• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors : official website opens, new screenshots/artworks

What I'm hoping for:
Ninja Gaiden level of depth with Dynasty Warriors level of variety and modes with a Zelda motif. If it matches that then:
PUwXKHr.jpg

Lunar15

“The Legend of Zelda has a history of 27 years, and the way it is played has already been well-established. So at first, we went in the direction of wanting to make something that could follow the way The Legend of Zelda is played. However, that is something you could experience by playing any game of The Legend of Zelda series, and even if we could imitate the surface of it, it’s not something we could actually make. In the end, we realized that it would be best to make a Warriors title that has elements from The Legend of Zelda series.

We realized that we're really good at pumping out Warriors games with licensed skins, so we just did that.

KHlover

Banned
Nice cut. By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a white dot in your avatar. I use the dark theme so it tickles my OCD a bit.

I personally use White theme so I didn't notice it yet. Now that you point it out though, yeah it's pretty jarring in Dark Theme. I'll fix it :D edit:seems to be fixed now

I am interested in link avatars as well.

Getting tired of this mons avatar.

Edit - Uber late. :(((
Don't worry, I'll continue some time tomorrow and PM you an avatar :D

BM8

Neo Member
Im sure most of you read this already, but I thought this part of the interview to be exciting...

Koinuma on how this is the first time that Team Ninja and Omega Force have worked together on the development of a game… “When it comes to getting a good feeling out of beating down enemies, Omega Force, who develop the Dynasty Warriors games, would surely have an edge in that department. However, as far as one-to-one combat goes, I felt that that Team Ninja, who worked on the Dead or Alive series, could also come up with something good. So, we just decided ‘let’s just mix them together!’”

So, as a whole, this isnt your typical Dynasty Warriors game.

One more translation from the Introduction page;

Introduction
A Great Warrior In The Zelda Universe!

Experience a new 'battle action game', born from a collaboration between Nintendo's puzzle-solving adventure game series 'The Legend of Zelda' and Tecmo Koei's 'Musou' series.
Starting with Link, players will be able to experience the game as numerous Zelda series characters set on familiar series locations.

Link Makes Light Work Of Problems!
Enjoy action not seen in most Zelda series' games as Link takes down large groups of enemies in Musou series' tradition as a 'Great Warrior'.
Of course, the game play retain's the Musou series' trademark simplicity and intuitiveness of its controls so anyone can enjoy taking down enemies as Link.

Play As Many Characters
Various characters from the Zelda series will be playable! Find your favourite and use them to fight the hordes!
Many characters and weapons from the Zelda franchise will appear as playable. You have control over the attacks, which have been beautiful and refreshingly presented using Wii U's graphics.

Combing The Best Parts of Zelda & Musou
We have used Zelda series systems like hearts for health and magic gauge, coupled with the playstyle of using items to take down bosses, and arranged them in a 'musou' context along with the music and sound effects that are tradition in the series.
It's a new world born from a combination of the the Zelda and the Musou molds.

Story
The Triforce, composed of sacred symbols of Courage, Wisdom, and Power, will grant the wish of all who touch it. Many battles between good and evil have been fought for it through the ages.
When Hyrule was in danger of falling into the hands of evil, a hero wearing a green tunic appeared to strike down the ambitions of the evil powers. To ensure the evil would never return, he broke the evil's spirit into four pieces, sending three pieces off into the depths of space-time, and sealed the fourth piece at the entrance to the Temple with the Master Sword.
For generations since then, at the edge of Hyrule, a sorceress has watched the equilibrium between the Triforces three aspects; Courage, Wisdom, Power, using a crystal, looking for any sign of a disturbance, but...

Once again, please point out any mistakes/strange word choices.

Lunar15

It's neat that they're doing more than just a standard Dynasty Warriors fare, but remember the last time everyone got excited for a Team Ninja/Nintendo collab?

wildfire

Banned
I think this is safe
Pcvvqdm.png

9S6tvWz.png

Stupid purple feathers on a purple background >.<

Meh. While I actually like the character design now that I realize she seems to be the avatar for a previous villain shrinking her image into an avatar makes it too hard to see her awesome mask. The breasts are really the only prominent feature at this scale :|

It's neat that they're doing more than just a standard Dynasty Warriors fare, but remember the last time everyone got excited for a Team Ninja/Nintendo collab?

Don't remind us. We need to believe their partners won't fuck up this time.

Riki

One more translation from the Introduction page;

Once again, please point out any mistakes/strange word choices.

Play As Many Characters
Various characters from the Zelda series will be playable! Find your favourite and use them to fight the hordes!
Many characters and weapons from the Zelda franchise will appear as playable. You have control over the attacks, which have been beautiful and refreshingly presented using Wii U's graphics.

Yes.

Combing The Best Parts of Zelda & Musou
We have used Zelda series systems like hearts for health and magic gauge, coupled with the playstyle of using items to take down bosses, and arranged them in a 'musou' context along with the music and sound effects that are tradition in the series.
It's a new world born from a combination of the the Zelda and the Musou molds.

Oh yes.

\Well, this is a Omega Force/TeamNinja/Nintendo collab.

Besides, the major problems from Other M were because of Sakamoto, not Team Ninja, who actually made it fun to play.

Muzy72

Banned
Aonuma says Hyrule Warriors is part of his plan to have Zelda titles break traditions

He must be talking about the tradition of being good games.

Big One

Banned
Only thing people should be expecting from this: Stupid fun. That's the best way I'll describe the Musou games. They're all pretty much the same gameplay experience and do get repetitive with time, but there's a sense of fun just going around and killing hordes of enemies over and over again. I'm not expecting no less or no more than that.

The Zelda stuff is just a gimmick kind of like how One Piece: Pirate Warriors had those adventure-game style gimmicks. IT was still a Musou game, and this will be too.

The only element that might alter this is Team Ninja's involvement. We'll see what comes out of that, though.

wildfire

Banned
Aonuma says Hyrule Warriors is part of his plan to have Zelda titles break traditions

He must be talking about the tradition of being good games....

....That couldn't sell on a dying platform.

I doubt the game will be that good but it's clear that this is getting the attention of more than the usual suspects.

Lunar15

Yes.

Oh yes.

\Well, this is a Omega Force/TeamNinja/Nintendo collab.

Besides, the major problems from Other M were because of Sakamoto, not Team Ninja, who actually made it fun to play.

This is arguable. Especially considering the fact that Sakamoto personally oversaw two excellent metroids with great gameplay, and then we got what amounted to bargain bin Metroid with Other M.

I'll give Tecmo the benefit of the doubt in that at least now they're doing gameplay they're used to (warriors, in this case) rather than trying to do something Nintendo's already done with much better developers.

Lead director on One Piece: Pirate Warriors fills me with dread though.

Mesoian

Lunar15

Word, that game was NOT GOOD.

I think PW is actualy what makes me worried more than anything. I really had no problem with Warriors until PW came out, and I naively thought "Oh, I love One Piece, so I'll love Pirate Warriors because it's stupid fun with characters I love!"

Boy was I fucking wrong.

This is arguable. Especially considering the fact that Sakamoto personally oversaw two excellent metroids with great gameplay, and then we got what amounted to bargain bin Metroid with Other M.
Sakamoto was the one who insisted on wiimote-only controls for a 3D game when Team Ninja wanted the numchuck. And he wrote the damn plot. The end result has his stamp of approval, and apparently he didn't take the negative reception well.

It's not the first time a great creator has seriously fucked up in this industry.

Lead director on One Piece: Pirate Warriors fills me with dread though.

Oh crap the director of the first One Piece?
iblWquLobWYDj.gif

=( I feel conflicted.
I think PW is actualy what makes me worried more than anything. I really had no problem with Warriors until PW came out, and I naively thought "Oh, I love One Piece, so I'll love Pirate Warriors because it's stupid fun with characters I love!"

Boy was I fucking wrong.
Have you played 2? Much better.

Story
The Triforce, composed of composed of sacred symbols of Courage, Wisdom, and Power, will grant the wish of all who touch it. Many battles between good and evil have been fought for it through the ages.
When Hyrule was in danger of falling into the hands of evil, a hero wearing a green tunic appeared to strike down the ambitions of the evil powers. To ensure the evil would never return, he broke the evil's spirit into four pieces, sending three pieces off into the depths of space-time, and sealed the fourth piece at the entrance to the Temple with the Master Sword.
For generations since then, at the edge of Hyrule, a sorceress has watched the equilibrium between the Triforces three aspects; Courage, Wisdom, Power, using a crystal, looking for any sign of a disturbance, but...

So, this means it's not a Skyward Sword prequel, right?

Sounds as non-canon as you can get.

How many playable characters does your typical musou game have? It's probably safe to assume that all five shown so far will be playable, but I hope there are more...

Lunar15

Have you played 2? Much better.

Weirdly, I disliked 2 even more. I get the fact that it was a better warriors game, but they went with that weird, dumb as bricks plot, and the game just bored me to tears. At least 1 let me reenact the scene where Luffy punches Crocodile, so in some weird way, it was worth it.

I realized I just wasn't much of a Warriors guy.

We'd all like to think Tecmo Koei will take as much care with our beloved franchises as their creators do, but man that's just not the case.

Weirdly, I disliked 2 even more. I get the fact that it was a better warriors game, but they went with that weird, dumb as bricks plot, and the game just bored me to tears. At least 1 let me reenact the scene where Luffy punches Crocodile, so in some weird way, it was worth it.

I realized I just wasn't much of a Warriors guy.

We'd all like to think Tecmo Koei will take as much care with our beloved franchises as their creators do, but man that's just not the case.
I got royally pissed at the terrible ending they made with Luffy vs Akainu >___< terrrrinble

Ah don't blame you on the plot of 2, it really was terrible, and the pacing of battle was quite crap. I know I'll like this game but I know I'll be severely disappointed if it has the similar (QTE) platforming gameplay from the first Pirate Warriors =/

Not

Banned
So, this means it's not a Skyward Sword prequel, right?

Sounds as non-canon as you can get.

To be fair, the standalone plot of all Zelda games would sound non-canon without some twisty alternate universe shit (which as we all know, is canon)

EDIT:

Now I know why Valga feels familiar. His pose and armor looks like he came straight out of a yu-gi-oh card.

(I think there's one with an even greater similarity, I just can't remember it).

FlameSwordsman-TF04-JP-VG.jpg

?

Well Shia is obviously Team Ninja, that's for sure.

The GoNintendo comments make me sad.

I learned looooooooong ago to just stop looking at them.

What, you didn't like the Arlong/Crocodile/Perona Alliance? :p

To be fair, the standalone plot of all Zelda games would sound non-canon without some twisty alternate universe shit (which as we all know, is canon)

I suppose. To be more fair, the "ancient kingdom" stuff in SS was vague as shit so I guess they can squeeze something like this in without much trouble. The way they're namedropping Link and Zelda has me convinced otherwise, though.

Kinsei

Banned
WTF still no pic of Zelda herself??? What is this bloody blasphemy!

We'll have to wait until E3 to see her. I hope she still has her design from the reveal trailer, it seems Impa does, so I think that she will as well.

I'm more interested in them officially revealing Nayru than Zelda.

Lunar15

I got royally pissed at the terrible ending they made with Luffy vs Akainu >___< terrrrinble

Ah don't blame you on the plot of 2, it really was terrible, and the pacing of battle was quite crap. I know I'll like this game but I know I'll be severely disappointed if it has the similar (QTE) platforming gameplay from the first Pirate Warriors =/

Well, nothing we've seen implies that. However, they did mention that there are bosses and that you have to use items to defeat bosses. That kind of "warriors-defying" gameplay is what makes me worried. Omega Force is great when they stick to what they know. When they try to do new things, they just kinda fuck it up.

Also, I could be making it up, but I feel like they purposely screw up the first game in a series to fix it in the second and guarantee that people buy the sequel.

I'm very conflicted by Aonuma talking about Zelda traditions in Zelda U, and this at the same time. I'm still sour about ALBW, please don't push that infectious envelope any further.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So it's more Zelda + Dynasty Warriors with a touch of Ninja Gaiden.

I'm okay with that!

And I agree, still no screens of Zelda, what the hell!?

Top Bottom