• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: over 1m units shipped WW

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
It's a neat game, glad its found success. I never bought into the grind aspect of it but it was certainly a fun distraction for a while. Hope this paves the way for more!

Arkanius

I wasn't considering buying Hyrule Warriors
Welp, I guess I should try, I was never a fan of Dynasty Warriors like games. (tbh the only game I had experience with was Ninety Nine Nights)

Ansatz

Fantastic news, I want a sequel that fleshes out the Zelda universe and includes fan service from handheld entries, also eventually Zelda U stuff! Now the core game is done and they can just build upon it with more content.

Ace, one of the games that turned my opinions on owning a WiiU around, although I've still not managed to find it for a decent price to actually own a copy, sadly.

Really hope we get a sequel of some sort now.

fedexpeon

Banned
Can't wait for a sequel.
But from the sales, it just looks that the Warriors fanbase has a really consistent buying habit.

All I know from this is that KT needs to give the Warriors series to Team Ninja since they know how to develop better fighting style and over the top finishers.
Or they can keep the Omega+TN from Hyrule and let them do the main series because Dynasty and Samurai are getting boring under Omega.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Very good, they really put some effort into this game and it is so fun to play. And they did very well also the DLC part. I'm looking forward for HW 2. This was the pleasant surprise of 2014 for me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How many wii u titles reached one million shipped so far? I think 6. That's crazy for an install base so small. Makes it extremely clear that it's a niche console, but it's audience have pretty deep pockets.
Not deep enough sadly, as Rayman Legends, ZombiU (though I personally don't care for that one), Sonic Lost World, TW101 and Bayonetta 2 show.

This is great news for Nintendo. Proves that they can have decent sales with their partnerships with 3rd parties.

Too bad TW101 and Bayonetta2 underperformed.

I think this is the way Nintendo needs to follow to solve their lack of 3rd party.
And devaluing their brands in the process? It's fine to have some special crossover games like SMT x FE or Hyrule Warriors, but if the majority of their 3rd party support was completely Mario / Zelda / Metroid coated, it could very well end up toxic. Some small gimmicks like a Mario costume are fine, but making third party games basically full-on spin-offs should definitely not become the norm.

How many wii u titles reached one million shipped so far? I think 6. That's crazy for an install base so small. Makes it extremely clear that it's a niche console, but it's audience have pretty deep pockets.

The confirmed million+ sellers - including bundled software - are (unless I'm mistaken):

1. NSMBU
  2. NSLU (Kinda iffy, but Nintendo counts it on their site)
  3. Nintendo Land
  4. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
  5. Mario Kart 8
  6. Super Mario 3D World
  7. Wii Party U
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  9. Hyrule Warriors

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can't wait for a sequel.
But from the sales, it just looks that the Warriors fanbase has a really consistent buying habit.

I don't know about that, as the previous Warriors games on Wii U didn't do too well. I kind of doubt the Warriors fanbase is present in big numbers on Wii U, at list outside Japan.

Nice, this makes me happy.
Hopefully this means that another Nintendo Musou game is going to be developed soon.

What about a Nintendo All-Stars Musou? O_O

Not deep enough sadly, as Rayman Legends, ZombiU (though I personally don't care for that one), Sonic Lost World, TW101 and Bayonetta 2 show.

And devaluing their brands in the process? It's fine to have some special crossover games like SMT x FE or Hyrule Warriors, but if the majority of their 3rd party support was completely Mario / Zelda / Metroid coated, it could very well end up toxic. Some small gimmicks like a Mario costume are fine, but making third party games basically full-on spin-offs should definitely not become the norm.

This is not what I meant.
I'm also not a big fan for milking out their franchises, in several spinoffs.

TW101 and Bayonetta are unique games. While they may have some references (costumes, easter eggs,...) to Nintendo, they are not spin-offs.

Jackano

The confirmed million+ sellers - including bundled software - are (unless I'm mistaken):

1. NSMBU
  3. Nintendo Land
  5. Mario Kart 8
  6. Super Mario 3D World
  7. Wii Party U
  9. Hyrule Warriors

Luigi U is cheating for sure, but I cna understand why they include it in the list (they released a boxed version). However counting the DLC-only sales into it (which surely is the case) is cheating (as it is less pricey, and requires NSMBU).

jonno394

Well deserved, hopefully some non-Zelda fans picked it up and are now looking forward to The Legend of Zelda (Wii U).

mclem

Well deserved. Such a great game.

wallpaper04.jpg

Why on Earth is Cia not in the picture?

jimi_dini

I'd like to know, has this game been advertised anywhere? Never seen an advertisement.

Nintendo Direct + Nintendo Treehouse :p

I actually like that Nintendo doesn't waste tons of money on advertisment. Because that's actually money that could have gone into the game itself.

I'd like to know, has this game been advertised anywhere? Never seen an advertisement.

Used to get a lot of commercials on Adult Swim and Comedy Central two weeks leading up to its release and a good month and a half afterword to which it was replaced by Bayo 2 commercials. The two hours of American Dad/Family Guy back to backs would get atleast 5-6 Hyrule Warrior commercials in that span.

Edit: Heres the commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP13yNEfDGE

mclem

Because it's a group shot of the playable characters (pre-dlc)

Ah, that makes sense. I'd taken it as not being the case because Ghirahim and Zant were there, but of course they were playable from the outset; it was Wizzro and Volga who weren't (along with Cia)

Nintendo Direct + Nintendo Treehouse :p

I actually like that Nintendo doesn't waste tons of money on advertisment. Because that's actually money that could have gone into the game itself.

Probably this was a good way to reach out to Nintendo fans who might not have bought the game even with Zelda theme.

well deserved.
it's, by far, the best Musou game I've played so far.
it's also packed with content and the DLC seems to be of great value too.
I just love Link's OoT outfit

a Mario/DK Warriors would be tits

ps: I want Tingel, that amazingly goofy Skyward Sword shopkeeper and the fortune teller as HW dlc characters.
096wKb5.gif

XhufhPq.gif

I'm constantly amazed of Nintendo's creativity(creepiness?) when it comes to characters

jimi_dini

Probably this was a good way to reach out to Nintendo fans who might not have bought the game even with Zelda theme.

To be honest I actually only bought it after I saw actual gameplay during Treehouse. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I would have assumed that it's crap.

I thought "what the heck, this looks like fun" and "oh well, amazon france still has LEs, so why not". And now I'm 300hours+ in.

Regular ad would have done shit.

Wario Musou on the other hand could get really wacky and awesome though.

Two words:

Pokemon Musou

LesPaul

Will pick this up eventually.....first some Bayonetta as well as Smash and Mario Kart and then Hyrule Warriors.

E-phonk

Banned
I love crow eating threads haha

It's a nice one indeed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=112383655

A lot of people did think it was possible though, and the more reasonable ones said "not at launch, but given enough time it'll reach one million eventually", which seem to be the most correct response.

It also shows how far the game has come since it was first shown. People thought it'd be a cheap hack, while the end result seems to be a game that got quite some respect, overall good reviews and tons of fan service. A lot of people also seem to like the particular models used for the characters, more than mainline entries.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
hope for a sequel, or a fire emblem one. not exited by the mario musou, but keen to change my mind

Exile20

1. NSMBU
  3. Nintendo Land
  5. Mario Kart 8
  6. Super Mario 3D World
  7. Wii Party U
  9. Hyrule Warriors
Wii party u? Really? Interesting....

That's great! This game deserves it for sure, and nice to see it join the exclusive club shared by such top dogs as MK8, NSMBU, SSBU and SM3DW.

As for the posters talking about Bayo 2, it might actually have had good eshop sales due to its small shipment numbers initially. I have seen it at #1 on the eshop charts numerous times.

JNA

Banned
It's amazing how there are like 8 Dynasty Warriors games and not one of them could not scratch half of those sales (correct me if I'm wrong I'm actually not 100% on that), yet all they have to do is change the name, character skins, etc. And BOOM! Sales.

It's like how Metal Gear Rising is Platinum's highest selling game ever.

Not that I'm complaining though. Good game, but just sort of funny to see how just the name alone triumphs over the product itself.

Mario Musou looks to be a real possibility now.
Ugh really zero point for a Mario game like this.
Mario and friends are overused as is, Zelda worked because besides Link & Zelda(who themselves only get to appear in the rare Smash releases outside main Zelda games) every character in that game was a side character who were in 1 game then never to appear again.

Vaddon

Awesome news, hope this leads to a stronger partnership/eventual sequel. Maybe even Musou entries with other Nintendo IP's.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not that I'm complaining though. Good game, but just sort of funny to see how just the name alone triumphs over the product itself.

It's not the name (which doesn't even include Zelda in the West), the characters are the main attraction for this. That's what makes it fun, as they put a lot of work into Zelda characters and weapons and they are really fun to play, at list most of them.

Edit: and this is what kept me from playing normal DW games, as the characters although vaguely historical just don't make me want to play them.

WillyFive

I think Fire Emblem would have been the ideal IP for a game like this over Zelda, but it probably wouldn't have sold as much.

Top Bottom