• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I chatted with Ken from XSEED. Nothing big, but something I'd like to share.

Hobbun

We also have an enhanced remake of a classic PSone RPG in North America that we'll be announcing soon

That could be almost any PS1 RPG, lots of classics from that system.

I think we can rule out anything from major publishers. Don't expect any SE, Konami or Capcom remakes as they would probably handle it themselves, especially SE.

Wait, wasn't there word recently on the original Vandal Hearts being remade? (Online only) Could it be that? I can't remember who said were remaking it.

Maybe Alundra? Grandia? (Or was Game Arts bought out by SE?)

I am getting excited now.

B.K.

Since he says they're announcing soon, we can assume that it's already been announced or released in Japan.

Hobbun

Oh, do we know if this is going to be a remake for the PS2? Or PS3? If it says in the article, I cannot tell as I am at work and the website is blocked.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hobbun said:
That could be almost any PS1 RPG, lots of classics from that system.

I think we can rule out anything from major publishers. Don't expect any SE, Konami or Capcom remakes as they would probably handle it themselves, especially SE.

Wait, wasn't there word recently on the original Vandal Hearts being remade? (Online only) Could it be that? I can't remember who said were remaking it.

Maybe Alundra? Grandia? (Or was Game Arts bought out by SE?)

I am getting excited now.

Hmmm, Growlanser PSP?

BIG update!

Questions:

1. Is Little King's Story officially coming out on July 21st?

2. Aside from that one new UMA and the artwork museam, is there any other possible NA-exclusive content over the PAL release?

3. Apparently LKS doesn't support 560p or whatever PAL's equivelent of 480p is, does the NA version support 480p and DPLII for sure?

4. Same with Arc Rise Fantasia, while no one's officially said it's 480i only, can you check to see if it does support 480p and DPLII?

5. How has Rune Factory Frontier sold so far? ******** claims it's sold around 40,000 in both JP and NA totalling at 80,000, are they far off? Have sales been "good"? I hope it's much higher than this as the DS games show to be selling around 300,000 each at ********. :(

6. How are things looking for Kizuna? I know it's gotten a low score by Famitsu, but does that kill any chance of the game coming over? Is XSEED definitely not bringing it over?

7. I want to point out a typo in RFF, specifically the "you're" seems to always be "you 're", is that an oversight or you couldn't get to display that properly for some reason?

8. Amazing work bringing over Fragile! :D I wanted to ask if XSEED recongizes the combat and such that seems to be a problem in the game, either being too dull or unresponsive, I don't exactly remember, but I HIGHLY suggest reading as many reviews that will surely address this problem, so that you guys can find a way to fix it before it's too late!

9. Finally, I've seen AQ and XSEED's forcast chart and such that shows how many you guys are localizing:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/19/xseed-releasing-more-games-this-year-than-ever-before/

Now I'm sure I've figured out all of the titles on that list in the NA section, I'll show you below:

Assuming the top row is for consoles and the bottom for handhelds:

Wii: Little King’s Story, Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga, Arc Rise Fantasia, Ju-On, Fragile
WiiWare: Drill Sergeant Mindstrong
DS: Flower, Sun, and Rain, Ragnarok Online
PSP: Half-Minute Hero, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

I think that's all for the confirmed ones.

Now it seems that you guys have 6 Console games (5 if Mindstrong doesn't count) and 4 Handheld games in total on that chart.

There's just one console game left if DSM is counted. I'm undecided about DSM because is it an XSEED-original game, where as the charts for localizations only?

Maybe you can clear this up for me. :p

If all this is correct, I'm safe to assume the last console game is indeed a Wii game? Retail or WiiWare?

Reply:

I don't know about the screen resolutions, but I'll answer the other questions that I can:

- Yes, Little King's Story is coming out on July 21st. Official announcement will be going out soon, probably later this week.
- Yes, there is an extra hard "Tyrant" mode in the NA release of Little King's Story.
- Can't share exact numbers, but Rune Factory: Frontier has sold OK, though we could always use more sales.
- We will not pursue Kizuna.
- If "you're" is always showing as "you 're" then that's probably just the font set. Depending on what kind of fonts you use (arial, times new roman, etc.), each letter and the spacing between them appears differently. If it was just one time then that's probably just a typo that slipped by on our part.
- We are aware of all the impressions that people had from playing Fragile, but even if nothing is tuned for the NA release, we feel the overall great experience outweighs any minor gameplay issues.
- You are correct, that list you made is not our entire lineup. There are still two titles that we haven't announced yet; one for Wii and one for DS. Both of these titles are scheduled to be revealed in July.

Neat stuff! Good to see that RFF did at least "OK". :)

And what could the Wii and DS games be? My money's on Discipline since they're not bringing over Kizuna after all.

Emotions

Interesting that they have 2 more titles yet to be released Wii and DS. XSeed lineup is the one i care about the most this year. :lol With Ignition, Atlus, Nintendo being in a close second.
DS title could be RIZ-ZOAWD that Wizard of Oz like RPG from "Media Vision" creators of Wild Arms series.
As for Wii could be Fatal Frame 4 (one can only wish)..

Hero of Legend said:
BIG update!

And what could the Wii and DS games be? My money's on Discipline since they're not bringing over Kizuna after all.

Wait...another Wii & DS game? Glad to see that XSEED loves the Nintendo systems so much. I feel as if I should buy all of their games just to show them that I love that they are bringing over niche games.

Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Ju-On, Little King's Story are all games I want

GhaleonQ

I have nothing to say about the update, but I'm really glad that you're still doing them. *hopes for awesome July localization announcements*

I'm sadly certain it's not FF4, we've seen the reasons. Like because Nintendo's not letting even Tecmo do it, and XSEED already said they weren't doing it, they did say someone was doing it, but I guess that was true at the time, but it sadly seems by now it's been decided otherwise. :/

I'm not sure if XSEED specifically meant retail or WiiWare as a possibility. If WW counts, it's got to be Discipline, that was supposed to be out in JP back in May, but obviously that wasn't the case.

If it's retail... it could be something we don't even know yet at all perhaps?

VegaShinra

Hero of Legend said:
I'm sadly certain it's not FF4, we've seen the reasons. Like because Nintendo's not letting even Tecmo do it, and XSEED already said they weren't doing it, they did say someone was doing it, but I guess that was true at the time, but it sadly seems by now it's been decided otherwise. :/

I'm not sure if XSEED specifically meant retail or WiiWare as a possibility. If WW counts, it's got to be Discipline, that was supposed to be out in JP back in May, but obviously that wasn't the case.

If it's retail... it could be something we don't even know yet at all perhaps?
True. I'm trying to think of some Japanese games we haven't heard much of that they could potentially acquire and bring over. I just can't think of any big RPG titles for Wii or DS in Japan right now.

Stage On said:
I hope the DS title is Retro Game Challenge 2

Never played the original, but I certainly hope it comes for the fans that really want it to come over!

XSEED did say the odds weren't good, but they said similarly about Shiren 3, that it wouldn't be a likely success, but alas, Atlus did it!

But since this is about them bringing the game themselves, I'm not getting my hopes up. :(

GhaleonQ

VegaShinra said:
True. I'm trying to think of some Japanese games we haven't heard much of that they could potentially acquire and bring over. I just can't think of any big RPG titles for Wii or DS in Japan right now.

There are quite a few with "big names" attached, but I genuinely have no clue why Inazuma 11 hasn't been localized. Level-5's swimming in cash, Shaolin Soccer came out over here, soccer's popularily extends outside of Japan, I hear, a sequel and Wii port are in the works, and it's a stellar game (my favorite new property this generation).

Emotions

VegaShinra said:

DS RPGs there's plenty but those are more into Atlus, Sega, SE territories for bringing over.

-Summon Night DS (more into Atlus territory)
-Summon Night 2 DS (same)
-7th Dragon (Atlus or Sega)
- Shining Force Feather (Atlus or Sega)
- Tactical Guild (Atlus territory)
- Culdcept Saga (Sega)
- Shiren 2 DS (Atlus since they're bringing Shiren 3 Wii)
- Sigma Harmonics (SE)
- Saga 2 (SE)
- Blood of Bahamut (SE)
- DQ IX (SE)
- Summon Night Tears Crown (Atlus)

That only reduces the list to Nintendo published RPG's (Soma Bringer, ASH, Card Hero) Very doubtful.
And there's RIZ-ZOAWD (Media Vision), Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) ,Tactics Layer (Ninja Studio) and Dungeons & Dam (Acquire) that could possibly be brought over by them.
I didn't list Scamco tales of series games on DS because i doubt they would license it.

As for Wii i can't imagine what is yet to be brought over everything that is Japan only remotely interesting has been announced to come over... except the Nintendo published stuff. Dunno what's in XSeed's plate about another Wii game.

VegaShinra

Emotions said:
DS RPGs there's plenty but those are more into Atlus, Sega, SE territories for bringing over.

