• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I do not mind delays!

kingfey

Banned
I don’t want to be a party pooper but I just find it unlikely that they’ll unveil any unknown big 2022 releases on that event. I think FM8 could get a 2022 release date though, already announced and Turn 10 have been quiet for some time now and might want to repeat what Playground did last year.
That is why It's better wait and see it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Coarse i want more. You also have to realise is that the competition only had games beginning of the year because of delays also. God of war was delayed from last year, gran Turismo was delayed from last year. Its a thing that is happening in the industry regularly and not just to Microsoft. Sony have had a great start to the year and some good game son my ps4 but lets remember they didn’t have a great end to last year. This is being blown way bigger than it is.

with the purchase of the new studios they will get into a position were they can get a major game out every 3-4 months no problem.

Things will happen.

I don't think people are disagreeing with you. And Covid/crunch affected the entire industry as we saw. But I would argue that multiple studios who had multiple delays still released games. It's been 5 years and Microsoft has not released anything substantial from their so called re-investment. And then you have games like Halo like other Covid hit studios releasing a game in such a poor state, then following it up with no new content for 6 months? Then to extend the season as content is not coming in a timely fashion.

Yes Horizon, and GT7 were pushed into 2022. But here's the thing, Sony has games like MLB the show, partnered titles like Sifu, Forspoken among other parntered titles through out the year. And they literally delivered games previous year with also exclusive third party like Kena, Fist.

If god of war makes it this year I think that really puts things into perspective of who's pipeline is in better shape when it comes to studio projects and a fiscal curation for yearly content. The issue people have is it's like Microsoft didn't plan their year out? Sony was able to adjust depending on what was going on behind the scenes. They have Hogwarts as a partnered title which is going to be one of the biggest releases this year. Also having Modern warfare 2 marketing deal as well.

What has Xbox partnered with? You would think if they knew since last year to even 2020 that undead labs, Initiative, 343 rare, all having issues they should be hunting for exclusive gamepass content to bolster up their lineup.
I actually think Sony pushed those titles into 2022 not just for polish, but to help bolster early part of 2022 since I believe God of war needed more time.

It just makes XBox look incompetent at managing software library. Everything is in flux and can be, so you have to plan for it. Feels like thats not the case in how Microsoft operated a fiscal library.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I do mind delays, specially because delayed games rarely launch in a great shape, delays nowadays meant development hell more than anything. By my own rule if a game receive delays I don't buy it day one, I'll wait to see how the game is running before committing to a purchase.

supernova8

Banned
It's not just delays. There hasn't been much exciting announced so that's why I don't mind delays. Cannot get any more disappointed when the excitement level is already at zero.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If god of war makes it this year I think that really puts things into perspective of who's pipeline is in better shape when it comes to studio projects and a fiscal curation for yearly content.

Member when god of war was a holiday 2021 release….

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't think people are disagreeing with you. And Covid/crunch affected the entire industry as we saw. But I would argue that multiple studios who had multiple delays still released games. It's been 5 years and Microsoft has not released anything substantial from their so called re-investment. And then you have games like Halo like other Covid hit studios releasing a game in such a poor state, then following it up with no new content for 6 months? Then to extend the season as content is not coming in a timely fashion.

Yes Horizon, and GT7 were pushed into 2022. But here's the thing, Sony has games like MLB the show, partnered titles like Sifu, Forspoken among other parntered titles through out the year. And they literally delivered games previous year with also exclusive third party like Kena, Fist.

If god of war makes it this year I think that really puts things into perspective of who's pipeline is in better shape when it comes to studio projects and a fiscal curation for yearly content. The issue people have is it's like Microsoft didn't plan their year out? Sony was able to adjust depending on what was going on behind the scenes. They have Hogwarts as a partnered title which is going to be one of the biggest releases this year. Also having Modern warfare 2 marketing deal as well.

What has Xbox partnered with? You would think if they knew since last year to even 2020 that undead labs, Initiative, 343 rare, all having issues they should be hunting for exclusive gamepass content to bolster up their lineup.
I actually think Sony pushed those titles into 2022 not just for polish, but to help bolster early part of 2022 since I believe God of war needed more time.

It just makes XBox look incompetent at managing software library. Everything is in flux and can be, so you have to plan for it. Feels like thats not the case in how Microsoft operated a fiscal library.

So the gakes you talked about that have release such as MLB is an updated version of the same game so easier to do

Horizon is also a sequel
To a game and uses the same engine and similar assists to, abet much better and higher quality

God of war doesn’t look a million miles off the ps4 version either , do not get me wrong I would put god of war on ps4 as one of the best games we ever seen. I do think god of war will make this year btw

Halo had a completely different engine so took its time, way to long and got delayed.

We got flight sim which was completely new

Another forza horizon game which better the last one and graphically really good but not a million times better.

There are lots of rumours of a new quake game , also we know starfield is just round the corner. Yeah it’s been pushed back a few months

The showcase is coming soon. If everything is 2023 or later then we can complain

Dane

Except that that even Forspoken was delayed, in fact, all of the Sony first party was delayed by a year or more, it would be even technically be a worst case because they are all sequels built on top of the previous games while Starfield is entirely a new game. Sometimes the schedule won't work and that's it.

Roberts

What has Xbox partnered with?

I don't know the specifics of their partnership, but they had timed exclusives at the beginning of the year: Crossfire X, Nobody Saves the World (on ps already), Shredders and Tunic this year.

Ukraine war stopped Stalker 2 development.

Last edited:
The delays are not the issue here; it’s the lack of games.

Focusing on only one tentpole release with no support releases isn’t a good strategy.

Microsoft did this with Halo infinite in 2020, and they did it again this year with Starfield.
Has a single AAA game not been delayed since 2020? Horizon and GOW were 2021 slated both pushed to 2022. Botw was 2022 slated pushed to 2023. Halo was 2020 slated pushed to 2021…it seems like an industry issue not a MS issue tbh.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't know the specifics of their partnership, but they had timed exclusives at the beginning of the year: Crossfire X, Nobody Saves the World (on ps already), Shredders and Tunic this year.

Ukraine war stopped Stalker 2 development.

You just proved my point. Crossfire X a game no one cared about nor did it even look good. Tunic though a great game, doesn't move the needle to make someone sign up for gamepass. No one cared about shredders either.

What big game? In 2019 they signed Red dead 2 and DMC5. In 2020 they had bethesda titles like Doom eternal started coming over. 2021 they had Outriders, mlb the show, Back 4 blood.

What big game did they sign in 2022? Guardians of the Galaxy and mlb are really only things I can think of that they signed that are larger titles.

It really does feel like everything hinged on redfall/Stafield and they had nothing for deals setup for first half of the year.

KXVXII9X

I don't think it should be whether delays are good or bad. It is more about why there are delays in the first place and if a delay will truly help the game or is it due to poor planning and management. If delays start becoming a pattern, that obviously isn't good.

Another thing, we are approaching two years into this generation. As more time goes by without proper next gen titles, it will make investing in current gen consoles feel like a waste. Some people are happy with higher framerates, 4K and faster load times, but not everyone is pleased with those incremental upgrades. Wasn't the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro promised to have 4K and some higher framerates. What is the point in buying a current gen console that doesn't do enough to differentiate from the previous one?

In my honest opinion, I find game quality has gone down significantly and having ANOTHER delay on a current gen only title just hurts more. I think people can be understanding and wait within reason, but at some point, there needs to be some form of accountability and return on people's investments. Not every delay magically fixes games.

KXVXII9X

Sifu is AA and it's fire. There's also a lot of good stuff from Japan coming this year
Sifu was the best opener of the year and I still can't get the game out of my head. It is a super polished AA title in the realm of Ori and Psychonauts 2. I would love more focus on highly polished AA titles. A lot of Nintendo games already feel that way and they seem to have a steady release schedule.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sifu was the best opener of the year and I still can't get the game out of my head. It is a super polished AA title in the realm of Ori and Psychonauts 2. I would love more focus on highly polished AA titles. A lot of Nintendo games already feel that way and they seem to have a steady release schedule.
I second this. I absolutely love Sifu: The art, combat/fighting choreography, audio, it's a masterpiece.

Roberts

You just proved my point. Crossfire X a game no one cared about nor did it even look good. Tunic though a great game, doesn't move the needle to make someone sign up for gamepass. No one cared about shredders either.
Obviously, none of these games will make millions of the undecided crowd go for GP subscription, but they help keeping the people who already have it. Nobody Saves the World is just about as good as indies get and it filled the void after I completed Halo SP campaign. Tunic was probably the most talked indie when it came out. Crossfire X is an unfortunate case, because mp is garbage, but single player campaigns are kind of fun if you want a discount version of CoD campaign. It's kind of like a Jason Statham action fluff compared to big summer tentpoles. Maybe MS should have released them separately and avoid embarrassment. Shredders is not really for me, but I appreciate MS supporting the devs, because it is a niche game for specific crowd that isn't getting spoiled on any of the consoles. So, yeah, Stalker 2 situation hurt, but I rather wish the developers and their families comes out of this alive and well.
Perhaps I'm a naive optimist, but I think the situation is not all that bad and it should only get better. There is always something to play on GP even if they are not exactly medium shattering bangers.

