• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends - Character Trailer #3: Toon Link

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wonder if they'll do a new retail version for Wii U to include these new DLC characters.

Legends looks like ass on 3DS but would love to have Linkle and Toon Link on Wii U where the game looks really nice.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Great music and character. The occasional dizziness/stagger has me a bit concerned. Will he be stronger to account for this?

I know they're focusing on the 3DS version, but I really hope they start talking about what will be carried over to the Wii U version soon. I currently have this game preordered for the Wii U content.

I have read somewhere that there would have been new info aside the link trailer this week

Yep, I believe they were teasing this last week. I'm guessing this is why the trailer came out on a weird day.

Fake edit: I went to find the news, found it on GoNintendo, followed the link to Perfectly Nintendo and saw that L~A was the author, thus completing the circle of Nintendo news.

Tingle

I'm glad they got Toon Link, but I kinda don't like that we will have 4 Links now (Link, T. Link, Y. Link, Linkle). It seems a tad excessive, especially when the original Link had costumes for OoT Link, Skyward Link, Twilight Princess Link, Fierce Deity Link, etc. and had 7 or 8 weapons available to him, when most other characters had 1. Even Ganondorf had 1 weapon, and Zelda, who has the second most, only had 3.

I get that Link is the main character of the series and all, but I would have liked them to either spread out Link's available weapons, or just add less Links in general in favor of spreading that content out to other characters.

Toon Link looks nice, but his moveset honestly seems similar to Link's, so unlike Linkle and Young Link, his uniqueness doesn't warrant adding yet another Link to me.

I'm glad they got Toon Link, but I kinda don't like that we will have 4 Links now (Link, T. Link, Y. Link, Linkle). It seems a tad excessive, especially when the original Link had costumes for OoT Link, Skyward Link, Twilight Princess Link, Fierce Deity Link, etc. and had 7 or 8 weapons available to him, when most other characters had 1. Even Ganondorf had 1 weapon, and Zelda, who has the second most, only had 3.

I get that Link is the main character of the series and all, but I would have liked them to either spread out Link's available weapons, or just add less Links in general in favor of spreading that content out to other characters.

Toon Link looks nice, but his moveset honestly seems similar to Link's, so unlike Linkle and Young Link, his uniqueness doesn't warrant adding yet another Link to me.

Too many Links!

L~A

so this game. is it a full port with all the wii u content + even more?

Not quite exactly a port, but that's close.

It has all the contents of the original + DLC right from the get go + new characters + new gameplay system (multi-character system, owl statues, etc.) + new The Wind Waker HD story content.

We know that this stuff is coming to Wii U, at first via a download code with the 3DS version. Will most likely end up as paid DLC down the line, but they haven't said anything about that yet (most likely won't until close to release / after launch).

I have read somewhere that there would have been new info aside the link trailer this week

Yup, that's what the Twitter account said. However, there's no Famitsu preview/leak, so that means either there's no new character (that's the only thing that leaks from Famitsu anyway), so Famitsu will have a couple additional details along with a "reveal" of Linkle.

Phoenixus

Not quite exactly a port, but that's close.

It has all the contents of the original + DLC right from the get go + new characters + new gameplay system (multi-character system, owl statues, etc.) + new The Wind Waker HD story content.

We know that this stuff is coming to Wii U, at first via a download code with the 3DS version. Will most likely end up as paid DLC down the line, but they haven't said anything about that yet (most likely won't until close to release / after launch).

Yup, that's what the Twitter account said. However, there's no Famitsu preview/leak, so that means either there's no new character (that's the only thing that leaks from Famitsu anyway), so Famitsu will have a couple additional details along with a "reveal" of Linkle.

Do we know for sure it'll be a download code? Should be loads hitting eBay if that's the case.

L~A

Do we know for sure it'll be a download code? Should be loads hitting eBay if that's the case.

Yup, it was confirmed a while ago. Even if it wasn't.... how would they do it? There's no Club Nintendo anymore, and MyNintendo won't be launched before March.

Well, I guess in EU/NA, they could do something via MyNintendo (since the game comes out on March 25th), but that'd be risky to do that with a service that might not be launched in time.

But in Japan, the game comes out on January 21st, so only way to have the offer is a DL code. You could have something via the eShop, but that's only for digital purchases, and there's no way retail copies won't have the offer.

