• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get a clear idea if this TV has HDR or not (Samsung UN40KU6290FXZA)

It can accept a HDR signal but the display is limited so it can't really display it. It didn't support wide color gamut which really limits what it can show. Think of it like buying a TV that has a native res of 720p but can take a 1080p signal. Sure it takes it but it's not really showing it.

jonno394

Does not support Hdr10 due to lack of wide colour gamut and most likely an 8bit display. It'll look better than a normal tv, just not as good as a hdr10 tv.

inner-G

Banned
Those are the same thing, the 6300 just has Bluetooth and a smart remote

It isn't a 'true' 10-bit panel but it looks really good in-person:

EP71SGM.jpg

JZW2zGI.jpg

Also, game mode works with HDR content

d9b

Banned
Those are the same thing, the 6300 just has Bluetooth and a smart remote

It isn't a 'true' 10-bit panel but it looks really good in-person:

[IMG]

Also, game mode works with HDR content[/QUOTE]

Do you own 6300? Do you mind sharing your HDR settings?

inner-G

Banned
I have the 6290, which is the Best Buy variant of the 6300 with a different remote and no Bluetooth, the panel is the same. It's 3am here and I'm in bed, but I'll post my full settings in the a.m.

I know I have the PS4 all set to auto, TV on game mode, HDMI1 deep color on, backlight to max, brightness around 35, dynamic contrast on medium.

Not sure on the rest but I'll post a pic of my image settings tomorrow

Recommended dynamic contrast on pretty much any of the new Samsung sets is off. For gaming at least. I can confirm, as can many other after fairly extensive testing that it crushes blacks and whites.

Ammogeddon

Recommended dynamic contrast on pretty much any of the new Samsung sets is off. For gaming at least. I can confirm, as can many other after fairly extensive testing that it crushes blacks and whites.

It's interesting you say that because I have a 2015 Samsung 4K TV which received an HDR firmware update and it needs to have dynamic contrast set to high.

EvB

8bit panel
No local dimming/ dual modulation

It can accept and HDR signal , but what you see is not HDR

It's interesting you say that because I have a 2015 Samsung 4K TV which received an HDR firmware update and it needs to have dynamic contrast set to high.

Needs to? It says In the firmware update or something?

HDR content looks washed out without it

Feels washes out comparatively. But they really aren't and the detail loss is quite serious in darker scenes. The problem is so many people are used to or experienced ting obscenely punchy visuals when that's really only a part of HDR and IMO not the most important part. Expectation from marketing and display TV's have screwed us all up.

DC off is the closest I can get relative to a near perfectly calibrated monitor for my space. The loss in details is very marked when running in comparison with Dynamic contrast on Medium or High especially. Low is acceptable but off is best. But hey, if you really cant stand it nothing is stopping you from using it. I'd just encourage people to really try it for a while and see how big of a difference in makes for darker scenes especially.

Robiin

This thread along with all others circulating right now just tells me that nothing is standardized and I should just wait one or two years before purchasing, so that everything can settle.

Ammogeddon

Needs to? It says In the firmware update or something?

Sorry, that's my words.

Though my TV is updated to receive an HDR signal it's probably not up to the task.

I'm not an expert on these things so forgive my descriptions. I noticed issues on Ratchet and clank on the main menu and sky box in-game. Where the sun is shining on the main screen it looks like it has pixelated artefacts around it. In the sky box the clouds go weird as if they're struggling to spread the light correctly. I have found that changing to dynamic contrast gets rid of this. Unfortunately there is a trade off with some slight black crushing.

The same issues aren't present in uncharted, it looks very nice. I have been taking screen shots to check HDR is working and it definitely is and having a positive effect.

Nope that tv doesn't get bright enough
yeah that TV has a 10 bit panel but it doesn't have WCG
The HDR is great but it has shit tier input lag

What a clusterfuck.

This thread is dismaying.

All I want to know is, am I going to regret spending $300 on this TV?

It's replacing my nearly 5 year old IPS 1080p monitor.

d9b

Banned

You are getting really good UHDTV for glorious 4K with ok HDR for $300. Do you even have to ask?
Yes is the answer.

