• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I adore and Love Capcom , you?

Nope, they nerfed my favourite character, whose best matchup was a 5-5. Literally no positive matchups, and they nerfed them. God forbid someone doesn’t play Ryu I guess.

RE7 was good fun though.

Looking back, Capcom might be my favorite game developer/publisher. MVC, Streetfighter, mega man, dmc, Resident evil. Some of the best and most iconic in the business.

pswii60

Looking back, Capcom might be my favorite game developer/publisher. MVC, Streetfighter, mega man, dmc, Resident evil. Some of the best and most iconic in the business.
Then add in all those amazing Dreamcast games like Powerstone. And all the 80s arcade classics like 1942, Bionic Commando, Strider etc.

They have amazing history. It's a shame they don't do more with it.

redcrayon

I used to love them for Mega man, these days they are just the Monster Hunter devs to me. Having said that, they do it well, currently playing Stories and, much like the main games, I like the little free parcel of DLC each week.

I liked a lot of what they did in the past, especially in the 90s when I was a child. I really liked their PS2 era output and thought SF IV was great. But I dislike what Capcpom is doing in recent years.

Zalman

They have some of my favorite franchises on the planet, but I still hate them. They constantly find ways to piss me off.

Never liked their games, to be honest. Not interesting at all for me. I'm not a fan of fighting games, don't like console action games, don't like platformers other than occasional Nintendo ones...

They're just not for me. They are like that girl who loves Metallica and other trash bands when I like someone with skill and finesse, like Journey.

Nanashrew

Banned
I adored them. Past tense. They used to make some of my favorite games of all time and now they barely do anything but port old games and roll them into collections because all they have left is their legacy.

Zalman

I adored them. Past tense. They used to make some of my favorite games of all time and now they barely do anything but port old games and roll them into collections because all they have left is their legacy.
Basically the only new games I enjoy from them these days are the Ace Attorney ones. Too bad they treat Ace Attorney fans outside of Japan like shit.

YBdisk

I appreciate them for how they deal with Monster Hunter DLC

It's not dlc ffs...

Last gen Capcom was great up until the end of it.
All I care about now is Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter. I don't expect anything else worthwhile from them anymore.

Capcom were my favorite game developer by far. Almost all of my favorite games and characters are by Capcom.

Even today, with Capcom being so stupid, Strider is still my favorite this gen and I love where Street Fighter V is going. Also, I can't wait for Monster Hunter world, and I hope MvCI gets support so it can fulfill its potential. I really like it but the roster isn't good enough and it has some presentation issues.

Many people love to say that Megaman has been dead forever, but it was just last gen that we had Megaman Zx and Advent, Megaman 9 and Megaman 10. I don't think we should count him out yet. Ditto for Devil May Cry. However I miss other Capcom franchises like Final Fight.

But hey, I got my "impossible videogame pipe dream" moment with Strider. I might just get another one of those with Final Fight some day.

They're sometimes clumsy and slow to adapt, which is reflected in their questionable decisions with the RE franchise, but they've also taken risks in RE7, RE2 remake, Capcom/Marvel revival and putting their weight in FGC/esports.

I blame something being lost in translation at times.

Mediking

I don't HATE Capcom.

I do like them.

They just make really bad decisions sometimes and its been giving them a negative vibe.

petran79

Banned
But even in their glory days they killed 2d Megamans (&X) with countless sequels. Criticism was all over the place

PantsuJo

They killed Rival Schools.

They killed Capcom vs SNK.

They killed
the true
Marvel vs Capcom

They killed God Hand and Asura's Wrath.

They killed Strider.

They killed Megaman.

What are you talking about, OP?

You are talking about a DEAD Capcom, not the current one.

zeniselv

They were at the top in the snes era, pretty good in the ps1 era, after that they started to go down, they killed most of their goodwill, and platinum was pretty much capcom shutting down clover and he going "im gonna make my own company, with blackjack and hookers" they do put great games now and then, but then they make the sequel an mmo...

gelf

They are one of my favourite publishers of all time second only to Sega. The company as it is now does have its problems, sometimes they make weird decisions in a desperate push for mass market and they have always been dodgy with DLC practices so I can't say I love them as much anymore.

But that said they still gave us the magnificent Resident Evil 7 this year and as a long term critic of Street Fighter 5 the recently announced update sounds great. They still manage to put out stuff that appeals to me from time to time so I can't hate them like some here seem to.

I especially don't see the point in complaining about dead franchises. I'd like some of them back sure but I'm realistic that it's just not possible with all the will in the world for any company to continually support the huge amount of classic property Capcom has. I'd settle for more re-releases.

mao2

They killed Rival Schools.

They killed Capcom vs SNK.

They killed
the true
Marvel vs Capcom

They killed God Hand and Asura's Wrath.

They killed Strider.

They killed Megaman.

What are you talking about, OP?

