• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I decided to start watching Hockey, what do I need to know?

Rival

Gold Member
I haven’t really followed hockey since I jumped off the Blackhawks bandwagon years ago. But it’s pretty great when your team makes a big playoff run. Playoff hockey is pretty intense.

cryptoadam

Banned
Lifelong Lightning fan chiming in. WE THE CHAMPS

Anyways, hockey is one of the most exciting of sports to me. I remember watching the oilers vs lightning a few years ago. Lightning were up by 5 in the third and then out of nowhere the whole rink busted out in a brawl. Saw some guys duking it out about 15 feet away from me lol. It was just this massive bar fight looking thing on the ice that took about 5 minutes to break up with the officials.

Teams to not support: Leafs, Canadiens(screw them), Blawkhawks, Redwings, and Bruins(THE WORST)
I know you say you picked the Leafs but please reconsider OP.
Fixed your list because you are correct the Bruins are the worst and the Leafs suck. But Habs are the best and sexiest. Bergevins muscles will crush your head like a pea if you disagree.

And look there is no reforming leafs fans. Some people are born into it so you can't fault them, but he activly chose them. He is a lost cause at this point. At least he isn't a Senators fan!

manfestival

Why the Bruins hate then ? Is it because they are a threat to your beloved Bolts ?
Either way I could care less and hockey is like # 4 on my personal list of favorite sports.
To be completely honest. They have always been a very good team. Though it is a back and forth battle. The Bolts are as much of a threat to them as they are to the bolts. Their fans are the worst. Every time I go to a game they get into fights and are really obnoxious. Granted, that is literally fans of every Boston team. I despise the Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox(I don't even like baseball) as well. Plus in the past(less in these recent years) they would even take up about a third or MORE of the Lightning home arena. Way too many Boston fans in Tampa.
That seem legitimate enough for you?

Last edited:

DESTROYA

To be completely honest. They have always been a very good team. Though it is a back and forth battle. The Bolts are as much of a threat to them as they are to the bolts. Their fans are the worst. Every time I go to a game they get into fights and are really obnoxious. Granted, that is literally fans of every Boston team. I despise the Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox(I don't even like baseball) as well. Plus in the past(less in these recent years) they would even take up about a third or MORE of the Lightning home arena. Way too many Boston fans in Tampa.
That seem legitimate enough for you?
Would love to visit Tampa one day seems like a beautiful city and your welcome for Tom Brady :messenger_sunglasses:

GAMETA

Banned
If you put the disk into the little goal place you score, but you gotta watch for the usually fat goal keeper, they're ass. In case of doubt, beat the shit out of the adversaries.

Also, play this game, it will teach you all you need to know

Jk, I know nothing of hockey, I've only watched that 80's/90's movie of the kids with a duck shirt

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I haven’t really followed hockey since I jumped off the Blackhawks bandwagon years ago. But it’s pretty great when your team makes a big playoff run. Playoff hockey is pretty intense.
You shoulda followed it last season. They qualified for the qualifying round and took out the Oilers! This season they'll be bad. Toews on LT injury list with undisclosed injury.

If you like listening to sports radio as filler, listen to either Fan 590 or TSN 1050 after the Leafs lose a game. Put it on as background noise as you surf the net. It's like the Hindenberg crashed and every caller is going to jump off a bridge. Then if Leafs won, it's like they are going to win the cup. The fanbase is that on edge.

There were years where in preseason, the Leafs might have great exhibition games going 5-0 in September as every team is testing out young players and the fanbase thinks thats good enough to win the cup. It's hilarious.

As for fights, it doesn't happen much anymore. Youll be lucky to get one fight. Back in the 80s and even most of the 90s, every team had 2-3 goons whose purpose would be to fight. Teams and players back then would have tons of penalty minutes. Now, it's a speed and skill game.
That level of drama is right up my alley

Rival

Gold Member
You shoulda followed it last season. They qualified for the qualifying round and took out the Oilers! This season they'll be bad. Toews on LT injury list with undisclosed injury.
Truth be told I’ve kind of given up on most sports for the time being. Still watching some nba but it’s just not the same to me with no or very small crowds.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I should be in that area by the end of summer. So I will watch this season and go full throttle the start of next season.
Other things to watch out for when you arrive.

When you buy shit, tax is 13% unless it's something deemed essential which can be 0% tax. But for typical shit like jeans or a video game. 13% bud!

Beer is mainly bought at The Beer Store or LCBO (liquor store), but many grocery stores and Walmart now sells beer. But for the most variety and 24 packs, go to The Beer Store. Don't be shocked when you see the prices here. But the taxes on booze and gasoline is insane. Chances are certain gasoline costs a lot more here too even when factoring the exchange rate.

The city has shit transit unless you are lucky and live on the subway line. If you have to resort to bussing or streetcar, good luck. Luckily covid has lots of people working from home so gridlock isn't so bad anymore.

