• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get people who drink diet soda

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I drink Diet Coke because I like the taste :/
I actually cannot stand any other soda.

Diet coke here as well my friend, try diet Pepsi, you might actually prefer it over D. Coke lol.

I like both, don't like regular coke or pepsi that much, and coke zero even less.

OP, the thought of drinking regular sodas in general is repulsive because of the amount of sugar in them, you DO get used to diet if you switch and you'd never go back to regular if you do. Besides that diet tastes better, it's much sharper. Diet Coke and Pepsi taste better than their regular counterparts, with Pepsi edging out regular coke in taste I think.

Regular ginger ale I'd have over diet ginger ale. That's probably my only exception.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

It is funny reading all these comments about people wanting to avoid sugar. Coke and Pepsi stopped using real sugar in their mainstream beverages in 1984. You have not had a chance to drink sugar in 37 years.
What you are doing is drinking watered down swill with no flavor and hardly any health benefits. Diet soda is to sweet beverages what American beer is to alcoholic beverages. Bar-lowering crap.

Fortunately, Coke does make natural Coke intended for the Mexican market with Actual sugar and it tastes great, blows the high-fructose corn syrup version out of the water along with diet.
13280691035_5fe886fbf8_k-e1607008541534.jpg

And it still comes in glass bottles, too. It is more expensive than regular soda but I only drink it when paired with certain foods anyway. I drink fruit juice or smoothies the rest of the time. If health is your concern you should be drinking those anyway.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It is funny reading all these comments about people wanting to avoid sugar. Coke and Pepsi stopped using real sugar in their mainstream beverages in 1984. You have not had a chance to drink sugar in 37 years.
What you are doing is drinking watered down swill with no flavor and hardly any health benefits. Diet soda is to sweet beverages what American beer is to alcoholic beverages. Bar-lowering crap.

Fortunately, Coke does make natural Coke intended for the Mexican market with Actual sugar and it tastes great, blows the high-fructose corn syrup version out of the water along with diet.

And it still comes in glass bottles, too. It is more expensive than regular soda but I only drink it when paired with certain foods anyway. I drink fruit juice or smoothies the rest of the time. If health is your concern you should be drinking those anyway.

As far as your body is concerned there is no difference between sugar and hfcs. https://examine.com/nutrition/is-hfcs-worse-than-sugar/

Peggies

Gold Member
What's not to get? I love Coke Zero and of course it is healthier compared to normal Coke because it has no sugar.
Arguing that soda itself is unhealthy is another question but if you like soda you should stick to the sugar free type or see it as a little meal.

Anyway, I can't have it at the moment because of the caffeine. When's the caffeine free Coke coming?

DavidGzz

What's not to get? I love Coke Zero and of course it is healthier compared to normal Coke because it has no sugar.
Arguing that soda itself is unhealthy is another question but if you like soda you should stick to the sugar free type or see it as a little meal.

Anyway, I can't have it at the moment because of the caffeine. When's the caffeine free Coke coming?

BigBooper

Calories in calories out. Basic math on this. If you assume 2000 calories a day, one can of regular Coke would be 5% of that. If you only drank one can occasionally, yea that probably wouldn't be much in the grand total, but most drive thru drink sizes are 1.5 to 3 times that. Not to mention the glucose spikes, dehydrating effect and maybe other considerations.

Don't fall for the anecdotes. If you don't understand what they're saying, there's a decent chance they don't either and it's made up.

INC

Diet soda is the drink equivalent of a comb over

You're living a lie

Last edited:

INC

Quit spreading misinformation, kid. Stick to video games. Then maybe when you're wrong about something you won't have to resort to child-like behavior.

OK OK no need to get roid rage dude, enjoy diet coke, its nearly 11:30 after all

INC

I'm super laid back. Roids and 911 dispatching would probably not mix well. "Just do it, then!"

Well let's be serious then

Aspartame was developed around the time the FDA banned the artificial sweeteners cyclamate (Sucaryl) and saccharin (Sweet'N Low). Lab tests showed that massive doses of these two compounds caused cancer and other disorders in laboratory animals.

2020 study

I'll stick to water i think, but you think its still safe, then carry on, but ill keep staying away from these types of drinks, add to that diet anything tastes like shit

If thats you in the pic, then I presume u see your body as a temple, so why risk putting this shit into your body? I mean your choice, but fuck that, for the sake of a shit tasting drink

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Well let's be serious then

Aspartame was developed around the time the FDA banned the artificial sweeteners cyclamate (Sucaryl) and saccharin (Sweet'N Low). Lab tests showed that massive doses of these two compounds caused cancer and other disorders in laboratory animals.

2020 study

I'll stick to water i think, but you think its still safe, then carry on, but ill keep staying away from these types of drinks, add to that diet anything tastes like shit

If thats you in the pic, then I presume u see your body as a temple, so why risk putting this shit into your body? I mean your choice, but fuck that, for the sake of a shit tasting drink

Animals are not people. I've been putting it in my body all of my life and I'm almost 40, look the way I do(avy) and get routine bloodwork. Everything is in the healthy range. Countless studies and there is zero proof it's unhealthy in humans. It is a huge help in keeping me from over eating so the alternative is gaining fat which is proven to be really unhealthy. I'll keep keeping on.

INC

Animals are not people. I've been putting it in my body all of my life and I'm almost 40, look the way I do(avy) and get routine bloodwork. Everything is in the healthy range. Countless studies and there is zero proof it's unhealthy in humans. It is a huge help in keeping me from over eating so the alternative is gaining fat which is proven to be really unhealthy. I'll keep keeping on.
Please do
But I'm good

I dont drink fizzy drinks anyway, only time is when I have a JD and coke (not diet), which is rare, since I only really drink either

Then again I smoke, so I guess I should stfu haha

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I don't drink, smoke, I get 8 hours of sleep per day, never had a cavity, have had a healthy body fat percentage since my late teens, imagine if a sweetener, that I honestly don't get much of, did me in.

Lectured by a smoker. Is this real life? Sorry man, but lol. Not trying to start anything. We're cool. Reminds me of my buddy who gives me shit for eating occasional donuts and pizza while he takes a smoke break mid way through our workout. :D

INC

I don't drink, smoke, I get 8 hours of sleep per day, never had a cavity, have had a healthy body fat percentage since my late teens, imagine if a sweetener, that I honestly don't get much of, did me in.

Lectured by a smoker. Is this real life? Sorry man, but lol. Not trying to start anything. We're cool. Reminds me of my buddy who gives me shit for eating occasional donuts and pizza while he takes a smoke break mid way through our workout. :D

Hence why I said I should stfu ;)

Arnie is smoker, didn't stop him tho, did it tho

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Like I said elsewhere. Once upon a time I went for a zero-sucrose life (with cheat days such as birthdays) and managed to delude myself that Coke Zero tastes exactly like the real thing.

When I tried the real thing again, realizing my mistake took all of a single, short sip.

I try to avoid soda altogether, though. It’s just unhealthy, no matter what’s in it that makes it sweet. I’ll drink it on occasions, but I virtually never buy a bottle to keep it in the fridge just in case.

AJUMP23

I buy the mexican cokes or the real sugar MT Dews regularly.

TheMan

I really dislike artificial sweeteners in general but I guess some people like the taste? I'd rather just drink less soda than replace it with shit, but to each their own i reckon

Last edited:

segasonic

It’s really not any healthier for you than regular soda and it certainly doesn’t taste better. If you’re that desperate to lose weight or not put on weight than don’t drink soda or lose weight like a normal person, by, you know, exercising now and again. If you like the taste of soda then just drinking a fucking soda. Drinking diet soda is like eating a double whopper, but asking them to hold the Mayo to cut out a few extra calories. And the diet soda thing might be worse, because whatever small amount you gain in the sugar department, you’ll get hit with extra carcinogens.
I rather not have Diabetes, thank you!

Fbh

There's isn't much to not get though.
People are told sugar is bad and they should reduce their calories intake. Company sells them a product they like with no sugar and no calories. People buy it.

I'm not a regular soda drinker (maybe once or twice a moth), but when I do get one I usually go for the diet one because the regular ones are extremely sweet.

Much more prefer the less syrupy taste of diet soda. Diet soda today continues to impress me taste wise, its nothing like the earlier ones. the last full sugar soda I had I found it a burden to drink.

segasonic

Regular sugar is bad as well. The fructose (created by the digestive system by splitting the sucrose) fucks up your liver.

SpiceRacz

Diet soda soda is healthier than non-diet soda. The issue is when you're drinking an excessive amount regularly.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I pound back a Ztevia if I'm hankering for some sugary pop type drink but I've found carbonated water has gotten rid of most cravings. I was a big pop drinker 20 years ago but surprisingly doing a low carb diet kind of killed sugary drinks for me.

Susurrus

I miss Coke Life. It isn't 0 calorie, but still much less than regular Coke. But more importantly, I actually enjoyed it more, was super smooth and the taste was great. I guess the US had it briefly, but I was living in Germany at the time. It was actually pretty hard to find it in Germany as well, but we were pretty close to the French border, and would shop there on occasion, and I'd buy a bunch of cans of it there. Been a little while though, so not sure if it is still around. It certainly isn't anywhere I've in back in the US.
3rz4XFr.jpg

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Please don't drown your sorrows in a Big Mac.

Well I’m actually really cool and awesome so that’s not something I would do, but I completely understand your stereotypes of America and its people. Because for every butter soft American you see there’s someone you don’t see that’s putting in the work. I’m not that guy of course, but theoretically..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Coke Zero, Pepsi Max and Diet Dr Pepper are all good and very close to the regular stuff. As susurrus mentioned above with Coke Life, that was a good one too. It must had sold crap because I haven't seen it in years.

Terrible looking green can. I bet that must had contributed to it not being around much.

Top Bottom