• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I adore and Love Capcom , you?

Capcom was a favorite developer of mine up until the end of the PS2 generation. So much good and memorable stuff. Their fighting game output from the 90's alone is enough to warrant a spot on any gamers' top developer list.

Rathorial

Ambivalent to them, they've always been hit or miss like a bunch of other studios for me. I like Dragon's Dogma, DMC, and the upcoming Monster Hunter World looks cool...but most of their other catalog is a pass for me. Never liked fighting games much outside smash bros, much less survival horror games.

I love them for what they gave me in my childhood and youth. I hate them for most of the shit they pulled in the last years. I think it started with Tekken x Street Fighter and Resident Evil 5.
I like Resi 7 and Worlds looks good, but their absolutely inane business decisions and handling of a lot of their IP in general leaves me with a lot of not so nice feelings towards them.
RE5 is the best coop game ever...

My Oki Avatar sorta gives away my opinion on the matter, I do like there games as regardless of what games they make, the gameplay is pretty much always strong and solid in all of their titles. They even hold a number of my all time favourite game titles with Ghost Trick, Devil May Cry 3 and (of course) Okami.

That said they really have a PR Problem at present and a Management one as well that they have to resolve if they are wanting to do well. For as much of a disaster Marvel VS Capcom Infinite has been PR wise, but on the flip side of the coin they pretty much handled Resident Evil VII perfectly (With the one exception being some suspicions about the DLC being ready super early, but game development is weird, hard to know how that played it without insider knowledge).

I hope they are able to resolve their problems and rise up back to their 90's/00's status again. I can see it being done, but man, get rid of the jesters that keep making bad decisions in your company. They can be like Nintendo at times with a 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps back approach.

They brought Okami, Ace Attorney and Dragons Dogma to us, how could someone not love capcom? Plus minish cap.

I like their PC support. Id wish Konami is similar strong ambitious with its ips.

Surfside

Banned
I still absolutely love their games. With gems such as; Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, DMC and Resident Evil, how could i not.

It's just their business decisions that have been somewhat questionable.

Their games are still ace though. And as long as that's the case, i'll be there.

soheil

Capcom is like a family member who constantly disappoints you but still makes you laugh. Their games don't suck but they make baffling business decisions no one should want them to fail otherwise fighting games go on an 8 year dirt nap again.

They're hardly Sega or KONAMI who flat out don't make good games anymore: Yakuza excluded and AM2 if they're ever allowed to do Virtua Fighter again.

Sega is not definitely at its best but still, Sega's outputs are better than Capcom and so much better than Konami.I think these three cannot be compared anymore.Also, Sega has more in-house studio than Capcam or Konami.It is just that Sega was so great back then that they won't probably be as good as they were ever again.

Sega 2017 games (Meta) :

Puyo Puyo Tetris 81%
Yakuza 0 85%
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone 84%
Bayonetta (PC) 90%
Vanquish (PC) 78%
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III (PC) 77%
Endless Space 2 (PC) 80%
Sonic Mania 86%
Yakuza Kiwami 80%
Total War: WARHAMMER II 86%
Valkyria Revolution 54%
Football Manager 2018 TBA
Sonic Forces TBA
+Atlus Games
Persona 5 93%
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception 80%
Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder 79%

I think this is much better lineup than what Capcam or Konami released this year.

ChryZ

I love many of their games, but hate a lot of their business decisions.

That goes for so many big Japanese publishers. They could do so much better, if they managed their IPs better.

Soodanim

Gold Member
They used to be my favourite developer in the PS2 era, but they're mixed now.

Resident Evil 5 wasn't as good as 4, 6 is boring, and 7 doesn't appeal to me.
Dead Rising seemed to fall off after 2, so I don't buy those.
Street Fighter 5 has had a strange journey, but I don't play that series any more so I can't comment too strongly.

However...
PC ports are good.
Dragon's Dogma was fantastic, even better when ported to PC.

I just want the Resident Evil 2 Remake to be good and for them to resurrect things like Onimusha and Dino Crisis.

Scotia

Banned
Yeah I still love Capcom. They've made some really dumb decisions in the past, and will no doubt make some in the future, but the amount of effort they've seemingly put into Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is honestly mind blowing and is awesome to see. I'm optimistic for Capcom's future.

ArjanN

They're still a top tier developer despite discussion around them being largely full of kneejerk shitposts.

Capcom is fucking dead to me.

#Blocked.

Capcom has made a lot of my favorite games of all time. They were also my favorite developer for a long time. Capcom used to be synonymous with GOLD.

RE7, REmake 2, MH: World, Itsuno game is a great resume if you ask me. Even if it doesn't compare to their golden age, which very few devs can compare to anyway.

Risible

Yes, I love Capcom.