-Summon Night DS (more into Atlus territory)
-Summon Night 2 DS (same)
- Shining Force Feather (same or Sega)
- Tactical Guild (Atlus territory)
- Culdcept Saga (Sega)
- Shiren 2 DS (Atlus since they're bringing Shiren 3 Wii)
- Sigma Harmonics (SE)
- Saga 2 (SE)
- Blood of Bahamut (SE)
- DQ IX (SE)
- Summon Night Tears Crown (Atlus)

That only reduces the list to Nintendo published RPG's (Soma Bringer, ASH, Card Hero) Very doubtful.
And there's RIZ-ZOAWD (Media Vision), Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) ,Tactics Layer (Ninja Studio) and Dungeons & Dam (Acquire) that could possibly be brought over by them.
I didn't list Scamco tales of series games on DS because i doubt they would license it.

As for Wii i can't imagine what is yet to be brought over everything that is Japan only remotely interesting has been announced to come over... except the Nintendo published stuff. Dunno what's in XSeed's plate about another Wii game.
The DS game could be anything. It's the Wii title that's hard to figure out.

Emotions

VegaShinra said:
The DS game could be anything. It's the Wii title that's hard to figure out.

I agree... I also forgot about 7th Dragon wich i edited above but that's more into Atlus or Sega themselves as well.

Hero of Legend said:
BIG update!

Questions:

Reply:

Worrying that he did not answer the question about 480p. :|

MoogPaul

The lack of a PAL version of Inazuma Eleven for me to import is completely baffling. I can understand no NA version, but no soccer rpg for the UK? Weird...

Shadow780 said:
Teh new SD Gundam!!

:(

Or Super Robot Wars NEO, but that's Atlus territory.

The SD Gundam game looks more interesting though.

Perhaps we should look at some obscure games from smaller JP devs? Like Go! Go! Minon which UFO is bringing over as Dimino Rally. Perhaps it doesn't have to be an RPG, though that's the favorable thing for them to bring over. :p

Emotions

Hero of Legend said:
Or Super Robot Wars NEO, but that's Atlus territory.

The SD Gundam game looks more interesting though.

Perhaps we should look at some obscure games from smaller JP devs? Like Go! Go! Minon which UFO is bringing over as Dimino Rally. Perhaps it doesn't have to be an RPG, though that's the favorable thing for them to bring over. :p

Only Super Robot Wars OG could be brought over the rest are a lincensing mess.

There's one possible contender for the Wii game.

Jaleco's "The RPG", while not confirmed for the Wii, it's not hard to doubt that it's for the Wii.

But since XSEED's not localizing Kizuna, that doesn't raise any hope now does it? :(

Perhaps NISA is doing Kizuna, they brought over Puchi Puchi Virus.

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
There's one possible contender for the Wii game.

Jaleco's "The RPG", while not confirmed for the Wii, it's not hard to doubt that it's for the Wii.

But since XSEED's not localizing Kizuna, that doesn't raise any hope now does it? :(

Perhaps NISA is doing Kizuna, they brought over Puchi Puchi Virus.

I doubt it. I don't think NISA deals with much outside of Hitmaker, Gust, and Idea Factory. Didn't Kizuna get pretty terrible reviews anyway?

Stage On said:
I hope the DS title is Retro Game Challenge 2
This.

They keep saying how many fan requests they get for this game but say the sales aren't enough. How can they expect to build a fan base if they don't follow through with subsequent releases?

The seem happy to continue with the Valhalla Knights series*, and that's not a critically acclaimed series nor a blockbuster sales wise. (To my knowledge.) At least Retro Game Challenge has some buzz and a fervent following. It may not be the massive seller they want it to be, but XSEED is primarily a niche publisher. It's to be expected that a series will need time to grow.

It's one of their most unique properties currently, it would be a major shame to see them drop the ball by ditching it.

* Note: I'm not trying to put down the Valhalla Knights series, I'm just using it as a comparable of another niche series.

Emotions

AniHawk said:
I doubt it. I don't think NISA deals with much outside of Hitmaker, Gust, and Idea Factory. Didn't Kizuna get pretty terrible reviews anyway?

They picked up Puchi Puchi Virus and that is a Jaleco game. They could perfectly bring over Kizuna but i don't think they will.
They're quite busy deciding wich Idea Factory masterpiece RPGs they're going to localize next.

Emotions

Hero of Legend said:
Wait a minute...

Sky Crawlers maybe?! :O

That would be ace... I had completely forgotten about the existence of that game... If they're bringing Fragile over could be a possibility Scamco handed the rights to publish...

Gunloc said:
This.

They keep saying how many fan requests they get for this game but say the sales aren't enough. How can they expect to build a fan base if they don't follow through with subsequent releases?

