• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors coming out on August 14 in Japan [Up: Famitsu Images]

TriGen

This got me kind of hyped. Since what I could see from the scans made it look alright. Hearing about extra playable characters is kind of key. I know that was expected because of DW but you never know if they'll take the easy way out and just make it about Link.

I'm a Zelda fan so now I'm even more hyped for E3, as I'm not just stoked for a Zelda U reveal, but now I also am looking forward to getting a good look at this.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wonder what they mean by surprise characters. Couldn't possibly be that rumor about Samus in Ancient Chozo Armor, Pit from Kid Icarus and Takamaru showing up. Probably some Lu Bu adaptation or a Koei character getting in the game somehow. Would love that rumor to be true though.

I am curious about this new villain character. And since this is a Koei Musou we can probably play as that character in a separate "Dream Mode".

TreIII

I wonder what they mean by surprise characters. Couldn't possibly be that rumor about Samus in Ancient Chozo Armor, Pit from Kid Icarus and Takamaru showing up. Probably some Lu Bu adaptation or a Koei character getting in the game somehow. Would love that rumor to be true though.

I think it's safe to say that rumor was BS. Remember how it talked about how the game was "directed towards Western audiences" and "be released in the West first"? :)

To me, "surprise characters" likely means that some old fan favorites from the series will make it in. New renditions of the OoT sages and Midna would be what I'd expect as a start, given how Koei has done similar with other "Franchise" Musou games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think it's safe to say that rumor was BS. Remember how it talked about how the game was "directed towards Western audiences" and "be released in the West first"? :)

To me, "surprise characters" likely means that some old fan favorites from the series will make it in. New renditions of the OoT sages and Midna would be what I'd expect as a start, given how Koei has done similar with other "Franchise" Musou games.

All I really need confirmation of is playable Ganondorf. All I'm hoping for really. Bonus points for Demise.

Mory Dunz

Hmm, thought it would be next year at the earliest, that was unexpected.

I'm thinking Zelda U will be Fall '15, so they wouldn't want these two games coming out anywhere near each other, despite the difference in genre.

That and they said Summer in the initial Japenese trailer I believe. :)

Not

Banned
So, not canon? That's weird. I feel like all the Zelda spin offs have been canon... 'cept maybe Tingle's games or whatever

Khrno

I've never actually played one of these games. How exactly is the gameplay structured?

Y you run around following red markers on your mini map to complete objectives, and while you do that there's hundreds of enemies between you and victory, so basically (going of PS controls) you press, square, square, square, square, square, and keep pressing square, might press triangle here and there but it's not really necessary, and when you have your Musou meter full, you press circle for a special, then keep pressing square, square and more square.

To simplify: mindless hack and slash fun.

AGITΩ

The Scan got me pretty hyped, spent the last 5 hours playing Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper on my Wii U. Need to get those Bonds up.

Khrno

So it's pretty much all combat focused, right? Is there any sort of area to area progression involved, or do they just sort of drop you into an arena?

This is how the story progression (for one of the 5 different factions I believe) looks like on Dynasty Warriors 8:

9Kfo8AC.png

As you see on the mini map below the Select Stage, there is a linear progression, but some stages (in this particular game) had special objectives that would unlock alternative missions for that story path, or even characters to use in a coming mission.

The 4 characters on the Capture of Wei frame can be selected to play on that level, and as said above.

This is how the conquest mode on Dynasty Warriors 7 looks like, every little hexagon is a different mission, and if I remember correctly, you can do them with any character.

And this is an area map.

This is a good post that explains things.

If Wii U is your only console, you could try out Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper to get a taste of the series first-hand. It's a really strong entry in the series and it should be cheap these days.

Kill thousands of minions, dozens of generals, get killed by a single Lu Bu. Repeat.

It depends on the game, and often even the specific mode within the game.

Y you run around following red markers on your mini map to complete objectives, and while you do that there's hundreds of enemies between you and victory, so basically (going of PS controls) you press, square, square, square, square, square, and keep pressing square, might press triangle here and there but it's not really necessary, and when you have your Musou meter full, you press circle for a special, then keep pressing square, square and more square.

To simplify: mindless hack and slash fun.

This is how the story progression (for one of the 5 different factions I believe) looks like on Dynasty Warriors 8:

[snip]

As you see on the mini map below the Select Stage, there is a linear progression, but some stages (in this particular game) had special objectives that would unlock alternative missions for that story path, or even characters to use in a coming mission.

The 4 characters on the Capture of Wei frame can be selected to play on that level, and as said above.

This is how the conquest mode on Dynasty Warriors 7 looks like, every little hexagon is a different mission, and if I remember correctly, you can do them with any character.

[snip]

And this is an area map.

[snip]
Thanks for the detailed feedback guys. Sounds like fun if it's handled properly, and I will probably bite if the reviews/GAF feedback are good. Here's hoping they sprinkle in a liberal dose of classic Zelda references that help differentiate this one from other Musou games beyond the visuals.

Stulaw

It's coming out in three months and it still has its placeholder title?

It's only had a placeholder title in the west, in Japan, it's always been Zelda Musou with an official logo.

Also got this from an unlinkable forum about what Shia's minions a known as:
  • 灼熱狂戦士ヴァルガ The Scorching Berserker: Varuga
  • 暗黒魔術師ウィズロ The Magician of Darkness: Wizuro

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's only had a placeholder title in the west, in Japan, it's always been Zelda Musou with an official logo.

Sounds awesome.

wizard is wizardo or wizuro ?

I am curious about this new villain character. And since this is a Koei Musou we can probably play as that character in a separate "Dream Mode".

I honestly think it's going to mean Shiek/Tingle/Groose-level, rather than cross-overs.

Khrno

Yep.

Anyway, I have a strong feeling it'll have "The Legend Of Zelda" in the title.

Let's have a look at how likely is that it will have that in the english title going by the previous 3 collaborations between Tecmo Koei and Bandai Namco:

- Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors
- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage

So first, all three collaborations clearly state the name of the media franchise they belong to, secondly, only two of them specify that they are (Dynasty) Warriors type of games, and lastly, the FotNS games don't have Warriors on the title, but in Japanese they are called Hokuto Musou, so the english title was the exception.

So the title suggested by many, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors, would be a quite likely one, since I think both Nintendo and Tecmo Koei will want their franchises names to appear in the title.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Forget Zelda, Orochi warriors 3 Ultimate is getting a ps4 release!? Sign me the fuck up.

I want to play Hyrule Warriors bad too

Kyzon

I think we'll be able to play as Zelda in this. I hope she has Lightning Kicks. I kinda feel like Ganondorf will be playable as well.

What has me the most excited though is White Haired Impa. I was kinda annoyed at her being blonde in Skyward Sword.

why are some of you saying this game looks amazing? It did not look so hot the last time I saw it

and the scan i googled is just a magazine photo from like 2 feet away
KuGsj.gif

I literally just got excited for the "possibility" of playing as Ghirahim. If they put him in as a playable character then nothing will stop me from buying this game.

Mariolee

I'm calling it now just because it's pretty out there, but Hyrule Warriors will lead directly into Zelda U storywise. I don't care how much sense it doesn't make, you heard it here first folks.

Top Bottom