• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I AM A FREEEEEEE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiolon

I thought this was going to be a divorce thread because I made one after my divorce ha ha. Any ways, paying off debt is amazing. Congrats and try not to get back into it by doing anything stupid, which includes getting married or having children.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
4 long years? I'll be lucky to be done with debt in 2030, and I graduated years ago.

Either way, that feeling of no longer being binded is amazing.

Damn, OP is debt-free, AND he got tagged

Don't forget us when you're there, bro, in that beachfront penthouse suite, don't forget us

entremet

Congrats, OP.

Being debt free is so amazing. I started hating debt so much after paying my loans and CCs in my 20s. I can't see myself getting a mortgage either since it's just another fancy loan and sounds like a ball and chain. Renting for life for me, while investing in more liquid assets.

todd360

Good job and congratulations! I yearn for the day when I can be free as well. Something needs to be done about these outrageous college prices.

An-Det

Congrats. I actually just finished paying off my student loan to Great Lakes today, as well. Still have 1 more that I'll finish with the tax return next spring, but it still felt damn good.

Hexa

Nice OP. How much in debt did you start out in? What are you planning on spending all your extra money on? Protip: Start putting money into long term savings.

That's possible? :eek:

You should get a form in the mail every year telling you how much interest you paid, and yes, there is a credit you should be filling out on your return for it. It's nothing huge, though. I think we got about $400 back this year for it (out of the thousands paid in interest).

Ettie

13 months. Finally entering the last year of a 5 year plan to repay mine early. What a slog it has been.

Congrats, I truly can't wait to join your ranks.

akira28

Fucking terrible first post.

3nsJva9.gif

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Wait, I didn't even know I could write off the interest on my taxes? Is it worth it?

Evo X

Congrats!

Paying off debt of any kind is a great feeling.

Now go gloat about it on Facebook to your friends that are still crushed by it's burden!

Wait, I didn't even know I could write off the interest on my taxes? Is it worth it?

YES. Fuck taxes. Take every single deduction that you can.

Makai

I use Great Lakes, too, although I dont understsnd the rush to repay your debt. Their student loans have good interest rates and I don't want to squander the opportunity to repay them as slowly as possible. I'm paying the minimum on all of my loans and putting the rest into retirement. I would extend my payment schedule if I could.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Never had any debt to being with.
[/superior European country]

(congrats though, you guys have it tough)

After four long years .. I have finally finished paying off my motherfucking student loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn does this feel good. I was pretty much dumping any remaining money I had each month into them, because otherwise the interest was killing me. I finally am free and now have all this money to spend wahoo!!

E5DQOgN.jpg

Great, great job, dude!
Congrats!

theaface

Well done OP. I know that feeling, as I paid of my student loan too last month. I was actually one of the lucky ones in the UK, in that I went to uni just before tuition fees went silly buggers. Still, it's a great great feeling to know that a seemingly insurmountable debt of around £10k no longer exists...

...but yeah, we now have a mortgage which will take an hilariously long time to pay off. :/

Vaco6121

OP, I'm very happy for you. I have just under 9,000 in student loans that should be payed off in under 2 yrs. Student loans is the biggest thing to have off your chest.

ezrarh

Congratulations, it's a great feeling. I just finished mine off last year and while my interest rates weren't that high, it made me feel a lot better to finish off the loans. The more economic thing to do was to invest it in the stock market and pay minimum on the low interest loans but that doesn't feel as good as saying you're done with student loans.

Dynasty8

Congrats man...it's one of the best feelings. I recently became debt free too. Just curious...what was your major and where did you attend?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
felt great paying off my £5000 student debt a few years back, as well as my Bank loan

came out pretax so didn't feel it, managed to get a few refunds as I overpaid, but holy crap some of the debts you have in the USA , shocking...

glad you are a free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom