• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought a Wii Family Edition in 2021, and I feel fine

Birdo

Banned
The best Wii game is still exclusive:

51xBDG3htvL._SY445_.jpg

Hoddi

Whoa peep that stand

What make is that? Is that your crib?

Details please, new friend 🧐

Bang & Olufsen are a high-end brand here in Europe and the MX 8000 was pretty top of the line back in 2002-2006. They've become fairly common retrogaming TVs nowadays because nobody wants to throw away these expensive TVs.

I don''t have any good photos though and just found that one online. It's not as flattering in my cave :|

teezzy

Banned
Can do that with a WiiU. Not only that but you are missing out on the Super "MEGA" GBA that the Wii U gamepad provides. Wii great for what you want so not hating, but if you get a chance to upgrade, seriously do it.

Wii U owner here, that's how I played Tatsunoko vs Capcom finally just last year. It's a fucking epic exclusive. Enjoy my man.

I thought it only did HDMI out?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can do that with a WiiU. Not only that but you are missing out on the Super "MEGA" GBA that the Wii U gamepad provides. Wii great for what you want so not hating, but if you get a chance to upgrade, seriously do it.

Wii U owner here, that's how I played Tatsunoko vs Capcom finally just last year. It's a fucking epic exclusive. Enjoy my man.
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Red Steel sucked?

I remember hating Mad world... maybe I should revisit
The original Red Steel did, but the sequel is basically a completely different game and an awesome one.

I love the style of MadWorld, I also thought the controls added something (although not perfect). I am a sucker for Platnium Games though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
the Wii had a light gun shooter renaissance, so if you enjoy this type of games there is a lot to like here:

Sadly we never got TimeCrisis on the Wii. Huge missed opportunity. Some of those are also playable on the PS3 with Move (also great experience).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoddi

Not if you're into emulation you didn't. The Wii supports native 240p output while the Wii U only supports 480i over the analog connection. Most older games up to the Gamecube only ran at 240p (the source of the famous scanlines) so the Wii is the far better solution if you're into those games.

You still want to get a Wii U though because it's a freaking awesome system no matter what any fool says. It's by far my favorite Nintendo system because of how versatile it is once you've modded it. The only slight against it is that it doesn't support 240p because it would then be absolutely perfect.

teezzy

Banned
Not if you're into emulation you didn't. The Wii supports native 240p output while the Wii U only supports 480i over the analog connection. Most older games up to the Gamecube only ran at 240p (the source of the famous scanlines) so the Wii is the far better solution if you're into those games.

You still want to get a Wii U though because it's a freaking awesome system no matter what any fool says. It's by far my favorite Nintendo system because of how versatile it is once you've modded it. The only slight against it is that it doesn't support 240p because it would then be absolutely perfect.

Honestly, I'll probably snag one just for the bedroom eventually

I miss Tekken Tag 2 Wii U more than I thought I would. My favorite game on the platform

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Another game I really enjoyed back then was this:

I don't know if it holds up, but I liked it when I played it.

teezzy

Banned
Between this "retro" setup and my PC, I have so much to play 🤤

Tryna take it a couple games at a time or I'll never beat anything

Rn I'm bouncing between Fallout 3 and Golden Sun with a healthy dose of Tekken in between 🥰

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

First post

eric cartman GIF by South Park

Ey i got a Wii U like a couple days ago and I've done the same thing, weeeeeird.. have you got a CRT for it? Playing pre-hdmi console games on modern tv is soul crushinggggg
Only if you don't go the extra mile IMHO.

Despite having a fully modded gamecube with the digital port that I wired to that PCB solution for hdmi-out - the one with an on chip line doubling and CRT effect - and the drive mod to run swiss, etc, I still find myself using a Wii for my cube stuff with WiiU Pro controller over bluetooth, just by using a half decent component lead, and a decent component to hdmi converter - that runs off of usb power from the wii - this Missot one, that isn't available in the UK anymore.
Amazon.com: Component to HDMI Converter, MISOTT 1080P YPbPr to HDMI Converter, 5RCA RGB to HDMI Converter, Component Input HDMI Output Adapter: Electronics
71mpo2RjylL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wiring the wii this way puts it on par for colour and crispness to within hair splitting distance of the modded cube's hdmi, and cube's component lead - which I still own boxed and have meant to sell on for 10years :)

Using the component converter allows me to then plug in through my HT-nt3 soundbar which is pretty low latency with upscaling and the ability to expand and dither the colour range to look more like a modern rec709 hd output - Mario sunshine shows a big visual difference.

For any of my Wii stuff I still use the WiiU, because fake knock off wiimote plus work with wiiu, but don't work with wii.

Nintendo are such a backward company for not providing options for quality 3rd party wiimote plus and nunchucks; especially as they don't even make and sell their own anyone. It is like they've forgotten the console was 4 player for most party games and they sold ~100M consoles and released motion plus late with skyward sword (iirc), and is a good family experience with young gamers, and even WiiU needs motion plus for Nintendoland.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Only if you don't go the extra mile IMHO.

