• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dig Sony's "marketing" around the PS5.

Hostile_18

Banned
At this stage and at this level Sony simply doesn't need marketing.
A few pics here and there is obviously enough to stir shit up like nothing is else.

It's like when the Rolling Stones do announce a new world tour and the tickets sell out shortly after.
There is nothing to proof when you have no real competition.

Let's just hope that Sony is not becoming to arrogant for their own good.

I'd argue they do need marketing. You never get to a point in business there your like "enough is enough" we dont need to sustain/grown the market anymore (and their shareholders definitley dont feel like that). If you look at where Sony were E3 2018 to where they are now optic wise technically speaking it is really bad.

It seems crazy beyond belief that arrogance would come around again after the hard earned lessons of the PS3 and X Box One but yet here we are, as you say. As I mentioned on my last post all the high end management turn over might be linked. Perhaps ultimately Sonys corporate structure now has too much beurocroacy and is getting pulled in too many different directions, vision wise.

Last edited:

Pallas

Reason he/she have to say it because every thread about PS5 gets filled by some people whom are having a psychotic breakdown and they have to come to spam some xbox comparisons and "bbbbut xbox can do this too... bbbbut 12 tflops!!". So yeah, it is fine to state that this is just about PS5 if OP wants to talk about PS5 and not to listen the never ending choir of parrots repeating same stuff. Some people are just too stupid to understand that we can talk about thing A without talking about thing B. Like we can talk about Honda specs without dragging every other car manufacturer in. I'm 99% sure that even OP asking not to talk about ps5 vs xbox = boneheads come to talk about how xbox did it better etc. Your comment kind of started it already and this comment kind of continues it.. see

Yeah and it works the other way around too in Xbox threads”b-b-but Cerny said...” or “b-b-but SSD !”

I get what you’re saying though. I’m not sure why some aren’t anxious to finally see what the PS5 will look like, so hopefully it becomes known sometime really soon since this beast is suppose to be coming to stores later this year.

Hostile_18

Banned
giphy.gif

It's true though. I'm considering going X Box and I never would have if Sony this last year hadn't happened.

I give a few examples with links and such in my OP to direct evidence of this approach generating huge word-of-mouth hyping among fans. On top of that, I acknowledged the good things XSX has done, and even speculated about ANOTHER area (decompression) in which people have said they may have the upper hand.

The suggestion that I'm being a fanboy is, like, fanboyism :p without reading the OP.

Last edited:

Pallas

I give a few examples with links and such in my OP to direct evidence of this approach generating huge word-of-mouth hyping among fans. On top of that, I acknowledged the good things XSX has done, and even speculated about ANOTHER area (decompression) in which people have said they may have the upper hand.

The suggestion that I'm being a fanboy is, like, fanboyism :p without reading the OP.

Aha I was just giving you a warning how these threads sometimes end up like but more about how Sony is marketing the PS5, they probably don’t need to market as heavy as say the competition but I just wish we knew more of the design besides what the controller looks like. I get it, they want to milk the PS4 to the maximum, but I hope they leave room and time for some deep marketing for the PS5 before it launches.

SaucyJack

It's true though. I'm considering going X Box and I never would have if Sony this last year hadn't happened.

So you're considering moving platforms because you don't have enough information on a console whose launch is more than 6 months away?

Even though the rival you are considering jumping to hasn't really given that much more information and hasn't shown any gameplay either.

Good for you, I suppose.

I prefer to wait for a more complete picture, even if I do want it now.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The PlayStation brand is so huge that they need only drop a picture of a Controller to win the internet.

Xbox brand isn't even in the same league.

I like both manufacturers, and I'll be buying both consoles, but Sony doesn't need to spend anywhere near on marketing as Microsoft does to achieve mass exposure.

Thirty7ven

Banned
An IPhone is revealed and launched within a month.

In tech that’s what a powerful brand can do, capture your attention and your wallet from the moment it is revealed. It doesn’t need to go on tour for months.

In a sense the marketing has been done for years now, it’s called a PS4.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Don't ridicule people who are unhappy with Sony's drip feed tactics.

They are just coming off the best product they have ever had and are treating those fans who helped thee product get there like irrelevant.

They might have reasons for doing what they are currently doing but I don think its unfair for a few people to not be happy.

