• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors coming out on August 14 in Japan [Up: Famitsu Images]

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
This looks like Nintendo damaging the Zelda brand in the same way they did with Metroid Other M.

No, not really. Metroid Other M is damaging to the series because its a main Metroid title. Hyrule Warriors, on the other hand, is a spin off game completely unrelated to the main Zelda games. On top of that, we already know we are getting a "real" Zelda game this year
(well, okay, maybe 2015).

Soroc

Is it just me or does Link look the most feminine he has ever looked in these screens? I like the way Link looks usually but he comes off super feminine to me in these shots

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, not really. Metroid Other M is damaging to the series because its a main Metroid title. Hyrule Warriors, on the other hand, is a spin off game completely unrelated to the main Zelda games. On top of that, we already know we are getting a "real" Zelda game this year

Irony is the Other M is probably more canon and mainline than the Prime trilogy.

khaaan

The action shot looks quite good compared to the reveal. Never played a Musou before so I'm mildly interested but with not much else going on with the Wii U that we know I'll probably end up grabbing it early on.

NeonZ

It contradicts SS placement, the creation of the world, and everything about Hylia.

We now have many Zeldas before the Zelda from the Adventure of Link backstory, which was supposed to be the first one. A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and even Minish Cap all were supposed to be "origin" games for the series, and yet we just keep getting earlier and earlier games.

The only reason this might end up not being canon is because it's a spin off, but nothing revealed story-wise about it so far is really that unexpected for an entry of the series.

Berg

I hope there is motion+ controls! Loved them in SS.
most likely, boring, dual analog will be used.

...and why do people think this game will be shitty? haven't seen one reason or explanation.

Irony is the Other M is probably more canon and mainline than the Prime trilogy.
It also retconned most of the past (and future) games though.

We now have many Zeldas before the Zelda from the Adventure of Link backstory, which was supposed to be the first one. A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and even Minish Cap all were supposed to be "origin" games for the series, and yet we just keep getting earlier and earlier games.

The only reason this might end up not being canon is because it's a spin off, but nothing revealed story-wise about it so far is really that unexpected for an entry of the series.
Yeah, this is what I'm saying. There aren't any contradictions, but even if there were it wouldn't be anything new haha

ironcreed

Banned
Is it just me or does Link look the most feminine he has ever looked in these screens? I like the way Link looks usually but he comes off super feminine to me in these shots

No, I think he just looks Elvish as usual. Only more detailed than we are used to seeing. It is quite a beautiful design for him overall.

oatmeal

Banned
Shame this wasn't set during the Imprisonment Wars...that would have been a great side-story. Don't use Link, use different soldier, brand it with Zelda and potentially spin off further later.

Just a generic "Link saves princess" isn't terribly appealing.

The Ocarina of Time manga wasn't in Hyrule Historia.
Both Mangas in question rigth now were literally written by the same person.

They wouldn't add a noncanon story to a book entirely about Zelda canon.

The book isn't based around Zelda canon. It has a lot to do with Zelda's canon, but it was released to celebrate the 25th anniversary, the inclusion of a detailed timeline and a ton of canon was intended as a gift towards the fans who spent 25 years piecing together both big and small connections in the timeline. The manga, just like the inclusion of the timeline, was included to please people who liked the mangas, it's not treated as canon or even implied to be canon as it directly contradict things, even things in SS, which is fitting considering almost all the mangas have huge contradictions with the games they're based on. I'll concede, that if they ignore most of SS story and the entirety of the beginning of the timeline, Hyrule Warriors could indeed be placed prior to SS.

Also, now that I'm getting into the Metroid franchise, it was kinda shitty how they basically didn't even mention it that year considering it was also Metroid's 25th.

Both Mangas in question rigth now were literally written by the same person.

The book isn't based around Zelda canon. It has a lot to do with Zelda's canon, but it was released to celebrate the 25th anniversary, the inclusion of a detailed timeline and a ton of canon was intended as a gift towards the fans who spent 25 years piecing together both big and small connections in the timeline. The manga, just like the inclusion of the timeline, was included to please people who liked the mangas, it's not treated as canon or even implied to be canon as it directly contradict things, even things in SS, which is fitting considering almost all the mangas have huge contradictions with the games they're based on. I'll concede, that if they ignore most of SS story and the entirety of the beginning of the timeline, Hyrule Warriors could indeed be placed prior to SS.

Also, now that I'm getting into the Metroid franchise, it was kinda shitty how they basically didn't even mention it that year considering it was also Metroid's 25th.
They're written by the same person, but that doesn't mean they're both non-canon. There's nothing to suggest that the SS manga isn't canon, rather, major parts of it are present in Hyrule Warriors. It makes sense to assume that Hyrule Warriors is before SS then. There's absolutely nothing about the SS that says anything in the manga couldn't be canon, unlike Volvagia.

Not sure if this has been translated yet, but here's my take on the stuff from Famitsu (not much new, but it clarifies the plot a little);

-Online article is only an excerpt of the magazine stuff.
-In the games' universe, Shia is a witch who was responsible for protecting the equilibrium of the Triforce. However, she has a crush on Link, a soldier in training, and grows jealous of his relationship with the Princess Zelda. Shia becomes overcome by wickedness and with her two minions, Valga & Wizro in tow, she throws Hyrule into a state of chaos.
-Also seems to confirm the chain mail is Link's solider-in-training gear.

CronoShot

He doesn't recognize Link because they're different Link's lol.

Even disregarding the fact that they look exactly the same (sans the red cape), Demise reacts with surprise when Link tries to fight him, saying he's unlike any human he's met.

And we know that Skyloft raises in Hyrule Warriors, and Link has the Master Sword. Just like the manga. What doesn't make sense about it?.

No we don't. Pure speculation at this point. Besides, there's a Princess Zelda in the game. If this is before SS, Zelda would still be Hylia. It wouldn't make any sense for there to be a Zelda.

Even disregarding the fact that they look exactly the same (sans the red cape), Demise reacts with surprise when Link tries to fight him, saying he's unlike any human he's met.

No we don't. Pure speculation at this point. Besides, there's a Princess Zelda in the game. If this is before SS, Zelda would still be Hylia. It wouldn't make any sense for there to be a Zelda.
There's a picture of it haha. It's in the game. And Zelda wouldn't have to be Hylia, that's speculation on your part. They could even say Zelda was named Zelda after the ancient princess (the one in this game).

MilkybKid

Neo Member
Huge SS spoilers, I didn't want to cover, sorry for those lurking, or who haven't played it.

The ancient civilization was said in the SS prologue to be guarded and watched over-by Hylia, which makes sense as the people would have seen a time of prosperity which would lead to technological advancement as seen in SS, there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a enemy to invade or attack "Hyrule" during a time of prosperity. Hyila is said to have been appointed by the Golden Goddesses, a short time after they created Hyrule, I don't think this game is going to take place in a void of nothingness. The only point in which this would make sense taking place prior to SS is during the battle with Demise, but that sets a precedent that the story won't exactly have Zelda in it as Hylia later became the first Zelda, and Hylia is the one leading that very fight against Demise.

None of this is to mention that SS specifically makes it a point to set-up characters like Demise, Impa, and yes Link, to establish origins. Demise is the parallel of Hyila, he is all that is evil and said to be the reason that the Chosen Hero and the current Zelda almost always face adversity. Link in SS, is directly hinted at and damn near described as being the very first hero. Now I know there's a quote in SS where Zelda says Hylia gave her chosen hero a sailcloth in the past and that's why the people of Skyloft hold that tradition, but you have to realize that the entirety of SS is based around the theoretical idea of a Causality Loop, aka everything that happens feeds into itself to allow everything to happen. Hylia is Zelda, but Zelda doesn't realize this at the beginning of SS. Hylia does choose Link to save the world and be part of her plan. Link is a hero. Zelda does give Link a sailcloth. There are a minuscule amount of people in the past to carry the knowledge of Link and Zelda's actions on through word-of-mouth. Thus when Zelda says Hylia gave her chosen hero a sailcloth, she's unknowingly referring to herself and Link at that very moment. Also Impa, doesn't seem to know Link (or anyone who looks like him) prior to SS, and she dies at the end of SS, so it basically has to be a different Impa.

Finally the cover of this Famitsu, shows Link holding the Master Sword, the thing SS's story is based around the creation of. Thus by elimination if this were to take place prior to SS, this would then have to take place between the point in which Link leaves the complete Master Sword in the past, and the events of SS. Not only does this throw a huge monkey wrench in Hylia's plans throughout SS, there's absolutely no evidence to support the game taking place there. (man I love SS's Story, it's so good, unlike whatever the hell ALBW was smoking)

Yes, it is possible to just cop-out and ignore any connection to any other Zelda game and just say it takes place here or there, but at that point why even establish that it takes place to SS, and not just have it be it's own thing?

All in all, I severely doubt this is canon, but even if it is Skyloft's inclusion doesn't imply it has to be before SS, as Skyloft is still floating at the end of SS, and presumably the rest of the timeline. Finally finally :)P), this is a crossover, that has already show to be pulling a lot of things from different Zelda games, it can still have it's own story but a doubt it will relate to the timeline or and other continuity in Zelda at all.

Not SS spoilers but covers the manga that comes with the Hyule Historia so avoid my post if you wanna read it yourself.

Your mostly right but I don't think the SS link is the first link, the manga has a link who was in chains at the start of it, is released then fights to save the land and is the one that raises skyloft into the .... well sky :p

This is the link that Hylia basically feels bad for, since he was treated like crap by the people and the gods in order to make him fit to wield the master sword (he also talks in the manga, hes a bit angry), but STILL fought for the land. She vowed to ensure his spirit will live on, and that next time she will be with him as a mortal as his spirit is born again to fight evil. He starts the manga in prison after being framed, possible ending of Hyrule warriors?

I guess i can't take pictures from the book but its at the back of the Hyrule Historia, but there is a statement in there that says "its a special short piece that concludes the very first Zelda tale", but this might be in reference to something else or to the manga series in japan.

AFAIK the manga was deemed cannon but I can't remember where the quotes are so if other people can confirm or deny that will be great.

The witch's anime girl cleavage is really bugging me.
:/
I know there have been Zelda characters with big boobs or barely covered ones before, but they're usually never this fan service-y looking.
I'm not comfortable with this kind of stuff in Zelda. Even if it's a spin-off.

Mr-Joker

Banned
...and why do people think this game will be shitty? haven't seen one reason or explanation.

Because people are silly, personally I am pretty hyped for the game and can't wait to play it.

Zelda is a successful well known franchise, whereas Metroid, eh not so much.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not sure if this has been translated yet, but here's my take on the stuff from Famitsu (not much new, but it clarifies the plot a little);

So it IS a love triangle, HAH! So either she was influenced to turn dark by someone, or she turned by herself and she's the main villain.

Also, Valga sounds very much like Volvagia and Wizro like Wizzrobe.

BM8

Neo Member
So is it safe to assume Team Ninja is working on character models and combat?

Could that be why this looks nicer than other DW games?

CSX

Unexpected playable characters? We all know what one of those will be :p

wiiu_zps7d0e02cd.jpg

Secret Ultimate Boss. Must beat him to unlock as playable character.

Village

No, other M was damaging to the Metriod brand because a very large important part of it was bad, the story. If that game had at least been all around decent nothing would have happened. Sakamoto's " story telling " is what " damaged" metriod. And I stress the word damage because to be quite honest I see a lot of people asking for more metriod. And to my earlier point, thing can easily be put into other genre's and not only be good take over the brand .

BM8

Neo Member
Assume bullshot and be pleasantly surprised if not is all I'll say.

Alright.

I always assumed bullshots are shots of gameplay that cant be technically done on said hardware.

The scans in the OP look easily possible on the Wii U, and have a character model polish you would see from Team Ninja.

I guess i dont know the history of this series, and their bullshots.

EulaCapra

It should be required that each playable character wear scarves. Link and Impa look so good in them. Impa in general is killing it with those accessories and blue/orange combo.

I better see some dramatic scarves or arm trains flowing like this preferably on Zelda... or a guy. Ganon-twirl!

TreIII

So it IS a love triangle, HAH! So either she was influenced to turn dark by someone, or she turned by herself and she's the main villain.

Even if she's the "main" hassling you through levels, I'd bet Ganon or someone else is still behind her. It sounds like "Daji -> Orochi" all over again.