You are talking about a DEAD Capcom, not the current one.
Yup, they also killed Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Armored Warriors/Cyberbots, Breath of Fire... And worst of all, they made Resident Evil 7. They used to be Capgod, now they're just Crapcom.

danmaku

Cuningas de Häme;251216474 said:
Never liked their games, to be honest. Not interesting at all for me. I'm not a fan of fighting games, don't like console action games, don't like platformers other than occasional Nintendo ones...

They're just not for me. They are like that girl who loves Metallica and other trash bands when I like someone with skill and finesse, like Journey.

As someone that's trying to be as edgy as possible, you should know it's called thrash.

Anyway, Capcom. I usually love what they do, except when they're doing fighting games. Bonus points for being early supporters of Japanese games on PC, their last gen ports were all amazing on PC.

nubbe

Crapcon was great until the days of PS360
Then they started the shit out turds... with a few exceptions

Neonep

They lost major points that they still have received back due to the bullshit they pulled on Devil May Cry.

Endo Punk

They F'd up far too many times last gen and the repercussions are still felt today. I will not feel the same until at the very minimum get DMC5.

I think they've been at war with logic and fighting the battle against competence. They made some stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid decisions during the 360/PS3 era trying to chase that western money and they're still trying to recuperate from that. At least Inafune is gone and people now see him for the hack he is.

After how they and Ninja Theory treated the DMC fanbase, yeah that shook my faith in the entire industry. Not forgiving that in a hurry.

zashga

Capcom makes me sad these days. Hopefully MH World turns out good; it would be the first game from them I've bought this entire generation.

They have one really exciting game on the way and... that's it. They're a cheap shadow of their former selves.

And I can't praise Resident Evil, Mega Man, Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter and Okami high enough, but we're probably never going to see those series get what their legacy deserves again. Capcom finds away to annoy/disappoint fans from most of its franchises regardless of their unique situations, it's quite impressive (Mega Man six feet under, Ghost Trick was never given even the slightest chance, Monster Hunter shifts from platform to platform with little notice or consideration for those left behind, Ace Attorney once king of adventure games is now even more niche than Danganronpa, Resident Evil's genre changes etc.)

It's just a shame really.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
When I was a kid, their logo on a game box meant to me that the game was good. From the NES to the PS2. Even though they still put out some good stuff during the PS3/X360 gen their output took a dive.

It's kinda sad honestly. Apart from Monster Hunter and horror RE I'm not looking forward to what they are offering.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I love capcom still. I just beat Resident Evil Revelations and then Resident Evil 6. I guess I'm into capcom as much as some are to Nintendo.

Capcom uses to be by far my favourite games company up until like a decade ago.

Now I don't even think about them at all . Calling them a shell of their former selves is too generous.

MadeULook

Nah, they killed any goodwill Dead Rising had left and Dragon's Dogma 2 is probably never going to happen at this point. Actually, the more I think about it, Capcom is a major contender for having the most mismanaged series in gaming.

Let me know if MH World turns out to be good. That looks great at least.

Marvel

could never
Still love 'em.

But they do make some shitty decisions these days that leave me scratching my head.

Kuraudo

Banned
Yes, but it gets tougher and tougher every year.

Capcom were pretty much on top during the 4th, 5th, and 6th generations. The first half of last gen was incredible--they were almost faultless until Bionic Commando came out and their output became very hit and miss until about 2012 when it became more miss than hit.

The decline has continued into this gen with their output seriously shrinking. So far we've mostly had a handful of good games ruined by poor business models. Resi 7 feels like the only product to come close to their earlier releases and even it was marred by content being trimmed to sell as DLC.

The main thing that's been keeping them alive are the remasters of older titles, but even those have become lazier and lazier with RE4-6, Revelations, etc. getting nothing close to the same treatment as DmC, REmake, RE0 or DMC4. And they're very quickly coming to the end of titles which can be easily upgraded to new systems.

"adore" and "love" mean the same thing

and no I don't love any corporation because that's asinine. Some of the people that used to work there, I loved their work. There's a difference.

Fraeon

When I was a kid, their logo on a game box meant to me that the game was good. From the NES to the PS2. Even though they still put out some good stuff during the PS3/X360 gen their output took a dive.

It's kinda sad honestly. Apart from Monster Hunter and horror RE I'm not looking forward to what they are offering.

Aside from those two and Street Fighter, they're not even offering much else moving forward. All of their other offerings are re-releases of older games.

But if Capcom vanished tomorrow I'm pretty sure not many would miss them. Me included.

I love to laugh at 'em.

How can you go from one of the sharpest devolper in the video game business with top quality studio to what we have now is dumbfounding.

Still love 'em.

But they do make some shitty decisions these days that leave me scratching my head.

11-12 years of fucking up can't be really called ''these days''.

It's how they decided to start operating when PS2 was shelved.

Top Bottom