Thirty7ven

Banned

They are just coming off the best product they have ever had and are treating those fans who helped thee product get there like irrelevant.

They might have reasons for doing what they are currently doing but I don think its unfair for a few people to not be happy.

Incorrect. They are treating those fans with Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

It comes down to forum wars nothing else, some people get upset because “the other guys” have more to talk about their next gen defacto console of choice. But they better because they have nothing to talk about regarding the one they have at home. They can’t even pre order the damn thing yet....

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

I think that is a little disingenuous.

We don't know why Sony is drip feeding details.

Some believe that the console simply hasn't been finalised yet whilst others believe they are hiding behind a poorly designed console. I believe Sony are just protecting its technologies until close to release.

I'm sure Sony with its vast experience knows exactly what they are doing, and will correct its course should things not be working out as intended.

There hasn’t realy been any marketing?
I get that your excited as is everybody else, I just wish they had the confidence to show the console. With the PS4 they showed the console off in February and launched in novemeber
PS4's reveal pattern was pretty much exactly the same as the PS5's has been so far. Tech specs in a developer conference, followed up by controller reveal, then came E3 with the actual console reveal.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Incorrect. They are treating those fans with Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

It comes down to forum wars nothing else, some people get upset because “the other guys” have more to talk about their next gen defacto console of choice. But they better because they have nothing to talk about regarding the one they have at home. They can’t even pre order the damn thing yet....

I think that is a little disingenuous.

We don't know why Sony is drip feeding details.

Some believe that the console simply hasn't been finalised yet whilst others believe they are hiding behind a poorly designed console. I believe Sony are just protecting its technologies until close to release.

I'm sure Sony with its vast experience knows exactly what they are doing, and will correct its course should things not be working out as intended.

I see both points made here. All i'm saying is that people can question why their marketing tactics have changed when compared to the marketing they had for the PS4.

Hostile_18

Banned
So you're considering moving platforms because you don't have enough information on a console whose launch is more than 6 months away?

Even though the rival you are considering jumping to hasn't really given that much more information and hasn't shown any gameplay either.

Good for you, I suppose.

I prefer to wait for a more complete picture, even if I do want it now.

If theres two companys and one is doing everything it can to try and win me over and the other is seemingly not that bothered, or taking my purchase for granted then certainly I'd consider switching over. If they were both fighting for my money right now I'd likely consider sticking with the console I've largely been really happy with.

I haven't made any decision yet but these kind of attitudes by companys are usually indicative of what's to come. For example I wasnt happy with the last 2 years of the 360, I felt the exclusives had dried up, adverts were on the dash etc and then the tv tv tv box got revealed and the rest was history.

It pays to read the tea leaves sometimes, or at least be cautious.

Last edited:
There. Is. No. Rush.

PS5 isn't until winter, people act like its coming out next week.

It could be possible that they can take care of all their marketing shortly before launch. Im pretty sure that after the next PlayStation event/reveal it will start to pick up alot of pace.

The real question is when that will be. Hopefully May but with the trackrecord of those insiders I have my doubts.

Three

They literally have no marketing and I'm OK with that. I don't need bullshit hype built from marketing. I need a good product, I need them to support gaming by creating great games, support future hardcore tech like VR, and continue doing what they're doing. I don't even care about PS Now but even that is turning out well with downloads and streaming already there.

I don't need them coasting on PR like other companies, I don't need false promises of the future, I just need them to release the good products that they have been releasing and then I'm well informed enough to make my own decisions without falling for bullshit marketing.

Saruhashi

Banned
Surely you can only judge the quality of the marketing in hindsight?

If PS5 outsells the other consoles on the market then it really makes no difference if we think the marketing campaign was good or bad.

I don't remember the PS4 launch at all but it's the best selling console of the generation by some considerable distance so...

I'd say it's almost certain that PS5 sells over 100 million units over it's lifespan.

The COVID-19 situation probably isn't helping.

If PS4 is still selling OK they probably don't want to push PS5 too hard right now.
I can imagine they have a reveal only a couple of months from launch.

Might even be that behind the scenes now there is a question of rescheduling the launch.

sircaw

Banned
There is a thing of blowing your load to early.

I think xbox have been better in terms of marketing at present but in reality what does it matter when you can't buy anything.

I think Sony will deliver the goods further down the line and that will be the only thing people will end up talking about.
I mean look at crappy channels like dealer, they have tonnes of xbox features revealed but they would rather spend most of their time talking about xbox.

Sony are masters in the console market.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't know how I feel about their marketing. It's just marketing, after all.

Sony has launched four mass-market consoles, plus the only non-Nintendo handheld to sell in respectable numbers. I don't think they need marketing to drum up brand interest. Gaming is one of their company's most successful ventures.

A strong happy article for Sony on some of the worst console marketing ever?
This forum is pro Sony sometimes its ridiculous. Might was well just rename it to sonyneogaf.com.
Worst ever? I wouldn't think it's that bad. It has plenty more of a presence online at the moment and the difference is showing. People don't stop talking about it, at the moment in the world any publicity is good publicity for the side that still has momentum.

I think they are building hype and while I think to myself they've got some great games coming in the near future and might not want to outshine those games before they reveal something meaty about next gen I just think that the repurposed GDC conference video presentation we got wasn't really the the right way to reveal to anything to the public for me personally .

dorkimoe

To be fair... they simply dropped am image of their controller, barely said a word and ended up as headlines across the world for a week straight with everyone making mock ups of their ideal color scheme of the controller.

Thats a different kind and level of marketing.
They could release a picture of a toilet bowl with a pile of shit in it and a ps5 sitting on it and their fans would still jerk off to it. They dont need proper marketing. They dont have to do anything they have a rabid fanbase similar to apple.

Mista

Banned
I’m not going to start talking about their way of marketing because I’m not the one that teaches a company with billions of dollars on marketing 101. They aren’t in a rush, they know they’re in a safe place (100m+ PS4 fanbase) and they’re definitely preparing things for the upcoming months. Even if I don’t like the way they’re doing things, it doesn’t matter honestly. By the way, MS would do the same if they were in Sony’s place.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
They could release a picture of a toilet bowl with a pile of shit in it and a ps5 sitting on it and their fans would still jerk off to it. They dont need proper marketing. They dont have to do anything they have a rabid fanbase similar to apple.

That's what happens when you consistently deliver. As opposed to relying on a fan base that every generation gets short handed and traded for promises of a better future. As it is MS knows the 360 is the exception and not the rule, and even then there were a lot of fucks ups and a terrible end stretch for the brand. They know they have their feet against the fire, and they need to make a lot of promises to their fanbase or they are getting their gamecube moment.

Last edited:
If theres two companys and one is doing everything it can to try and win me over and the other is seemingly not that bothered, or taking my purchase for granted then certainly I'd consider switching over. If they were both fighting for my money right now I'd likely consider sticking with the console I've largely been really happy with.

I haven't made any decision yet but these kind of attitudes by companys are usually indicative of what's to come. For example I wasnt happy with the last 2 years of the 360, I felt the exclusives had dried up, adverts were on the dash etc and then the tv tv tv box got revealed and the rest was history.

It pays to read the tea leaves sometimes, or at least be cautious.

And have you not been happy with the PS4's very decent game library and support you are still getting all gen long ?

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
OP, I don't really get your use of "marketing", I mean, with quotes

@thread
The dialogue of Cerny saying that big number teraflops doesn't really matter was great, specially to explain people that "doesn't matter how big is your dick, but how you use it". Kinda created another problem, because some people used this argument and the SSD aproach

The DualSense is a controller with a new apearence and new stuff, while the Xbox controller is just a better version of we already have. So makes sense to talk more about the inovation more than the evolution.

I guess that my only problem is with the fans who basically are saying that Sony won before starting.

Sony did basically the same thing with the PS4, showing techinical stuff before the console itself. I'm not a fan of this method, but I understand that they want speculation and hype, which helps marketing. I think that they will do just as good as the PS4.

Hostile_18

Banned
And have not been happy with the PS4's very decent game library and support you are still getting all gen long ?

I absolutely have. World Wide Studios have been nothing but amazing. But I can separate the gaming division from the business devision (and criticise a company I like alot on the whole).

