• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't see how anyone could give 343 a chance on Halo Infinite after Halo 5. They have made only one tolerable game in their entire existence.

Banned
Because the hype of Halo 3 carried it. Once that wore off, it was trending down fast.

Reach and Halo 3 both overtook Halo 4 a frew months after its release. that was unheard of. 2 older games in a series both outnumbering the newest one in terms of active players.
that's absolutely the point where Halo went downhill.

Halo 4 did have terrible player retention. The frontloaded sales are the only reason why Microsoft didn't kill 343 after Halo 4 but they should have in hindsight.

Phase

Can't wait until they finally work up the courage to release gameplay, and we see sprint. Who really thinks we'll see no sprint and just base movement speed increased? I wish they had fooled around with Halo 3's design and built from there. There's a playground of possibilities within equipment and that doesn't fundamentally change Halo.

Here's what I would love:

No sprint or AA's on spawn. As map pickups you could make them work.
No loadouts. Players should start matches on completely equal footing and gain their advantage through gameplay within each match.
Increased movement speed. Doesn't have to be Quake-fast, but enough to feel fresh.
Gun always out. Nothing that takes away or interrupts our ability to shoot while moving around the map.

Throw that formula in with new maps and maybe a few new creative game modes on top of the classic ones and you've got a winner.

Banned

No loadouts. Players should start matches on completely equal footing and gain their advantage through gameplay within each match.
Increased movement speed. Doesn't have to be Quake-fast, but enough to feel fresh.
Gun always out. Nothing that takes away or interrupts our ability to shoot while moving around the map.

OR... OR, you could just say you want a real Halo game :messenger_grinning_smiling: because only that 👆 qualifies as a real Halo game.

movement speed to Halo Reach's 125% setting and you're good IMO. Ranked Halo Reach is already pretty good when it comes to all of this. it has no bloom, no loadouts, faster movement and AAs as pickups

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Can't wait until they finally work up the courage to release gameplay, and we see sprint. Who really thinks we'll see no sprint and just base movement speed increased? I wish they had fooled around with Halo 3's design and built from there. There's a playground of possibilities within equipment and that doesn't fundamentally change Halo.

Throw that formula in with new maps and maybe a few new creative game modes on top of the classic ones and you've got a winner.

mmm, i dont think no sprint will work. The 343 approach of disabling shield when sprinting is a good middle ground imo.

Phase

mmm, i dont think no sprint will work. The 343 approach of disabling shield when sprinting is a good middle ground imo.
The thing about no-sprint no-aa's Halo is it is so accessible. It's so easy to just pick up and play. That's a huge reason why it used to be so popular. Even the casual crowd came in droves to play.

JLB

Banned
The thing about no-sprint no-aa's Halo is it is so accessible. It's so easy to just pick up and play. That's a huge reason why it used to be so popular. Even the casual crowd came in droves to play.

nah, no sprint makes old halos much strategic and hard to get into. just try halo 2 mo on mcc and youll se.

stickkidsam

Playing Reach again has me thinking that just having a Sprint limit feels better.

In Halo 5 the constant beeping and reset of your shield recharge is more annoying than satisfying to manage. If Infinite brought back the timer and just gave you a 5 or 7 second Sprint that would be fine by me.

Phase

nah, no sprint makes old halos much strategic and hard to get into. just try halo 2 mo on mcc and youll se.
Dude I played thousands of hours of 2 and 3, and played MCC a bunch. The controls are less complicated, there's less to take in to get going. It's slower yes, but easier to understand what's happening from the start. MCC also isn't a good comparison since those who're still playing it at this point are on average much higher skill level than when Halo was popular. It's a completely different environment now that Halo is basically niche.

Halo was essentially made as a party game. I believe Bungie really nailed the whole low-skill entry but high-skill ceiling perfectly with CE-3. The newer Halo's are so convoluted.

Last edited:
Dude I played thousands of hours of 2 and 3, and played MCC a bunch. The controls are less complicated, there's less to take in to get going. It's slower yes, but easier to understand what's happening from the start. MCC also isn't a good comparison since those who're still playing it at this point are on average much higher skill level than when Halo was popular. It's a completely different environment now that Halo is basically niche.

Halo was essentially made as a party game. I believe Bungie really nailed the whole low-skill entry but high-skill ceiling perfectly with CE-3. The newer Halo's are so convoluted.

Agreed. My father and more casual friends have all stayed away from Halo 5 especially due to this. In fact, a lot of them rarely used abilities outside of clamber and sprint.

I've noticed a lot of them get more frustrated in 4 and 5 because they are needing to sprint, but can't lower their weapon fast enough to return fire. They don't realize it's the case, but it creates bad habits.

These are all things that work against players subconsciously, especially if they are former Halo players.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Opinions. I have played a lot of both as well and really prefer h5.

Heinrich

Banned
I still don’t get why OP is not banned yet and why this thread isn’t closed.

if it would be the other way around, the thread would be closed in an instant.

JLB

Banned
Considering the game gets dropped faster than crazy bitch from tinder, yes, it is a bad thing.

Catering to players who want to play titanfall or cod instead of Halo is precisely the reason Halo is a fucking joke right now.

Ridiculous.
First, the game is STILL active. I have been playing yesterday, and got plenty of matches is literally seconds. And in all modes: WarZone, 4v4, etc
Second, compare H5 to Titanfall and COD just demonstrates you dont know what you are talking about. Played houndreds of hours to the three through the generation, and they are quite different games, as well its user base is not particularly similar.
And finally, why I should fucking care what the rest have to say? If I enjoy Halo 5 I dont really give a damn if 99% of the world thinks otherwise.

Ridiculous.
First, the game is STILL active. I have been playing yesterday, and got plenty of matches is literally seconds. And in all modes: WarZone, 4v4, etc
Second, compare H5 to Titanfall and COD just demonstrates you dont know what you are talking about. Played houndreds of hours to the three through the generation, and they are quite different games, as well its user base is not particularly similar.
And finally, why I should fucking care what the rest have to say? If I enjoy Halo 5 I dont really give a damn if 99% of the world thinks otherwise.

Keep in mind the negative opinions are from people that haven’t typically played Halo in some time.

Reactions: JLB

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Usually the vocal are considered the minority. The amount of people that complain loudly will always be outweighed by those that enjoy something.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands that dropped halo 5 weeks after launch when they played Halo 3 years after launch.

Ridiculous.

Cool story, except ranked games would take anywhere upto half an hour to find a match mere months after launch. It was a pathetic failure of a game.

Second, compare H5 to Titanfall and COD just demonstrates you dont know what you are talking about.

Every single trash mechanic 343 added to Halo was directly pulled from other games such as titanfall and cod.

Played houndreds of hours to the three through the generation, and they are quite different games, as well its user base is not particularly similar.

Hundreds of hours? Congrats, you're a casual with a small amount of play time. The people who stopped playing because of the garbage mechanics that were added, had many thousands of hours played of previous Halo games.

It's as simple as this, fuck off and leave Halo to the community that plays Halo because it is Halo. Fuck off with having it changed to suit players from other games. Fuck off with it being retardified because trash players can't handle the basic Halo mechanics. Fuck off with garbage immersion trash in a science fiction shooter.

There are games for you, and they aren't Halo. Fuck off with trying to change it to suit you.

Halo doesn't need sprint
Halo doesn't need armour abilities
Halo doesn't need dash
Halo doesn't need ADS
Halo doesn't need grenade indicators
Halo doesn't need clamber
Halo doesn't need a fucking stupid animation whenever you grab a powerup.

Halo is a run and gun shooter, not a run or gun shooter.

If you want this garbage, go elsewhere.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I really want to see how they end up making this game. I'm exited because I think they will have a more competitive playlist, better maps, and hopefully much greater pace and controls. I liked when it took time to trek across a map. It made vehicles more useful and really made you want to get in one. What's the point really, if going on foot is just as good or even better? Sort of negates the use of a vehicle for the most part

Looking forward to Big Team Battle like no other

If they build it... they will come.

So far, things look to be on point with Infinite. Halo fans are like Final Fantasy fans, or Resident Evil fans, and any other big franchises that have had amazing games as well as mediocre games which "bring the franchise down"... meaning that despite being burned in the past... real fans of said series will always give a new game a chance. If it turns out great, they'll be back.

