• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can no longer play non-VR racing games

RoyalFool

Banned
As per the title.

I wouldn't say racers are my favourite genre, but I enjoy them enough to have a pretty solid collection spanning most major releases, and got hooked on some obscure titles along the way (F355 will always hold a special place in my heart).

So, a few months ago I picked up Project Cars for the Rift in a sale, and a few weeks ago Driveclub for the PSVR, but what happened next was completely unexpected.

I should totally write click-bait videogame journalism...

I gave them a quick play when I first purchased them - thought, like most people, 'huh that's pretty neat' and then moved on to other things.

Maybe it was the lack of other games, but for whatever reason, I kept returning to them, and over time I noticed the way I played them was starting to shift. At first, I treated them like any regular racer; did a few challenges or ranked up then called it a night.

Then after a few evenings I changed the camera to the cockpit view and brought in a comfy chair to sit on, I've raced using nothing but bumper-cams for the last 20 years, but for some reason, it just felt right to do this in VR. Between races, I'd find myself moving my head around just taking in all the little details, the trim on the chairs, the mirrors, the fancy little dials and widgets on the dashboards. It feels like your inside your own little safe space.

Then after one particularly shitty day at work, I picked an empty track and just sort of went for a drive. I drove around Japan a dusk, pulled up along some neon signs and just sat there, with the engine humming, looking around for a good 20 minutes. Watching the dynamic leaves flow between the gaps in the wooden fence rather than clipping through them.

Now I find myself "playing" them most evenings, and the majority of the time I don't even bother racing apart from to unlock things, and that's the other weirdness - apart from maybe when I first got the TVR at as kid in Gran Turismo, I've never been excited about unlocking stuff. But in VR, every car and track feels like it actually has worth - it's another sandbox to play in, another location to visit.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with regular racing games now.

It's also got me thinking, does VR simply make the entire videogame experience better? Given the lack of 'bad' launch titles on the PSVR, I'm wondering if just the sense of presence alone adds something to the title; pretty sure titles like Sports Bar VR would be pretty shite if it were not for the VR aspect, and yet the VR aspect somehow raises it.

I'm limited to PSVR games, so all I've tried is Driveclub. It's really cool feeling like you're there.

Can't wait for a more arcadey racing game that's more fleshed out and has better graphics.

Ridge Racer VR would be pure sex for me. I was a big fan of Ridge Racer 3DS.

Really hoping for Dirt Rally support for PSVR. From what I can tell it has been hinted at, but there is no concrete information last I saw. Anyone heard anything recently? It would be amazing.

cakely

I've used cockpit view in racing games since it was available.

I agree with you the feeling of sitting in the car, looking around at the interior and taking in all the little details is amazing. VR greatly magnifies this effect.

I haven't tried the full version of DCVR but the image quality out the window ruined the effect for me. The car interior looks amazing but I was having a hard time making out the turn apex.

If PS4 Pro improves this view even a little I'd be willing to give it another go.

totowhoa

Banned
That's awesome. I'd love a Horizons-like game in PSVR. Not really interested in drive club unfortunately :/ I'm not a huge fan of racers so I tend to be picky. The more adventure-y the better.

MaDKaT

I feel kind of the same. Dirt in VR is amazing. Project CARS is ok but I enjoy Assetto Corsa more. Heavilly considering getting back into iRacing. I can still play racing games outside of VR but it certainly doesnt have the same impact that it used to have. I really need to build a new racing rig.

This is the thread I needed to see. Ever since VR came out, I have been dying to find out about how well racing games and the driving experience translated to VR. I have been a casual racing enthusiast for a long time, I love the genre.

I always felt like it was just missing something that driving a real car could never have, and it sounds like VR is part of the ticket.

If I could try out Drive Club or some other racing experience, that could seal the deal for me. I'm still on the fence and even at PSVR price, that's a lot to pay.

Are you using a steering wheel by any chance or just regular controls?

bj00rn_

Banned
I've been doing VR for three years, and I'm in related situation but in a slightly different variation, a sort of a dilemma actually:

After VR I'm not able to play non-VR racing sims, however I'm not able to force myself to play racing games in VR either because the resolution in today's VR HMDs is complete and utter shit.

