• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

I am re-watching 90s Action movies and they are leagues ahead of movies released in 2010s

SafeOrAlone

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
The Matrix is a good one.

Seems a lot of it's ideas came from Morrison's "The Invisibles" and maybe Frank Miller's Ronin comics, but it still original.

Reactions: SlimySnake
Sep 24, 2021
Woodsboro
90's action had a certain vibe about them. I feel like Face/Off is perhaps one of the best examples. It's just a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and has huge bankable stars at the time (Travlota and Cage)

You even have one of the characters using golden guns. I think a lot of action movies these days just miss out on the fun factor.

Tschumi

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2020
OP you've only dipped ur toes in the well... in the kinda brackish, uninspired end of the well at that... keep goin' mate... i recommend Clear and Present Danger for one yay

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
90's action had a certain vibe about them. I feel like Face/Off is perhaps one of the best examples. It's just a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and has huge bankable stars at the time (Travlota and Cage)

You even have one of the characters using golden guns. I think a lot of action movies these days just miss out on the fun factor.

Yeah, everything feels too serious nowadays (Mad Max). Or too jokey. (Avengers)

I also really liked Gone in 60 seconds. Which came out in 2000. Still had that feel of a 90s movie.

Reactions: negator2vc

SantaC

Jun 11, 2004
Here are some good suggestions to watch from 90s:

Broken Arrow
Under siege
Shanghai Noon
Snatch
12 monkeys

bob_mugabe

Neo Member
Jun 4, 2020
Less CGI meant the writers and directors had to be more creative with the sets, the costumes and the cinematography.

Action movies also used to be more fun overall. Since the mid 2000, writers seem obsessed with morals and high-school level philosophy which is a good formula to produce boring scripts and moronic dialogs.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Because most of them were rated R. You can expect a lot of cursing and maybe even some bare titles.

These days it's just sterilized CGI fests. With some exceptions like John Wick.