• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: over 1m units shipped WW

RiggyRob

Fully deserved, but I kinda hope they hold off from Hyrule Warriors 2 - the DLC is fucking packed and I think one Musou game per IP is ideal anyway.

Fire Emblem Warriors pls

JNA

Banned
It's not the name (which doesn't even include Zelda in the West), the characters are the main attraction for this. That's what makes it fun, as they put a lot of work into Zelda characters and weapons and they are really fun to play, at list most of them.

Well we all see the characters (Zelda and Link, etc).

Although yeah you're right. The characters in previous Dynasty Warriors never grabbed me at all so I can understand the bigger love for here.

Nightbird

I think Fire Emblem would have been the ideal IP for a game like this over Zelda, but it probably wouldn't have sold as much.

Not really. The Problem is it works too well. You only need to change the Character-Looks and boom, it's done.
If they would add the whole SRPG-Playstyle to it, that would be another thing...

Way to go TK and Nintendo!

Man, the Musou games are a fucking national treasure of gaming, despite the shit they get. I remember getting DW4 when I was in middle school...man I spent a couple of hundred hours on it, playing all the characters and leveling them up and doing the campaigns. It got me into the Three Kingdoms.

People need to give it a try, it really isn't a bad series.

Phoenixus

Glad to hear it. I liked the dynasty Warriors formula except for the boring history setting. Combining it with Zelda made for one of my favourite games ever. :D

Now please make a Bleach Musou game Koei!

ZhugeEX

Banned
Awesome news. I knew it was coming but didn't think it'd be this soon.

Europe & ROW are doing well for this game as well it looks like.

E-phonk

Banned
As for the posters talking about Bayo 2, it might actually have had good eshop sales due to its small shipment numbers initially. I have seen it at #1 on the eshop charts numerous times.

Afaik it should be at +250k in total (at least +100k US +60k france (*) +60k japan(**) + rest of europe/world - but feel free to correct if anyone has more concrete numbers), but how much will be everyone's guess until we get numbers from somewhere.

(*) http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...ntendo-est-loin-d-etre-morte-et-enterree.html - 60k at beginning of december
(**) In japan we know it wasn't in the famitsu top 100 of 2014, and the lowest entry had 81k.

RalchAC

Way to go TK and Nintendo!

Man, the Musou games are a fucking national treasure of gaming, despite the shit they get. I remember getting DW4 when I was in middle school...man I spent a couple of hundred hours on it, playing all the characters and leveling them up and doing the campaigns. It got me into the Three Kingdoms.

People need to give it a try, it really isn't a bad series.

Yep. They're much better than what they seem from the outside.

I remember playing some PS2 Dynasty Warriors game with a friend when I was in middle school, and it was fun, but I never got into the series.

Then DW Next was given for free on PS+, I tried and I found the series to be awesome.

It's not super-deep when it comes to combo sets and all that, but it doesn't need to. They key mechanics are really fun and the playing co-op is great. And now that there are many "Warriors" spin-offs it's even better. I understand that some people may get tired of the classic Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, but if you get tired of them you can always get a collab or something.

Overall TK is a great publisher IMO. They deserve every sale they can get. Can't wait to play Toukiden Kiwami and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 :D

And some people thought it wasn't going to make it after the initial Japanese numbers. The West will always step in to save Zelda.

I still need to buy this game. Waiting for another sale though.

big_z

Afaik it should be at +250k in total (at least +100k US +60k france (*) +60k japan(**) + rest of europe/world - but feel free to correct if anyone has more concrete numbers), but how much will be everyone's guess until we get numbers from somewhere.

(*) http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...ntendo-est-loin-d-etre-morte-et-enterree.html - 60k at beginning of december
(**) In japan we know it wasn't in the famitsu top 100 of 2014, and the lowest entry had 81k.

I thought it was under 40k in the US or that's what people were saying in a recent sales thread.

Really happy about this, hope it gets to 1 million sold soon!
I now eagerly await the sequel, I just hope it doesn't come too soon. A launch title for the next handheld would be good.

Kandinsky

Since people are asking (sold):

DW7 = 1 million +
DW8 = 0.7 million +

DW mainline games also get a tonne of smaller expansions released to boost sales. If I'm reading the table correctly, the DW7 expansions (3 of them) sold near 400k in Japan alone.

One Piece Pirate Warriors sold 1.2 million WW.

They also get huge price drops really fast lol

E-phonk

Banned
That was launch month sales I believe. The recent sales thread has B2 sales closer to 130K.

Edit: Or maybe my memory is wrong about launch month.

In that case anywhere between a minimum of 250k (130+60+60 - without rest of europe/world) and 350k seems like a safe bet.

Golnei

I wonder if we had a Bayonetta with a Nintendo franchise skin before Bayo 2 it would have sold better.

Well, they did try.

tumblr_n6yu5kgw381s8ouhxo7_400.gif

But I doubt any amount of Nintendo fanservice could make Bayonetta or its gameplay appealing.

I thought it was under 40k in the US or that's what people were saying in a recent sales thread.

No it's not- it's 135k in recent NPD.

135 + 60(france) + 60(japan) + rest of europe + other territories + eshop in rest of territories.

255k + more from other territories. Bayo's actually doing pretty well :)

DizzyCrow

Well, they did try.

tumblr_n6yu5kgw381s8ouhxo7_400.gif

But I doubt any amount of Nintendo fanservice could make Bayonetta or its gameplay appealing.
Actually I meant a Zeldanetta for example, so more people would have bought it and if it could make people interested in Bayo 2.

Zarovitch

All the support with dlc and patch must help.
We keep reading about the game months after months.

I'm waiting the next addon to continue it.

Joei

Good for them. It's a really fun game with loads of content. I'm curious as what their next move is. Do they do a sequel or go for another Nintendo license like Mario or FE? This could open a lot of doors for them and for Nintendo bringing another type of game mainstream.

Nia

Excellent. I was hoping it would get good sales. Use those Rupees for an expanded roster.

And put Saria in damn it.

Mihos

Gold Member
This game and Bayonetta are really the only WiiU games I have liked so far. I will probably skip the DLC though.

rhandino

Banned
Awesome, this is one of my favorite musou games after DW7 and Warriors Orochi 3.

Hoping now for:

- Fire Emblem: Bladestorm
- Super Mario Musou
- Hyrule Warriors 2
- Hyrule Warriors Empires

... Let me dream T_T

Ludist210

Good for them. I still need to get it (I'm hoping it goes up on Club Nintendo amidst the closing), but I want it.

Seems like Koei Tecmo is becoming one of Nintendo's go-to third-party developers lately. I'd love to see them get Super Swing Golf on Wii U as an F2P. I think that would work wonderfully.

Hopefully this means more patches and the rather odd challenge mode to be more than one level.

:O

Can't believe I never thought of this...
re:Wario Musou. Well I suppose Wario World put people off seeing Wario in a 3D brawling environment ever again. I blame the pause menu music...ugh...

I'll probably pick it up this friday, is the DLC worth it?

Absolutely. Every new Adventure Map - the main attraction of the game and DLC - feels different from the default one, mostly due to altered game rules, and features a lot (I mean - a lot) of additional unlockable content, on top of additional content available on purchase.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Amazing news. Here's hoping years from now we are all playing Hyrule Warriors 5.

You have to imagine that the DLC is bringing in some solid bank as well.

rhandino

Banned
Man, I now want that after the Boss DLC Pack they could put on sale more stages and more music.

At this point is more like a wish for a sequel but this game reaaaaally needs more varied stages from more games (Or even from the games represented) and even more music (It could be good that they put a mix of original and remixes like in Super Smash Bros) since you replay the Adventure Stages (A LOT) and I'm kind of sick of some of the tunes... =/

Even so I really like this game, loved how varied each character is from another.

4Tran

Hyrule Warriors seems to be the one big third party success story on the Wii U. Koei managed to use their familiar gameplay to bring in an audience that previously was cold to it. I think that it gives them a good idea of what does and does not sell on the console. Unfortunately, it's pretty bad news for other third party games.

This is great news for Nintendo. Proves that they can have decent sales with their partnerships with 3rd parties.

Too bad TW101 and Bayonetta2 underperformed.

I think this is the way Nintendo needs to follow to solve their lack of 3rd party.
It proves that third party games steeped in Nintendo fanservice can sell. Games that don't have this aren't as successful, so there's a lot less point in releasing them on the Wii U.

Top Bottom