CronoShot

There's a picture of it haha. It's in the game.

I'm saying it's speculation that it is in fact a picture of Skyloft.

And Zelda wouldn't have to be Hylia, that's speculation on your part. They could even say Zelda was named Zelda after the ancient princess (the one in this game).

True, but it would be a bit strange to have a "Princess Zelda" completely unrelated to all other Princess Zeldas.

Son Of D

Unexpected playable characters? We all know what one of those will be :p

Secret Ultimate Boss. Must pursue him to unlock as playable character.

There we go.

If there is a crossover character I do expect it to be Lu Bu. Have a stare down between Ganondorf and Lu Bu.

They're written by the same person, but that doesn't mean they're both non-canon. There's nothing to suggest that the SS manga isn't canon, rather, major parts of it are present in Hyrule Warriors. It makes sense to assume that Hyrule Warriors is before SS then. There's absolutely nothing about the SS that says anything in the manga couldn't be canon, unlike Volvagia.

What major parts exactly? A scarf and a shoulder gard? Cause I just flipped though it, and if anything it contradicts Hyrule Warriors. As a run-down here's some major points from the non-canon pre-SS Manga, followed by major points we know of in HW.

SS manga

-Link is mistakenly imprisoned.
-Link wears a torn red cape, gold shoulder guards, and a torn green tunic.
-Loftwings and Hylia are present.
-The land is called "The Land of Hylia".
-The people are in a war with Demise.
-The Dragons from SS are present.
-Link defeats Demise, and raises Skyloft using the Master Sword. This contradicts SS, as the prologue of the game states that Hylia rose Skyloft using the Goddess Sword and Goddess Harp.
-There is no Princess Zelda
-Link dies at the end.

HW

-Link is a solider-in-training.
-Link wears a intact blue scarf, a intact green tunic with chain-mail, and silver shoulder guards.
-There's a Princess Zelda.
-The land is called Hyrule.
-There's a witch named Shia, who apparently has a crush on Link.
-There has been no indication of Loftwings, SS Dragons, Demise, or Hylia.
-There is a very high likely-hood Link won't die at the end.

Can't decipher much new from the rest of the scans (will get + read the magazine hopefully on Friday), but Lanayru Gorge is one of the stages (not sure if that's been mentioned). Also, the two pictures in the right hand upper corner, the one including what might be Skyloft, are artwork, not screenshots.

Usobuko

Banned
The witch's anime girl cleavage is really bugging me.
:/
I know there have been Zelda characters with big boobs or barely covered ones before, but they're usually never this fan service-y looking.
I'm not comfortable with this kind of stuff in Zelda. Even if it's a spin-off.

I'm bothered by this association, you said as if it's a characteristics and not a stereotype.

ED Cantu

Ok I was kind of interested in this game but now I'm definitely hyped for it, mainly because of all the possible characters that could be playable.

But what's with all the discussion about the game being pre-SS in the timeline or being in alternate timelines? I mean, it may very well be set before SS but at this point those are only theories.

Besides some of those points hinting that the game could take place before SS can be explained differently.
The scarf is a musou thing it doesn't mean anything else really, some people want to make a relation between the scarf and the Link of the manga, but that Link wore a red cape not a blue scarf, and he didn't look anything like this game's link, if anything he resembled OoT Link with those long pointy ears and hair.

The artwork with the mass of land in the sky could be Skyloft yes, but we can't say if the land is going up or falling down, if it's falling then this game could be post-SS or maybe that land mass is not even Skyloft.

Lastly, the manga about Hyla and the Link before SS is not canon, none of the mangas made by Akira Himekawa have ever been considered canon, the fact that it was included with the Hyrule Historia book doesn't make it canon, otherwise it would have been referenced in the timeline section of the book since it deals with a very important part of Zelda's lore, but it wasn't, it was just a cool extra that they decided to add to the book.

I mean even the announcement of said manga in the Nintendo Dream magazine points it to not being canon
The January 2012 issue of Nintendo Dream magazine revealed yesterday that now Akira Himekawa, a duo of female manga artists, are working on a new manga adaptation of the popular game franchise The Legend of Zelda. The manga is loosely based on the newest game The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't take part of that story and make the game about it, but I think it's best if we wait for more information.

Top Bottom