• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am now a believer of higher framerate over resolution

KAL2006

Banned
It's SO cringey when people buy a ps5 and SUDDENLY become experts on framerate! Yes lowering the resolution improves game performance, yes it matters, in like 1998 this was obvious when you picked 800 by 600 and not 1024 by 768 depending on your system specs.

It's so cringey when a guy who knows more about their favourite hobby and laughs at others who share their hobby when discovering something. Not everyone has grown up as PC gamers. Not everyone has played more 60fps games.

Banned
Sorry I guess I'm a casual gamer, I have other life commitments and hobbies apologies I can't go hardcore for you guys to be an expect gaming expert who should have known the advantage of 60fps 2 decades ago.

if you ever played a game and didn't notice that 60fps is way better... I don't know what to tell you.

especially since many of the most popular games out there are 60fps on console... Rocket League, Call of Duty, Fortnite, Minecraft, Battlefield, Battlefront... every fighting game is 60fps (for a reason) and more and more games started getting performance modes

this is not some insider knowledge, this is common... this was a big deal during the 360 era when more and more games went 30fps as gaming became more casualised, but CoD stuck with 60fps and the devs proudly stood by that decision.

so yeah, if you just now realized that 60fps is way better than 30fps, then you're either just started playing videogames or you are a casual player that doesn't really give a shit

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
if you ever played a game and didn't notice that 60fps is way better... I don't know what to tell you.

especially since many of the most popular games out there are 60fps on console... Rocket League, Call of Duty, Fortnite, Minecraft, Battlefield, Battlefront... every fighting game is 60fps (for a reason) and more and more games started getting performance modes

this is not some insider knowledge, this is common... this was a big deal during the 360 era when more and more games went 30fps as gaming became more casualised, but CoD stuck with 60fps and the devs proudly stood by that decision.

so yeah, if you just now realized that 60fps is way better than 30fps, then you're either just started playing videogames or you are a casual player that doesn't really give a shit

I have noticed 60fps mainly in fighting games and have never played a 30fps fighting game to compare so naturally you won't know the advantage as there is no 30fps fighter to compare to. I have also noticed COD plays way smoother in comparison to other
shooters in the 36p gen due to it being 60fps. However because it wasn't common with games having 30fps/60fps options with console gaming I have never noticed the importance in action games until now. For the first time I can directly choose and compare 30fps to 60fps in the same game and tell the difference. As a person who doesn't game on PC I usually don't get an option to notice the difference.

Excess

I remember when this was a huge selling point for purchasing COD over Battlefield, but eventually even Battlefield went 60 FPS on console. I think Battlefield 4 finally changed that.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sorry I guess I'm a casual gamer, I have other life commitments and hobbies apologies I can't go hardcore for you guys to be an expect gaming expert who should have known the advantage of 60fps 2 decades ago.
Since you don't have a lot of time to game, why waste that time playing at 30?

JeloSWE

Welcome to the club.

People laugh at Returnal being 1080p but I bet it looks glorious in motion. Not that I would know 😭
Easily one of the best games in terms of responsive controls and extremely fun game play I've enjoyed in ages and the game is designed and built around 60fps from the start which makes it look gorgeous despite it's sometimes basic meshes and textures.

As a PC gamer, sometimes I WISH 30fps didn't bother me so much. Would definitely save me a lot of money on upgrades, and a lot of time optimising settings. I really do envy the 30fps crowd. But alas, 60fps is a demanding mistress that I cannot game without.

yamaci17

As a PC gamer, sometimes I WISH 30fps didn't bother me so much. Would definitely save me a lot of money on upgrades, and a lot of time optimising settings. I really do envy the 30fps crowd. But alas, 60fps is a demanding mistress that I cannot game without.
rivatuner 30 fps lock (most important step. if this produces odd frametime issues, revert to driver level framelimiters instead for that particular game or ingame limiters as a last resort) + a little bit of motion blur (not necessary) + making sure gpu is not at %99 usage (tune your settings in a way to limit the gpu usage to %80-85) and preferably a gamepad (for the best experience)

it may still not work for you, so no promises!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

1080p isn't bad. I still watch lots of movie content in 1080p still. 1440p however is better. And 2160p isn't much better than 1440p on my devices. I can't see the difference between them on my 55 OLED which i'm like 8-9 foot away from. And I can't see it on my 24 inch monitor which is ofcourse very close up. So for me its a no brainer if there is a choice between 4k/30 or 1440p/60.

