• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Historia, The Zelda 25th anniversary art book.

Jintor

I definitely believe this is coming over.

Instead of the manga insert, they'll use the Penny Arcade comic as an insert. I feel like this was set up from the start.

Oh shit, I nearly forgot about that.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have the cards
they are quite nice, but a little too thin. The Retro cards are immense.

HylianTom

Banned
I love all of these folks screaming, "Nintendo, take my money!" Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about the future.

(And yes.. they can take my money. Especially on nice stuff like this. There are some months or years where I might as well give them my bank account number.)

Kard8p3

Zelda look significantly off on the manga cover........

As for the art book... GOTTA HAVE IT!

Late game Skyward Sword spoilers
I'm pretty sure the woman on the cover isn't Zelda but Hylia. Makes even more sense when you see the page taken from the manga. Seems they'll be giving us a more in depth version of the SS backstory.

snesfreak

Banned
Ooohh, DO WANT!
This is false:

100b.jpg

In all it's hand watercolored glory.
I feel like old Biff in BttF2 when he's in the past reading that.
"I remember that!"

Can you send me a translation, please? I'd like to know what that scene is about.

She says she's Hylia the White Goddess right after some humans mistook the Loftwing (which also appears to be some sort of god) for a monster. Hylia and the Loftwing seem to be looking for someone, that era's "chosen hero" I'd guess. It's set before Skyward Sword obviously.

BY2K

Membero Americo
She says she's Hylia the White Goddess right after some humans mistook the Loftwing (which also appears to be some sort of god) for a monster. Hylia and the Loftwing seem to be looking for someone, that era's "chosen hero" I'd guess. It's set before Skyward Sword obviously.

They'll go deep in the backstory, then.
Too bad the mangas aren't canon.

But surely as this is a Nintendo made Manga in a Nintendo made artbook it could be considered Canon?
The hierarchy of Zelda canon goes:

In-game evidence (latest release) > In-game evidence (original release) > Post-release dev quotes > Pre-release dev quotes > Official game marketing materials > Mangas > Animes >Trading Cards > Bill Trinen

duckroll

Wasn't that game made by Capcom? Could be Nintendo just didn't get around to getting their art together or something.

So were the Oracle games. They're included in the book.

Here's a breakdown of what's in the book based on the table of contents:

Detailed Skyward Sword stuff broken into various sections: 67 pages

The World of Hyrule detailed in several sections including a timeline: 70 pages

Artwork for the individual games:
Legend of Zelda - 4 pages
Link's Adventure & Link to the Past - 2 pages
Link's Awakening - 1 page
Ocarina of Time - 6 pages
Majora's Mask - 3 pages
Wind Waker - 10 pages
Oracle series - 6 pages
Twilight Princess - 32 pages
Phantom Hourglass - 4 pages
Spirit Tracks - 22 pages

The rest of the book contains an evolution of Link's character designs over the years, a catalog of Zelda games, and some other extra stuff.

duckroll

It says it's a historical timeline of Hyrule. Whether it actually takes every Zelda game into actual account is another matter. It might though! (lol)

It says it's a historical timeline of Hyrule. Whether it actually takes every Zelda game into actual account is another matter. It might though! (lol)

Interesting.

It would become a canon timeline until the next game comes out that contradicts or retcons it.

Also, they better not just be excising Minish Cap from the continuity. That shit's for the likes of Castlevania, not Zelda.

Platy

Getting as soon as it hits BookDepository =3

I'm a sucker for artbooks and zelda series is my favorite ... i'm just a litle sad for the lack fo minish cap ... but it has 10 pages of Wind Waker ... so it is ok =D

I hope it has lots of drawings to how they came to the style =3

You mean like those people that base their view of Sheik's gender based on the OoT manga?

I don't give a crap.

What does the manga say ?

Wait, Skyward Sword spoilers. I really need to step up playing that game.

A bit disappointing to see the earlier games get very little art but I guess the concept art is long lost in the archives (if they can pull out the Zelda 1 overworld from the archives they must have other things) and (LTTP and LA in particular) the official artwork kind of stopped drawing artwork for every enemy at that point. I suppose there are the manual pieces though.

So, does it reveal the official timeline? :p
It might do but there will be holes and fans will pick it apart anyway. Remember our last official Timeline (back in the 90s) had Links Awakening happening during Zelda 2.

There is no benefit for Nintendo to answer everything as it keeps fans up at night and supporting the series. i.e. its become a marketing tool.

Also where can one import the book?
Probably not the best but: Amazon will ship it for a very expensive price (thousands of Yen), CD Japan usually have them too which still works out expenisve. Given platy says BookDepositry...

I still hope for a translation. Into French if nothing else (it seems Nintendo France did that for the Xenoblade book and they only made 1000 copies of which were not sold but a registration bonus).

Does it cover the CD-i games too? They're a part of Zelda history as well.
Doesn't look like it covers the BSX games either which is a shame as those did have at least one piece of art. I think the problem with the CDi games is nobody wants to remember them and there might even be rights issues too (Nintendo don't own the CDi games, only the rubber stamp to approve them having their characters in which stamped yes as there was no point saying no).

BY2K

Membero Americo
What does the manga say ?

In the manga, Impa "seals" Zelda in a male body, telling her to live as a boy until it's her time to awaken.

So yeah, the Manga says Sheik is male. But like I said, the mangas aren't canon.

Kaldea

Oh God, it's like they reached into my dreams. :U I need to get this.

Would have liked more pages on Link's Awakening, but I'm greedy.

Luigiv

In the manga, Impa "seals" Zelda in a male body, telling her to live as a boy until it's her time to awaken.

So yeah, the Manga says Sheik is male. But like I said, the mangas aren't canon.

Sheik was "male" in the game too. At least he is if you define Sheik as the personality that Zelda adopts as opposed to being Zelda herself. I mean, just look at the official character portrait. It's pretty obvious Zelda was pretending to be male, given how she transformed her figure.

b7IdU.jpg

So yeah, it's canon, anyway.

I guess there's no chance in hell of a translated version of that book coming here. I would love to see the artwork but I'd love it infinitely more to be able to read the history in it. I'm a huge nerd for that kind of stuff.

Big One

Banned
Huh this will be interesting, wonder how much controversy it'll create.

Though I could see it only covering the OoT-sect of games which might even piss even more people off.

Big One

Banned
Why is the manga so crappy and cheap looking, also why does spirit tracks get 22 pages of art :C need more wind waker art.
Because Spirit Tracks is the most recent title aside from Skyward Sword most likely.

Also the manga looks crappy and cheap looking cause it's made by the usual artist who does these Zelda manga

Top Bottom