Despite having a fully modded gamecube with the digital port that I wired to that PCB solution for hdmi-out - the one with an on chip line doubling and CRT effect - and the drive mod to run swiss, etc, I still find myself using a Wii for my cube stuff with WiiU Pro controller over bluetooth, just by using a half decent component lead, and a decent component to hdmi converter - that runs off of usb power from the wii - this Missot one, that isn't available in the UK anymore.
Amazon.com: Component to HDMI Converter, MISOTT 1080P YPbPr to HDMI Converter, 5RCA RGB to HDMI Converter, Component Input HDMI Output Adapter: Electronics
71mpo2RjylL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wiring the wii this way puts it on par for colour and crispness to within hair splitting distance of the modded cube's hdmi, and cube's component lead - which I still own boxed and have meant to sell on for 10years :)

Using the component converter allows me to then plug in through my HT-nt3 soundbar which is pretty low latency with upscaling and the ability to expand and dither the colour range to look more like a modern rec709 hd output - Mario sunshine shows a big visual difference.

For any of my Wii stuff I still use the WiiU, because fake knock off wiimote plus work with wiiu, but don't work with wii.

Nintendo are such a backward company for not providing options for quality 3rd party wiimote plus and nunchucks; especially as they don't even make and sell their own anyone. It is like they've forgotten the console was 4 player for most party games and they sold ~100M consoles and released motion plus late with skyward sword (iirc), and is a good family experience with young gamers, and even WiiU needs motion plus for Nintendoland.
I tried that, believe me i tried all methods to get my ps2 to work. Gave up and got a ps3.. most of the best PS2 games were remade/hd on there, for me at least

PaintTinJr

I tried that, believe me i tried all methods to get my ps2 to work. Gave up and got a ps3.. most of the best PS2 games were remade/hd on there, for me at least
For a PS2 you would have probably needed the ps2 linux kit's sync on green D-sub25 vga port cable, and then an adapter from that to hdmi - assuming via modding you can force progressive scan mode on, or using a deinterlacer before passing to convert to hdmi.

The PS2, much like the cube is ultimately held back by the inconvenience of mutli-tap/no cheap wireless pad option. I've still got Bomberman Kart and would consider buying a an old PS3 with proper BC to revive some 4 player splitscreen with friends, but launch PS3 console reliability is just too much of a risk IMO

Tschumi

For a PS2 you would have probably needed the ps2 linux kit's sync on green D-sub25 vga port cable, and then an adapter from that to hdmi - assuming via modding you can force progressive scan mode on, or using a deinterlacer before passing to convert to hdmi.

The PS2, much like the cube is ultimately held back by the inconvenience of mutli-tap/no cheap wireless pad option. I've still got Bomberman Kart and would consider buying a an old PS3 with proper BC to revive some 4 player splitscreen with friends, but launch PS3 console reliability is just too much of a risk IMO
There's a limited edition mgs4 ps3 from 2007 in a second hand store near me (i live in Japan) I'm thinking of getting it, i guess it might have the ps2 inside it?

Yeah, i got to the point where i settled for hd remasters and dolphin rather than trying to arm wrestle these things into higher definition..

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
There's a limited edition mgs4 ps3 from 2007 in a second hand store near me (i live in Japan) I'm thinking of getting it, i guess it might have the ps2 inside it?

Yeah, i got to the point where i settled for hd remasters and dolphin rather than trying to arm wrestle these things into higher definition..
I might be wrong, but I think the PS2 guts were long gone by the time MGS4 rolled around

Tschumi

I might be wrong, but I think the PS2 guts were long gone by the time MGS4 rolled around
Actually, agonisingly, i looked it up after my last post and saw that it has software emulation that was removed by updates.. so unless the one I've found was never updated it won't have the required software! Poop!

teezzy

Banned
Welp, it's 2022 and I'm still enjoying my Wii quite a lot. Apart from my Series X... it probably gets the most playtime out of anything here in this house

Gotta say... having all these SNES and Genesis games so readily available on a big CRT is irreplaceable. I haven't even really bothered with any Wii Games other than Wii Fit which has been really funny actually

I forgot how insulting Wii Fit was. It's awesome

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot how insulting Wii Fit was. It's awesome
nothing better than a game saying you're unfit.

@Topic

shattered_memorieswii_esrv.jpg

639a51b38828b98d1f41256fb07bbc39.png

(side note, for this you need home-brew now, as it was a download only title)

Disaster_Day_of_Crisis.jpg

(this needs home-brew too if you live in the US)

81QRYxBF21L._SL1500_.jpg

Pandoras-tower.jpg

Rabbids-Go-Home_Wii_BXSHT_ESRB.jpg

(believe it or not, this game is great. its also not a mini game collection)

BlackTron

I can't even imagine a homebrewed Wii without GCN ports but I'm glad it worked out for someone. I especially need the GC pad for Game Boy games...the big A and B buttons are ideal for it.

Top Bottom