- Worse refund policy
- Dragging feet with cross play.
- PS now not up to the level of Gamepass.
- Console specs not up to the competition in a number of key areas.
- Lack of Commnuication and ill advised Mark Cerny tech talk first look. Conflicting statements released (similar to XB1 launch).
- *Apparantly* major lack of focus on Backwards Compatibility (PS1-PS3).
- No smart play.. or if seemingly there it gives the impression they have been coerced into it by the competition.
- Failure to participate in major events for a sustained period of time.
- Keeping things like the cooling system a secret...
-Organisation leaders leaving under mysterious circumstances.

Just because the games are so good dosnt mean I'll turn a blind eye to everything else.

Liftplus

I dont care about their marketing much, we'll see everything when the console launches. The most important thing will still be the games that are available on launch.

Dodkrake

Banned

Haven't seen a playstation discord where people, including journalists, gather together to spread FUD on another console

OP, I don't really get your use of "marketing", I mean, with quotes

@thread
The dialogue of Cerny saying that big number teraflops doesn't really matter was great, specially to explain people that "doesn't matter how big is your dick, but how you use it". Kinda created another problem, because some people used this argument and the SSD aproach

The DualSense is a controller with a new apearence and new stuff, while the Xbox controller is just a better version of we already have. So makes sense to talk more about the inovation more than the evolution.

I guess that my only problem is with the fans who basically are saying that Sony won before starting.

Sony did basically the same thing with the PS4, showing techinical stuff before the console itself. I'm not a fan of this method, but I understand that they want speculation and hype, which helps marketing. I think that they will do just as good as the PS4.
Great input man, thank you.

I think some of the responses on this thread kind of mercilessly highlight my reason for the quotes, it was a nod to the chance that some people may identify a certain ambiguity in my use of the phrase~

I absolutely have. World Wide Studios have been nothing but amazing. But I can separate the gaming division from the business devision (and criticise a company I like alot on the whole).

- Worse refund policy
- Dragging feet with cross play.
- PS now not up to the level of Gamepass.
- Console specs not up to the competition in a number of key areas.
- Lack of Commnuication and ill advised Mark Cerny tech talk first look. Conflicting statements released (similar to XB1 launch).
- *Apparantly* major lack of focus on Backwards Compatibility (PS1-PS3).
- No smart play.. or if seemingly there it gives the impression they have been coerced into it by the competition.
- Failure to participate in major events for a sustained period of time.
- Keeping things like the cooling system a secret...
-Organisation leaders leaving under mysterious circumstances.

Just because the games are so good dosnt mean I'll turn a blind eye to everything else.

You know there were features that ps4 had at the start that the xbone didn't have ? ...Point is the features if they're a must have usually end up on both consoles in some form..I haven't enjoyed the GDC conference reveal I don't worship mark cerny either but I also know it will be a great console and know playstation as a brand you can trust to deliver great games all gen long I mean what more do you want... Complete support all gen long with great games 💪

I think they are building hype and while I think to myself they've got some great games coming in the near future and might not want to outshine those games before they reveal something meaty about next gen I just think that the repurposed GDC conference video presentation we got wasn't really the the right way to reveal to anything to the public for me personally .
That's a good idea

Hostile_18

Banned
You know there were features that ps4 had at the start that the xbone didn't have ? ...Point is the features if they're a must have usually end up on both consoles in some form..I haven't enjoyed the GDC conference reveal I don't worship mark cerny either but I also know it will be a great console and know playstation as a brand you can trust to deliver great games all gen long I mean what more do you want... Complete support all gen long with great games 💪

I see what your saying I just think no company is trust worthy in absolute terms. Things change, leadership changes. If we didnt as consumers call out things we didnt like games would be full of loot boxes now for one quick example.

I hope WWS ethos will affect the decision making at Sony rather than the other way around. I still think it always pays to be cautious. If you accept anything then companys do take advantage.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I feel like Sony's marketing hasn't really started yet. There was the basic spec info with all the expected hardware goodies, the DualSense reveal (that was cool) and the GDC ASMR (with some blowback).
People just want to SEE the console and the games. That's all they want. And until we get that, PS5 is just "announced", not "revealed".
But to some degree hype for the PS5 is so insane that their marketing department can do no wrong unless they pull an XBOX 2013.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
What marketing? Mark Carney talking to cardboard cutouts

Good metaphor for sony and its consumers tbh
Who's Mark Carney? Cardboard cutouts? Moron go and play with dollies and let the big people continue to have rational discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom