• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC detailed - Link's Awakening, PH, Spirit Tracks, ALBW

This is so exciting! I was worried that the second season pass would be smaller, just with costumes or the like, but all the new characters and content... it's great! I'm so hyped for what is probably Marin, Linebeck, and Ravio. <3

Only downside is I bet with the new adventure maps they will bump up the 3DS' level cap to 255 again. Which will hurt for the same reasons it did on Wii U.

Platy

Not sure the title of the DLC packs are as representative of their content as you guys think... But then again I might just don't want to loose hope for Vaati since there is no Minish Cap dlc pack =P

Ryce

Not sure the title of the DLC packs are as representative of their content as you guys think... But then again I might just don't want to loose hope for Vaati since there is no Minish Cap dlc pack =P
The first season of DLC was very appropriately named; Twili Midna was included in the Twilight Princess pack, and Young Link and Tingle were included in the Majora's Mask pack. I doubt the new DLC packs are arbitrarily named.

Not very many weapons left in Link's Awakening that aren't already in Hyrule Warriors.

Roc's Feather and Magic Powder....that's about it. I guess I could see Linkle using either of those.

Ryce

Not very many weapons left in Link's Awakening that aren't already in Hyrule Warriors.

Roc's Feather and Magic Powder....that's about it. I guess I could see Linkle using either of those.
Considering her dual-wielding nature, I think the Thunder Drum is a sensible weapon for Linkle. The Eight Instruments of the Sirens are a big part of Link's Awakening. She'd use two drumsticks to hit the drum, which would summon bolts of lightning, electric traps, quick jolts, and so on.

Why wouldn't they be? Not to ruin your Vaati-related hopes/dreams, but the last DLC packs we got that were named after games (Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask) both were almost entirely based on those games, with the only exception being the OoT Impa costume in the MM pack.

By the way, if it hasn't been posted the US site is also updated with the new DLC. Clickies! The 3DS+Wii U season pass is a healthy $20.

Considering her dual-wielding nature, I think the Thunder Drum is a sensible weapon for Linkle. The Eight Instruments of the Sirens are a big part of Link's Awakening. She'd use two drumsticks to hit the drum, which would summon bolts of lightning, electric traps, quick jolts, and so on.
Didn't even think about the siren instruments. That would be pretty clever. I might also throw in a vote for the Flying Rooster.

Berordn

Wonder what the new Toon Link weapon would be? Never played ST or PH. Would a train themed weapon be too absurd?

The Spirit Pipes summoning the train doesn't seem too far fetched.

Phantom Armor also seems like it might be a possibility, with Zelda's Spirit as the "weapon."

Ryce

Wonder what the new Toon Link weapon would be? Never played ST or PH. Would a train themed weapon be too absurd?
After giving it more thought, I actually think Phantom Zelda makes more sense as a weapon than a standalone character.

X9vrAhC.png

Toon Link would stand behind the Phantom, pointing and gesturing to make it attack, like a Pokémon Trainer.

This would give the "Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks Pack" healthy representation from both games, with Linebeck from PH and Phantom Zelda from ST.

Illucio

Banned
So I take it the new characters will be

Link between worlds characters are:
Ravio (without a doubt)
Hilda (maaybe? She's already a costume...)
The fabulous villain who's name I can't recall.

Phantom of the Hour Glass + spirit tracks
Byrne (pleeeeaze be Byrne)
Lineback
Ghost Zelda/Phantom Armor Zelda (please no)
Or Chancellor Cole

Links awakening character:
- link's uncle...?
- bunny link
- .... I really don't know

Summer 2016: Link's Awakening (DLC Pack 2)

A new playable character
Gonna say this will be Marin

Autumn 2016: Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks Pack (DLC Pack 3)

A new playable character
and this will be Linebeck

Winter 2016: A Link Between Worlds Pack (DLC Pack 4)

Two new playable characters
and for LBW I'm gonna say Ravio and Irene.

I'm still irritated Medli got chosen over Makar. :'(

Illucio

Banned
Those are A Link to the Past characters....
Oh misread.

So then it's probably Marin or.. wind fish... LOL.

Edit:

and for LBW I'm gonna say Ravio and Irene.

I'm still irritated Medli got chosen over Makar. :'(

I COULD see Irene being used actually. Mostly because we got Agatha. But I do see the team wanting to have the power to change people into wall sculptures. We could be getting classic link ad a character with wall changing abilities XD.

And Meldi was picked over Makar because Lana already has a weapon set that would fight exactly like Makar would. (I like Makar better too...) that and the bird people were a far more prominent race in Wind Waker.