Over the years, chances are if I've played a game and loved it enough to play it over multiple times, it's a Capcom joint.

gardfish

They consistently put out games that I enjoy, but they're really, really averse to letting me give them money to fucking play them.

As with Square, I have accepted that it isn't the PSX-era anymore. I.e. they are good enough under the current circumstances. Though when speaking of their overall catalogue, they might just be the strongest 3rd party in existence.

I was with them until about 2010. Early Capcom was great, 6th gen Capcom was amazing (Devil May Cry 1/3, Resident Evil 4, Okami, Godhand, Onimusha, etc) Early 7th Gen Capcom was still pretty damn good (Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, etc.). After about 2010 was when they went to their "Everything gotta sell a lot more, Westernize it!" phase. 2010 - 2014 Capcom was full of missteps and missed opportunities with DmC, RE 6, Bionic Commando, etc. but still had some gems like Dragon's Dogma. 2014 to 2017 Capcom has been a load of crap: Street Fighter 5, Umbrella Corps, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Dead Rising 4, most of their IP are unused and/or dead, etc. I've just accepted that they are not the company they used to be and have lost quite a bit of talent (Kamiya, Mikami, etc).

I enjoy their games but I was mainly grown on sega, square enix and Nintendo games. Still disheartening to see capcom struggling in recent years.

I miss the old Capcom, straight from the arcade Capcom
Chop up the streets Capcom, set on his blasters Capcom
I hate the new Capcom, the bad mood Capcom
The always rude Capcom, greedy in the news Capcom
I miss the sweet Capcom, chop up the demons Capcom
I gotta say, at that time I'd like to meet Capcom
I used to love Capcom, I used to love Capcom

dlauv

I used to. Fuck 'em. They don't have much personality anymore and their games are so compromised.

They've had like 2 hits out of 6 attempts this gen.

RE7 & DR3 out of DR4, SF5, MVCI, Umbrella Chronicles. Even the "hits" have glaring issues. It's just tiring.

There are a few more games released, but these are the AAA franchises.

I hope Monster Hunter World is good, but I'm not at all holding my breath much less following any hype.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Than Capcom went all bad boy on me and released MVC3 with locked dlc and I didn't even care.

Capcom could hide all dlc over and over in a discs, capcom could make the next 3 resident evils in first person and make team ninja make dmc5 and I will still be a loyal fan forever.

This folk is why being a fanboy towards a company is a bad thing, you become blind to their short coming and pretty much let it slide because you feel that you own them.

OP, Capcom doesn't adore and love you at all, they just want your money and are willing to screw their fan base, namely you, over just to get that $$$.

Astral Dog

At their best they are among the VERY best videogame designers since their start, and their acconplishments include inventing and reinventing genres.you can't say that about SEGA for example.

I loved Mega Man. Capcom made Mega Man, but then they stopped.

I loved Breath of Fire. Capcom made Breath of Fire, but then they stopped (other than that mobile game...).

I loved Monster Hunter, Capcom put it on a system I owned but then they stopped (We'll see where they go with this).

I loved Capcom, but then I stopped.

Freddo

Capcom impressed me greatly during the NES and SNES days. Since then they been impressing me a lot less.

done with them except Ace Attorney games
Yep, even though Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice were a bit weak. Loved Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth though, shame the sequel never was released here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
At their best they are among the VERY best videogame designers since their start, and their acconplishments include inventing and reinventing genres.you can't say that about SEGA for example.

Except you can pretty easy, your example is ass

Namco and Sega were arcade powerhouses that did exactly that

Epcott

I’m pretty indifferent to them. I don’t play fighting games so I have nothing to be angry about (other than lack if Mega Man). They still reinvent a few flagship series like RE7 and MH World, so they’re doing better than Sega IMO.

At this point, to me they’re the “At least it’s not Konami” guys.

TEJ

capcom made a lot of my favorite games up to the ps2 era and even last gen they made a few i’ve loved.

even with their recent boneheaded decisions its hard to hate them.

Stygr

Banned
I love Capcom games, from late 80 until today, they lost a LOT of talents, the whole Clover Studio and Mikami are the biggest lost, but at least "Mikami's RE" is living in The Evil Within and i'm ok with that, same for Kamiya.

If i have to rank 10 Capcom games i'd say:

- Street Fighter II - The Masterpiece
- Resident Evil 2
- Devil May Cry 3
- Resident Evil 4
- Okami
- Onimusha 3
- Dragon's Dogma
- Viewtiful Joe
- Ghost Trick
- Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

They’re still making Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright games so they still have a place in my heart. However, the 90s Capcom is on a different level.

Head.spawn

Nah. They keep fucking up over and over again.

I'd love to love them; they just don't want it to happen. They've been a bit problematic lately.

Everything I liked about them is absolutely past-tense.

Top Bottom