AGITΩ

Its good for the money, but thats about it. Never really recommend 6 series uhd samsungs. Just had too many returns due to bad image quality, screen jutter and all that. Plus i normally advise against black friday made tvs. Aka, not regular assortment.

AGITΩ;225089481 said:
Its good for the money, but thats about it. Never really recommend 6 series uhd samsungs. Just had too many returns due to bad image quality, screen jutter and all that. Plus i normally advise against black friday made tvs. Aka, not regular assortment.

Is there another TV in the same category that you would recommend? I wouldn't mind going up to $400 if the end result is a better TV.

Nope that tv doesn't get bright enough
yeah that TV has a 10 bit panel but it doesn't have WCG
The HDR is great but it has shit tier input lag

What a clusterfuck.

As someone who has the ku6300, it's literally the opposite of this post.

There's like no input lag (one of the things the TV praised for), but the HDR doesn't seem to make things look better. I end up turning off HDR, although I'll be curious to see how FFXV looks.

Cassidylz: Make sure you're in game mode and not HDR+ mode. Games are unplayable in HDR+ mode.

DKF590

It's a great TV for the price if you are ok with the lack of real HDR. It can't really be beat at the ~$300 is going for now IMO. Good contrast, low input lag, etc. Only real issue is the 8-bit panel/HDR.

The next significant step up with a 10-bit panel would cost quite a bit more. Currently using the 40' while waiting to see what hits next year.

inner-G

Banned
Is there another TV in the same category that you would recommend? I wouldn't mind going up to $400 if the end result is a better TV.
People are saying to get a true 10 bit but those are nowhere near $400

This is about the best you'll find for the price, imo

That poster a few above is 100% wrong about the input lag. It's much faster than even a lot of more expensive TVs (check rtings.com)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

http://4k.com/tv/samsung-ku6300-rev...un60ku6300-un55ku6300-un50ku6300-un40ku6300/#

It's a bottom of the barrel TV. The phrase "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more true here. Unless your TV is dying, wait or at least spend the $650 on the Sony. Your monitor isn't that old. Play the smart move here and wait. For the record we just got four of these so I have first hand experience with it.

LowSignal

It's a bottom of the barrel TV. The phrase "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more true here. Unless your TV is dying, wait or at least spend the $650 on the Sony. Your monitor isn't that old. Play the smart move here and wait. For the record we just got four of these so I have first hand experience with it.
Not really bottom of the barrel considering the other TV's at the same price with less features and resolution.

I bought it last night and I love it. I didn't feel like waiting for Sony to get the Vizio 4k sorted out and this was only $290.

AGITΩ;225089481 said:

Judder I understand for people who are bothered by it easily. But bad image quality? The 6290/6300 is pretty phenomenal. Even when compared to a KS8000 tbh. It's a great cheap tv.

You have never experienced anywhere close to bottom of the barrel if that's what you think. What has everyone one of your TV's been a top of the line Plasma or OLED?

inner-G

Banned
I bought it and fired up Titanfall.

It looks incredible.
F yeah! Glad you are liking it

I was really impressed on what I got for the price. I was able to get one about 1/3 larger than a similar priced SUHD. That bigger size is nice for ALL content too - 95% of what we watch is SDR on Netflix, blu-ray, non-HDR games, etc.

CGwizz

So the HDR on this TV does absolutely ZERO diference cause it is no HDR10 ? Or its better than no hadr at all like some 4k TVs?

inner-G

Banned
So the HDR on this TV does absolutely ZERO diference cause it is no HDR10 ? Or its better than no hadr at all like some 4k TVs?
I don't have a spectrometer or anything but HDR content looks 'richer' and fuller to me in HDR videos. Lighting and color seems more vivid in stuff like Ratchet and Forza Horizon 3 than with it turned off. You have to adjust picture settings a little when you switch between the two if you want it to be perfect imo. Don't know if other HDR sets are the same.

CGwizz

I don't have a spectrometer or anything but HDR content looks 'richer' and fuller to me in HDR videos. Lighting and color seems more vivid in stuff like Ratchet and Forza Horizon 3 than with it turned off. You have to adjust picture settings a little when you switch between the two if you want it to be perfect imo. Don't know if other HDR sets are the same.

Glad to know, if i cant get a good deal in the sony tvs in black friday i am going to buy this 55TV i am sure i will love it :)

Not really bottom of the barrel considering the other TV's at the same price with less features and resolution.

It absolutely is bottom of the barrel for a 4K TV with HDR. If your TV isn't dying and you're not buying something that is 4K with proper HDR, you're throwing your money away to buy a shiny new toy.

You have never experienced anywhere close to bottom of the barrel if that's what you think. What has everyone one of your TV's been a top of the line Plasma or OLED?

I've got a pretty bottom of the barrel 19" HDTV that I paid $70 for in my kitchen, I've dealt with Westinghouses, Insignia TVs, etc. I also have one of these TVs in the office. The phrase "you get what you pay for" absolutely applies to this Samsung. I wouldn't ever pay for one and I would never recommend it to anyone. Get a proper 4K HDR set, not this. The quality of my current TV has absolutely no relevance to that recommendation but I'm pretty sure it would beat that Samsung despite it being a 1080p set.

EvB

It absolutely is bottom of the barrel for a 4K TV with HDR. If your TV isn't dying and you're not buying something that is 4K with proper HDR, you're throwing your money away to buy a shiny new toy.

I've got a pretty bottom of the barrel 19" HDTV that I paid $70 for in my kitchen, I've dealt with Westinghouses, Insignia TVs, etc. I also have one of these TVs in the office. The phrase "you get what you pay for" absolutely applies to this Samsung. I wouldn't ever pay for one and I would never recommend it to anyone. Get a proper 4K HDR set, not this. The quality of my current TV has absolutely no relevance to that recommendation but I'm pretty sure it would beat that Samsung despite it being a 1080p set.

People are so desperate to get an HDR TV, they literally don't care whether it is or not it seems. So much misinformation being spread by people who don't want to reach into their pockets

inner-G

Banned
Ok, half of GAF will say I'm ruining the image by using dynamic contrast, but this is what looks good TO ME, seven feet back on my couch (KU6290, PS4 Pro):

you're throwing your money away to buy a shiny new toy.
Welcome to video games.

Hello gaf TV experts.

This is my TV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EV2094Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has 4k and hdr, the option is also on the TV itself.

How real or fake is it? Lol

I'm thinking of getting a pro, and hoping to use it to its fullest with this TV, specially hdr

Thank you.
From what I can see, the 6600 is the Amazon-exclusive version of the 6500 (has a different stand). The 6500 is the curved version of the 6290 and 6300 that everyone in here is talking about. It's not true 10 bit HDR but it looks really good and will beat the pants off of an older, non-HDR TV. It also has low input lag, which is good for gaming obviously.

People are so desperate to get an HDR TV, they literally don't care whether it is or not it seems. So much misinformation being spread by people who don't want to reach into their pockets

Yep. People already got burned by buying a 4K set barely any content because it didn't have HDR. Now people are getting burned by buying half assed HDR or jumping in when they don't need to and decent HDR sets are going to be a dime a dozen pretty soon

Welcome to video games.

Nah, it's not even remotely close to the norm of buying video games. Buying a bottom barrel set implies money is an issue since they won't spend the $650 for the Sony. That also implies they aren't the type who is constantly replacing their TV most likely. Add in the fact that their monitor is only 5 years old, there's no reason to upgrade when proper HDR sets are trickling out with a lot more of them next year. It really is throwing away money when a proper set can be had for a little more, or much cheaper next year. Not getting a 4K set with proper HDR at this point is a foolish waste of money, especially if your existing TV isn't busted.

Izuna

Banned
Why would you spend so much money on a TV set and use Dynamic Contrast ;(

I don't understand.

Also isn't Warm 1 NOT the 6500k setting? It should be Warm 2 :s

Top Bottom