• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cancelled a Netflix for the first time since it came to my country.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What do you want to hear OP? ''Ok'' or ''Sad to read this!''

A more serious answer: The raising of prices is (Likely) due to all the inhouse movies/series they are making. They are throwing a shitton of money towards that, so that might be one reason why prices are raised.

Or perhaps local economy inflation also has something to do with it.

Ownage

I'm ending my subscription too. I've seen enough of the MCU, and their home grown movies are half baked crap.

MDSLKTR

Switched to sd content after the price raise. I would have cancelled too it if I wasnt hooked on mad men at the moment. I am definitely not the target audience for the Netflix originals and would rather switch to Crave.

I was unsubscribed for about a year and when I attempted to resub in December for Black Mirror, I was eligible for a free trial once again. Turns out they delete your history after a year without a subscription.

So I guess I'll be doing a free trial once per year lol

I was unsubscribed for about a year and when I attempted to resub in December for Black Mirror, I was eligible for a free trial once again. Turns out they delete your history after a year without a subscription.

So I guess I'll be doing a free trial once per year lol
That's usually how I do it. Whenever something comes up that I want to watch, I create an account and watch it during that free month...
Hope that admitting to doing this isn't an offense comparable to piracy.

Ownage

That's usually how I do it. Whenever something comes up that I want to watch, I create an account and watch it during that free month...
Hope that admitting to doing this isn't an offense comparable to piracy.
I can't see how it would be offensive as there is a GAF thread called free CBS All access for 3 months.

TTOOLL

I left last December and never looked back. I miss nothing. Also, in my country, The Office is only available on Prime. That's where I am. The Office and The Grand Tour.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I'm in the opposite camp -- I'm finding it more and more interesting and relevant. (I just started on Umbrella Academy and enjoy it so far.) It will suck to have Disney limit its movie releases to its own service, but Netflix has a lot of quality content to rely on these days.

Shifty

I don't think I've even looked in the direction of Netflix since VPNing into the US catalogue got made significantly harder.

The UK one is barren for good content, or was at the time at least.

Redneckerz

I can't see how it would be offensive as there is a GAF thread called free CBS All access for 3 months.
WinterIsComing WinterIsComing
747035.jpg

bitbydeath

Still gets a lot of good content where I live.
This past month we got Fate of the Furious and Get Out.

The original shows are great as well, can’t wait for Santa Clarita S3 next month.

I'm cancelling, too.

It's mostly over-hyped trash if I'm honest. I'll only come back for Stranger Things and DARK (and The Witcher!).

I've invested considerably in Prime Video so my library of content there eclipses Netflix for me and I have Hulu as well.

I don't understand why Netflix doesn't sell other content so that way you can grow your library as you like as you can on Prime Video.

Makariel

Since The Expanse found it's new home on Prime, I'm also tempted to cancel. The woman still likes to watch those Korean soap operas though, so still having it for a bit.

Nymphae

Banned
Good call OP, I'm in Canada too and I canceled it a while ago. They've creeped it up to about $10 more than the original asking price, and the selection gets worse and worse imo..

I already pay for Amazon Prime, so their video service + Youtube is all the TV I need.

Dark Star

The Punisher is also getting cancelled so, yeah, what else is there to watch? The Office? lol

their original films are totally hit or miss, and lately, most of them have been pretty lame.

the selection of movies/shows are way too algorithmic ... i'd rather have an option to "view all" so i can have a much more broad selection that isn't systematically catered to my obvious taste in horror or action films (for example, I added The Exorcist to my list, so the next day i had 3-4 rows/columns of Jason X and Jaws 3 and a ton of other crappy films)

Last edited:

Greedings

What do you want to hear OP? ''Ok'' or ''Sad to read this!''

A more serious answer: The raising of prices is (Likely) due to all the inhouse movies/series they are making. They are throwing a shitton of money towards that, so that might be one reason why prices are raised.

Or perhaps local economy inflation also has something to do with it.

And most of them are fucking awful. Occasionally you'll find a good movie or a good tv show, but I can barely last through 15 minutes of the Netflix Originals crap.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The only thing I liked on it was Stranger Things and the first season of The Crown. I don't even like TV anymore. I'd rather interact with others by any means.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

And most of them are fucking awful. Occasionally you'll find a good movie or a good tv show, but I can barely last through 15 minutes of the Netflix Originals crap.
I would respectfully disagree. I have not really an opinion on the series since i don't watch those, but The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was pretty good, as was Bright. They are not 10's, but 7 and 8's surely.