If you decide to live here long term, at some point (I don't know the rules) look into getting an OHIP card. That's what we all have to cover medical expenses.

Your work will probably give you perks for drugs and dentist and eyecare. You may need to pay a deductible if your employer doesn't cover 100% of it. But usually close enough. But for doctor's visits, hospital visits, surgery, break an arm etc..... it's all covered as long as you show the person working the desk your health card.

Not all things are. For example you actually got to pay for crutches. And certain blood tests aren't covered. It's weird. Something like an important xray will be covered, but a blood test to help find an issue too might not be. So you'd have to pay $30. You can claim medical expenses on income tax too just in case, but in order to get money back you got to hit a certain cost threshold or you get $0 back.

Nobody I know has supplemental healthcare like the US where you guys pay out of pocket like $300/mth on top of what an employer already covers.

Last edited:
1: They are 15 people on the ice: 1 Referee, 2 linesman, and each side have one of each: A goalie, a left and a right wing, 2 defenceman and a center. Players can change at any time.

2: Get to know you favorite team (in this case, the Maple Leafs) a bit more. Get to know who's who, the players, the coaches and the owner. Have a look at their history.

3: Hitting is allowed as long as it is not penalty sparking.

4: A Power Play is when one team have a player advantage because of the opposition getting a penalty. The team who got the penalty is shorthanded. Icing (when you send a Puck from your side to the other sides goal, and the opposing team gets it) does not occur.

5: There are normally 82 games a year, and in the course of the season teams will play around Canada and America to see who gets to the playoffs. The playoffs consist of 7 games in each bracket, and first to 4 wins. In the Stanley Cup Finals, the last team remaining in each conference will play for the Stanley Cup. The current holder is The Tampa Bay Lightning.

As for the team you support, I'm not a fan of them, but make sure you are not interested in any Canadian teams or the Oilers

EDIT: First Post as a normal member!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh one more thing Soapy.

When you get here and watch sportscentre or sportsnet, it's literally all hockey as much as possible. It'll be the number one topic and highlight reels. Even a meaningless game between shitty Ottawa vs. Winnipeg will be the first highlights you see even if the World Series is happening.

And there is a GIANT inferiority complex when it comes to sports, especially hockey where sports shows have this Canada vs USA, or Canada vs Russia angle, or Canadian boy from Cole Harbour NS Sidney Crosby vs. Russian Alex Ovechkin. It's really draining. It's probably because hockey is so big here and the only major sport Canadian athletes are good at so everyone latches onto it as the only sport to be good at. And during certain times of the year, Canada's second best sport (curling) will get similar treatment.

But then every other sport gets no patriotic coverage because the Canadian team sucks or doesn't even make it (FIFA).

You'll know what I mean when you get here and watch sports telecasts or the 11:00 pm sports roundup on TSN. And this is supposed to be "national" coverage.

There are no unbiased commentary games. Hockey always has these homer mentality from commentators. I used to watch ESPN Sunday Night Baseball with the old fat guy and black guy and those two were awesome. Didn't matter which teams played. Very balanced play by play.

You wont get that here. All games have a Canadian homer slant to it or a Canada vs. USA view.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

When I was a teen back in the 90's my uncle came in around my birthday with a bunch of caps and asked me to pick one. I picked The Leafs cap. Is this why I don't watch hockey?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Alright, I bought the NHL app on my Fire Stick and I am watching Toronto at 7. I already feel superior to the other Canadian teams fans.
Me too. Battle of Ontario.

Ottawa is a bad team now. And Leafs destroyed them in the playoffs 4 times in a row 20 years ago.

Ottawa did make it to the finals in 2007 or 2008 and got killed, but aside from that year they usually do horrible in the playoffs too. For a stretch they were one of the best teams in the league and would always get nailed in the playoffs. Kind of like Washington, but Caps finally one it.

Since so many Leafs fans would go to Ottawa to cheer Toronto on, there was a thing way back where Ottawa would try to ban Leafs fans from attending their games. One thing they tried to do is ban anyone buying tickets with a Toronto area code because Leafs fans would take over their arena.

Total babies.

So their arena would be full of blue and white fans and would yell making fun of Ottawa's captain in his own arena. LOL

Last edited:
srpoJtB.jpg

Oh shit I forgot the stadiums are empty

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
srpoJtB.jpg

Oh shit I forgot the stadiums are empty
Another thing to make fun of Ottawa.

There team is called the Senators as they try to play off the government angle, and they try to portray the team as tough like Roman soldiers.

Yet a senator is a politician.

When they made the finals and lost to Anaheim I think in the final game, the Ottawa dman and goalie scored on their own net and that sealed it. lol

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I am moving to Canada. I haven’t watched sports much. I understand the rules in the various sports, aware of the leagues and teams. Just never really got into watching.