1080p/60 I might still prefer, because 30fps is just worse experience. In the end resolution is easier to get used to than framerate I think. I had absolutely zero issues beating the shit out of Prey and Alien Isolation on the fucking Series S on 60fps which are based on lower resolution One S versions.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I run most of my games on 1080p 165hz, and get about 100-300 fps, depending on the game.

edit: on my PC, consoles run 1080p/60fps, i don't care for 4k gaming yet.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Lol not sure what you are talking about. The main reason is now the hardware is good enough for having 60fps and still have decent gfx. As long as there is option for both I do not see the problem. With improved technology we are going to see 60fps and 120fps option next gen with HDMI 2.1 being standard in next 5yrs and VR getting popular.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

I finally got a 1440p 165hz IPS. Haven't hooked it up yet, but i've never played anything over 60hz. Looking forward to it.

Now if i could just find a GPU upgrade so i can run high settings and high framerate.

Armorian

Banned
I finally got a 1440p 165hz IPS. Haven't hooked it up yet, but i've never played anything over 60hz. Looking forward to it.

Now if i could just find a GPU upgrade so i can run high settings and high framerate.

You will notice huge difference on desktop in like ~0.01 seconds

GloveSlap

You will notice huge difference on desktop in like ~0.01 seconds
Sweet. What's the best way to see how many frames i'm getting in games if i have an Nvidia GPU? Is there like a sweeping overlay you can activate or is it in the options of each game? Sorry, huge pc gaming noob here.

Javthusiast

Banned
Welcome
Joining Welcome Home GIF

rivatuner 30 fps lock (most important step. if this produces odd frametime issues, revert to driver level framelimiters instead for that particular game or ingame limiters as a last resort) + a little bit of motion blur (not necessary) + making sure gpu is not at %99 usage (tune your settings in a way to limit the gpu usage to %80-85) and preferably a gamepad (for the best experience)

it may still not work for you, so no promises!
Oh believe me I've tried. With rivatuner I got a a perfect flatline 33.3ms frametime graph with plenty of gpu headroom in the tank. But it still feels wrong. It LOOKS fine (cutscenes or any non interactive element) but as soon as I move the mouse, or the left stick, the lesser responsiveness and motion clarity hits me like a truck.

Armorian

Banned
Sweet. What's the best way to see how many frames i'm getting in games if i have an Nvidia GPU? Is there like a sweeping overlay you can activate or is it in the options of each game? Sorry, huge pc gaming noob here.

I use MSI afterburner with RTSS (it installs with it) but Nvidia GF Experience has build in performance osd (Alt+R), it's not bad

svbarnard

Banned
Another reason why people need to support higher frame rates instead of higher resolution is because the higher the frame rate the less motion blur you get on modern day flat panels such as LCD/OLED. Here's how to see what I'm talking about scroll your screen up and down and see if you can still read the text on screen, because you'll see that when you scroll up or down the text blurs to the point where you can't read it, that's motion blur (but if you were doing this on a CRT TV the text would not blur and would remain legible) I'm trying to raise awareness about this because before we moved to flat panel TVs we had the old CRT TVs which had essentially zero motion blur due to the way CRT TVs worked, whereas LCD/OLEDs have a lot of motion blur (and you'll notice it once it's pointed out to you) and the only way to reduce the motion blur on flat panel TVs is through higher frame rates. This might sound crazy but we're going to need 1,000fps@1,000Hz on flat panel TVs to get the same motion clarity as ye' old CRT TVs. So you would need to play a video game at 1,000fps on an LCD or OLED that is capable of displaying 1,000 frames per second (1,000Hz), in order to get the same motion clarity as a CRT TV.

I'm not speaking out my ass I'm actually telling the truth here this article is written by an expert on "display motion blur" if you want to really understand what I'm talking about read this https://blurbusters.com/blur-buster...000hz-displays-with-blurfree-sample-and-hold/

So yeah eventually we're all going to be gaming at 1,000 frames per second, it might take a few decades but we'll get there (here's the crazy part to have a perfect display with no noticeable motion blur to the human eye and no "stepping mouse effect" we're going to need 10,000 frames per second! Yes you heard that right, so in the end to have ultimate perfect displays we'll need 10,000fps and LCDs/OLEDs that have a refresh rate of 10,000Hz, that'll probably take 50 years or more from now but technology can move surprisingly fast so who knows it might happen sooner than that. Btw all the information I'm laying down here is learned from blurbusters.com I'm just the messenger.

