• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t like how hd(not sure if right term) ruins older movies and even newer stuff on YouTube tv

dcll

Banned
My girlfriend recently signed up for YouTube TV and I don’t know if it is a setting that can be changed but I do not like the picture on most things. For years I have used jailbroke Apple TV and Fire TVs to watch all my shows and movies and I am not liking the higher quality stream on some stuff, I am not sure what to call it or describe it. For example, we were watching Christmas Vacation and it was ruined because it was looking like a more modern movie, not a fan of that at all. The same goes for Breakfast Club, I may be in the minority but I prefer the older look, not the modern looking quality. Is this something I can adjust or change in tv settings or YouTube tv?

Mistake

I kind of like the old look for some reason. I watched some hd xfiles and it felt like a completely different show

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I remember a few of my friends having problems with their new tv's. Some new tv's have a function that's called motion smoothing enabled by default. It creates a soap box opera effect with movies and shows. It's good for sport but not for shows and movies. Maybe that's what's bothering you?

I_D

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I remember a few of my friends having problems with their new tv's. Some new tv's have a function that's called motion smoothing enabled by default. It creates a soap box opera effect with movies and shows. It's good for sport but not for shows and movies. Maybe that's what's bothering you?
This is my bet as well.

"Motion Plus," "Motion Smoothing," "Motion Interpolation," etc. is the likely candidate.
It has a variety of names, but it's all essentially the same thing: The TV is estimating frames to add between the actual frames to give it a 120hz-ish look, and it's always terrible. I've never seen a single instance of it actually being good.

My girlfriend recently signed up for YouTube TV and I don’t know if it is a setting that can be changed but I do not like the picture on most things. For years I have used jailbroke Apple TV and Fire TVs to watch all my shows and movies and I am not liking the higher quality stream on some stuff, I am not sure what to call it or describe it. For example, we were watching Christmas Vacation and it was ruined because it was looking like a more modern movie, not a fan of that at all. The same goes for Breakfast Club, I may be in the minority but I prefer the older look, not the modern looking quality. Is this something I can adjust or change in tv settings or YouTube tv?
Are you sure you are not referring to some higher framerate shit your TV is doing?
That's what ruins older movies for me if this setting is activated.

They look like 80ies sitcoms.

add/edit: Yay, what Elektro Demon said. That's normally the culprit, and you can deactivate that on your TV.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I remember correctly, Apple TV auto applies motion smoothing to the video, which makes it look shitty. I'm not sure if you can turn it off.

Soodanim

Gold Member
While I agree that older films shot on actual film look much better than digitally shot films, I have to agree with everyone else that it’s not the resolution doing it. I have Blu-Rays of old films and they look fantastic, because they haven’t lost anything about their look.

dcll

Banned
I don't know if it is this motion stuff on some TVs but I am talking about how clean and new these old movies look, guess I have just been used to dvd or low res streams and then all of a sudden the quality is much higher and I just don't like the look. I will try and see if the tv we are using has that motion stuff turned on

Last edited:

thefool

So, this has nothing to do with hd but most likely your tv settings having some option ON, like motion interpolation. Motion interpolation adds intermediary frames to remove motion blur. This might be decent for sports and shit like that but it looks weird on movies because you're not used to that look. The cinematic motion look we're all used is 24 fps 1/48 shutter speed. When you play with either of these settings, it's easy to notice it looks different.

Old films should look really good btw. Normal 35mm celluloid has a lot of detail and an unique texture. If it's too clean, there might be some digital noise reduction going on, which effectively is, erasing parts of the picture to remove grain.

Last edited:

SegaShack

OP isn't talking about resolution or motion smoothing. He is talking about how when old films are made for Bluray and HD TV Broadcasts they clean it up and recolor it and brighten it up so it no longer looks like film anymore.

Basically the color timing and contrast on Blurays (even for old films) are done to make it look like modern/current releases. Even 4K continues this trend by making films even brighter and more colorful than they ever looked (even in theaters back on release).

In my opinion laserdisc and early DVDs (pre 2002) were the last time films looked like film. If you watch a VHS, LD or an early DVD of a movie you will usually see an accurate look of a film transfer with very minimal cleanup/alteration.

There are exceptions here and there where they keep the film looking like film, such as The Godfather Restoration on Bluray, but people complain that film accurate movies are "too dark", "too grainy", or "not colorful enough".

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sounds like maybe a motion smoothing problem?

Movies for most of film history have been lower FPS and not meant to run at 60fps. Nowadays there is software that converts and it ends up making everything look like a soap opera.

Batiman

Banned
I think you just miss the rough look. I guess for some movies I could agree. For most HD older films, they try to capture the directors real vision. Something they couldn’t really capture with older film.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I watch a lot of older 4:3 content on my CRTs for a similar reason. Just feels off on the 16:9 flat boys

GloveSlap

I get that there is some nostalgia for the low rez versions you grew up with. If hd/4k isn't for you then i would just pick up DVDs since they are dirt cheap now. I'm all about the 4k scans though, but i agree digital tinkering should be kept to a minimum.

Hell, i grew up with full screen and Pan and Scan VHS/broadcast tv. I have some nostalgia for it still, but those were completely butchered and bastardized versions of the source material in most cases.

MetalAlien

Banned
Since I watched most of those old movies in the theater I like blu rays shown on my projector it feels like the way I first saw them.

Top Bottom