• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am unironically loving Breath of wild more than skyrim

fart town usa

Gold Member
I most definitely call this game a running simulator. I recently started playing it for the first time and I almost permanently shelved the game, never to be touched again.

You spend so much time traveling so far and running over the place, only to hit a road blocks. Most of my game sessions are spent just running around. I felt like i was wasting my life away playing video games after doing a few 2 hour game sessions and all i did was mostly run around.

Now, Im really liking the game and understanding the whole game design. Its just a super long game with a lot of down time in it. I'm hoping that my travels will unravel into something that feels like actual game progression.

And I can't stand weapons breaking btw....
Yea, it legit took me like 30-40 hours before the game finally clicked and I was at a point where I didn't worry about breaking weapons or stamina. It was definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had but the game is definitely a grind for first-time players. I had to take like a 2 month break from it and even when I came back, wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. Glad I did though.

SeraphJan

BotW really tried something new with all the different abilities. And I like the none sequential nature of the game with its amazing physics.

But I still prefer the classic Zelda, where the experience is more focused

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Still like BotW better but yeah, shitty loot and lack of proper dungeons are my 2 biggest issues with the game.

With that said loot in Skyrim is pretty shitty too. If you get into blacksmithing you can make 99% of the loot you find through quests and exploration irrelevant

I had a Skyrim play through where the only thing I stole or looted was brooms, and I took every broom I could find in the game. When I was done playing I went to a cave and dropped every single one of the brooms in the cave. It caused my game to crash because there were too many objects. If I go back into the cave my game locks up. BotW can suck it.

SeraphJan

And another thing I dislike about the game is the disposable weapon system they "Copied" from Dead Rising series.

But I guess they will stick to the new direction since its so successful, I just hope they will still release classic style Zelda alongside with it.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

For me both Nintendo and Bethesda are pretty consistent with their game quality, there is some black sheep once a while from both brand, but the overall quality is good. I can't remember the last time I played a bad Bethesda game either.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's nice. I'm unironically loving Pokemon Legends:Arceus far, far more than BOTW. I like Skyrim more too. Much more to do in both games than BOTW.
I am considering buying arceus. So far, I am occupied with BOW, HFW, and upcoming elden rings. Might buy it next month.

LordOfChaos

You're allowed to

I have a weird relationship with it. When I was doing the primary campaign found it a bit of a chore, I was hunting for a story but there wasn't much in there, and when you had no stamina and things the climbing could be a frustration.

But then pandemic happened and I revisited it to play the DLC, and I had a lot more fun with it. I think pandemic forced me to play it the way it was meant to be played - not hunting for a goal, but just taking your time, free roaming, having fun with it. I eventually came around to liking the game playing this way. Especially with the four faster refreshing champion powers tbh, because I could double jump to the near of most mountains, and tbh I'm the kind of guy who added infinite stamina to Skyrim so I could run everywhere.

Curious how I'll find 2 if they start you off at nothing again

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Steel weapons don't break on flesh and bone unless perhaps extremely rusted beyond belief. Ever. It's a stupid concept even in game worlds.
They break, if you use enough forces on tough enemies. Its why old people maintained their blades after war.
BOW monsters might have tough skins, like leather jacket. Which impacts the durability of the weapon.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Um okay? Not really a weird opinion

BOTW was a good proof of concept, but like suffered from a lack of story, dungeons, items that other zeldas had. And while having a great open world playground, it still fell into the usual open world growing pains of a lack of enemy variety, shrine variety, and lots of repetitive content in general.

I suspect BOTW2 to be the masterpiece everyone claims BOTW was now that the engine is already done.

God of War is another game that people claim to be a masterpiece this generation, but I dont think it will be until the sequel for similar reasons.

It has it tho... It's just that some people don't like how they're implemented, but story is for me one of the things I liked the most combined with the surrounding universe of the game

kingfey

Banned
You're allowed to

I have a weird relationship with it. When I was doing the primary campaign found it a bit of a chore, I was hunting for a story but there wasn't much in there, and when you had no stamina and things the climbing could be a frustration.

But then pandemic happened and I revisited it to play the DLC, and I had a lot more fun with it. I think pandemic forced me to play it the way it was meant to be played - not hunting for a goal, but just taking your time, free roaming, having fun with it. I eventually came around to liking the game playing this way.

Curious how I'll find 2 if they start you off at nothing again
That was my experience too. At first gameplay, I was lost. Didn't know what to do. Wondered around, and stopped playing.
Picked up yesterday, and went to roam around. Slowly, I understood the game by taking my time.
Its why I appreciate it. It let's me do my own thing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
BotW is a great sand box and it does really make you want to explore every nook and cranny you come across.

Skyrim is the better open world, side quests and story though. Probably game play too.

I’d say Skyrim/Witcher 3 and BotW are the three top open world games I’ve ever played but Elden Ring is probably going to spear the three of them.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
BotW is a great sand box and it does really make you want to explore every nook and cranny you come across.

Skyrim is the better open world, side quests and story though. Probably game play too.

I’d say Skyrim/Witcher 3 and BotW are the three top open world games I’ve ever played but Elden Ring is probably going to spear the three of them.

I agree with this perspective. Looking at BotW as a sandbox game it is pretty good. I also feel that, as an open world game with a huge story, Skyrim is superior to BotW. Skyrim has so many choices, quests, and dialogue options that blow BotW out of the water.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I enjoy both for different things, Breath of the wild's gameplay is almost perfection, while Skyrim (and Bethesda games) make me feel like I'm part of the world/narrative.

Kuranghi

They might can me, if I do it.
They fired someone for not putting a mask on, while management were walking without a mask.

I know man only joking ofc.

Are you in the US? In the UK you can say "I have a medical exemption", they aren't allowed to ask you to prove it. I think you can be fined for not wearing one in Scotland but you'd really have to act like a complete nob end to have that happen to you.

I have an exemption but I just wear it anyway or else I would lose 20% of my customers, plus a not small amount of them are 70+ so I do it out of respect for them in the rare chance I would pass it to them.

Pejo

In a few years retrospect, I can say it would have been one of my favorite games of all time with 3 changes.

-Destructable weapon system is ass. No excuse, it doesn't make the game better or "more adaptable", it's just trash. Even the god damn master sword """"breaks"""". Idiotic.
-Better rewards for Shrines
-More actual dungeons instead of the 4 and a half that we got.

As it is, I enjoyed my time with it, but I doubt I will ever replay it. I hope the sequel fixes these issues.

Dr Bass

Is that supposed to be an edgy statement or something? I think BotW is a much better game than Skyrim. I like both but Skyrim is ... a bit dry. Not sure how else to describe it.

kingfey

Banned
I know man only joking ofc.

Are you in the US? In the UK you can say "I have a medical exemption", they aren't allowed to ask you to prove it. I think you can be fined for not wearing one in Scotland but you'd really have to act like a complete nob end to have that happen to you.

I have an exemption but I just wear it anyway or else I would lose 20% of my customers, plus a not small amount of them are 70+ so I do it out of respect for them in the rare chance I would pass it to them.
They relaxed the mask policy now.
Its just that the management doesn't us as nothing but replaceable.
Most of old farts left the company, due to management changes.
I have to be very careful, not tick them of.

S0ULZB0URNE

The best thing I love from that game, is the trial section. Those are soo good. The stamina climbing is top notch. The durability of the weapons' makes me try all kind of weapons'.

Great game. 10/10.
Yup it's better than Skyrim as is The Witcher 3.
It's legendary but without Dungeons it's not a 10/10 sorry.

Lognor

Banned
I agree with this perspective. Looking at BotW as a sandbox game it is pretty good. I also feel that, as an open world game with a huge story, Skyrim is superior to BotW. Skyrim has so many choices, quests, and dialogue options that blow BotW out of the water.
It depends on what you're looking for. You could use that argument for 99% of games out there compared to Skyrim. Skyrim has more choices, quests, dialogue etc. than almost every other game out there. So Skyrim blows everything out of the water? Is that how it works?

fart town usa

Gold Member
By that logic, WiiU is better than the PS4, Followed by he N64 off course.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
skyrim was always trash.
morrowind's title screen music was better than the entirety of skyrim.
Curious why you feel that way about Skyrim. I'm largely clueless on the differences with how the older games operated, and I've only recently started to play Skyrim on PSVR, had only played an hour or so when it first released on the PS3.