Hopefully Infinite turns out great.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands that dropped halo 5 weeks after launch when they played Halo 3 years after launch.

Cool story, except ranked games would take anywhere upto half an hour to find a match mere months after launch. It was a pathetic failure of a game.

Every single trash mechanic 343 added to Halo was directly pulled from other games such as titanfall and cod.

Hundreds of hours? Congrats, you're a casual with a small amount of play time. The people who stopped playing because of the garbage mechanics that were added, had many thousands of hours played of previous Halo games.

It's as simple as this, fuck off and leave Halo to the community that plays Halo because it is Halo. Fuck off with having it changed to suit players from other games. Fuck off with it being retardified because trash players can't handle the basic Halo mechanics. Fuck off with garbage immersion trash in a science fiction shooter.

There are games for you, and they aren't Halo. Fuck off with trying to change it to suit you.

Halo doesn't need sprint
Halo doesn't need dash
Halo doesn't need ADS

who are you that you can decide what halo is and what not?
Maybe halo needs to evolve

JLB

Banned

Halo doesn't need sprint
Halo doesn't need dash
Halo doesn't need ADS

let me put it that simple: go fuck youself. ill play whatever game i want, the way i want and dont give a shit about your opinion. good weekend

Last edited:

Phase

who are you that you can decide what halo is and what not?
Maybe halo needs to evolve
This is always said. The thing is, they need to evolve the game while keeping its formula (which made it wildly successful) intact. Everything they've added has taken Halo further from its original gameplay, and in turn made it more like other shooters. The thing is, the other shooters already do what Halo's now trying to copy better than Halo anyway. It's already been a failed endeavor (in terms of player base and longevity).

They need to amplify what made Halo unique instead of diluting it.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Ragnarok is that you?
Dude, I don't think the core gameplay is what kill Halo 5 at launch. You had the garbage story, lackluster campaign gameplay, no forge, no theater, no BTB, shit customs, and maybe 5(?) playlists to play at launch and I'm pretty sure 2 of those were Slayer while the others were a couple objectives on the same 3 - 4 decent maps.

If you look at the gameplay though, thruster packs, jump jets, and even clamber all added to the mobility of the game while keeping to Halo's principal of everyone having the same core abilities that Reach started shifted from. You can argue sprint's effect on map size and gunfights or how shoulder checking/ground pound are fluff (though I love the latter for it's dumb fun factor) but 343 did streamline and refine some interesting ideas in the sandbox.

There's nothing that can be done to further resolve Halo 5's issues; the art design still hasn't touched Bungie's, the Audio shoots too hard for realism and sounds like a box of legos, crap like hit markers replace organic feedback like Reach's shield pop, microtransactions are a cancer which we'll likely see return, and the campaign's only achievement is that it is somehow the blandest, most uninteresting and yet at the same time amongst the most disappointing campaigns I've ever played.

Nevertheless, the game has made strides. Say what ya will about Halo 5's dumpster fire of a launch, but the folks at 343 have seriously overhauled the game. Custom Browsers, tons of custom game options, a MASSIVE Forge that has allowed cartographers to put even some dev made maps to shame visually, shit tons of returning weapons, and a decent selection of playlists that make rotations all points to 343 having the ability to give us a decent if not proper Halo game. Here's hoping Infinite doesn't shit the bed harder than a Grunt fresh off the nipple.

Phase

If you were brand new to gaming, and read the thread title, you would think Halo 5 was one of the worst games ever made. I mean talk about hyperbole.
It's obviously posted on a game enthusiast forum. As with anything, context matters. Weird deflection.

Riven326

Banned
Could 343 make other games? Will ms let them?
No. They won't let them and they don't tell us why. I've wanted to know why for years. You'd think with as few studios as Microsoft has to draw from, that it would make sense to let their studios do more than just one IP until the end of time.

But so far no answers and games journalists refuse to ask.

Banned
If the gameplay wasn't trash, people would have kept playing it, they didn't, hence the gameplay is trash.

the gameplay isn't trash it is just overly complicated for no reason other than to be different.
that's the issue.

the beauty of Halo always was that the core mechanics were simple, and the complexity and depth came with map control strategies and map knowledge... that last part alone is hugely important in classic halo, having perfect Nade throws was a big part of controlling the fight, knowing trick jumps and being able to perform them even during heated battles made a huge difference.

that simplicity in gameplay but depth through knowledge went away with Halo 5 completely and was replaced with multiple abilities that you need to string together to get to places... thrusting then using stabilizers and then using clamber to get to places is not only slow but also very cumbersome to even pull off... it lacks the sleek simplicity of Halo 2 and 3 where a quick backwards jump at the exact perfect place and angle could give you the edge over your opponent... quick, elegant and you don't have to play Twister with you fingers on your controller.

another issue with Halo since 5 is that after Halo 4 and how casual-Call of Duty it went, they overcorrected in Halo 5 to be SUPER MLG PRO ESPORT ready... all the maps feel like they were made for MLG rules... 5v5 was replaced with 4v4 like MLG rules... the whole esthetic is very eSport-esque and bigger maps are only to be found in big team battle.

Halo 3 was way better in this regard, it had bigger maps like Valhalla that were played 5v5 and were slightly asymmetric and not at all eSport ready by design. they felt more fun. there was a middle-ground between fun and competitive play here.
Halo 3 in 5v5 on medium sized maps was by far my favorite way to play Halo.
now you either have competitive style 4v4 on smaller and often perfectly symmetric maps or 8v8 on gigantic maps... and nothing in between.

4v4 on eSports like maps should be reserved for Ranked playlists, and a 5v5 social slayer/objective playlist should be the default way to play Halo again. with medium or even bigger maps in the map rotation that can be more designed for silly fun instead of super serious balance.

were Halo 4 was too Call of Duty killstreak bullshit casual, Halo 5 was way too MLG PRO wannabe eSport.
don't design everything around 4v4 eSport balance, and don't make the basic movement too crammed with abilities... is that so hard?

Last edited:
the gameplay isn't trash it is just overly complicated for no reason other than to be different.
that's the issue.

the beauty of Halo always was that the core mechanics were simple, and the complexity and depth came with map control strategies and map knowledge... that last part alone is hugely important in classic halo, having perfect Nade throws was a big part of controlling the fight, knowing trick jumps and being able to perform them even during heated battles made a huge difference.

that simplicity in gameplay but depth through knowledge went away with Halo 5 completely and was replaced with multiple abilities that you need to string together to get to places... thrusting then using stabilizers and then using clamber to get to places is not only slow but also very cumbersome to even pull off... it lacks the sleek simplicity of Halo 2 and 3 where a quick backwards jump at the exact perfect place and angle could give you the edge over your opponent... quick, elegant and you don't have to play Twister with you fingers on your controller.

Whuh?

The issue that most Halo fans point out is that Halo 4 and 5 took the complexity OUT of the games and replaced them with ease of access mechanics from Call of Duty.

Phase

Whuh?

The issue that most Halo fans point out is that Halo 4 and 5 took the complexity OUT of the games and replaced them with ease of access mechanics from Call of Duty.
The problem is the newer Halo's are convoluted. Yes, they added more casual mechanics but that doesn't make them inherently less complicated. It adds more nonsense to the game that detracts from what used to be the core emphasis - movement, map knowledge, weapon control, map control. Now those things are less important because the game has less depth.

They added surface level complication. You and 01011001 01011001 are both right.

Last edited:

Pansy

This is a series I've struggled to get into in general. I just never found the combat and story that intriguing and well, just kind of generic. I don't see how any future sequels would improve it.

Last edited:
This is a series I've struggled to get into in general. I just never found the combat and story that intriguing and well, just kind of generic.
Really?

I could maybe understand not liking the story and combat, but the overall story is pretty cool and not generic.

I would say that they blatantly ripped off aspects (like Sgt Johnson being a fucking clone of the Sarge from Aliens) but my biggest issue is how confusing and convoluted the story can be. Even worse, you almost have to read the novels or wikis to understand what the fuckles is going on.

Last edited:

Graciaus

This is a series I've struggled to get into in general. I just never found the combat and story that intriguing and well, just kind of generic. I don't see how any future sequels would improve it.
I never really enjoyed any of the stories outside of Reach. But one day a random lore video popped up on Youtube and after I spend hours listening to Halo lore. The expanded universe is much more interesting then anything the games put together.

Top Bottom