One final thing, since it's hard to get your hands on a CRT TV to see what zero motion blur looks like, you can instead go buy a VR headset because modern day VR headsets have the same motion clarity as a CRT TV. VR uses a technique called "motion blur reduction" to eliminate motion blur. Motion blur was so noticeable in the early Oculus rift prototypes that it nearly threatened to destroy the whole project, you see any VR headset is using an OLED screen and of course OLEDs naturally have a ton of motion blur (because of the way flat panel TVs work they have a lot of motion blur) which is super noticeable in VR. So what they do is they strobe the backlight in unison with the frame rate, so if it's 90fps then the VR screen's backlight will flash 90 times per second and believe it or not this eliminates motion blur. In fact all VR headsets use this motion blur reduction technique. So there's essentially no motion blur in VR which is why I believe VR is the future!!!!!

When it says sample and hold displays it's referring to LCDs/OLEDs. This shows you the higher the frame rate the less motion blur.

rezyDq4.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If anything, new ratched solidified that good 30fps can be good.
4k looks amaizing on tv up close (like I play) and it's 30fps is responsive. More responsive than Demons souls 30fps. Almost as good as bloodborne 30fps but not quite.
I think the motion blur is so excellent it really helps with 30fps look and feel. Do not disable it people. even at 60fps. 60fps is not enough to have instant shutter speed.

And yes. I have 4k120 oled, had 240hz gsync monitor, 144hz monitors, crt's... everything.
People who say "once you go 144hz you can never go back" are full of shit. It's all in a brain. it's all a matter of perspective. Your brain will take 30 minutes to adjust to 30fps but you will forget about it. To speed up this process (really, this works), limit the gme to 20 or 24 fps.... play for 5 minutes. When you unlock to 30fps, it will feel like butter.
It's all a matter of brain and pov. If some people are to stubborn to be happy, it's their miserabe lives.

of course some games 30fps are utterly laggy like Demons Souls. It is better after you tweak controls but they have some fd up vsync or something there
edit: to add -going back to bloodborne and shitty aliased 1080p hurts much more than it's 30fps.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Get 144hz
Get low as possible MS in games which means as high as possible framerate.
Get a screen with no motion blur or barely any
Get a screen with low MS
Have a game without piss filters like motion blur or other garbage stuff that blurs your screen out.
Having access to a mouse instead of those janky as shit joysticks.
Gsync, to remove any tearing without performance impact.

U got PC gaming.

Console gaming has big jumps to make still.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
If anything, new ratched solidified that good 30fps can be good.
4k looks amaizing on tv up close (like I play) and it's 30fps is responsive. More responsive than Demons souls 30fps. Almost as good as bloodborne 30fps but not quite.
I think the motion blur is so excellent it really helps with 30fps look and feel. Do not disable it people. even at 60fps. 60fps is not enough to have instant shutter speed.

And yes. I have 4k120 oled, had 240hz gsync monitor, 144hz monitors, crt's... everything.
People who say "once you go 144hz you can never go back" are full of shit. It's all in a brain. it's all a matter of perspective. Your brain will take 30 minutes to adjust to 30fps but you will forget about it. To speed up this process (really, this works), limit the gme to 20 or 24 fps.... play for 5 minutes. When you unlock to 30fps, it will feel like butter.
It's all a matter of brain and pov. If some people are to stubborn to be happy, it's their miserabe lives.

of course some games 30fps are utterly laggy like Demons Souls. It is better after you tweak controls but they have some fd up vsync or something there
edit: to add -going back to bloodborne and shitty aliased 1080p hurts much more than it's 30fps.
Yo! get on your computer (you can do this on your smartphone too) and scroll the screen up and down at a somewhat moderate pace and see if you can still read the text? Because you won't be able to because of motion blur. But if you were to do this on one of the old CRT TVs you'd still be able to read the text just fine! Yeah according to the great John Carmack he never really noticed motion blur on LCDs & OLEDs till he put on a one of the early VR headset prototypes that's when he really noticed the motion blur that comes inherent with flat panel displays, this was in the early days of designing the first Oculus rift prototypes, motion blur was so bad and so noticeable it ruined the experience so they had to find a way to reduce it, which they did, they strobe the backlight of the screen with each frame rate which does the trick https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

So I have a regular TCL 1080p 60Hz TV and it's super easy to notice the motion blur in a video game whether it's 30 FPS or 60 FPS, just simply pan around real quick and you'll notice everything smudges. Just move the camera back and forth really quick and you'll notice everything becomes a blurry mess. Yes there is motion blur in real life but flat panel TVs have an extra amount of motion blur. But higher frame rates reduces this motion blur.

KAL2006

Banned
I created this thread when I started Spiderman Remastered after finishing God of War and Ratchet Renake in 60fps. I wasn't used to Spiderman fidelity 30fps after playing God of War and Ratchet in 60fps. I assumed maybe it's because Spiderman is such as fast paced game swinging around the city. Anyways I have now finished Spiderman with all the DLC in 60fps RT mode. Now I hage started Control and selected 30fps. With a game like Control I always assumed I would like fidelity mode due to it pushing RT, and it being more of a cinematic style game. But again I have the same issue, 30fps just looks stutery I think I am officially fucked I cannot play games in 30fps anymore. Maybe playing 3 games in a row in 60fps and too much 60fps just makes it impossible to go back. But here I am playing Control at 60fps. Now I am worried when the cross gen phase is over for this gen and if games will start having 30fps only option selectable I maybe screwed and have go jump on the PC master race

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I created this thread when I started Spiderman Remastered after finishing God of War and Ratchet Renake in 60fps. I wasn't used to Spiderman fidelity 30fps after playing God of War and Ratchet in 60fps. I assumed maybe it's because Spiderman is such as fast paced game swinging around the city. Anyways I have now finished Spiderman with all the DLC in 60fps RT mode. Now I hage started Control and selected 30fps. With a game like Control I always assumed I would like fidelity mode due to it pushing RT, and it being more of a cinematic style game. But again I have the same issue, 30fps just looks stutery I think I am officially fucked I cannot play games in 30fps anymore. Maybe playing 3 games in a row in 60fps and too much 60fps just makes it impossible to go back. But here I am playing Control at 60fps. Now I am worried when the cross gen phase is over for this gen and if games will start having 30fps only option selectable I maybe screwed and have go jump on the PC master race
The poverty CPU of last gen consoles made it extremely difficult to have 60 fps modes because it wasn't capable of running the game logic at that framerate. I would bet the entire gen will have 60 fps modes to go along with more graphically intense 30 fps modes.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I went and had a look back at the backwards compatibility list of PS4 games that don't have unlocked framerate. Luckily the list of games that are locked at 30fps are not massive. There are some big titles I will just have to play in 30fps as they are exclusives such as Uncharted Lost Legacy and Bloodborne.

Luckily so far most ps5 native games have performance mode options and I'm hoping this is the norm even if I have to play in 1080p which I don't mind.

KAL2006

Banned
I've read somewhere if the size of the zTV is large and your viewing distance is close to the TV lower framerates look worse. Maybe that's why I'm having the issue as I bought s 65inch TV when I purchased my PS5 and sit quite close to it.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Whats funny is that older games on PS2 used to have 60fps

Then somehow the norm became 30 for long while

I guess the 360/PS3 couldn't do both resolution and framerate?

MrFunSocks

Banned
30fps isn't "stuttery", come on lol.

As with most things, you need a balance. I'd rather play a FPS at 60fps 1080p than at 30fps 4K. A slower paced action adventure game though? Nah, 4K 30fps with all the bells and whistles. A racing game? 60fps for sure.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Preach it brother. A man with a 144hz ultrawide is like flash gordon to a snail in a FPS. Once you've tried aiming with refresh rates/frames that high, you are spoiled forever lol.

Fredrik

I've read somewhere if the size of the zTV is large and your viewing distance is close to the TV lower framerates look worse. Maybe that's why I'm having the issue as I bought s 65inch TV when I purchased my PS5 and sit quite close to it.
Yeah the game world move a larger distance between each frame, creating more noticable stutter. On a portable 30fps isn’t gamebreaking but on a projector the game needs to be slow to look okay in motion. MS Flight Sim is one of few games that looks alright on a projector even at 30fps, and it’s really slow.
It’s probably why people thought Ocarina of Time was playable at 17/20fps back in the day. Most had tiny TVs.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Yes, the games fluidity during motion makes for a much better visual experience than merely increasing the pixels could ever do.
PS; turn motion blur off whenever possible.

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah the game world move a larger distance between each frame, creating more noticable stutter. On a portable 30fps isn’t gamebreaking but on a projector the game needs to be slow to look okay in motion. MS Flight Sim is one of few games that looks alright on a projector even at 30fps, and it’s really slow.
It’s probably why people thought Ocarina of Time was playable at 17/20fps back in the day. Most had tiny TVs.

Damn I had a feeling I went too big with my TV. I have a 65 inch and only sitting just over 2 metres away. I actually think it's the size that is making it worse I went from a 43 inch to a 65 inch when I bought my PS5.

Top Bottom