• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m on the hunt for particular kind of game....

WellSheet

I’ve been struggling lately to find a game that checks the boxes for me...

I want something with good combat, good exploration; but I want to feel like my exploration is rewarded well...

Game’s that I feel represent what I’m looking for are:

God of War 2018, Hollow Knight, Control, The Evil Within 2, Bioshock, Metro exodus...

that’s just to name a few fairly similar “feeling” but different titles that check that balance of good exploration, good world design, fun combat and meaningful progression of upgrading/systems...

I’ve played most of the games I think check these boxes - but there’s so many great titles out there, especially in the indie scene - I’m sure I’m maybe overlooking something.

I see Assassin’s Creed Origins is on sale right now on PS Store and I never tried it...Odyssey was way too bloated feeling and Valhalla seems to have not fared particularly well since launch with player feedback...so I’m skeptical that would tickle my pickle...

Anyways - I’ve blabbered on enough. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

WellSheet

Have you played Dragon's Dogma? Combat is great and explorarion is nice, all dungeons and places are unique and there are even boss battles in the wild.
You know what....I keep FORGETTING that I tried this game back during its launch and it didn’t click with me due to the Pawn system, but I never really got passed the opening area...I don’t even recall even really getting out into the open world...I remember hearing it was sort of bland? That not so? I’m ignorant on the game...but you’ve perked my ears...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You know what....I keep FORGETTING that I tried this game back during its launch and it didn’t click with me due to the Pawn system, but I never really got passed the opening area...I don’t even recall even really getting out into the open world...I remember hearing it was sort of bland? That not so? I’m ignorant on the game...but you’ve perked my ears...
It's kind of a flawed gem. The combat is imo the best in any ARPG, and the exploration is rewarding in the sense that each area is unique and there aren't map markers and such outside of missions, so you have to find everything yourself.

But yeah, the game might be kinda bland if you are in looking for a great story. But if you want a comfy exploration game with cool combat, it's great.

And the pawn system is nice! I loved exploring the world while listening the my pawns advice and fighting alonside them.

Game is not for everyone, but if you think it could be for you, you should give it a try. It didn't clicked with me the first time but now it's one of my favorite games. It's flawed, but also great.

GHG

Gold Member
Nier Automata
Salt and Sanctuary
Any of the Souls games
The Ori games
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Prey 2017

It is bland. The only thing that saves it is the magic system. I'd actually say you'd be better off playing Outward than DD these days and that game does reward exploration so add it to my list above.

Edit: and any of the resident evil remakes/remasters.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

It doesn't have very good combat and exploration feels kind of meaningless. It's mostly just finding stuff you don't need, just for the sake of exploring.
Explore
verb
  1. 1.
    travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.
BOTW does exploration better than the majority of the games that have exploration as part of their game design.
There doesn't have to be a reward at the end of it. The reward is in the sense of seeing all the game world has to offer.

WellSheet

Definitely this, it may not be "open world" but it has one best exploration out there, there are completely option area that has its own set of enemies and bosses, and the best part the game doesn't tell you where it is you have to find it yourself.
I’m a idiot to not mention the souls/souls like games. Name any of the big ones and I’ve played them, Nioh, Surge, Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Shell...2D souls likes too Salt and Sanctuary, Blasphemous, Death’s Gambit (shudders)...

GHG

Gold Member
Explore
verb
  1. 1.
    travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.
BOTW does exploration better than the majority of the games that have exploration as part of their game design.
There doesn't have to be a reward at the end of it. The reward is in the sense of seeing all the game world has to offer.

The exploration is entirely meaningless in BOTW. What are you going to find? Some weapon that breaks in 2 hits, a gourd seed or one of the many copy /paste shrines?

Paasei

I only play Hitman atm. Try Yakuza, I did, but then Hitman 3 came out.
I mean it, though. Yakuza is amazing. Took me ages to start with the series. Finally got them on PC and started playing. Unfortunately for me, Hitman truly is my favorite franchise, so I am distracted for a while

Last edited:

WellSheet

Nier Automata
Salt and Sanctuary
Any of the Souls games
The Ori games
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Prey 2017

It is bland. The only thing that saves it is the magic system. I'd actually say you'd be better off playing Outward than DD these days and that game does reward exploration so add it to my list above.