So yeah, download code it is.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yup, it was confirmed a while ago. Even if it wasn't.... how would they do it? There's no Club Nintendo anymore, and MyNintendo won't be launched before March.

Well, I guess in EU/NA, they could do something via MyNintendo (since the game comes out on March 25th), but that'd be risky to do that with a service that might not be launched in time.

But in Japan, the game comes out on January 21st, so only way to have the offer is a DL code. You could have something via the eShop, but that's only for digital purchases, and there's no way retail copies won't have the offer.

So yeah, download code it is.

will the dd code unlock everything from the 3ds version into the wii u one?
so, not only the new characters, but also the WW stage/story?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I believe screens at some point showed at least one of the new stages in the Wii U version, but I'm not 100% certain. We've definitely seen screens of the characters in the Wii U version.

Thankfully, if you live outside of Japan, you should get this answer well before release due to the January Japanese release date.

NeonZ

so this game. is it a full port with all the wii u content + even more?

It apparently won't have the challenge mode, but that's it. The official site confirms that it has all the other content of the Wii U version, including DLC. We so far haven't seen any shots of the Adventure mode running on the 3ds either though (or even anything directly said about it).

Right now, only the characters are officially announced for the Wii U version. Famitsu (magazine) had screens of the new stages running on the Wii U. I just checked the online version of those articles in Famitsu's site, and the Wii U shots weren't there though. Still, there are magazine scans online.

L~A

Only thing "transferrable" is the new characters, not the new story, etc., it seems. (And message at the end of each trailer only mentions characters)

I just checked the Wii U screens of the new characters are all from HW maps, and none are from the new ones. So that means only the characters are coming to the Wii U version.

Only exception are the pre-rendered cutscenes, but that's most likely just KT going for better IQ rather than showing the cutscenes at 3D resolution.

Also, Twitter account confirms a new video is coming next week, didn't say for which character, though.

I'm gonna wait it out and see what comes as DLC to the Wii U one and maybe even a complete NX package down the road. I like the game but I it's not one I feel the need to double dip for on a weaker system.

Arizato

Only thing "transferrable" is the new characters, not the new story, etc., it seems.

I just checked the Wii U screens of the new characters are all from HW maps, and none are from the new ones. So that means only the characters are coming to the Wii U version.

Only exception are the pre-rendered cutscenes, but that's most likely just KT going for better IQ rather than showing the cutscenes at 3D resolution.

So this includes Linkle as well?

Arizato

So far, all characters announced* have been confirmed as "transferrable", so I doubt Linkle would be an exception.

* Toon Link, Tetra, King, Skull Kid

I really hope so. I want to buy Hyrule Warriors for my Wii U just for transferring Linkle. Playing HW on the 3DS seems like a huge step back, in my opinion.

Jackano

I really hope so. I want to buy Hyrule Warriors for my Wii U just for transferring Linkle. Playing HW on the 3DS seems like a huge step back, in my opinion.

Not quiet sure if you messed up your sentence, but if you meant buying it on 3DS to transfer Linkle, like many people said, you will better try to grab or buy a code on ebay, as many people will likely buy HW Legends while not owning a Wii U.

213372bu

Banned
Linkle has a bogus name and looks too young.

Best Link is TP Link

Toon Link is cool though, been eyes a shirt at NWC of him feeding pigeons at central park.

Edit: GAF acting weird and quoting isn't reducing image size.

sensui-tomo

No need to wait. The 3DS version will be EXTREMELY inferior to the Wii U version.

The only good KT games on a handheld are generally vita games, HW is the only good KT game considering the only other semi-passible one was Warriors orochi 3 hyper (which had less enemies on screen, worse framerate than the ps3/360 vanillia version) If anyone likes stable gameplay with enemies on screen, wii-u version is the way to go. 3ds version will play badly, you can look at the track record they've got.(if they took advantage of the N3ds that may have helped)

NotLiquid

The Link who best represents the emotive childlike wonder of adventure that I feel the Zelda series depicts so well

Toon Link is GOAT tbh fam

Doesn't exactly look like a top-tier character.

I do like Toon Link though, and if this does get ported to the Wii U then I'm curious to see what he'll look like on the power of the Wii U.

Top Bottom