• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can no longer enjoy playing 30 fps games

Kyle8497

I have a Switch and a super-cheap GPU in my PC, so most games I own at the moment are ~30 FPS. I have a couple of PC games that I can run 60 FPS, but I am perfectly fine switching between the two. Honestly, I don't even think I would be able to notice a difference between 60 FPS and anything above that.

Last edited:

Quixz

Have been using a BenQ XL2420T (120hz) since 2012 for PC and Console have not had any problems with 30FPS games.

When playing console games I just accept that's how the game is made and doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Last edited:

Genio88

I have a gaming PC where i always play 120fps, but then i turn on my Switch and i play my 30fps 2017 goty Zelda BOTW

Hyperanium

Neo Member
I don't have a preference, but I can certainly see the appeal on having 60FPS over 30FPS.
I've been gaming with my laptop for a good 7-8 years, now considered low-spec by today's standards. Can't even run CS:GO without it dipping in gunfights, but after a while, you get used to the low framerate. I will say that for First Person Shooters, 60FPS does have its advantages, but for other genres of games, 30 FPS works fine for me.

Kagero

Naw. 30 is perfectly fine. Monster Hunter is 30fps. Enjoying this more than any 60 fps game. Frame rate doesn't make the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ironically I believe some games are better at 60fps and some at 30fps.
Everyone hates bad framerate drops so we are all in agreement in that respect.
But some games just look weird and very distracting at 60fps.
Take Shadow of the Colossus for example.
Given the PS2's version having such a bad framerate I thought playing it at 60fps would be a joy, but the framerate increase is extremely noticeable and the combination of movement and motion blurring makes it unplayable imo.

PSYGN

When you play 60FPS for hours and go to 30fps it's pretty jarring to me. Same goes the other way. I prefer 60fps in the end because it feels real time. I don't know how to explain it, it's just a lot more smoother of an experience especially in fast action games. But I enjoyed Destiny and it was 30fps. FPS isn't a deal breaker for me but can be a deal maker.

Last edited:

Droxcy

I have a hard time going back to console. I'm a PC player now with unlocked frames and my 144hz monitor. There's days when I feel like playing my Xbox One or PS4 , then I play a few matches and quickly get off. The tech advancement that has happened in the last few years is so amazing, coming from N64 and first console generations.

I would really like to try and get a PC so I can try out games like Fallout 4 and Evil Within in 60 fps. The problem is I thought you could get 60 fps in Fallout 4 on less than a 1000$ budget today. That doesn't seem to be the case since most of these graphics cards tests only care about how much FPS this and that game perform on Ultra High and on a cad costing the same as a PS4 you only get 30 FPS:ish. I'm only interested in what settings a certain graphics card can achieve in 60 FPS, why dosn't the tests stress on that?
Therefore I try to forget about 60 FPS heaven and live on with PS4 Pro. At least we got some games in 60 FPS such as Let It Die, and Dark Souls 2 and the upcoming remaster of Dark Souls.
Benchmarks aren’t about the scalability of a game. They’re for testing the GPU. The best way to do that is by putting as much stress on the GPU as possible, while minimising any CPU bottleneck.

As for Fallout 4, it runs perfectly fine on older GPUs. Even a 560Ti can manage 50-60FPS averages.
A pre built with a 1050Ti are almost always under £1000/$1000 which will run the game admirably at 1080p/60FPS with just a couple settings turned down.

I don't really have an issue with the frame rate. As long as it's stable and doesn't offer any kind of slow down, I really don't mind. Graphically I hate screen tearing and aliasing but if they need to drop from 60 frames per second to 30 for a smoother picture, I really don't mind.

Kagero

It makes a game playable or not. So, you’re wrong
You guys are spoiled lol. Been playing games since the 80's and the best games I've played have been 30 fps and under. I repeat again," frame rate does not make a game". Don't tell me I'm wrong. Just simply say you disagree.

You guys are spoiled lol. Been playing games since the 80's and the best games I've played have been 30 fps and under. I repeat again," frame rate does not make a game". Don't tell me I'm wrong. Just simply say you disagree.

Damn straight. Some of the best PS1 games of all time ran from 12-20 frames per second. Still amazing, still would pick up and play now.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Without reading back through all the comments I wanted to say I am not one of those people saying 30 fps makes a bad game.

I am saying 60 fps and even 120 fps and above make a game that much more enjoyable for me.

Kagero

Damn straight. Some of the best PS1 games of all time ran from 12-20 frames per second. Still amazing, still would pick up and play now.
Mah man! Exactly the same as you, and I enjoy them just as much if not more so then the Witcher 2 at 60 fps. Not discrediting those that say otherwise, but I still stick to the opinion that gamers nowadays are spoiled.

Tomeru

Nope, 30 fps is pretty bad for like ~10 minutes after playing 60 fps game but after that it's perfectly fine (I mean rock solid 30 fps with proper frame pacing).

Really now. Firing up destiny 2 on pc after playing it on ps4. Lets see you try defending that.

Its certainly playable at 30fps, but at 60 it makes te console version feel like you have a mining program and 100 tabs open in the browser while playing the game.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I know someone who can't go back to 60 after trying 120+ (144hz I think). Now imagine 30. Would be a slideshow for him.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know someone who can't go back to 60 after trying 120+ (144hz I think). Now imagine 30. Would be a slideshow for him.

I play way too many games, have all the latest gaming tech and I retired back in 2000 at the age of 34 and have spent a ton of time gaming especially the last 5 years or so so I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer and I can tell a huge difference between 60 to 120 fps.

My wife plays on pogo and is a very casual gamer but when I compared Fortnite on my Samsung 28" 4k running on the Xbox One X sitting side by side to my pc on a Samsung 27" 1440p 144hz HDR curved display running over 120 fps even she said "WOW, what a difference in how smooth that is" on my PC.

Anyone who has never actually played a game running triple digit FPS dont know what they are missing.

30 FPS with proper frame pacing can feel fine do most games, depending on genre.

Problem is many console games this gen have frame pacing issues that produce a janky mess at 30fps, most popular example is Bloodborne

GamingArena

Absolutely i been playing quake games for years at 250FPS and even new Quake Champions at 250Fps the input responsiveness and battery smooth feeling just blows away anything under 120fps coupled with 240hz screen its atrocious going back to 60FPS, 30FPS feels like Stop-motion animation, jerky, stuttery & unresponsive mess, who ever says different its delusional.

No need to even do anything else then just move mouse cursor around at 120-240fps and then switch to 30-60FPS its night and day difference right there period!

And yes you can get used to 30fps after 10-20min but saying it feels smooth and responsive its just lying to yourself

Armorian

Banned
Really now. Firing up destiny 2 on pc after playing it on ps4. Lets see you try defending that.

Its certainly playable at 30fps, but at 60 it makes te console version feel like you have a mining program and 100 tabs open in the browser while playing the game.

Based on this thread it depends on the person obviously. There is another thing, I wanted to edit my post you quoted but it was too late late to do that, specifically wanted to add that I wasn't talking about the same game. Jumping from (for example) 60 fps Witcher 3 on PC to PS4 version would be too much for me. But with no comparison, 30 fps version would have to be enough :)

Aenorin

Neo Member
My pet peeve with frame-rate goes even further than gaming alone. At work I use multiple 4k monitors each of those monitors has to run at 60fps else I really start to notice it. This has meant installing a better GPU within the PC I use, just to handle the 3 monitors. I have to note however that solid 30fps is doable but then it has to be rock solid 30fps with no dips nor spikes, since (sub 45fps) variable framerates are the worst in my opinion.

Another thing to note here would be that the type of game also influences my ability to handle lower frame rates. An FPS / Racing game for example with sub 60fps is a lot worse than a card game running at 20fps, even though that isn't okay either.

Boss Mog

I'll never understand the 30fps defense force. It has nothing but huge disadvantages when compared to 60fps. To me it's like saying the shittiest frozen pizza is just as good as a freshly made pie from a quality pizzeria. It's never true. Sure you might have to settle for the frozen pizza from time to time but that doesn't mean that you should start putting it up on a pedestal. It's shitty by comparison to a quality pizza and so is 30fps compared to 60fps.

I played GTA V on 360, then I got the PS4 version and I wanted to play it in FPS mode but I soon came to realize that the huge flaws of 30fps are even more evident when playing a FPS and so I gave up as it felt horrible. Then I tried the PC version in FPS mode at 60+ FPS and it's like a whole new grand experience playing through the game that way.

Worst Offender: Netherrealm Games on PC... Since Mortal Kombat 9 every fighting game (Injustice, MKX, Injustice 2) has the same jarring flaw. 60fps Gameplay, buttersmooth and enjoyable, then come the supermoves/X-Rays/Fatalaties and BAM, 30fps like an RKO out of nowhere. The struggle is real!

Meccs

I thought the same until I played Zelda: BotW. The real issue is frame pacing, not frame rate. Bloodborne and FFXV on PS4 are examples for games with terrible frame pacing making it a terrible experience. I can live with solid 30 fps and proper frame pacing but I do prefer 60fps of course.

ggr2k5

Neo Member
Also, in movies, cameramen very rarely throw the camera around in quick 90 and 180 degree pans. It would look awful. That's why the DOP usually sticks to slow planning shots and is also why 30fps is fine for slow moving games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'll never understand the 30fps defense force. It has nothing but huge disadvantages when compared to 60fps. To me it's like saying the shittiest frozen pizza is just as good as a freshly made pie from a quality pizzeria. It's never true. Sure you might have to settle for the frozen pizza from time to time but that doesn't mean that you should start putting it up on a pedestal. It's shitty by comparison to a quality pizza and so is 30fps compared to 60fps.

I played GTA V on 360, then I got the PS4 version and I wanted to play it in FPS mode but I soon came to realize that the huge flaws of 30fps are even more evident when playing a FPS and so I gave up as it felt horrible. Then I tried the PC version in FPS mode at 60+ FPS and it's like a whole new grand experience playing through the game that way.
No one saying 30FPS is better than 60FPS but 30FPS is not "unplayable" I can still perfectly enjoy games that runs at 30FPS and think it pretty damn stupid to miss out on great games just because it runs at 30FPS.

betrayal

Banned
60 FPS (or more) is always better, no doubt. There are no objective drawbacks to it besides a more cinematic feel for some people.

When talking about 30 FPS it really is all about consistency, frame pacing and input lag. Any of those three can make 30 FPS feel awkward and unresponsive. But if you have a low input lag, rock solid 30 FPS and a good solid frame pacing then i think no one will have problems with 30 FPS. Sure, some people will always need some time to adjust to 30 FPS when coming from 60++ FPS, but that's just human nature and won't take long, if the three things mentioned above are applied.

Last edited:

Dark Link

As long as I'm enjoying the game I'm playing and the framerate doesn't deter from my enjoyment then I don't give two shits about it. Although it won't stop me from making the joke about "MUH FRAMES" whenever something stutters / slows the framerate.

Top Bottom