The seem happy to continue with the Valhalla Knights series*, and that's not a critically acclaimed series nor a blockbuster sales wise. (To my knowledge.) At least Retro Game Challenge has some buzz and a fervent following. It may not be the massive seller they want it to be, but XSEED is primarily a niche publisher. It's to be expected that a series will need time to grow.

It's one of their most unique properties currently, it would be a major shame to see them drop the ball by ditching it.

* Note: I'm not trying to put down the Valhalla Knights series, I'm just using it as a comparable of another niche series.

Here's hoping they're holding off on announcing it in order to surprise everyone.

pulga

Banned
This thread has just reminded me that Inazuma Eleven has not yet been brought over and probably never will. Same as Soma Bringer. I'm gonna go cry now.

pulga said:
This thread has just reminded me that Inazuma Eleven has not yet been brought over and probably never will. Same as Soma Bringer. I'm gonna go cry now.
Yeah, I'm shocked someone like Rising Star hasn't at least taken a stab at it in Europe. Seems like it would do well there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gunloc said:

How can they expect to build a fan-base with 4 digit sales numbers?

The seem happy to continue with the Valhalla Knights series*, and that's not a critically acclaimed series nor a blockbuster sales wise.

If you define blockbuster as "more than 4 digits of sales", then yes, it is comparatively a blockbuster.

It may not be the massive seller they want it to be, but XSEED is primarily a niche publisher. It's to be expected that a series will need time to grow.

Sure, but if you need to sell, for instance, 50k copies of something to break even... and you sell 10k copies... and then with the sequel, you need to sell 55k copies to break even because your licencing costs went up and it's got more content anyway... and you sell 20k copies... it's true that you're building your fanbase between installments, but you went from a 40,000 copy deficit to a 75,000 copy deficit.

Making matters worse is that it's not an XSeed property, so even if they were magically able to make it profitable, there's no reason Namco couldn't yank it and publish it themselves. There's also no indication there will be a third release with which to "continue" the franchise in Japan, and the stateside DVD release seems to have fallen through.

Stumpokapow said:
How can they expect to build a fan-base with 4 digit sales numbers?
Did they release sales numbers? I wasn't aware of any.

Whether or not the series continues in Japan, I know there is still many people in North America who would like to play the second game. It's been brought up in almost every interview with XSEED since it's announcement, and as mentioned before, they said the fan reactions has been sizable. I just don't get how sales can be so horrible, at least not compared to some of their other releases. Though it's possible that their might be additional licensing costs since it's based on a television property.

Making matters worse is that it's not an XSeed property, so even if they were magically able to make it profitable, there's no reason Namco couldn't yank it and publish it themselves. There's also no indication there will be a third release with which to "continue" the franchise in Japan, and the stateside DVD release seems to have fallen through.
While Namco USA could do it themselves, they really don't seemed interested in any of their smaller Japanese releases. I'm just glad Namco is finally letting some other studios pick up some of the games they have passed on.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gunloc said:
Did they release sales numbers? I wasn't aware of any.

First-month numbers were released and XSEED has said over and over again that the current numbers don't support a viable localization of the second game.

Whether or not the series continues in Japan, I know there is still many people in North America who would like to play the second game. It's been brought up in almost every interview with XSEED since it's announcement, and as mentioned before, they said the fan reactions has been sizable.

Well, sure, but people really need to realize that GAF, Siliconera, Go Nintendo, and the Nintendo section of Joy stiq is not representative of even a fraction of game buyers out there. Just because it seems like that game is big in certain circles doesn't mean it was... and it really wasn't.

Stumpokapow said:
First-month numbers were released and XSEED has said over and over again that the current numbers don't support a viable localization of the second game.
Do you happen to have the first month numbers handy?

Tain

wait wait

Shiren 3 is coming via Atlus? Cool.

also, supposedly-old-style-but-not-really psuedo-game non-challenge is really bad. XSEED shouldn't bother risking anything with the sequel. :|

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Tain said:
also, supposedly-old-style-but-not-really psuedo-game non-challenge is really bad. XSEED shouldn't bother risking anything with the sequel. :|

"Really bad", I think, is going a bit far. But it's not exactly outstanding either. Demon Returns is no Haggleman 3.

TunaLover

What? Fragile? Xseed? Confirmed? When happened this =O

Shocking "news" to me =)

Crossing fingers to they localize Sky Crawlers too =O.

GhaleonQ

Tain said:

In any case, the sequel is WAY better (and what I hoped the first would be when reading it).

Top Bottom