• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't see how anyone could give 343 a chance on Halo Infinite after Halo 5. They have made only one tolerable game in their entire existence.

People are excited by the false promises and trailers that the 343 Idiots call HALO INFINITE, but I can see through them right quick. They grab you with all the flash but then when you receive the game you have nothing but lies, poor design, and poor experiences.

I gave them numerous chances. The one tolerable game they have made is their first, Halo Anniversary for the Xbox 360. They did alright for a new studio and I liked the touchups they added, but then it all went down hill from there. Halo 4 almost destroyed the franchise, they completely rewrote the plot and introduced new enemies that are still universally panned today. They damaged the multiplayer so badly that the population died only a few months after launch. They decided to remove key mechanics that fans loved, replacing them with mechanics seen in Call of Duty and several of its cash-in clones. Then after a few sub-par mobile games, they put out the Master Chief Collection. Couldn't even handle that, and it took almost 2 years to fix the damn thing and it's still not fixed today.

Then there's Halo 5! Halo 5, Halo 5, Halo 5. They got us good. They showed us fake gameplay not even running on an Xbox One, even gave us this exciting plot about a Master Chief on the run from a new adversary while trying to clear his name. They claimed to have hired new writers, and stated they listened to fan feedback, people who were fooled posted online saying Halo was back! No, it wasn't back, it was worse than ever before! All that gameplay was fake, the story was fake, the choices we were told we could make were also fake. We got a piss poor single player campaign and a slightly superior multiplayer campaign compared 4. It was still bad, but it was enough to make many people believe Halo 5 was actually heading in the right direction. Little did they know they only thought that because Halo 4 fucked up the franchise so badly anything else seemed better in comparison. Halo 5 was a Titanfall Call of Duty hybrid with tacked on single player. A single player mind you, where you play as Master Chief only 5% of the time.

Now they are doing it again, do you actually believe everything they have been showing us about Halo Infinite? You think all of it is actually going to be in the game? Do you think that's how the game is going to play? They got you good. You gave 343 one more chance to kill off the franchise for good. If you guys weren't so indoctrinated we could have gotten Microsoft to shutter 343idiots in 2015, but you fell for Halo 5 and now you are falling for their Infinite marketing.

When Halo Infinite inevitably turns out to be a disgrace, what's left for Halo? I like the Xbox One, it has some of the top games this generation, but I barely mention Halo and there's a reason for that, 343 is a shitfire and needs to be extinguished.

But fine, allow 343 to convince you Halo is coming back by making a phony cross-gen game called Infinite, in collaboration with the studio that brought us Kinect National Geographic?

220px-Kinect_Nat_Geo_TV_cover.png

By partnering with this studio for Infinite, you think Halo is back? A studio that hasn't yet produced a real game? You all have doomed yourselves, there is no possible way this can workout. 343 couldn't put out a simple collection with 3 competent studios, and you think that having them partner with a nobody studio is going to change things for the better?

I guess it's too late now, RIP Halo. At least we still have Gears.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is pretty harsh but I get where you are coming from. Halo 5 mutli was top tier though. I am looking forward to see what happens with the franchise. THey have given infinite plenty of time in the oven. Halo 5 campaign was clearly not finished and i suspect it was much different and larger at one point. Changes were made and what we got was not what they wanted to present.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm not a big GaaS person but at this stage, might as well see what they have. I'm a little confused as how this even comes close to breaking even, Destiny probably didn't do that on multi-platforms, or even at best. They'll need 10s of millions of copies.

A little late at going on 5 years... we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give Halo 4's SP and Spartan Ops credit for having better level design and a decent balance of QTE's, cutscenes, and actual gameplay compared to most shooters post-2008.

I wish Halo 5 never existed.

Phase

I returned Halo 4, didn't buy H5, and have but don't play MCC since they fucked up the playlists and game settings so many times I don't care anymore. Halo will never return to what it was under 343. They're too incompetent. It's dead and buried, and has been for a long time to any original Halo enthusiast.

At least we have Installation 01 (whenever that finishes).

I'm well aware of my stupidity hoping it's good. I can't stand them as a company and have bait and switch me many times.

I'm well aware that the marketing is pandering to nostalgia.

The problem is I like it. It's the first time they have spoken about classic Halo being an actual influence.

I don't enjoy many games nowadays so I'm clinging to hope.

Grinchy

Banned
The campaign for 5 was really boring to me. I made it about 2 hours in and decided my time was worth more than that.

I hope Infinite has a better formula and turns out to be a good enhanced current gen game.

DanielsM

Banned
Halo CE - Great SP, Great MP (put shooters on consoles)
Halo 2 - SP ehhhh, Great MP although I liked CE better, lots of cool new tech
Halo 3 - wheels fell off the bus for me all around... ehhh
Halo ODST - not good to me, I know some like it
Halo CE Anniversary - I actually really like this, 3D was awesome, MP was kind of a let down due to Reach MP
Halo Reach - got it with XBLG I think, ehh, not that great to me
Halo 4 - horrible game, good graphics for Xbox 360, horrible game though

Even if it came to my platform of choice, I doubt I would purchase... just not into Games as a Promise (GaaP).

Roberts

I think I understand the hate for 4 and 5 mostly because of certain choices/changes they made to the story, but it's not like they are substantially worse when it comes to gameplay (I still think the weakest part of all Halo games is one of those repetitious, boring interior levels in the first game). I got 5 kind of late, right after MC came out. So I played all previous games before jumping into 5. And, yes, 5 has the weakest campaign, but it is a totally playable fps and part four maybe surpasses some of the stuff in part 3.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Dude...chill.

I've been a Bungie games fan for a LOOOONGGG time, I'd wager more than most. They weren't knocking home runs out of the park every single time. Marathon wasn't the best trilogy, Oni was....kinda okay..Halo 1 was great, 2....felt like a great expansion, ODST...was fine, 3 cool, Reach was...aight...Destiny had issues....343 has just been okay, not bad, not great, their 2 games have been fine-ish, not what I'd call system must haves, but fine nonetheless. Infinite will be okay or better than expectations, don't need to be so invested long term, shit ain't worth it.

Fbh

I have to agree. Haven't liked what they have done with the franchise so I'm not very optimistic about infinite.
Also from the way they talk about it, it sounds like they want to make it a GaaS which is even less appealing to me. If there's not multiplayer mode where loot is irrelevant I'm out

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm a big fan of Halo in general. I can honestly say I'm happy with whatever comes up when I play MCC social mode. Especially since it WORKS.

I even like Halo 4 MP, heresy I know, although I understand why people didn't like the COD-isms they added to it, I think it plays well.

Infinite needs to be a 10/10, not sure 343 has it in them, but it's do or die.

Last edited:

Rocket786

Halo 5 multi-player is amazing. I also love the single player campaign if you take away the stupid warden boss fights. Those sucked, but the other encounters and levels were a lot of fun to play through on Legendary.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm giving them one more chance with Halo Infinite too. I didn't think Halo 4 was that bad but Halo 5 has the worst SP I've ever played in an AAA title and I didn't even mind the multiple Warden fights that much

The Promethean guns SUCK!!!

PacificNW

I played 4 and 5. I really enjoyed them. Quality games in my opinion. That being said, I understand all the criticisms everyone here has said.

I am very curious to see what 343 has in store for Infinite. 5 year dev time. Much better hardware. I can't wait to see what they show at E3.

I think it will be great. That said, if it's not, Xbox is in trouble.

Nah, Halo hasn't has much impact on Xbox this generation.

Titanfall, Gears Ultimate, Gears 4, Gears 5, Killer Instincts, Ori, Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Crack Down 3, PUBG, Quantum Break, State of Decay, Minecraft, many other games to play than Halo. They will have sequels and new ip on the next console to replace it even more. Best part is Halo is launching with the next console, so if it is a failure they can scrap the series put it on hiatus, focusing on other games instead early in its lifespan.

Great Hair

Banned

What problem? As I'm writing this, Halo 5: Guardians also sits comfortably at 85 on Metacritic. For the record, I think it deserves higher but that isn't my complaint at all. My issue is how outlets arrived at their final scores. Let's take a sampling of Halo 5 reviews from around the web:

Hardcore Gamer, 8/10: "Unfortunately, the campaign leaves much to be desired."

Polygon, 9/10: "The campaign's narrative is likely to prove controversial, though its biggest sin may be its familiarity." Secondary quote: "The story doesn't fail on every front." (Emphasis Polygon's)

Game Revolution, 9/10: "Those who care about the single-player campaign might not find the story to be as compelling [...]"

The Escapist, 9/10: "It's a shame that Halo 5's story is disappointing [...]"

Do you sense a disconnect here? Those seem like curiously high scores given the complaints leveled at the campaign mode.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Putting aside Halo 1-reach since they were developed by Bungie.

Halo 4 sucked, the SP made no sense and the MP took CoD and gave it a Halo skin very poorly thought out. I was hoping we would have new enemies but no the stupid bad guy managed to mind control the covenant so we got them again (sigh). The SP was so forgettable that I’ve actually forgotten 99% of it except the mind control stuff and the promtheans are all what I remember.

343i made a lot of good decisions with Halo 5. The SP was a step up but very still lacklustre I can’t forgive the dumbed down AI though and the promtheans still sucked. They must have reduced the amount of code to make room for the graphics. The graphics in Halo 5 were pretty good at the time another gripe is the horrid sound effects really annoyed me though there was always a boop or beep for audio curs.

The multi in 5 was pretty good even though it was very sweaty lol

I hope 343i pull of Infinite because they do have some talented devs and I would worry for the future of the studio and Halo if it fails.

Putting aside Halo 1-reach since they were developed by Bungie.

Halo 4 sucked, the SP made no sense and the MP took CoD and gave it a Halo skin very poorly thought out. I was hoping we would have new enemies but no the stupid bad guy managed to mind control the covenant so we got them again (sigh). The SP was so forgettable that I’ve actually forgotten 99% of it except the mind control stuff and the promtheans are all what I remember.

343i made a lot of good decisions with Halo 5. The SP was a step up but very still lacklustre I can’t forgive the dumbed down AI though and the promtheans still sucked. They must have reduced the amount of code to make room for the graphics. The graphics in Halo 5 were pretty good at the time another gripe is the horrid sound effects really annoyed me though there was always a boop or beep for audio curs.

The multi in 5 was pretty good even though it was very sweaty lol

I hope 343i pull of Infinite because they do have some talented devs and I would worry for the future of the studio and Halo if it fails.
I'm so bored of the current Covenant.

I hope Infinite introduces some new things.

Stuart360

I always get the sense that Voost makes these kind of threads, then sits back and just watches the fallout lol.

Anyway i havent played Halo 5 so cant comment. I do have this feeling that they are going open world with Infinite, and that it will be a different experience to their past games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I always get the sense that Voost makes these kind of threads, then sits back and just watches the fallout lol.

Anyway i havent played Halo 5 so cant comment. I do have this feeling that they are going open world with Infinite, and that it will be a different experience to their past games.

There's a lot of evidence that Halo 5 was open world at one point. So it would make sense.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I didn't mind Halo 5's campaign during the MC parts. I thought the game was going to be about passing the torch to Locke...which would have pissed me off so I guess my expectations were oddly low. When that didn't happen, I was pleasantly surprised I guess. To be honest, I didn't enjoy the multiplayer as much. Halo's MP just doesn't do it for me anymore. I've grown up, I just require more depth.

Top Bottom