• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't imagine another 3D Mario without...

DKPOWPOW

Cappy

I just reached New Donk City.

The game is pure fun, and a big part of that has to do with Cappy and the possession mechanic. Suddenly anytime I reach a new kingdom I'm constantly on the search for what can I control and how this changes my approach to the level.

It's genius, but I really can't see myself playing a future 1 player 3D Mario game and not be able to possess my enemies. They opened this door of creativity and it's bonkers. Of course it's still great to play as Mario, but without Cappy or the ability it would seem like a major step back.

FLUDD was cool, but this is another level. All the power ups they've ever had, and nothing is quite as awesome as this. Sure some are better than others, but the choices are so unpredictable. Some kingdoms at a first glance seem small, but suddenly just one transformation creates so many possibilities that a small level becomes a giant playground.

Funny you mention this, as i was thinking the same thing while playing with the wife. Cappy is without question the most creative idea any Mario game has ever had, it's pure genius! It creates a whole other way of playing, solving puzzles, defeating enemies, getting to moons otherwiz impossible to get to if not for cappy, and it's also just fun to be able to play as all these different very creative characters, which forces you to think outside the box.

Only complaint i have with the game so far is how many moons are in it, compared to the very low number needed to beat each Kingdom, very lopsided. I wish they only had around 120 moons like Mario 64 had Stars (i mean, almost 900 moons in this game, c'mon!). Mario 64 made me feel much more accomplished as if i actually earned something by getting a Star, while in this game you could have 60 moons in a Kingdom when that Kingdom only requires 10 moons to beat it.

Anyway, I'm with you, other then the many many moons, me and the fam are having a blast with this game!

goldenpp72

This is why it's good gamers don't run development. I prefer Nintendo continue to march to their own beat and not rely on a mechanic because people like it. People probably thought the Fludd was too cool to drop, then we got galaxy and odyssey.

Social

We'll probably get a sequel next year or a bit later using the same mechanics, just grander like with Galaxy 2.

Nosgotham

just say cappy in the title. why the ...? that clickbait nonsense is terrible.

nintendo will alwats deliver unique stuff though. i hope theres an odyssey 2

sugarless

Only complaint i have with the game so far is how many moons are in it, compared to the very low number needed to beat each Kingdom, very lopsided. I wish they only had around 120 moons like Mario 64 had Stars (i mean, almost 900 moons in this game, c'mon!). Mario 64 made me feel much more accomplished as if i actually earned something by getting a Star, while in this game you could have 60 moons in a Kingdom when that Kingdom only requires 10 moons to beat it.

They've pitched it as easy enough to get through the main story, but in the endgame there's plenty to explore and find. It feels like the moons are not called stars precisely because they're not as precious - they feel pitched somewhere between Mario 64's stars (which as 120 was the same as Zelda BOTW shrines) and BOTW's Koroks. The way you find them can be like either too - some are pure exploration/noticing little side areas of the worlds.

Wiped89

You'll get one direct sequel if you're lucky and then Nintendo will drop the mechanic forever, never to be seen again, and you'll like it.

Fbh

Nah. All 3D Mario games have been great and I trust Nintendo will continue to find ways to make future sequels with interesting and new game mechanics (though I'd love a sequel to Odyssey first).

But yeah Cappy is great and is so well integrated that after a few hours it feels like he has allways been a part of the Mario franchise. Those areas you can only enter by using Cappy on a scarecrow (so you enter a small area where you can't use him) really go to show how well integrated he is. You are jumping on enemies again and it's like "oh, yeah, this is actually how Mario is normally"

DonF

It’s probably why we don’t make video games. We’re not creative enough

thinking the exact same thing. Some of the most difficult late game moons involve taking cappy away, and even thou you lose some mobility, the game is playable and is quite enjoyable. Next 3d mario will have another kind of gimmick.

Shifty

Knew it was Cappy before I even clicked :)

Myself I can't imagine another 3D mario without the extra platforming mechanics he brings to the table. Being able to re-orient in midair with a cap throw and get extra jump height with a bounce is so goddamn good.
The capture stuff I can take or leave. It certainly added a lot of variety to the gameplay, but the core Mario mechanics will always be king for me.

I agree with this. Nintendo's game design this gen seems to lean toward tons of content, but that results in the content itself feeling simplified or cheapened due to the sheer volume of it.
Plus when you have that much stuff in the game, keeping quality consistent across every single moon (or shrine in the case of BotW) is a bigger ask.

Thankfully I can only think of about 20 moons of the 800+ total that I would consider genuinely bad, which is a pretty good ratio.

People probably thought the Fludd was too cool to drop, then we got galaxy and odyssey.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

RedKnight

Neo Member
They've pitched it as easy enough to get through the main story, but in the endgame there's plenty to explore and find. It feels like the moons are not called stars precisely because they're not as precious - they feel pitched somewhere between Mario 64's stars (which as 120 was the same as Zelda BOTW shrines) and BOTW's Koroks. The way you find them can be like either too - some are pure exploration/noticing little side areas of the worlds.
That's why they didn't stick with me as well. There wasn't a sense of accomplishment if all it took to get a moon was to turn my camera up to the sky, or break a box and get one for free. And since none of the bosses were difficult, even those didn't make me feel accomplished.

It was really only the secret challenge maps that made me feel that I earned my moons.

yophlow

Banned
Agreed, the mechanic is amazing.

However, I hope in the sequel they get a bit deeper with the actual exploration and puzzles. In Odyssey, it's literally "possess the enemy that is standing right in front of the section you need to complete". If there was a bit more exploration and creativity it would feel more rewarding I think.

Don't get me wrong, Odyssey is amazing and it's basically impossible to do all the new things it does and reach a complete new leap in gameplay design in a single game. That's what the sequel should be for, now that the core mechanics are developed fully they can spend even more time on design.

mindsale

I can. I'd love a 3D obstacle course Mario, then open-structure, then a (non-New) 2D entry, then a 3D obstacle course... I think that'd be a rewarding cycle.

I really hope the open-structure format never loses the 2D Mario sections. I really felt like that was underutilized in Odyssey.

PetrCobra

This is why it's good gamers don't run development. I prefer Nintendo continue to march to their own beat and not rely on a mechanic because people like it. People probably thought the Fludd was too cool to drop, then we got galaxy and odyssey.

Let's just have a game with equal parts of Cappy / Fludd / nothing, how about that?

Gamegeneral

Honestly, I like the possession mechanic, but I really just like the way Cappy gives me an extra jump in the air.

Gosh I hope this game gets some extra kingdoms, I just want more of it.

Elfstar

I'm sure they'll find another funny gimmick for their next mainline Mario game, that's what they always do.

I really hope they make an Odissey 2 just like they did with Galaxy, though.

Fadobo

Cappy is even cool as a two player mechanic. My girlfriend is not a very skilled gamer, but steering Cappy around to collect some coins etc, is easy enough for her to do and is actually helpful for me as the main player. For the harder moments, she can just stop pushing any buttons for a bit and it controls identical to single player. Camera controls with one joycon are painful though.

RedSpring

Neo Member
Cappy is even cool as a two player mechanic. My girlfriend is not a very skilled gamer, but steering Cappy around to collect some coins etc, is easy enough for her to do and is actually helpful for me as the main player. For the harder moments, she can just stop pushing any buttons for a bit and it controls identical to single player. Camera controls with one joycon are painful though.

You don't have to use the split joycon to play two player despite the game showing people using it. You can use any of the controllers if you want.

Crazyorloco

Anyway, I'm with you, other then the many many moons, me and the fam are having a blast with this game!

This is actually one of the things that I love about the game...and for me it gives it more replay value. I love this game.

They had explored this mechanic before - I remember in Galaxy you could become a Boo ghost and the other ones would come up with heart symbols - you could use its abilities to go through walls as I recall.

Crazyorloco

Cappy is great, but I'd like Nintendo to do what they think is best. They have a good understanding of great gameplay, I trust if there's more creative things they can do with Cappy they'll make a Odyssey 2 - like they did with Super Mario Galaxy.

The game is great, selling really well, we don't need more PR thanks

Lol This is a gaming forum.

oh and this is one of the biggest games of the year. It's going to have a lot of threads. The forum is a bit slower than it use to be so I don't mind the thread. It could delve into a discussion of things that we would want in future mainline Mario games.

GametimeUK

I'd love photo mode in all future Mario games. Cappy I can live without. Give me something new and innovative again with the next instalment.

Techtonic

Neo Member
Cappy is such an original idea that I'm not sure what Nintendo will do next for 3D Mario. What could possibly be the next successor idea to Cappy?

Persoanlly, I think they should make a Waluigi game, but Waluigi has extendable limbs.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't worry, the next 3D Mario comes news mechanics that we think every Mario should have.

Galaxy actually felt better to me in terms of 3D controls but Odyssey felt cool just because you could control all kinds of things. But it also had some issues in terms of control. I mastered Jaxi for instance and I still hate how it feels to use him, and same for the lame RC Car.

DKPOWPOW

It's a hell of a lot better than FLUDD or the pointless starbits, that's for sure.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are saying "Oh just wait till the next game!" but this is the biggest thing they've done with Mario since going 3D. To me it's the start of something that becomes much grander, and possibilities seem limitless.

I mean, it almost has a sense of WarioWare with the wackiness in this game. I hope they do make a sequel and go insane with this mechanic.

Also, I'll change the title.
EDIT: never mind, I guess I can't?

Neff

They can easily get another sequel out of Cappy. Easily.

Super Mario Odyssey 2 is just begging to happen at some point.

This is actually one of the things that I love about the game...and for me it gives it more replay value. I love this game.

What i should have ended my statement with is they should have required the player to collect more moons per Kingdom in order to move on. Ok fine, there are almost 900 moons in the game, but when you have between 60 and 90 moons per Kingdom atleast require the player to collect 25-30 moons to advance. When the player only needs say 10-15 moons to advance, and there are 50-60 more moons to collect in that Kingdom, it sort of cheapens the effect of accomplishment. The game hands these moons out like water at times.

To add to this, my wife wants to move on the second we get enough moons in said Kingdom, while i want to continue searching for more moons. It's creating a bit of tension between us at times. lol

delete12345

At least Nintendo has filed a trademark on Cappy. But given that Cappy's origins is a ghost, I am afraid we won't be able to see Boos returning.

00stevenm

Neo Member
Funny you mention this, as i was thinking the same thing while playing with the wife. Cappy is without question the most creative idea any Mario game has ever had, it's pure genius! It creates a whole other way of playing, solving puzzles, defeating enemies, getting to moons otherwiz impossible to get to if not for cappy, and it's also just fun to be able to play as all these different very creative characters, which forces you to think outside the box.

Agreed, the only downfall to this game.

Top Bottom