But I am gonna take advantage of the land I am moving to. Gravy on fries, maple syrup, and even hockey.

I decided to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I like the team colors
whatever fuck you

Any experienced Hockey fans here. Other than the basic rules, what do I need to know in order to enjoy watching a game.
A Leafs fan? Welcome aboard, Soapyful-chan ♥️

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I am moving to Canada. I haven’t watched sports much. I understand the rules in the various sports, aware of the leagues and teams. Just never really got into watching.

But I am gonna take advantage of the land I am moving to. Gravy on fries, maple syrup, and even hockey.

I decided to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I like the team colors
whatever fuck you

Any experienced Hockey fans here. Other than the basic rules, what do I need to know in order to enjoy watching a game.

Detroit fan here. We used to be awesome, now we stink, but we're coming back. Mark my goddamn words.

Welcome to the best sport. Soapy.

Don't listen to Mista Mista . he's biased, idk if he has ice where he lives.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My wife is laughing about the guy having the last name Hyman
Just wait till you see a St Louis game. Dude called Shattenkirk.
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige you weren’t kidding about the shit defense.
LOL. You're not going to see too many games Leafs win 2-1.

To be fair it makes for good back and forth games. I'd rather watch a hit and miss Leafs team win or lose 5-3 than boring low scoring teams like Arizona or LA or Columbus score two goals per games.

The Leafs team DNA is all out offence. Their players are built that way. The old coach who got fired last year tried to instill some two way play from his Red Wings and Ducks days. It won't work. So the new young coach who took over just let them fly. Live and die trying to score 5 goals a game.

It would be like telling Lebron James to hold back and be a defensive star and try to have his teams win gritty low scoring games. Not going to work.

Last edited:

Erdrick

FUCK

THE

LEAFS

As one of the few relics of NHL-GAF, I will forever despise them and the rest of TSN and Sportsnet's continual circlejerk of the fucking Leafs.

Been a Winnipeg Jets fan since I was old enough to comprehend hockey. (R.I.P. Dale Hawerchuk... :messenger_loudly_crying:) When they were ripped away from me and tossed to the desert to die a slow death, I renounced the NHL pretty much, but I do have a soft spot for the Red Wings, not only because they have the best goddamned jersey in the entire league, but they were the first team I saw my Jets 1.0 play against.

I slowly got into the NHL again around 2009 or so and was watching the Wings occasiionally. But it wasn't until 2011 when the unthinkable happened here...

2011 converted me back hardcore into hockey with Atlanta having their team relocated to Winnipeg. I've adopted these players and basically anyway, all the current roster minus a couple, are players drafted from the current ownership and GM.

This season is going to really bring in the hate between Canada and their teams. It's gonna be great potentially. The Jets look to be improved with stability and more veteran experience this season too, but time will tell.

(If Laine is traded, put me on suicide watch, BTW.)

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
What you need to know is: There’s plenty other sports that are better than this snoozefest

I don’t know shit about it. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge enlightens you

Watch the NBA :messenger_unamused:

Hockey is actually entertaining as a live event but sucks on tv imo.

teezzy

Banned
FUCK

THE

LEAFS

As one of the few relics of NHL-GAF, I will forever despise them and the rest of TSN and Sportsnet's continual circlejerk of the fucking Leafs.

Been a Winnipeg Jets fan since I was old enough to comprehend hockey. (R.I.P. Dale Hawerchuk... :messenger_loudly_crying:) When they were ripped away from me and tossed to the desert to die a slow death, I renounced the NHL pretty much, but I do have a soft spot for the Red Wings, not only because they have the best goddamned jersey in the entire league, but they were the first team I saw my Jets 1.0 play against.

I slowly got into the NHL again around 2009 or so and was watching the Wings occasiionally. But it wasn't until 2011 when the unthinkable happened here...

2011 converted me back hardcore into hockey with Atlanta having their team relocated to Winnipeg. I've adopted these players and basically anyway, all the current roster minus a couple, are players drafted from the current ownership and GM.

This season is going to really bring in the hate between Canada and their teams. It's gonna be great potentially. The Jets look to be improved with stability and more veteran experience this season too, but time will tell.

(If Laine is traded, put me on suicide watch, BTW.)

Remind me to never show you my retro ass Leafs hat on Discord again...

awkward miley cyrus GIF

I watched the Boston/New Jersey game today. Had it on while I was doing some work around the house today. Seen New Jessy win in Overtime with less than 2 seconds on the clock. Very cool.

Erdrick

Apparently one of the Jets players potentially has Covid so practice was cancelled yesterday. Unsure if it will proceed today later either.

I guess this is going to be the norm for sports for the forseeable future.

Wonder if they will play on Monday in Toronto...?

Top Bottom