Edit: and any of the resident evil remakes/remasters.
My dumbass original post is quickly proving itself a failure lol

I’ve played all of them 1000X over. It’s one of my favorite series ever.

SJRB

Gold Member
Depending on the price, AC Origins might actually be worth it. Game is pretty good and has an awesome sense of exploration.

Another suggestion could be Dying Light? It ticks all your boxes: good world design, awesome traversal mechanics, solid combat, decent story.

GHG

Gold Member
I’m a idiot to not mention the souls/souls like games. Name any of the big ones and I’ve played them, Nioh, Surge, Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Shell...2D souls likes too Salt and Sanctuary, Blasphemous, Death’s Gambit (shudders)...

In that case if you want a different flavour of game then the Divinity Original sin games could be a good match. Those games reward exploration and curiosity in spades. Lots of interesting and unique items/quests to be find by exploring the game world. It's also one of those games that rewards out of the box thinking, most areas can be accessed via unorthodox means.

SirTerry-T

The exploration is entirely meaningless in BOTW. What are you going to find? Some weapon that breaks in 2 hits, a gourd seed or one of the many copy /paste shrines?
I suppose what you get out of the exploration of the game depends on what kind of person you are.
I enjoy walking through the local woods....it's not going to bother me if I don't find a dropped ten quid note.

SNPlayen

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order maybe? Origins pretty ordinary TBH and does not meet your criteria, I’m playing Ghost of Tsushima currently and is on another league better

WellSheet

In that case if you want a different flavour of game then the Divinity Original sin games could be a good match. Those games reward exploration and curiosity in spades. Lots of interesting and unique items/quests to be find by exploring the game world. It's also one of those games that rewards out of the box thinking, most areas can be accessed via unorthodox means.
Oooooh! I haven’t tried these out at all. Isometric games have always been hit or miss for me. I tried Diablo 3 “super duper go fuck yourself version” a few years back and just couldn’t gel...But Hades made me warm up to iso styled combat games.

RedVIper

Banned
I suppose what you get out of the exploration of the game depends on what kind of person you are.
I enjoy walking through the local woods....it's not going to bother me if I don't find a dropped ten quid note.

He said he wanted to be rewarded for his exploration though

GHG

Gold Member
Oooooh! I haven’t tried these out at all. Isometric games have always been hit or miss for me. I tried Diablo 3 “super duper go fuck yourself version” a few years back and just couldn’t gel...But Hades made me warm up to iso styled combat games.

Can't recommend the divinity OS games enough. 2 of my favorite games of last gen.

They are not like diablo/hades which are both more action oriented, the divinity OS games are some of the deepest RPG games around.

RedVIper

Banned
The entire souls series fits your criteria IMO

Subnautica has virtually no combat it but I'm going to recommend it for the exploration aspect anyway.

PaintTinJr

I want something with good combat, good exploration; but I want to feel like my exploration is rewarded well...

God of War 2018, Hollow Knight, Control, The Evil Within 2, Bioshock, Metro exodus...

that’s just to name a few fairly similar “feeling” but different titles that check that balance of good exploration, good world design, fun combat and meaningful progression of upgrading/systems...

I’ve played most of the games I think check these boxes - but there’s so many great titles out there, especially in the indie scene - I’m sure I’m maybe overlooking something.

I see Assassin’s Creed Origins is on sale right now on PS Store and I never tried it...Odyssey was way too bloated feeling and Valhalla seems to have not fared particularly well since launch with player feedback...so I’m skeptical that would tickle my pickle...

Anyways - I’ve blabbered on enough. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Probably not a system you still have kicking around, but if you never played it back in the ps3 days, 3D Dot Game Heroes is something different - and enjoyable even if you don't finish it. The combat is still enough to encourage me to re-install it, Visuals are great, audio is superb - old school 8/16bit era - plenty of exploration, and some good 4th wall breaking humour throughout the fun story.

dyergram

Thank you!!
Not sure if you have played control but if you have a PS4/5 it’s a must play imo amazing world building brilliant combat and funny as well.

If you liked Hollow Knight there's the metroid and castlevania, and the spiritual successor to that bloodstained, I would also recommend Jedi Fallen Order, it's a pretty fun adventure game.

The only way AC Origins has rewarding exploration. is maybe if u never use Senu, turn the HUD completely off and never use the "sense" function. But then ull have no clue what to do or where to go, or if u can even kill an enemy. And the combat is like PS2 level

Top Bottom