It really does feel like everything hinged on redfall/Stafield and they had nothing for deals setup for first half of the year.
I'm trying to avoid talking about it until 12th of June.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s not the same as it used to be and I feel it. It’s dry season and I am not ignorant. I just am not interested in very mediocre niche games. The games you speak of as AA are not what I would expect. When I hear AA I think of singularity for example. Not some weird obscure stuff.

I play indie games too. Forgotten city is the best game of last year for me for a reason….
Look at 2011 releases and stop pretending it’s not 10% of that nowadays

And once again, we are back to "Tell me you are ignorant of the modern gaming landscape without telling me you are ignorant of the modern gaming landscape."

I get that console warriors tend to be some of the most ignorant and short sighted folks around here and refuse to even *imagine* that other great titles release on platforms besides their own, but good fucking lord.

Papacheeks

Banned
Obviously, none of these games will make millions of the undecided crowd go for GP subscription, but they help keeping the people who already have it. Nobody Saves the World is just about as good as indies get and it filled the void after I completed Halo SP campaign. Tunic was probably the most talked indie when it came out. Crossfire X is an unfortunate case, because mp is garbage, but single player campaigns are kind of fun if you want a discount version of CoD campaign. It's kind of like a Jason Statham action fluff compared to big summer tentpoles. Maybe MS should have released them separately and avoid embarrassment. Shredders is not really for me, but I appreciate MS supporting the devs, because it is a niche game for specific crowd that isn't getting spoiled on any of the consoles. So, yeah, Stalker 2 situation hurt, but I rather wish the developers and their families comes out of this alive and well.
Perhaps I'm a naive optimist, but I think the situation is not all that bad and it should only get better. There is always something to play on GP even if they are not exactly medium shattering bangers.

I'm trying to avoid talking about it until 12th of June.

So let’s say they have a great show. Which I think in terms of games coming in 2023. We will see Avowed, and couple others. Still doesn’t answer wtf happened first 6-7 months of 2022. Regardless if they have forza, gears collection coming fall 2022.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And once again, we are back to "Tell me you are ignorant of the modern gaming landscape without telling me you are ignorant of the modern gaming landscape."

I get that console warriors tend to be some of the most ignorant and short sighted folks around here and refuse to even *imagine* that other great titles release on platforms besides their own, but good fucking lord.
Why are you so fucking annoying. Stop repeating yourself with your idiotic imaginary narrative.
It’s not something you can contradict. It’s a fact and it’s how I feel.

Calling me ignorant console warrior for not playing your niche games only makes you look ignorant.
It is a fact we don’t get many new games of the same caliber…. And I am such a console warrior. That 3080 pc is just a stand for ps5 right…..

Kwaide

Neo Member
I personally like playing the smaller budget and Indie games, So I have no shortage of games to play.
But I understand if your a gamer who primarily only plays the newest AAA games you might get upset by delays.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Today i was thinking about this

Man, just look at 2010: God of War 3, RDR, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Dante's Inferno, Enslaved, Heavy Rain, Darksiders, Bayonetta 2

So many AAA linear action-adventure games back then

Now you get these massive open-world games and indie games, but nothing in between
Part of it is the players fault. Why invest in new franchises when they buy the same call of duty/madden shit every year.

Camreezie

I think delays are only more frustrating once a company tells you the release date and are adamant it wont change. I dont mind reveal trailers at expos when we know the release is not coming for a long time but they arent honest about it and give us a window they must know will never actually come to pass

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why are you so fucking annoying. Stop repeating yourself with your idiotic imaginary narrative.
It’s not something you can contradict. It’s a fact and it’s how I feel.

Calling me ignorant console warrior for not playing your niche games only makes you look ignorant.
It is a fact we don’t get many new games of the same caliber…. And I am such a console warrior. That 3080 pc is just a stand for ps5 right…..

Yes, you are a warrior based on your long standing history on this site. You are also highly ignorant on games that actually release and continue to double down on claims that are blatantly false. I don’t care if they are games you dislike or don’t particularly care for - they are still games of the calibur you claim are almost non-existent.

But double down on the childish retorts and insults. Just further shows how you have absolutely no ground to stand on.

Mephisto40

The most ridiculous thing that seems to be happening more and more is when a game gets delayed, and then is still an incomplete buggy mess when it actually releases

Lupin25

In the end, what matters MOST is STUDIO & PRODUCT MANAGEMENT.

It doesn’t matter how many times a game is delayed, if a studio is working inefficiently & ineffectively, the game will drop poorly no matter what (ie. CP2077)

Last edited:

Gandih42

I too do not mind delays.

But for the people who do mind and the developers sake, I think it'd be good practice if publishers and developers stopped farting out deadlines they can't meet.

Top Bottom