The HTC Vive is bad enough when it comes to the resolution at the "looking ahead spot", so I can't imagine how bad it is in the PSVR HMD. High resolution HMDs and foveated rendering can't come soon enough.

..So it's a good thing Forza Horizon 3 is a great arcade type racer..It's one of the few non-VR car games I can enjoy.

TheMan

The feeling of immersion with DCVR is pretty ace. I actually have a t150 but I don't have a suitable table to use in my living room to sit comfortably. Gave it a shot a few weeks ago and it was an awkward mess.

Any recommendations for a suitable table/stand for a steering wheel? I'm talking 30 bucks or under.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did the same thing playing project cars. Open top car on the coastal track at night. I just pulled over and drank it all in. Was very relaxing.

muteki

There needs to be more of them.

On PSVR there's really just Driveclub. GTS looks like it going to be severely cut back. Need something Wipeout-esque or more arcadey Ridge Racer.

Baleoce

I always felt the driving genre had the most to gain from VR. It's practical, and actually has the potential for complete immersion with little more than a good wheel setup and a headset (it would be nice if you could find chairs that sync with the wheel for suspension feedback, I have no idea if that's a thing). Can't wait to try it one day.

antibolo

Banned
They'll need to somehow solve the sickness issues if that's ever to become mainstream.

Driveclub VR is not called the Vomit Comet for nothing.

I was pretty excited for that game until I hit the wall of reality of how sickness inducing it is to take a fast turn in VR.

So no, I did not think VR made the experience better.

I'm the same. The lack of fidelity in the games is a bit of an issue but going back to standard display they feel lifeless. Hearing the car approach you on the left, glancing in the mirror and as you hold your line the audio moves behind you and creeps up on the right, you don't need to look you know where they are. You look through the corner and you have them held but they have you on the next right as they pass and you look over at the other car and eerily watch the driver, they hit some debris which goes over your car and a plastic bag flies past the window all in a few seconds. When its good its amazing and regular racing games don't come close, you have everything you had before such as time trials, racing, multiplayer, leaderboards but with a different level of interaction and engagement.

I had never really been a fan of multi-car racing in multiplayer or single in driving games and primarily stuck to time trials but battling it out is just so damn fun and is now my go to. I have never really been sold on open-world racing either but in VR it is what I now want most (well except for Wipeout VR and a proper RPG in VR), especially off-road.

They'll need to somehow solve the sickness issues if that's ever to become mainstream.

I was pretty excited for that game until I hit the wall of reality of how sickness inducing it is to take a fast turn in VR.

Have you given the Trackmania demo a go yet? The camera is stuck to the track rather than the car and feels very mellow. A lot of people that had issues with DCVR or Project Cars and Dirt Rally seem to be having a lot of luck with it.

antibolo

Banned
Have you given the Trackmania demo a go yet? The camera is stuck to the track rather than the car and feels very mellow. A lot of people that had issues with DCVR or Project Cars and Dirt Rally seem to be having a lot of luck with it.

Yeah I tried it but it's not the same kind of racing at all.

It's funny because i thought reports of the 'vomit inducer' were greatly exaggerated. I've been playing it and enjoying it on PSVR. However, I let my wife try it for the first time last night, and after only 1 minute on the track, she had to stop herself from ripping the headset off, and was probably only able to not yank the headset from her head because of how expensive it was. She urged me to remove the headset, turned her head away from the TV and device, closed her eyes, and had to stop herself from vomiting. It took her a few minutes to calm down, and she was definitely shaken. I felt awful, as she was only trying this for my benefit.

Once she calmed, she tried out - and loved - Headmaster. No adverse reaction.

However, that outburst was super unsettling. Sony and the VR devs are REALLY going to have to fix this in order for VR to take off to the levels that they believe it should go.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Driveclub VR makes me extremely ill. The sense of immersion and actually sitting in the car is astounding, but going back to Forza Horizon 3 on my PC monitor is still tops for me.

Lan_97

The immersion in DCVR is fantastic, and it's definitely a game I enjoy just cruising around the track. I doubt I will very interested in playing any non-vr sim or sim-arcade driving game after this. I've already written off GT because of the scaled back VR mode.

That said, DCVR doesn't show off very well. Visually, it takes some time to get past the low rendered resolution of the game and appreciate that you are 'in' the car and those environments. It also takes (variable) time to get over potential motion sickness. Since the motion and the environment of a car is so familiar to people, it can really mess with the brain. The worst I've felt with the game is the first night I played when I decided to drive around urban tracks as if I were actually driving through a city, making proper stops and turns.

I agree OP.

I was gonna buy Forza Horizon 3 but i didn't simply because once i played Driveclub VR, i just can't go back to flat screen racing games. It's just not as fun and immersive.

It's amazing how Driveclub in VR makes the whole experience much much better, even with low resolution, it's crazy awesome driving and seeing your opponent on your right or left trying to pass... it's like those intense scenes from the movie "Speed Racer", you're so into it, it's crazy !

AlphaMale

I tried Driveclub VR for the first time over the weekend. There were a group of us testing it out on a friend's PS Pro with steering wheel and pedals.

I was waiting to see how long it would take one or all of us to get sick and puke. To my amazement, NO ONE got sick from playing! That definitely surprised me.

Driveclub VR was very cool, especially for a VR launch title. The feeling of being inside the car was pretty cool. Going over the up-and-down undulations felt very real. If the in-car graphics were a little sharper, it would have felt even more immersive and real.

I think the real trick to VR is... have a comfortable seating position. And if it's a racing game, you absolutely NEED a steering wheel/pedals. I can't imagine playing a VR driving game without it. (if you can't afford the steering wheel, don't bother with getting a VR driving game)

Good luck! "Vomit Comet" debunked... at least with me and my friends.

I'm loving Driveclub VR, despite the rough visuals. The only time I can report feeling any nausea is when I was deliberately performing 360s in an Atom. Not the best idea I've ever had.

I went back to standard Driveclub as a comparison and found it difficult to judge the corners. Even with the vastly improved graphics it felt flat and lifeless in comparison.

VR version for me now.

I couldn't play Driveclub because I got motion sickness, but generally I agree with your sentiment. I tried playing Rez in non-VR mode and it's completely different experience. Playing it in non-VR is just a waste of time.

I'm loving Driveclub VR, despite the rough visuals. The only time I can report feeling any nausea is when I was deliberately performing 360s in an Atom. Not the best idea I've ever had.

I went back to standard Driveclub as a comparison and found it difficult to judge the corners. Even with the vastly improved graphics it felt flat and lifeless in comparison.

VR version for me now.

Honestly, i don't feel dizzy anymore with pretty much all VR games. At first, Driveclub made me dizzy and i felt weird after playing for about 20 minutes but now ? not anymore. I guess Rushy was right, the more you play VR the more you can tolerate it.

YuShtink

Yep. Same here. I recently bought Forza Horizon 3 and while it's a fantastic racing game it was a total waste of money because I realized this exact same thing. I can't bring myself to really put time in and enjoy a standard contemporary racing game after spending substantial time racing in VR. The resolution certainly leaves something to be desired there, and maybe that's partially the reason I was initially enamored with Horizon 3 - the IQ is off the charts at 4K. But the experience of being in the car and being able to look around naturally - it really gives a whole other level of spatial awareness and nuance that comes with it that is so completely lost on a flat screen, no matter how big or beautiful. Especially with a nice chair and wheel. It's transcendent and almost orgasmic lol.

yyr

Hopefully if more people start to feel this way, it will be one more nail in the coffin for 30fps driving games.

Seriously, driving games need to be at least 60fps going forward. The difference is night and day. We have the technology.

Water

That's not enough, no.

For most people, consistent high framerate is enough to avoid motion sickness from simulator-ish car games. The few who can't deal with that probably can't handle anything other than 1:1 scale VR and have to stick to teleportation as the only form of artificial locomotion.

A driving simulator is one of the mildest types of artificial locomotion due to its mitigating factors. Rotation only happens around the vertical axis and is never very fast, there isn't much up-down motion, acceleration and deceleration are very smooth, motion is highly predictable and the player is constantly almost fully in control of it, the cockpit gives you a huge visual reference frame, etc.

I hope someone does a karting-scale VR racing game. It would be more immersive because the limitations of the resolution would not be as noticeable. I'd particularly like an arcade rally thing with tiny 4WD rally cars, miniature tracks, low speeds and tons of drifting on ice and assorted materials. (Although drifting is considerably more troublesome than grip driving for VR sickness, so having grip tracks and vehicles in addition is a good idea.)

StaSeb

If you can, try a VR racing game with a wheel. It really helps the immersion and changes your whole mindset when it comes to driving in game. I started to shift manually, use my motor to break, feather the gas and find a good racing line.

In VR even racing a bit slow and safe feels awesome. And Driveclub VR, together with that Thrustmaster 500-thingy wheel is an amazing feeling game. You feel every bump, every wheelspin, every hop over the asphalt.

Too bad DC VR looks as it looks.

antibolo

Banned
For most people, consistent high framerate is enough to avoid motion sickness from simulator-ish car games. The few who can't deal with that probably can't handle anything other than 1:1 scale VR and have to stick to teleportation as the only form of artificial locomotion.

It's not a "few".

A driving simulator is one of the mildest types of artificial locomotion due to its mitigating factors. Rotation only happens around the vertical axis and is never very fast, there isn't much up-down motion, acceleration and deceleration are very smooth, motion is highly predictable and the player is constantly almost fully in control of it, the cockpit gives you a huge visual reference frame, etc.

Taking turns is where it gets sickness inducing.

Water

It's not a "few".
My guess is less than 20% of people would have a serious problem with VR sickness in a driving sim, using a wheel and pedal setup, at steady high framerate. What's yours?
Taking turns is where it gets sickness inducing.
You mean may get sickness inducing. Obviously the rotation is the highest-risk component for VR sickness in a driving sim, but in the grand scheme of things, it's quite mild. Absent are multiple axis rotation, lateral movement (unless drifting), unexpected movement, etc.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A good-quality VR racing clip always brings a smile on my face.

I wanted to like Automobilista 2 but was immediately put off by the piss poor tracks. Take Donington. I’ve thrashed a Caterham around there sideways in real life so I know it reasonably well. The game version is an abomination. In an age of laser scans there’s no excuse.

pixelation

I have played Wipeout in VR (awesome but the third campaign gets super hard), GT Sport (great but it doesn't really have a VR campaign), and a demo for Driveclub VR... it's super cool but they no longer sell it on the PS store and it's super hard to come by as a physical purchase... I wish I could buy it still.

Flintty

I haven’t yet tried any racing games but any Forza would be sweet.

I did feel the same way about No Mans Sky though - it was a game changer. Being able to look around your cockpit to see enemy ships and your surroundings felt so natural - I can’t wait for SW Squadrons!

I deffo need to pick up a good racing sim though, and get a wheel!

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
It's also got me thinking, does VR simply make the entire videogame experience better?

Yes. Yes it does. Every game I personally have played in VR that has dual modes has been better in VR.

I played RE7 in vr first. Cant even play it on the tv now. It's just not even close.

Ace combats VR missions are simply mindblowing. Using your actual head to track bogeys while flying In a different direction instead of holding the triangle button to lock the camera onto the enemy.
It's just so immersive.

And immersion is a cornerstone to exemplary game development. You cant get this kind of immersion on a flat screen.

Sleepwalker

I have the wheel but not the VR headset, would you guys say it's worth it? Currently I do most of my racing on f1 2019 (yes I know it's not a true sim, but I have a group of around 15 friends and we do race nights mon-thurs) I also have Gran Turismo, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corza and a few others I enjoy but I play all my racing on the PS4. not sure how the compatibility etc works.

Making the jump to the wheel got me hooked into sim racing and can see myself sinking thousands of dollars into this over time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom