooks? <3

Theory about what they did wrong: 1920x1088 is exactly double that of the Vita but is a weird ass resolution with 8 extra rows that causes it to fall back to 1600x900.

This would explain some of the bizarre behavior I was experiencing.

Baha

Good luck to the mod with the task of making Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 be a part of his tag.

A Deadly Premonition hit his Dark Soul like a bolt of Lightning: "I can make their games better. Nep nep!." Or something to that effect?

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, blown up, this section in particular makes a very compelling argument that your screenshot in particular is indeed native, at 1080p

So I'm guessing the fix is a much simpler 'figure out why the game is getting confused as to what resolution it should be rendering at' than getting custom resolutions to work in the first place.

edit: For comparison, the 1440p screenshot linked earlier in this thread, which is clearly being upscaled

The thread title is incorrect -- apparently the game developers themselves don't know what resolution the game renders at :p

FWIW, it's rendering at 1920x1088 on my system, when set to "Fullscreen" and 1600x900 on a 2560x1440 monitor. (Yeah, none of this makes sense)

Pfhahahaha called it, other than the slightly-off vertical resolution of 1088p.

Game looks sick downsampled, which I didn't really think would have that pronounced an effect.

Grief.exe

Magical computer wizardry

You seem to do this fairly quickly, yet time and time again you say this would be even simpler to implement with access to the source code. Which always begs the question, why aren't the developers taking care of this initially?

Here's a download link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ggsXQR6B!hCZWiOV6I2Ph3ENFKk_NAgZc_FnAkoIfojhKZsNsHoQ

As soon as someone here tells me it actually works for them I'll make an "official" release and blog post.

Working for me as well.

Do you know what's up with that fuzz that's around characters and distant objects? This is downsampled from 10240x5760 (which knocks my framerate down to about 20), and the IQ still looks strange. Is that a poor DOF effect or something?

BTW logging was enabled and was spamming the shit out of the log (t was up to 27MB in about 1 minute lol). Lots of
GL ERROR - Function glClientActiveTexture generated error 0x0500

Durante

You seem to do this fairly quickly, yet time and time again you say this would be even simpler to implement with access to the source code. Which always begs the question, why aren't the developers taking care of this initially?
I honestly don't know.

Working for me as well.

Do you know what's up with that fuzz that's around characters and distant objects? This is downsampled from 10240x5760 (which knocks my framerate down to about 20), and the IQ still looks strange. Is that a poor DOF effect or something?
It's related to how they do the line rendering.

BTW logging was enabled and was spamming the shit out of the log (t was up to 27MB in about 1 minute lol). Lots of
GL ERROR - Function glClientActiveTexture generated error 0x0500
Thanks. I'll need to disable that before release, those are errors in the original program.

ok I bought this, because a colleague said to me that this game is great and I shouldn't be bothered about the lolis, because they were almost non existent and the battle system and the story would be faboulous...

after I forced myself through ffxiii i said to myself: "Hey footfunghi, it can't be worse"!

little did I know and now, after 4 hours of playing, there is one question popping up in my mind permanently: How many of these producers/programmers/artists do have little daughters at home and are proud of their work they are doing and are coming home with their work and show it proudly to their wife and their daughters and their parents and their grandparents...

no, im uninstalling this game, there was a reason I never bothered with any other ps3 jrpgs besides ni no kuni and tales...

I should have bought trails instead...

I put up an official release version with a fixed config file (disabling error logging) here.

Thank you.

ok I bought this, because a colleague said to me that this game is great and I shouldn't be bothered about the lolis, because they were almost non existent and the battle system and the story would be faboulous...

after I forced myself through ffxiii i said to myself: "Hey footfunghi, it can't be worse"!

little did I know and now, after 4 hours of playing, there is one question popping up in my mind permanently: How many of these producers/programmers/artists do have little daughters at home and are proud of their work they are doing and are coming home with their work and show it proudly to their wife and their daughters and their parents and their grandparents...

no, im uninstalling this game, there was a reason I never bothered with any other ps3 jrpgs besides ni no kuni and tales...

Yes you should have bought Trails(and Ys).

Durante

Holy crap that README file quick-typing-and-never-reading:
Extract all files in this archive to you the game installation directory
(where "NeptuniaReBirth1.exe" is, ususally in "Steam/steamapps/common/Neptunia Rebirth1/").

Embarrassing :p

_hekk05

Banned

The main character designer and artist for the neptunia games is Tsunako. She started out in the industry creating sprites. Now, she is the main artist for the neptunia series as well as one of the artists for fairy fencer f.

She was also in charge of character designs in the Date.A.Live novels and sprite illustrations in the games.

She was ranked 6th on the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2014 Top Illustrator Rankings.

So I guess she's quite happy where she is

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Holy crap that README file quick-typing-and-never-reading:

Embarrassing :p

I've sent e-mails to my manager like that when I'm exhausted and trying to work too quickly. No worries, you're still the Hero of Gaming™ in my book! :D

Momentary

Banned
It's sad that someone that does this for a hobby continuously shows up numerous developers who get paid to do this.

I can't believe you haven't had any offers to work for some of these companies.

Needless to say there are porting groups out there like Nixxes and QLOC who want the business as well. I'm pretty sure a Polish company like QLOC doesn't try to rip developers/publishers off for their services.

It just seems kind of ridiculous that there are services provided out there that can offer a better end product and they aren't being utilized.

Alboreo

If anyone has an issue with the screen flickering repeatedly as though it were losing focus, forcing you to restart, try playing without your controller. It isn't doing it for me when it isn't plugged in, which is unfortunate, because I'm much more comfortable playing it with one than not.

If anyone has another solution, please let me know. I found one other guy on the Steam forums who had the issue and claimed to have fixed it, however, he never posted how.

Hey so I'm a bit confused, is there a way to change the resolution when running at fullscreen? I think my computer might be able to run this at a stable framerate at 720p, but I have a 2560x1440 monitor and I would definitely get single digit FPS if that's what it defaults to.

Also, praise Durante.

Sölf

So, downloaded, played until I hit the world map, tested a bit and decided that 3840x2160 downscaled to 1920x1080 looks good.

Now let's see if this holds up or if some problems appear later on. But again, thanks Durante. :0

Uthred

While I think most would agree Trails is a better game this post is still just, well I mean implying that the vast majority of PS3 JRPGS are some kind of, I dont know, loli pandering says it all really. The Neptunia games are harmless, there are better targets for launching an ersatz moral crusade.

Top Bottom