Greedings

I would respectfully disagree. I have not really an opinion on the series since i don't watch those, but The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was pretty good, as was Bright. They are not 10's, but 7 and 8's surely.
I also liked Scruggs. As I said, there's the occasional shining example, but most are unwatchable.

Greedings

That is a matter of opinion, i believe.
Of course it is. What's your point?

My point is that it's reasonable to see a price increase in Netflix as a good point to drop the service, especially when that price increase is financing Netflix Originals that many people dislike. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Makariel

Nothing, i meant nothing with it. it was an observation.
In my observation most of the Netflix exclusive movies are lukewarm at best. For every Roma or Buster Scruggs there are ten Tau, Arc or Special Correspondents, along with all the Adam Sandler stuff that has been dumped on it.

Redneckerz

In my observation most of the Netflix exclusive movies are lukewarm at best. For every Roma or Buster Scruggs there are ten Tau, Arc or Special Correspondents, along with all the Adam Sandler stuff that has been dumped on it.
I don't watch Sandler by default since its Adam Sandler.

Nymphae

Banned
Of course it is. What's your point?

My point is that it's reasonable to see a price increase in Netflix as a good point to drop the service, especially when that price increase is financing Netflix Originals that many people dislike. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I 100% signed up for access to things I already liked that they could offer me, well before "Originals" even existed.

More originals are produced each year, almost none of them to my liking, and the price goes up, while at the same time they constantly drop other people's content (the stuff I signed up for - like recently Bob's Burgers, just gone! Enjoy something with Aziz Ansari instead!). They can fuck off. They had a PERFECT setup, and nearly everyone by the balls, but they're starting to slip, more and more people aren't seeing the value.

They have to be raking it in at insane levels, think of how many people out there are throwing them like $15 a month. IMO that money would be better spent on content acquisition and retention, not this endless series of woke comedian specials and netflix produced leftist propaganda. Dear white people? LOL

I'm literally building a collection of stuff right now, physical & digital, from the 80's to the early 2000's of stuff I like, games, movies, etc., that I can just play and enjoy with my consoles, bluray players, or PCs for the rest of my days and say fuck you to all of these licence renters.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Me neither, but for some reason Netflix seems to think I really should! It's constantly popping up in my "recommended" Tab. Netflix doesn't know me as well as they think they do.
Netflix also has frequent errors with its titles, showcasing pictures that make the description look offensive, heh.

Perhaps a YT like filter system is at play.

People love Adam Sandler movies. Don't abide by your own standards
I know. Sandler is hugely popular. I never denied that. So? I don't watch him, his work is mostly not up my taste.

Orpheum

I'd appreciate it if netflix didn't focus on the originals so damn much, my feed is littered with them and most of the stuff is mediocre at best. So right now i'm also on the verge of cancelling

iconmaster

Banned
I'm ending my subscription too. I've seen enough of the MCU, and their home grown movies are half baked crap.

This is where I'm at. I've seen all of Daredevil, just finished Punisher season 2. We watched a lot of Office. There's little left we want to watch. Will probably cancel within a few weeks.

I'm not angry, it's just not worth it anymore.

Nymphae

Banned
It also bothers me that they don't seem to develop any new features - they actually removed user ratings IIRC, now it's just thumbs up thumbs down to push you suggestions (and if you don't do that you'll be pushed Originals constantly anyway)

Like, how fucking long is it going to take them to develop a "watch random" feature? You want to talk about a low effort way to keep people plugged in? Do you know how many times I have heard people say one of the worst parts of the Netflix experience is simply picking something? That they spend 20 minutes looking and thinking, then eventually don't even watch anything?

Remember channel surfing? I can't count the number of times I just randomly flipped through shows on old TV, and just landed on something that looked interesting and stayed with it. This does not happen EVER on Netflix, because I always have to initiate the program, I'm never coming into a cool looking show half way and wanting to see more.

Like honestly, how hard is that to make? I click a button, and it just plays something. I can hit next, and play something else. Wow, insane idea huh? You could even have filtering options, this isn't old TV, why not let me randomly channel surf through Horror movies? Or cartoons? Etc. etc.

Last edited:

Fbh

It still has enough value to me.
Most movies are crap but I enjoy some original shows (or the stuff they claim to be original even though they just have the license for some regions).
Stuff like the last kingdom, stranger things , Dark, Kingdom, BoJack horseman, etc.

There's never a lot to watch but always 1 or 2 decent things IMO. And sharing the price with someone else makes it pretty affordable

Top Bottom