Lynx_7

I'd love to play this if the 3DS version didn't perform like horseshit on an OG 3DS, so there's no way I'm ever buying that. Even if it did perform well I wouldn't wanto to buy it anyway because it's still essentially the same game but in an inferior, more uncomfortable to play platform. Now, if they offered the characters and maps as DLC for the Wii U version, even if at a later date, I'd gladly buy it. Seems like a really stupid decision to just gimp the consumers of one of the versions like that without a good reason. Oh well, at least I won't run the risk of getting tired of the formula before HW 2.

This was a little confusing so here's my simple question:

Will I get to play as Linkle if I only own a WiiU and the original Hyrule Warriors? I have no interest in buying a 3DS and HW:Legends.

Will I get to play as Linkle if I only own a WiiU and the original Hyrule Warriors? I have no interest in buying a 3DS and HW:Legends.
Yep, the Legends Character Pack will give you the Hyrule Warriors: Legends characters (Tetra, Toon Link, Linkle, King Daphnes, Skull Kid, and Ganondorf with a Trident) for the Wii U without having to buy the Legends game.

Thores

Yeah! There's going to a be a DLC pack for HW Wii U that includes all the characters introduced in Legends.

Thores

I kind of hope that they cheat a little and give Linkle one of the animal companions from Ages/Seasons as a weapon. Nothing would make me slam my money down on the metaphorical counter faster than getting to play as a character riding around in a kangaroo's pouch.

Any of the instruments would be cool and are probably more likely. Her super move could be using all eight to summon the Wind Fish.

Thores

This is such bullshit. I can't believe the Wii U owners are being shafted like this.

Wii U owners can buy the bulk of Legends' content for cheaper than the cost of Legends itself, and they get that content for free if they buy the game. In what way do you consider that us being shafted?

Wii U owners can buy the bulk of Legends' content for cheaper than the cost of Legends itself, and they get that content for free if they buy the game. In what way do you consider that us being shafted?

Legends gets all these new maps and stories, which the Wii U doesn't. There's no point in playing as the new characters if you don't have new maps to play on. The game has been out for quite some time. Most of us have completely pretty much everything and are tired of playing on the same maps over and over again.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Legends gets all these new maps and stories, which the Wii U doesn't. There's no point in playing as the new characters if you don't have new maps to play on. The game has been out for quite some time. Most of us have completely pretty much everything and are tired of playing on the same maps over and over again.

Those new maps and stories are designed around mechanics that are not in the Wii U version.

Lynx_7

Yeah, this isn't a fighting game where a character has enough depth by itself to change the way you experience the game significantly. New characters in a game like this without new content to play is pretty much meaningless.

Maybe they're designed for the 3DD version and it wouldn't be as simple as people think to adapt them to the Wii U version? Then they'd have to work on two different versions which apparently doesn't work for them.

Yeah, this isn't a fighting game where a character has enough depth by itself to change the way you experience the game significantly. New characters in a game like this without new content to play is pretty much meaningless.

This. They could release a million new characters, but it doesn't make me want to play unless there are new maps and things to do with them.

ALSO -

I'm 100% certain they're just waiting till the NX goes public so they can announce a definitive version and make us buy it again.

I'm still salty we probably won't get these two.

tumblr_n81kz0uJgH1qhy451o1_1280.jpg

Honestly though I'm a bit greedy and wish they were limited to ONE weapon. A few of the weapons could have been given to other characters.

Ball & Chain (Gauntlets) could have been Onox

Deku Stick SHOULD have been for Saria

Epona could have been Malon

etc..

Great Fairy should have been her own character :c

Tingle

Patch them in.

The game literally isn't designed for a majority of the mechanics (faries, character switching), the rewards are distributed completely differently than in the 3DS version, and the maps aren't low quality, 3DS versions.

They probably have reason to believe its not worth redoing the entire game to get sales from a version which is over a year old. Them providing options for the new characters is already pretty generous. Particularly Medli, because they aren't getting a return on her.

Rafavert

etc..

Onox has enough tricks not to need the Ball & Chain that much. Besides, nothing stops two characters from using that, right?

As for Great Fairy... She pretty much is her own character. Link is just there, in a bottle, her cute little pet. She only lacks her own icon.

MAtgS

Best guess for LA character would be Richard, the frog prince.

Has a sword, frogs would be a part of his his moveset, & he originates from another game which Koei could pull ideas from.

Honestly though I'm a bit greedy and wish they were limited to ONE weapon. A few of the weapons could have been given to other characters.

etc..

They basically got replaced by Volga & Cia. That HW had completely new characters at all was always iffy to me.

Malon would more likely use the generic practice horse at her ranch. She knows Epona already has a favorite rider.

They basically got replaced by Volga & Cia. That HW had completely new characters at all was always iffy to me.

Me too. Not a fan of the new characters in HW, especially since they seem to upstage the Zelda characters in the story. Wizzro is the only one moderately acceptable... but why not just add the two letters and make him Wizzrobe, since he's one anyway... Him using Wizzrobe, Poe and Wall Master attacks could have made for a fine actual Zelda character based off of various enemies. Which he sort of is, but they went with a unique character instead of just going all the way full Zelda enemy.

At least the game ends with papa Ganondorf ripping apart fools and didn't end with Cia drama nonsense.

MAtgS

Me too. Not a fan of the new characters in HW, especially since they seem to upstage the Zelda characters in the story. Wizzro is the only one moderately acceptable... but why not just add the two letters and make him Wizzrobe, since he's one anyway...

At least the game ends with papa Ganondorf ripping apart fools and didn't end with Cia drama nonsense.

You're not gonna be too happy playing the WW chapter...

Tingle

Me too. Not a fan of the new characters in HW, especially since they seem to upstage the Zelda characters in the story.

Legends ends with Cia nonsense, unfortunately.

I really didn't like the made-up characters either. The only one with a fun moveset to me was Volga, and all of them just felt unnecessary. Especially Linkle when we have Link with ~8(?) weapons, Young Link, and Toon Link with two weapons.

And none of the OC characters meshed very well visually in my opinion. Especially Lana, but even the others.

And none of the OC characters meshed very well visually in my opinion. Especially Lana, but even the others.

I don't even think the new designs for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf even mesh well with characters like Darunia or Midna who are basically ripped right from their games. Impa seems alright, but she lacks a consistent design in games (or even a consistent age), so it works. Her sword is ridiculous though.

I always just use the Twilight costumes for everyone, since they seem to match the cast a lot better.

MAtgS

Maybe Whizzro took the spot of the lost 3rd Oracle villain. How crazy would that have been, revealing aspects of the canceled Oracle entry in HW?

javadoze

My predictions for the DLC characters would probably be:

Link's Awakening: Marin (would probably attack summoning the various instuments)

Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks: Either Linebeck or GONZO/ALFONZO
(leave it to me)

Link Between Worlds: A bunch of characters to pull from. Yuga has a unique gimmick with painting and whatnot, but Hilda and Ravio could very easily be viable choices too. Especially Ravio.

etc..

Best guess for LA character would be Richard, the frog prince.

Has a sword, frogs would be a part of his his moveset, & he originates from another game which Koei could pull ideas from.

Stop... You're breaking my heart at what could've been...

I love Volga though. I loved that they made him the human version of Volvagia.

Wizzro's background should have been tied to the guy who hits on Link (the poe ghost guy).

I wish Lana was tied to Nayru in some way. Then Cia could have been redesigned to tie in with Din.

or something.

But I love Lana as an original character so its okay.

Ryce

I can't stand the original characters either. I never use them. This game appeals to me because of the Zelda license. I felt the same way about Ruby Heart and the other Darkstalkers rejects in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

They should have just added the "be" to the end of Wizzro's name and just went with that he was the representation for all of the magic and undead monsters in Zelda. Because his moveset basically is already mixing Poe, Wallmasters, etc. Even his design is basically mixing a Wizzrobe + Poe. His sprite is a Wizzrobe, and some of his alts reference Poes (like his TP costume).

I would have liked it better, even if nothing else about him changed.

...except gaining a toucan mask as a DLC costume.

PSqueak

Banned
I can't stand the original characters either. I never use them. This game appeals to me because of the Zelda license. I felt the same way about Ruby Heart and the other Darkstalkers rejects in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

So just Amingo?

Given that Son Son was the modernization of an old capcom character.

Dreavus

Wow, that's crazy that it's coming to the Wii U version as well. Talk about breathing new life into the game. We're going to cross the game's 2 year anniversary this September and new stuff will still be coming out for it.

I'm not sure if I'll pick it up yet just because there is lots I haven't touched from the first season's pass. If the price is right I might go for it just to mess around with the new characters.

They should have just added the "be" to the end of Wizzro's name and just went with that he was the representation for all of the magic and undead monsters in Zelda. Because his moveset basically is already mixing Poe, Wallmasters, etc. Even his design is basically mixing a Wizzrobe + Poe. His sprite is a Wizzrobe, and some of his alts reference Poes (like his TP costume).

I would have liked it better, even if nothing else about him changed.

...except gaining a toucan mask as a DLC costume.

Honestly I didn't catch the name and thought that's what he was. It already fits perfectly, they use the Wizzrobe sprite for him in adventure mode, and he has alt colours that match the old pale blue like you mentioned. I thought he was a pretty great "original" take on an old character/enemy.

Volga is good too. I like the dragon references on his helmet and his past is pretty deliberately obscured. I think he's another good fit for an original character.

Only ones that I wasn't a huge fan of was Cia and Lana. They look like they're basically from a different game/universe (which kind of makes sense I guess). Lana has some fun representation of the series in her weapons, but Cia is just a stock "villain" character with nothing particularly unique about her.

Top Bottom