I also had Morrowwind for the XBOX (years after the fact) but man, it was hard to play in 2011, didn't put much time into it. I'm assuming the PC version was infinitely better.

Filben

They're so different and it's not even close. One is an ARPG and the other one an action adventure. The only thing they have in common is open world.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Curious why you feel that way about Skyrim. I'm largely clueless on the differences with how the older games operated, and I've only recently started to play Skyrim on PSVR, had only played an hour or so when it first released on the PS3.

I also had Morrowwind for the XBOX (years after the fact) but man, it was hard to play in 2011, didn't put much time into it. I'm assuming the PC version was infinitely better.
It's not trash, discard his opinion

R6Rider

Gold Member

Morrowind is among my favorite games of all time and even I have to admit that it has aged like shit. Even with mods, it's hard to get into now.

As for the topic, Skyrim > BotW by a large margin.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I loved both games, they are charming in their own ways, although Skyrim sucked me in way more i still loved how Breath of the Wild managed to keep me excited for 100+hours.
For me both get 5/5

Well, gameplay wise Skyrim doesn't hold a candle against Zelda but then again... so does Zelda compared to Skyrim when it comes to story and lore. I played both and love Skyrim to death. Breath of the Wild was a very good game too but I wish I could have liked it more. I mean, I saw the appeal and all but it just wasn't fully my thing. Shame...
I actually think Skyrim gameplay might be better, what hold Skyrim back is the physics, bugs and writing. Since its a RPG and it focuses on writing, having bad writing and forgettable characters was one of the main flaws of Skyrim, for example the whole main quest doesnt change and doesnt have branching paths. But it has other strengths unmatched by other games.
Gameplay for example in Skyrim is far richer and allows for more possibilities, you can play the sandbox in multiple different ways than BotW. The sheer amount of skills and things to do, from crafting to enchanting and smithing, to making interesting potions to use, speechcraft and stealth, different magic spells, fun daedric items, weird A.I interactions allows for a lot of replay value.
BotW lacks enemies, items, skills and ways to play in the gigantic open world compared to Skyrim.

Quezacolt

skyrim is a good game, it just never got me as much as oblivion did. finished the main quest and kinda put it aside. Doesnt help that when the game first came out, a friend gifted me the first xenoblade for the wii, and then i played skyward sword.

breath of the wild tho, i spent countless hours just exploring, seeing the world, trying to find new stuff, felt so different from most open world games that mark everything on your map.

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
I most definitely call this game a running simulator. I recently started playing it for the first time and I almost permanently shelved the game, never to be touched again.

You spend so much time traveling so far and running over the place, only to hit a road blocks. Most of my game sessions are spent just running around. I felt like i was wasting my life away playing video games after doing a few 2 hour game sessions and all i did was mostly run around.

Now, Im really liking the game and understanding the whole game design. Its just a super long game with a lot of down time in it. I'm hoping that my travels will unravel into something that feels like actual game progression.

You should try getting a horse, you can travel much faster and when you spot trouble leap off your saddle into a slow motion arrow attack, pretty epic. There’s limitations where your horse can go, but stick to the main roads and you can get 80% to where you’re trying to go by horse, climb/walk the rest of the way.

Iorveth

Banned
Um okay? Not really a weird opinion

BOTW was a good proof of concept, but like suffered from a lack of story, dungeons, items that other zeldas had. And while having a great open world playground, it still fell into the usual open world growing pains of a lack of enemy variety, shrine variety, and lots of repetitive content in general.

I suspect BOTW2 to be the masterpiece everyone claims BOTW was now that the engine is already done.

