• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought a Wii Family Edition in 2021, and I feel fine

teezzy

Banned
promo-wii.png

You bet your bottom dollar I've homebrewed the heck out of it already

Everything looks gorgeous on my Trinitron via these Monster component cables I snagged for it. Might have to mod my PS2 and Xbox next - that'd be neat.

I'm going all digital, bb!!

Riley Reid GIF by Alissandra

Almost got myself one of those Raspberry Pies (mmmm... pie) but decided I'd rather have access to Wii/GCN and I already had a red Wii remote + nunchuck and a modded Tatsunoko vs Capcom fight stick - so why the heck not

Already had a modded PSP and 3DS, and a decent PC rig, but there's something special about playing the games in my living room. The classic controller and classic controller pro are both comfy and translate well for older games - the original classic controller even has analog triggers for those pesky GCN titles.

I sorta like making hardware do things that it's not supposed to do. There's a weird thrill to it. Like I'm getting away with something.

I can''t believe there's support and private servers for like the Weather app or even the Everybody Votes channel in 2021. Plus, you can still play a lot of games online - which is nuts!

There's even heavily modded versions of Mario Kart and Smash Bros with custom race tracks and rosters with like Spongebob, Ronald McDonald, and Peter Griffin and stuff - I'm gonna have to look into that :coffee:

Seriously, I'm having so much fun with this dumb thing - glad I went with this Wii instead of a Pi, Switch, XSX, or PS5 - cheaper too! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Time for Golden Sun and Xenoblade! Ciao for now!!

Please list some Wii favorites in the comments below

DONT FORGET TO SLAM THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON!!! :messenger_angry:

teezzy

Banned
For a moment there, I thought you got one of these.

zs2bhGG.png

Lmao i think that was Wii Mini? Have not seen that in years lol

I just got this one because it looked very clean and came with a Wii Fit bundle. Only save files were Wii Fit, Zumba, and New Super Mario Bros... so I'm just gonna assume this wasn't played too much . It now has a very happy home

I don't really need the GCN Disc drive or controller ports so it was win/win

teezzy

Banned
Wait.. is that channel with the questions still working online?

Yeah all the channels are, sans YouTube and Netflix due to their proprietary nature. There's private servers for the rest and even online multi-player in the titles which support it

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Should have gone with the Wii U tbh. Wii U can play literally every single Nintendo system up to the Wii U and all the 8/16/32- bit era games as well.

Regardless, modded Wii is super fun and has a lot of really cool things you can do with it.

Rat Rage

teezzy you fool! How could you buy the damn family edtion, which doesn't come with gamecube support! The family editon is for noobs / the uninitiated!

Ceadeus

That's an awesome choice. Going old school feels relieving. It's stress free and let's be real. Gaming back then was different, simplier and better. No struggle with any subscription, minimal to no internet requirement.

teezzy

Banned
Should have gone with the Wii U tbh. Wii U can play literally every single Nintendo system up to the Wii U and all the 8/16/32- bit era games as well.

Regardless, modded Wii is super fun and has a lot of really cool things you can do with it.

I'm playing on a CRT 😠

teezzy you fool! How could you buy the damn family edtion, which doesn't come with gamecube support! The family editon is for noobs / the uninitiated!

I'm not wasting my money on GCN games/controllers 😠

Trimesh

Banned

You can still play GCN games on the Family edition, you just have to run them through Nintendont and use a controller adapter. There are no sockets for the memory cards, but Nintendont supports emulated cards anyway.

Hoddi

I did the same thing last year when I found a used B&O MX8000 online. I then got myself a Wii and RGB-Pi with SCART cables and I've had an absolute blast playing these old games.

It also doesn't hurt that the TV is stylish as hell.

Reactions: Isa

teezzy

Banned
I did the same thing last year when I found a used B&O MX8000 online. I then got myself a Wii and RGB-Pi with SCART cables and I've had an absolute blast playing these old games.

It also doesn't hurt that the TV is stylish as hell.

Whoa peep that stand

What make is that? Is that your crib?

Details please, new friend 🧐

Porcile

Definitely worth it for Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Sin and Punishment alone. The Wii had so many good games and it was such a dumb time in the industry with the whole hardcore vs casual argument.

teezzy

Banned
Definitely worth it for Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Sin and Punishment alone. The Wii had so many good games and it was such a dumb time in the industry with the whole hardcore vs casual argument.

I'm actually really excited to finally play Tatsunoko vs Capcom

I have the official stick, fully modded with Sanwa parts and had been using it for Tekken Tag 2 on Wii U, and eventually Tekken 7/Soul Calibur 6 on PC

There's so many gems I missed that I wanna explore

Even as just like a GBA, GCN, Wii, SNES machine it'll give me years of fun tbh

😎

Wii is a great emulator machine

the only negative is that Mame arcade classics dont seem to work properly

maybe they do but I haven't figured out how to get Terminator 2 arcade to work on it

This thread is making me want to disconnect my Wii from my 55 inch 4K TV and hook it up to my 32 inch CRT

Does it really improve the image that greatly?

teezzy

Banned
This thread is making me want to disconnect my Wii from my 55 inch 4K TV and hook it up to my 32 inch CRT

Does it really improve the image that greatly?

Yes, the games are designed with a CRT display in mind. It just looks right. The nostalgic fuzzies alone is worth hooking it up proper, especially if you have component cables and a 32". Heck, I even watch my 4:3 TV shows on CRTs. I'm biased maybe. There's an entire CRT subculture for a reason

nush

Gold Member
I'm playing on a CRT

Can do that with a WiiU. Not only that but you are missing out on the Super "MEGA" GBA that the Wii U gamepad provides. Wii great for what you want so not hating, but if you get a chance to upgrade, seriously do it.

Wii U owner here, that's how I played Tatsunoko vs Capcom finally just last year. It's a fucking epic exclusive. Enjoy my man.

Top Bottom