• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am beyond pissed at Nintendo at this point. Nintendo is anti-consumer.

levyjl1988

Banned
To keep the story short....

I purchased the New Nintendo 3DS XL (Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition).
I am upgrading from my Nintendo 3DS Phat from launch.
I also want to go pro digital from now on.
I purchased digitally the Super Smash Bros. 3DS game on my 3DS phat.
I used the Save Data Transfer Tool to bring my save data of Smash Bros. 3DS from the cart data to the SD card. Now my Cartridge is empty.
I perform a system transfer tool following all the necessary steps found on Nintendo's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88
Now I cannot access my save data for Super Smash bros. 3DS on the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

I later discovered this after my mistake from the forums.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/151708

So I cannot create a save backup data for Smash Bros. on my original 3DS Phat and I cannot play my save data of 500 hours + on my New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Nintendo you are so fucking backwards. I cannot support you anymore.
Nor can I go back to my existing 3DS Phat and play my original Smash Bros. 3DS save file.

Fuck you Nintendo.

UPDATE:

Yup, I'm fucked for going digital.
There is no way I can recover my 500+ Smash Bros. 3DS hours logged on after performing a save data transfer and performing a system transfer.

Taken from the Instruction Manual.
MYPTfjd.jpg

wiSBtPM.jpg

Source: https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/m...ntendo3DS_SuperSmashBrosForNintendo3DS_EN.pdf
https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-bros-copy-problem.374090/

The message I got.
NZVVkVJ.jpg

Q49iM1F.jpg

I'm crying now. :(
Well that's it I'm resorting to piracy and homebrew from now on. As a person who buys legit and when the system screws the end user it's not fun and loyalty anymore but extreme mistrust. Fuck this.

To the thread starter, in a case such as this, you may be best to contact Nintendo directly using their support line at 1-800-255-3700 and speak to them. They likely can help you out more than we can here. As the New Nintendo 3DS XL is still quite new here in North America, we still do not have a whole lot of data and/or troubleshooting information on the system as of yet, or even why things such as this seem to be happening so frequently with the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Copying from the link you sent. I don't think it's anti-consumer as much as its incompetence from Nintendo.

Eolz

I can understand the frustration (it's not a modern system), but on the other hand, I remember getting a lot of warning messages and recommandations to read more stuff about the transfer online before doing that...

levyjl1988

Banned
Happiness turns to misery. I am deeply saddened that I cannot play my Fire Emblem Fates knowing I cannot play my 500+ hours of save data of Smash Bros. on my New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Why can't Nintendo be fucking simple. How can I stay calm?

And I'm pissed at your post.

I thought you were going to create a thread about how Nintendo does not care about fans, make low budget efforts and constantly pisses off their fans (E3 15 says hi)

Instead, its about the customer service... sigh.

TheMoon

So you fucked up your save game and now they're anti-consumer?

Please lol.

Why did you buy stuff and did the save conversion on your old machine when you already had the new machine?

inner-G

Banned
Pretty much how I feel about them at this point, but not for the same reason.

I've already sold my Wii U and most of my 3DS stuff, I figure values will tank as soon as they announce NX.

People: the point is, he should've just been able to sign in on the new device. This madness of entire system transfers and backups is fucking insanity.

LewieP

I think that compared to many of their direct competitors, they are relatively pro consumer. I would attribute these kind of failings more to them being incompetent in certain areas, extremely conservative and insular, and relying on inflexible infrastructure that is broadly designed to make things easier for parents but is actually unfit for purpose.

I don't think we can expect any changes for this stuff on their current platforms, but I sincerely hope they address this stuff for NX (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest they might).

I've already sold my Wii U and most of my 3DS stuff, I figure values will tank as soon as they announce NX.

They don't. I sold my N64 stuff for more than paid at retail (console aside). You just sold at probably the lowest resale value.

inner-G

Banned
They don't. I sold my N64 stuff for more than paid at retail (console aside). You just sold at probably the lowest resale value.
Wii U is never going to be worth anything significant. The disc drives in them are mostly garbage too (one of mine died), they won't last as long as a cart-based N64.

TheMoon

People: the point is, he should've just been able to sign in on the new device. This madness of entire system transfers and backups is fucking insanity.

No, this is about save games. Signing into an account doesn't magically transfer your save games anywhere.

It shouldn't be this difficult. And they should allow the user to recover in case of failure.

It isn't difficult. He did a super weird thing with his save data and in the process it got corrupted somehow. Save data sometimes gets fucked up. Anti consumer yay!

Their My Nintendo account us showing they are moving towards the right direction in upgrading and the wrong direction in IP blocking which is uber anti consumer

Meffer

I think that compared to many of their direct competitors, they are relatively pro consumer. I would attribute these kind of failings more to them being incompetent in certain areas, extremely conservative and insular, and relying on inflexible infrastructure that is broadly designed to make things easier for parents but is actually unfit for purpose.

I don't think we can expect any changes for this stuff on their current platforms, but I sincerely hope they address this stuff for NX (and there is plenty of evidence to suggest they might).
The certainly were incompetent this gen and last with consumer ease of use. I like Nintendo but they really need to catch up. I lost all my saves last night because my SD got corrupted from downloading FE:Fates. If Nintendo had cloud system for saves like Sony, this wouldn't be an issue.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Why should it be like this?

It doesn't. But calling it "Anti-consumer" is far reaching.
That's like saying "I can't change my PSN name? That's anti-consumer"

It isn't difficult. He did a super weird thing with his save data and in the process it got corrupted somehow. Save data sometimes gets fucked up. Anti consumer yay!

It's not a "super weird thing". It's what Nintendo forces you to do. He didn't use some third-party backdoor glitch or anything like that.

Petrae

At the very least, OP, you should probably call them and offer feedback on the process... walking the CSR through what yiu did and how/if you found the process confusing or difficult. While it won't bring back the data you lost, such feedback might be used to help adjust or streamline the process for other users in the future.

I'm sorry to read of your ordeal. Losing that data sucks, no question.

That's kind of different. You sold classics from a long dead system that are hard to find. If a bunch of Wii U and 3DS games get ported or are compatible with the Nintendo's new consoles, then the value is most likely to go lower not higher.

Wii U is never going to be worth anything significant. The disc drives in them are mostly garbage too (one of mine died), they won't last as long as a cart-based N64.

The console itself won't be worth much. Working gamepads and physical copies of games however, will almost certainly appreciate in value.

Oersted

Nintendos new account system is rolling out right now.

I agree they are late, and the still existing account system is outdated, but acting like nothing is changing does not reflect the reality.

I also sold a broken Saturn and games for more than I paid for it. You're delusional if you think it doesn't have resale value as there are games released in the last 4 years that are selling for more than MSRP.

You're welcome to think whatever you want, but you're wrong.

Edit: lol. I actually specify in my post that consoles depreciate in value. First party accessories and games (especially low-print games) climb in value (significantly) in relatively short amounts of time.

I remember when the Dreamcast wasn't worth anything significant. Games were, in some cases, literally being thrown away.

Or the Game Cube. I was buying games at Gamestop, buy 2 get one free, and walking out with a dozen games for 20 dollars.

...now both consoles and games for that system are going for above what they originally sold for, in some cases, a lot more than the original price.

Much like every other console that's ever existed, prices for games will raise over time. And given the smaller supply of Wii Us, they'll likely raise to much higher rates than other consoles this generation once they go "retro"

inner-G

Banned
Sure. But I hope you don't wanna file this under an argument that supports the "anti-consumer" whining of the OP
I file it under "Nintendo hardware sucks, their user experience is laughable and all their good games came out 15 years ago. At least they release old DQ games sometimes"

Astral Dog

And I'm pissed at your post.

I thought you were going to create a thread about how Nintendo does not care about fans, make low budget efforts and constantly pisses off their fans (E3 15 says hi)

Instead, its about the customer service... sigh.
You are far too grumpy.

inner-G

Banned
I also sold a broken Saturn and games for more than I paid for it. You're delusional if you think it doesn't have resale value as there are games released in the last 4 years that are selling for more than MSRP.

You're welcome to think whatever you want, but you're wrong.
I sold it all at GS during their 50% thing so I actually got $40+ for a lot of the games. Spent it all on Amazon gift cards instead of video games.

The Gamestop lady's face when I bought like $700 in kindle cards and didn't make any preorders... Lol

AdanVC

This is the 1# reason I haven't bought a New 3DS. The annoying and outdated af transfering process. I went to that when I "upgraded" from the OG 3DS to an XL and the process lasted like the whole afternoon and I didn't even had that much info or digital games only like half a gb. Now my 3DS XL has way more than that just imagine how long the process is going to be now. Nope. Not bothering with that anymore. If I bought a New 3DS in the future, it'll be to start using it from scratch. I prefer that.

inner-G

Banned
This is the 1# reason I haven't bought a New 3DS. The annoying and outdated af transfering process. I went to that when I "upgraded" from the OG 3DS to an XL and the process lasted like the whole afternoon and I didn't even had that much info or digital games only like half a gb. Now my 3DS XL has way more than that just imagine how long the process is going to be now. Nope. Not bothering with that anymore. If I bought a New 3DS in the future, it'll be to start using it from scratch. I prefer that.
Be careful, if you transfer from OG to n3DS, you can never transfer it back to your original one.

I also want to go pro digital from now on.

It's not exactly a secret that this is one of the last things you should do on a Nintendo platform and that they are both archaic and anti-consumer. It's a shame, but I guess at least these things make you remember to stay away in the future.

weekev

Banned
You could've waited just a few months for the new account system. It incorporates cloud saves, hopefully that means moving from one device to another will be simple in future.

TheMoon

It's a 20 minute procedure if you do it the smart way by just transferring licenses and taking the microSD from the old 3DS to the N3DS.

Silvard

I agree that Nintendo is anti-consumer. They've even managed to add their own backwards and perverse flavor to already sketchy industry practices like DLC and releasing content barren games. Not to mention the gross incompetence (to not assume malice) with which they manage online/account capabilities/entitlements and distribution of physical goods. But they get away with it because Nintendo. And quite frankly because they have studios that make amazing games. I still buy their platforms mainly because of Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems.

inner-G

Banned
It's a 20 minute procedure if you do it the smart way by just transferring licenses and taking the microSD from the old 3DS to the N3DS.
All you have to do is read a bunch of tutorials and partially disassemble your system - it's easy!

Top Bottom