• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am now a believer of higher framerate over resolution

SpokkX

Good - 30fps has always been bad. Remember playing n64 and being shocked at the awful framerates compared to snes and mostly pc

resolution is so overrated - looking good in a still image is not nearly as important as looking/feeling good in motion. Games are played in motion after all

KAL2006

Banned
30fps isn't "stuttery", come on lol.

As with most things, you need a balance. I'd rather play a FPS at 60fps 1080p than at 30fps 4K. A slower paced action adventure game though? Nah, 4K 30fps with all the bells and whistles. A racing game? 60fps for sure.

Any game that requires camera controls which is 99 percent of the games I play isncrap in 30fps. Something like the old resident evil games, God of war games with fixed camera angles wouldn't bother me if they were 30fps.

Shubh_C63

Ofcourse fps is king. I have been playing destiny only because it runs around 80-90 fps on my laptop. Just watching the UI doing its thing is a delight.

Esppiral

Good - 30fps has always been bad. Remember playing n64 and being shocked at the awful framerates compared to snes and mostly pc

resolution is so overrated - looking good in a still image is not nearly as important as looking/feeling good in motion. Games are played in motion after all
Not the best example, most N64 games run between 15-20 FPS lol

KAL2006

Banned
I think another reason why I don't mind lower resolution with high framerates my Sony TV has a decent upscaler, I've played a few Switch games on it and even 1080p content looks crisp on it.

RafterXL

Depends. My absolute minimum on PC is 1440p/60 fps. After that resolution is more important to me than higher framerate.

Denton

30fps isn't "stuttery", come on lol.
On 60hz screen, when camera panning, it very much is. One missing frame on every refresh makes the image inherently stuttery.
Not saying games are unplayable at 30, but they are unpleasant, when playing on large TV or monitor.

I hope 30 will be ok on 7" screen of Steam Deck though.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

got:
9900k 5,2ghz 8/16 core cpu
3080 rtx
32gb of ram

1080p all day every day at ultra settings + getting as close to 144hz as possible and with RT being a thing, 1440p or 4k is not even remotely on my radar. Until we get way faster gpu's.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Welcome to the family son
( I too wasn’t bothered until PS4 got games like TLOU, Sleeping Dogs and MGS in 60fps over the PS3 versions )

Topher

Gold Member
On PC, I lower my resolution scale down as much as I need from 4K to get to 60 fps. Usually 70 to 80 percent does the trick. I don't notice the difference in resolution nearly as much as frame rate.

SpokkX

Not the best example, most N64 games run between 15-20 FPS lol
True - but even the "smooth" ones such as Mario 64 were only 30fps.. the era of 30 fps at BEST on console truly began on N64. Hopefully this gen brings back 60fps as standard across the board - so far it looks really good in that area

I think 40fps high rez like the new ratchet mode is probably going to be pretty good.

In movies high framerate gives me a sense of depth perception, but I also get similar from very high resolutions too. With the high resolution of newer systems I've not gotten as much impact from high framerate.

Of course one of the interesting things about 3d glasses is that they can give an even greater sense of depth than real life at certain settings. Too bad 3d became a fad and went away.

MrFunSocks

Banned
On 60hz screen, when camera panning, it very much is. One missing frame on every refresh makes the image inherently stuttery.
Not saying games are unplayable at 30, but they are unpleasant, when playing on large TV or monitor.

I disagree.

I’ve had a similar experience.

I was always used to 30 FPS on PS4, and when I got my hands on the PS5 I decided to go through a backlog of games I didn’t get to play or ones which I wanted to play again, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Final Fantasy. oh yeah and Spiderman Remastered

The 60 FPS experience is truly transformative, especially when it comes to combat and action scenarios, everything just feels so much more intuitive and fluid.

I’m honestly struggling to back to 30 FPS because it looks so sluggish. Which is strange because I was playing 30 FPS for years without any issues.

I really hope devleopers can optimise games for a 60 FPS experience, it’s crazy how Insomniac have managed to pull it off with ray-tracing. The RT performance mode on Spiderman is just insane, especially the visuals. (DF can nitpick on the low res RT reflections all they want but it’s not even noticeable during gameplay).

RafterXL

Everyone is different, but this is 100% my experience, even worse if it's on an OLED. GoW @ 30 fps on a C1 makes me want to vomit. The instantaneous response and lack of motion blur, which are normally positives, make 30 fps games feel like shit.

It's funny because televisions are finally showing the cracks in 30 fps like monitors have always done. The better the tv, the more obvious the flaws at low fps.

yamaci17

i play most of my fps games at 120/144 fps. yet i've no trouble playing them at 60 fps as well

and lastly, i still have no trouble adjusting to 30 fps in a tps game. dunno, i never became those people that cannot "go back" to 30 fps. its still very much playable for me even tho im mostly playing 60/120 fps games

i guess it depends on person and expectations. 30 fps is not stuttery to me, its still good , very good. i would only escape from 30 fps for an FPS game. outside of that, everything is green. but even when everything is considered, i enjoyed cyberpunk with a 40 fps lock bcoz thats what my hardware was capable of. its a really big step up from 30 fps though

KAL2006

Banned

I tested if 30fps on a portable is noticeable on my Switch. Tried Breath of the Wild which I think is 30fps on switch in handheld mode and it was actually not bad. So I think the main culprit it the combination of 30fps played on a larger screen while sitting close.

sunnysideup

Banned
I dont care about 30fps as long as its locked without judder, hitches and what not.

Ill take 30fps locked over an average framerate of 63,5fps.

yamaci17

its not stutter, its judder. both are different things

u get judder effect due to duplicate frames every 2 refresh. its not a stutter per se

u can actually notice judder effect in 24 fps movies. especially when they pan the camera. that's why movies do not pan the camera all the time, bcoz it creates a horrible judder effectr

judder effect can be mostly beaten by motion blur. u can reduce the juddery feeling with motion blur, but the actual downside is usually the input lag due to each frame being rendered 33.ms intervals

Denton

its not stutter, its judder. both are different things
semantics, and as far as I know nobody defined these terms scientifically, but I get your meaning
judder effect can be mostly beaten by motion blur. u can reduce the juddery feeling with motion blur, but the actual downside is usually the input lag due to each frame being rendered 33.ms intervals
The only game with motionblur that makes 30fps somewhat decent that I ever played is Driveclub...but it would still feel vastly better to play at 60

If only Sony let Codemasters Cheshire port it to PC..

Last edited:
You guys are all peasants. I only play games at 16K and about 5 billion FPS.

I'm currently emulating Dragon Warior 1 on the NES and it's a sight to behold at this resolution. You can almost smell the grass, the flowers and the dragons. I may post some screenshots later (if you can handle them)

Top Bottom