God of War is another game that people claim to be a masterpiece this generation, but I dont think it will be until the sequel for similar reasons.
God of War really doesn't do ANYTHING remotely worthy of being called a masterpiece. It's a decent game but the reception was an absolute joke.

I unironically loved running backwards flailing in combat in skyrim, the insane buggy and broken quest lines at release, and the recycled soulless algorithmic quests that pop up multiple times in a playthrough

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why "unironically"? It's a far better game. Sure, Skyrim is better/deeper in some ways (mainly the RPG aspects), but BotW is just so much more fun to play. And that trumps everything else. It's also a true open world game (or "open air" as Nintendo likes to call it), whereas Skyrim is far more limited in where you can go and what you can do.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I loved both games, they are charming in their own ways, although Skyrim sucked me in way more i still loved how Breath of the Wild managed to keep me excited for 100+hours.
For me both get 5/5

I actually think Skyrim gameplay might be better, what hold Skyrim back is the physics, bugs and writing. Since its a RPG and it focuses on writing, having bad writing and forgettable characters was one of the main flaws of Skyrim, for example the whole main quest doesnt change and doesnt have branching paths. But it has other strengths unmatched by other games.
Gameplay for example in Skyrim is far richer and allows for more possibilities, you can play the sandbox in multiple different ways than BotW. The sheer amount of skills and things to do, from crafting to enchanting and smithing, to making interesting potions to use, speechcraft and stealth, different magic spells, fun daedric items, weird A.I interactions allows for a lot of replay value.
BotW lacks enemies, items, skills and ways to play in the gigantic open world compared to Skyrim.
The thing about the writing in Skyrim and TES in general is that its more than just the main plots or questlines but the context in which they exist and the entire lore. The plot of killing Alduin in Skyrim isn‘t doing much in on itself for instance, it‘s the entire background of him that makes it special. True, you do have to do some reading to understand it, but this is just part of the writing and what really makes it shine. And you can apply this aspect on almost everything in the game world.

OldBoyGamer

Banned

So interesting how differently people view the systems and mechanics in this game - probably more than any other.

I used to love seeing the place on the horizon I had to reach and then spend the next half hour figuring out how to actually get there. This path has a cliff I couldn’t climb, that path had a river that was too wide for me to swim, a third path had a troll camp that looked a bit too hard for me to take on. Ah! Finally this little tail round the back gets me there. Or I found a section of the river that was narrow enough for me to cut down a tree and build a makeshift bridge to cross it. Or sometimes I’d go further back away from where I had to go to a much higher ground, jump off and glide to a cliff shelf that would then allow me to reach my goal.

It literally turned traversal and exploration into a mechanic for me. No other open world games have done that. And sure it did get frustrating every now and then when I just couldn’t figure it out. But even that was countered by the buzz of returning the following day and finding that path!

Xane

Same here!

BotW breathed fresh wind (no pun intended) into the Open World genre, I loved every minute of it and couldn't put it down once I started!

Skyrim's MMO-esque "kill X amount of Y" quests and comparatively stale world never appealed to me. I couldn't get myself to finish it and I feel like I must be the 0.01% with everybody else loving it.

kevm3

Everything come down to preference. Me personally, I tried hard to like BOTW but couldn't manage to do it. Nintendo gets praised for adding a system that people generally HATE in other games, which is the durability on weapons. The climbing is seen as 'innovative' and yet games like Assassin's Creed have been doing it long before BOTW. I guess the physics interaction was the best part about it? The dungeons weren't particularly interesting, no real story. The fact that the weapons only last a very short while made 'exploration' not feel that interesting since you weren't really rewarded with a cool weapon that would last.

ahtlas7

I don’t get the irony. These two games are not even in the same club, appealing to two different customers, with some overlap. Both are amazing games in their own right.

Notabueno

Banned
Well games have to judged within their context.

Within it's context Skyrim was one a kind maturation of Elder Scrolls but also one of the first well designed high-scale open-world.

Breath of the Wild is a master piece not only in game design and art direction but also a revolution in open-world design (that most gamers still don't seem to grasp).

Top Bottom