• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Come To Shanghai: Eternal Life Vol. 1 Debuts 7/12/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

t5rnkm.jpg

I believe you'll be able to download it for whatever price you wish on their homepage.
http://icometoshanghai.com/

Robert Ashley and Sam Frigard are set to release their followup album to their self-titled debut album I Come To Shanghai. I Come To Shanghai's new album Eternal Life Vol. 1 will be available tomorrow morning at around 10:00AM EST.

You can listen to the first track off of the album here:
http://onethirtybpm.com/media/listen-i-come-to-shanghai-love-shark-trapped-in-a-dream-stand-by/

You can still download the debut album for any price here:
http://www.icometoshanghai.com/old/home.html

I'm really looking forward to this album since the first one was outstanding. I heard about them from listening to GFW Radio and A Life Well Wasted. I really encourage people to give this album a listen, because the first album had a really cool sound.

Lijik

Nice! The first album was in my regular rotation for quite a while after it came out. Looking forward to this!

Archurro

Any clarification on how this related to A Life Well Wasted. I only ask because this popped up on the ALWW RSS feed, but from what I understand, it has nothing to do with the show?

Listening to it now on the ALWW feed. Definitely buying the FLAC version tomorrow.

Archurro said:
Any clarification on how this related to A Life Well Wasted. I only ask because this popped up on the ALWW RSS feed, but from what I understand, it has nothing to do with the show?
A Life Well Wasted

Music by: I Come to Shanghai

JABEE

Archurro said:
Robert Ashley makes A Life Well Wasted and he is a member of the two person band. I Come To Shanghai's music is used in the show.

Archurro

JABEE said:
Robert Ashley makes A Life Well Wasted and he is a member of the two person band. I Come To Shanghai's music is used in the show.
Ok, so besides the creator, there's nothing content related of the two? Because I'm jonesing for another ALWW.

AiTM

Banned
I think the whole volume was released on the ALWW update today. I listened to it, and I think its the whole "Volume 1", with Volume 2 to be out shortly. Could be wrong though. The first song is great.

I just listened to the first track...I'll still grab it but I really thought they were at their best with the more directed kitschy pop tunes on the first record. I generally dislike soundscaps at first listen anyways though, so maybe it'll grow on me. Either way, the first record earned them a purchase of this one.

This album is much tighter than their first. The tracks are well produced, even though I kinda liked the some of the more raw tracks in the original album. If I had to pick one thing to critique, I wish there was less synth stuff and more singing.

JABEE

The Big Rig said:
This album is much tighter than their first. The tracks are well produced, even though I kinda liked the some of the more raw tracks in the original album. If I had to pick one thing to critique, I wish there was less synth stuff and more singing.
Did you get to listen to the full album?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This album is great, I've been listening to it all morning. It feels very much influenced by the Jim Guthrie music from Sword and Sworcery, the synth tones are very similar.

It is definitely a lot more ambitious and far reaching than the first record and I think this works well with the sound they've come up with. It's hypnotic and the long instrumental passages are satisfying rather than annoying. I like the song based nature of the first record but I really enjoy the 'suite' approach to this release. It sounds 'of a whole' which is something I always appeciate in music.

As soon as I get home I'll be laying down some pennies for this baby and pimping it out on my FB. Which isn't to say much, my friends are probably sick of me pimping music out, I do it at least once a week...

colinp

Banned
The Commute is one of my favorite songs. Absolutely love the lyrics. Any songs that reach the same majesty?

randomwab said:
Nice. Loved the first album, still on my iPhone and gets regular listens. Hope I can grab a physical CD again too.

Yeah me too, the album art last time was awesome and I would love to support them by buying a physical copy again ^_^

ngower

I wasn't a fan of the album and I'm not really into Ashley's music, but the drive up to the NH seacoast was spent listening to ALWW and some of the album, and that memory will forever be engrained in my memory. I'd like to support this release, but I just don't have the money.

eznark

Banned
colinp said:
The Commute is one of my favorite songs. Absolutely love the lyrics. Any songs that reach the same majesty?

Hell yeah it is. Love that song. That whole album was surprisingly good. I say surprising because it's not really my usual type of music. Looking forward to listening to this one.

Imperial Hot said:
Oh god oh god, why must I be at work :( Oh well, I downloaded the podcast (from A Life Well Wasted) which had a 20 min sneak peek. Loved it! :D

Edit: Would it be weird if I were to buy the FLAC version off of Bandcamp and then paid nothing for the MP3?

-Mikey-

Simon Belmont said:
I hope there's something on this album that can even lick the taint of how great 'I Watch You Sleep' is.

My favorite song from the first album.

Listening to the new album right now. It's definitely different from their first.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta admit, I thought it was kind of in bad taste this popped up in my ALWW feed.
But the music was pretty good, I was got really high expecting to listen to ALWW but listened to this instead.

JABEE

The production is really good on this one. The person who said it was much tighter was right. I do wish it would have had more traditional instruments an vocals and less synth.

Listening to the first run now.. loving Stand By and Halley's Comet, which really reminds me of their first album. <3

Edit: Fuuu- and it's over.. All glorious 21 minutes of it. :( Can't wait for Vol. 2, any word on that?

randrews

Neo Member
I'm in the midst of listening to this right now. This is the album that I wanted the Flaming Lips' Embroynic to be.

JABEE

I just listened to it again and I loved the opening of the third track. I like that it is more of a guitar-driven song.

Kraut

The synth put me off a bit at first, but it's grown on me. I like the condensed multi-song organization too, it creates a cohesive pseudo-concept album feeling. Props to Robert and Sam, especially for releasing a FLAC version. Most people probably don't appreciate it, but it's great to see someone taking the time for what I would guess is a small audience of audiophiles.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
acheron_xl said:
It's really well done. It just sounds really good. Kudos to whoever produced and engineered it.
Yeah it sounded great. I actually listened to it again today.

andycapps

I'll check this out soon.. I'm curious how Robert's enjoying being back down south and having access to BBQ.

Enron said:
Oh hey, these guys are from Athens!

They live there now, but I don't think they're originally from there. Lots of good music there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom